Dutch Does Hammer Strength

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
For years, I have arranged my workouts around using primarily Hammer Strength equipment (eg BP, Seated Rows, Pulldowns and Shoulder Presses) and the Power Rack (Close Grip BP/Extensions and Rack Deads) to meet my goals which have always been powerlifting oriented. I just like to lift heavy, so I'm an old nut. On another thread here I got moved to respond and include a vid to show that my Supplementation and Equipment choices do work even for us oldtimers. I thought I would post it here if all of you svelte bodybuilder types don't mind. This was taken last October as I turned 66. This is my HS attempt at 360 lbs.
P9040029.AVI

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking strong.

I find Hammers to be the only thing remotely close to free weight workouts, and even a couple of the machines superior.

BTW...we had that machine at the gym on base-it was great...and I haven't seen it since then. :(

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I like this machine because it has a good up and back motion that I am comfortable with. The backside is for Triceps Pressdowns. I love it because I can go really heavy with it. I am getting back near my P R again and will do another vid when I can rep 14 plates ie 630 lbs.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I like this machine because it has a good up and back motion that I am comfortable with. The backside is for Triceps Pressdowns. I love it because I can go really heavy with it. I am getting back near my P R again and will do another vid when I can rep 14 plates ie 630 lbs.
That machine is also amazing for explosive movement training. I can usually explode up at around 105% of my 1rm and do my own negatives.

It's also great for sticking points and static holds.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
I WISH my gym had that piece of equipment. I last used that when I was in Venice Golds...that gym has a huuuge variety of great equipment.

The gym I usually use only has the vertical chest press Hammer Strength plate loaded machines (Incline, decline, wide-grip) also the weight stack versions of HS, Cybex, LifeFitness and Naut.

What do you guys think about these HS vertical machines?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I WISH my gym had that piece of equipment. I last used that when I was in Venice Golds...that gym has a huuuge variety of great equipment.

The gym I usually use only has the vertical chest press Hammer Strength plate loaded machines (Incline, decline, wide-grip) also the weight stack versions of HS, Cybex, LifeFitness and Naut.

What do you guys think about these HS vertical machines?
I dig the incline and standard HS BP...something about the angled movement really knocks my pecs together. I find them VERY useful for extremely slow negatives and static holds without worrying about injuries.

The wide BP has an odd movement, but if my joints are loosened up, it can be useful as well.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
I dig the incline and standard HS BP...something about the angled movement really knocks my pecs together. I find them VERY useful for extremely slow negatives and static holds without worrying about injuries.

The wide BP has an odd movement, but if my joints are loosened up, it can be useful as well.
The other day I saw a guy using the HS incline in a unique way...he sat side ways (side saddle style) w/ his shoulder against the back pad. He then grabbed the handle with the one arm closest to the back pad and pressed forward which ended up being across his chest (since he was sitting sideways). He held the contraction and repeated for more reps. Then flipped to the other side and did the same w/ his other arm/chest.

I guess the movement ends up being a Pec Dec movement with more range of motion in the contracted position. I thought I might try it as a boutique finishing movement.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you locked out the second rep, nice try. I'm completely kidding, that was awesome man, very impressive.

AGELESS

AGELESS

Awards
  • Established
Way to go Dutch...360 - great video!

My max is around 210...But Im talking about just getting out of bed LOL

Last week I tried a heavy set during a back and Lat exercise, and before I got to 10 (somewhere around 5 or 6) I started to lose my hearing, so I stopped.

Has that ever happened to you? I think it might be Blood Pressure

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Big Dawg and Alexander, I'm kinda proud of hanging in there at my age. You should see the looks I get from some of the youngsters in the gym when they see this old fart pushing around heavy weights in most of his exercises.

Ageless, I haven't had the hearing problem. In fact I had been struggling with my Blood Pressure but a couple of months ago I made a few additions to my daily supplementation and geez it's fallen down to the 118/80 range. I'm not sure which is contributing most to the improvement but what I added was 5 gms of Fish Oil + 2+gms of Flax Seed Oil, 6,000 IU ED of Vitamin D and a prostate cream with 3 mgs of micronized Progesterone with Saw Palmetto and Beta-Sitosterol. All three of them are reputed to have some effect on Blood Pressure. Have you tried any of them?

As for my lifting, I would love to take a run at achieving a fraction of your outstanding success in BBing but I still harbor an old dream. If I can just get past my latest RC injury and stay healthy for a while, I figure adding and training with a good bench shirt should put me in a position to do some real damage in a seniors BP competition. Most of the national BP records I have found for my age bracket 65-69 and weight 199 to 220 are in the 365 to 405 range. I would love to own one of them someday. Hence my staying on the powerlifting approach to training.