Does Yoga "Blow You Up"?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
One of my co-workers, from many years ago, really believed Yoga could be used in supplement, or even substitute for free weights.

He thought Yoga really can add core strength, muscle size, etc.

Is there any truth in that?

Which yoga, if any helps with bodybuilding goals?

My guess is power yoga.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I guess if you do strength building yoga moves with a weighted vest you could get stronger and build some muscle.

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did they have 50lb dumbbells strapped to their arms and legs?

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Blow you up? No. Could one become very fit lean and even somewhat muscular using mostly Yoga and other body weight type exercises. Sure. Could you add some weightlifting to that? Sure.

IIRC Jackie Chan never or almost never used free weights. Is he super swole? No but he's certainly in good shape to this day. Georges St.Pierre incorporated yoga into his training but certainly did plenty of weightlifting and various other conditioning as well.

You're not gonna look like big Ramy from Yoga and no weights, though.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Every guy I know that does yoga, not that I know many but I know a few that don't lift weights and do yoga. There skinny fat. My cousin works out and does yoga and he made a big thing about the increased flexibility was gonna help build more muscle and he started pulling muscles left and right. Said it's because of the weights and that he needed to do more stretching, except he didn't start getting all the injuries until he started doing stretching all the time.

I think if you enjoy it you should do it but don't expect it to do much for you in terms of building muscle, and if you already lift weights then it's definitely not going to build any additional muscle