Do You Consider 200mg Caffeine per day too much?

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take 200mg every morning. It lasts most the day, but I've been thinking of taking a break. I don't drink coffee or PWOs, so that's the only caffeine I get all day.

What say you guys? Is that a normal amount?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
you are kidding, right?

caffeiene is probably the most abused substance in the world...200mg daily is well below the average consumption, imo.

P.brow17

P.brow17

Awards
I take 200mg every morning. It lasts most the day, but I've been thinking of taking a break. I don't drink coffee or PWOs, so that's the only caffeine I get all day.

I’ve been taken over 3x that every day for the last 5 years

Totally subjective question. Do you have underlying cardiac issues? low tolerance to stims? High BP?

Reactions: JYD

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, not kidding. I am considering giving it up after being sick all last week and not taking any. No major withdrawals, and as I'm ramping back up to 100% health, I'm just curious if that amount is one that people find to be a decent daily limit. I've read 400mg is the top limit for most people before it gets to be an issue.

I have no health issues or anything. Just been reading a lot about dopamine.

P.brow17

P.brow17

Awards
No, not kidding. I am considering giving it up after being sick all last week and not taking any. No major withdrawals, and as I'm ramping back up to 100% health, I'm just curious if that amount is one that people find to be a decent daily limit. I've read 400mg is the top limit for most people before it gets to be an issue.

There is more than 200mg caffeine in alot of Starbucks drinks lmao

Tunaking14

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Depending on your health of course and that fact that different people have issues with caffine, I've always read that if you stay below 600 mg/day you will be fine. That being said, tons of people consume 800 mg/day or more with no issues. I consume 300-400 three or four days a week with no issues. It depends on lots of factors but 200 mg/day "should" be safe for most. Of course I'm not a doctor so talk to one if you feel better about that.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Man I remember when I first started taking Pre's and was blitzed out of my mind at 200mg per serving.

Even had to check labels and sometimes try to find ones with less.

Now I look at labels and see 350mg of Caff and I'm like...I dunno, seems underdosed. Will this work?

faksakes.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Man I remember when I first started taking Pre's and was blitzed out of my mind at 200mg per serving.

Now I look at labels and see 350mg of Caff and I'm like...I dunno, seems underdosed. Will this work?

faksakes.
Haha same bro

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

faksakes.
i've gone full circle, these days i "TRY" to keep caffeine at around 200mg, but it isn't easy, seems it's in everything, lol.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I'm sorry to hear that you were sick last week. I hope that you're feeling better. I'm glad that you didn't get any caffeine withdrawals.

There's generally no right or wrong answer and unless there's a medical issue involved, its really just personal choice and how it makes you feel.

As a society, we're so much more exposed to caffeine than we used to be. I remember when energy drinks first came out, there was Red Bull at 80 mg. per can and then there was Rockstar that pushed the limes at 160 mg. Now days, 300 mg. per can on an energy drink is the norm and Starbucks has took caffeine content for coffees to a whole new level haha.

My personal daily caffeine consumption is normally between 350 and 500 mg. depending on the day. Which the 350 mg. is still actually less than in some Starbucks drinks. I do space mine out more throughout the day than most people do though.

My personal opinion on Dopamine is that people go from one extreme to the other and that we're in one of those swings right now. Years ago, high dose stuff to affect Dopamine was considered desirable and the norm. Now we seem to be in a trend where some are super worrying about it. For me, I think the best bet is to find the level that you feel the best at and go from there.

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It would be healthier if you drank coffee. But no 200mg is very tolerable for most people unless you are sensitive to it or have an exclusionary health condition.
I don't like making coffee and don't mind drinking it if it's cold (not a fan of hot drinks). But why do you suggest coffee over just a pill; curious?

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't like making coffee and don't mind drinking it if it's cold (not a fan of hot drinks). But why do you suggest coffee over just a pill; curious?
Coffee also has theobromine in it for more of a long lasting kick in addition to the caffeine. Plus it is a good antioxidant and And plenty o studies on health benefits of coffee.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Coffee also has theobromine in it for more of a long lasting kick in addition to the caffeine. Plus it is a good antioxidant and And plenty o studies on health benefits of coffee.
i agree, been a lot of studies lately on benefits of coffee...i would recommend getting caffeine from coffee over a pill any day.

'coffee drinking tied to beneficial brain changes' web md.

Vitruvian Man

Vitruvian Man

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Coffee with raw honey is my go to when I’m sick

Always makes me feel 1000x better

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
U silly one!! 200mg a day is absolutely fine and healthy. Actually drinking a coffee in bed and about to sleep.

Last edited:

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I mean the less the better, but 200? No . Especially if you spread it out throughout the day. I usually average 200-400, but I've cut out energy drinks and pres, only coffee now. Unless on special occasions, I'll have an alani nu or monster sugar free

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If I drink 300 mg of caffeine worth of coffee, I am energized and feel good
If I drink 300mg in a pre, I am energized and have a crazy pump/euphoria if its clean

I drink a bang and I am lethargic lol

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
i agree, been a lot of studies lately on benefits of coffee...i would recommend getting caffeine from coffee over a pill any day.

'coffee drinking tied to beneficial brain changes' web md.
Agreed here. I'm a daily morning coffee drinker and workout after I have my coffee in the mornings. Great source of caffeine and then you can throw in a non stim pre before workout as well.

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have 1 or 2 instant coffees a day probably giving anywhere from 80-120mg each and my pwo has 200mg, rest of the day i have decaff because i just do like a hot coffee to drink regardless of any caffeine effect. So on a gym day I'd be getting at most 440mg, on a non gym day as little as 160mg, i dont think I've ever noticed any negatives of having more or less tbh.

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great info, fellas; thank you. ...I'll look at this coffee suggestion. Are they brands you recommend and/or any good 'off the shelf' options that I could drink at room temp that have the same positive effects as a daily brew?

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Great info, fellas; thank you. ...I'll look at this coffee suggestion. Are they brands you recommend and/or any good 'off the shelf' options that I could drink at room temp that have the same positive effects as a daily brew?

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
One thing to be sure of is using paper filters if you use ground coffee, the metal filters let some type of oil through that is bad for you where as paper filter will catch that

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you have protein shakes often try putting a scoop of instant coffee with vanilla whey, use some ice cubes if your going to blend it or water/milk if your taking it to work for lunch etc

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm sorry to hear that you were sick last week. I hope that you're feeling better. I'm glad that you didn't get any caffeine withdrawals.

There's generally no right or wrong answer and unless there's a medical issue involved, its really just personal choice and how it makes you feel.

As a society, we're so much more exposed to caffeine than we used to be. I remember when energy drinks first came out, there was Red Bull at 80 mg. per can and then there was Rockstar that pushed the limes at 160 mg. Now days, 300 mg. per can on an energy drink is the norm and Starbucks has took caffeine content for coffees to a whole new level haha.

My personal daily caffeine consumption is normally between 350 and 500 mg. depending on the day. Which the 350 mg. is still actually less than in some Starbucks drinks. I do space mine out more throughout the day than most people do though.

My personal opinion on Dopamine is that people go from one extreme to the other and that we're in one of those swings right now. Years ago, high dose stuff to affect Dopamine was considered desirable and the norm. Now we seem to be in a trend where some are super worrying about it. For me, I think the best bet is to find the level that you feel the best at and go from there.
Speaking of these energy drinks in cans, they all claim 300mg, but they don't even hit near as close as any pre with 300mg. They all feel like 80-100mg's in them. Sometimes I wonder.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
@poison is a coffee expert.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
@poison is a coffee expert.
:lol: Of course I have recommendations, totally biased by the way! But yeah, coffee definitely has benefits over straight caffeine, and
One thing to be sure of is using paper filters if you use ground coffee, the metal filters let some type of oil through that is bad for you where as paper filter will catch that
There are studies showing the oils can raise cholesterol, but it's a very nominal effect, and not at all anything to fret about if you don't have a known problem. While drinking unfiltered coffee had a nicely positive effect on all cause mortality, and unfiltered had a lesser effect by about 50%, both were positive additions to overall health. Drink whichever you prefer.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used to draw the line at 300mg. That was before kids. I can still make it through a day on 300 if I get a good nights sleep. But I go as high as 600 on the weekends when I workout and entertain my kids. 600 is my current line in the sand.

And as others have stated, I have read about a lot of good benefits on drinking 2-6 cups of coffee a day. Just dont drink it to drink it.

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Of course I have recommendations, totally biased by the way! But yeah, coffee definitely has benefits over straight caffeine, and

There are studies showing the oils can raise cholesterol, but it's a very nominal effect, and not at all anything to fret about if you don't have a known problem. While drinking unfiltered coffee had a nicely positive effect on all cause mortality, and unfiltered had a lesser effect by about 50%, both were positive additions to overall health. Drink whichever you prefer.
Can you link where you got those numbers please

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Its behind a paywall so i cant read but the picture is pretty clear

Diterpenes in coffee raise ldl cholesterol, a metal filter allows these through where as a paper does not, unfiltered (french press and the like) has 30 times more of these diterpenes than paper filtered.

The author of the Norwegian study Professor Thelle had this to say "For people who know they have high cholesterol levels and want to do something about it, stay away from unfiltered brew, including coffee made with a cafetière. For everyone else, drink your coffee with a clear conscience and go for filtered."

Given the lifestyle choices a lot of forum members make cholesterol is a factor most of us like to keep in check, given the choice between higher or lower ldl i personally will take lower everytime. I agree it's not something to lose sleep over and its everyones choice i don't care what anyone wants to drink but i do want to establish that i posted no "mumbo jumbo"
Screenshot_20220113-001137.jpeg

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It says :

Norwegian researchers gathered health data on 508,747 men and women 20 to 79 years old and followed them for an average of 20 years. The participants also reported the type and quantity of coffee they drank — filtered through paper or brewed using unfiltered methods like French press or espresso.

Drinking filtered coffee was associated with a 15 percent reduction in the risk of dying prematurely from any cause in both men and women. But rates were lower when the coffee was unfiltered: Men who drank unfiltered coffee had a 4 percent reduction, and women a 9 percent reduction.
In other words, coffee = good. Don't over think it. Both are healthier than bangs and whatever other swill people are drinking.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have about 200mg per hour !!

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have about 200mg per hour !!
I had to read the first post over to make sure I wasn’t reading it wrong. Most soda probably has a good amount of caffeine. Coffee I think is 170mg. Tea is around 120mg depending on type or some where around there. Caffeine is everywhere so why try and avoid it if you don’t have to.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I used to draw the line at 300mg. That was before kids. I can still make it through a day on 300 if I get a good nights sleep. But I go as high as 600 on the weekends when I workout and entertain my kids. 600 is my current line in the sand.

And as others have stated, I have read about a lot of good benefits on drinking 2-6 cups of coffee a day. Just dont drink it to drink it.
Hey man not sure if you have tried Apollo’s Stim Nootropic product called Overtime? If you haven’t I definitely would suggest it to try going on what you just posted. I only half dose it with taking 4 caps and it has been great for long lasting energy, alertness and focus. It helps me keep up with my young kids on the weekends. During the week it’s great for work too.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
regular coffee is good but espresso is way better. especially for pwo. I'm addicted to Nespresso

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I had to read the first post over to make sure I wasn’t reading it wrong. Most soda probably has a good amount of caffeine. Coffee I think is 170mg. Tea is around 120mg depending on type or some where around there. Caffeine is everywhere so why try and avoid it if you don’t have to.
Some people don't respond well to stimulants so I understand in their cases.
And then some people like to take breaks from it so it gives them more energy when they start back on it.

But you're right, its everywhere; and I think most people likely take in a lot more per day than they realize. A lot of people here may keep up with it, but I mean the average person.

12 oz. soda - averages 38 to 43 mg.
20 oz. soda - averages 70 to 80 mg.
1 shot of espresso - averages 80 mg.
1 cup (8 oz.) regular coffee - averages 80 mg.*

Energy drinks average from 83 mg. (small Red Bull) to 300 mg. (Bang and Rockstar Xdurance).

* The 80 mg. per cup of coffee is based on coffee that you make at home, like regular coffee. Gourmet coffees can have much more; and most people don't drink just 8 oz. Most of my travel mugs for example are 16 or 24 oz. so that would be 160 mg. to 240 mg.

Focus XT has 161 mg. active caffeine which is pretty much perfect for a nootropic bc too many stims can overpower the nootropic benefits. But we get asked all the time if we're ever going to do a higher stim one and this year we may bc we have so many people ask.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lets see today

(1) Serving Naturally Shredded 300mg
(3) 16 oz Coffees 480mg

so I'm at 780mg for the day

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Lets see today

(1) Serving Naturally Shredded 300mg
(3) 16 oz Coffees 480mg

so I'm at 780mg for the day
Nice. And it's only 3:27 EST. :ROFLMAO:

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey man not sure if you have tried Apollo’s Stim Nootropic product called Overtime? If you haven’t I definitely would suggest it to try going on what you just posted. I only half dose it with taking 4 caps and it has been great for long lasting energy, alertness and focus. It helps me keep up with my young kids on the weekends. During the week it’s great for work too.
I actually have V2 and like it a lot. I think I’d like V3 even better with less AY and the addition of Hordenine. And like you, a half serving is my jam for energy on the weekends. I’ll probably splurge again on V3 once my V2 bottle is gone.

Warner6419

Awards
Hi everyone;

We all know that caffeine is good for our body at a minimum amount. The biggest benefit of caffeine is that it helps to boost our memory and mental functioning. Caffeine also lowers the risk of cancers. Caffeine improves your metabolic system. We take caffeine because it increases our energy level and we stay active as well as fit and we do our work constantly. But taking too much caffeine is not good for our body, it can affect our liver, lungs and cause us sleepiness.

But you can take a 200 mg dose of caffeine per day but not more than 400 mg per day because it can be very harmful to your body.

To get more information about how much caffeine you can take per day and what are its effects click here.

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
lol false
Hi everyone;

We all know that caffeine is good for our body at a minimum amount. The biggest benefit of caffeine is that it helps to boost our memory and mental functioning. Caffeine also lowers the risk of cancers. Caffeine improves your metabolic system. We take caffeine because it increases our energy level and we stay active as well as fit and we do our work constantly. But taking too much caffeine is not good for our body, it can affect our liver, lungs and cause us sleepiness.

But you can take a 200 mg dose of caffeine per day but not more than 400 mg per day because it can be very harmful to your body.

To get more information about how much caffeine you can take per day and what are its effects click here.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This dude is funny !!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

I consume about 600-800mg spread through out most days, that's a bit on the high side but 200 is nothing and 400mg is not dangerous either, maybe if you're extremely caffeine sensitive and you take 400 mg all at once. I'm working on eliminating most of my caffeine but I'm doing it because I want to get some caffeine sensitivity back.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
On a side note, caffeine (coffee) is one of the most addictive substance on the planet. There are people who go bat **** crazy if they don't get there garbage cup of Dunkin' donuts coffee every morning, my girlfriend is one of those ppl.

But more ppl use caffeine then any other drug on the planet and it's considered a psychoactive substance lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
On a side note, caffeine (coffee) is one of the most addictive substance on the planet. There are people who go bat **** crazy if they don't get there garbage cup of Dunkin' donuts coffee every morning, my girlfriend is one of those ppl.

But more ppl use caffeine then any other drug on the planet and it's considered a psychoactive substance lol
And literally as soon as I posted that message my girlfriend walked through the door and handed me a cup of Dunkin coffee.
IMG_20220302_163148308.jpg