Diet Help Needed

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
I just started a new job that is 8-5 and only have a lunch break for food and none around the computers/lab I am working in. So I need some help diet wise. I am trying to cut; I got injured and have let myself slip a little bit.

I am 6'1, about 185-190 lbs. I am thinking about trying to get in around 2200 calories a day.

So here is what I am thinking:
Breakfast: around 7-7:30
Oats + Whey Shake + Eggs. Aim for around 500 Calories

Lunch: Around 12-1
Chicken + Whole Grain Carb Source(need help here, thinking brown rice)

Dinner/Pre WO: 5
not sure what to do here because I want to workout early enough. Protein Shake and Oats again?

Post Workout: 630-7
Protein Shake immediately after. Cook dinner(chicken, tuna, beef)

Prebed: 10-11
Cottage Cheese(bad idea while cutting?)

I need help with some good carb sources, things I can think of now:
wheat pasta and bread
brown rice
oats

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Looks good from what you got.

You ever thought about getting some snacks for the in between meals while you are at work?

Brown rice is an oustanding source of low GI carbs so no problem there with the chicken. Wheat pasta is even better for that other meal you were referring to, I like the Barilla Plus omega-3 pasta (yellow box) the best, little less grainy then the brown boxed wheat pasta.

Cottage cheese before bed while cutting is fine. It will help keep your nitrogen balance in the positive.

Preworkout meals should be very low in fat, low gi, and slightly high on protein. Oats are a good fit there, yes.

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
What Lake said. IF your really serious about the cut. You should probably be around 2500 cals at your heightish... :) Try getting at least one HEALTHY snack inbetween your meals. THis will allow your matabolism to keep burning and thus your body is less likely to store more fat....

~Mk

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
I need help with some good carb sources, things I can think of now:
wheat pasta and bread
brown rice
oats
COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned)
Sweet Potatoes
Yams
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
Potatoes (red, baking, new)

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussels sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

Enjoy.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned)
Sweet Potatoes
Yams
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
Potatoes (red, baking, new)

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussels sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

Enjoy.
For the most part that is right although I would stay away from the regular potatoes and jasmine rice. The aim is to keep GI low.

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. Any suggestions on a snack to carry with me? Protein bars? A shake maybe?

I started working this in a little already. The breakfast is keeping me full for a while which is a good thing.

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
In the morning I recommend a cup of oats with a scoop of whey. In the eveing some cottage cheese with cinnamon....

~Mk

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Actually, for breakfast I don't know if just oats and whey would be the best route to take. Eggs have been proven to improve satiety throughout the day. I definitely notice it because my second meal is where I am the least hungry and I have eggs for breakfast. Just keep the amount of whole eggs used to a minimum and use 2-4 egg whites along with it. If you aren't going to be able to eat in between breakfast and lunch then obviously add a few more calories. Protein bars are fine for work, or you can make yourself a shake and bring a bagel or something. A shake can be blended from anything. Oats, protein, peanut butter, some use olive oil, milk, fruit, etc.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've noticed that too when I eat eggs for the first meal, LM.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I've noticed that too when I eat eggs for the first meal, LM.
Yeah I wish I would get this damn effect at 12:30am when I am up and craving every food possible ;).

Jason_L

Awards
If it were me, I'd through a shake in a few hours before/after lunch - you have an awfully big gap there.

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
Actually, for breakfast I don't know if just oats and whey would be the best route to take. Eggs have been proven to improve satiety throughout the day. I definitely notice it because my second meal is where I am the least hungry and I have eggs for breakfast. Just keep the amount of whole eggs used to a minimum and use 2-4 egg whites along with it. If you aren't going to be able to eat in between breakfast and lunch then obviously add a few more calories. Protein bars are fine for work, or you can make yourself a shake and bring a bagel or something. A shake can be blended from anything. Oats, protein, peanut butter, some use olive oil, milk, fruit, etc.
Oh, I was saying if he needed a snack after his eggs... thats what I thought he asked, to have a half a cup to a cup of oats with a scoop of whey.... thas all I meant :) I totally agree... eggs is da **** :)

Speaking of which, time to get crackin on a dozen....:D!!

~Mk

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. I think I will start carrying some protein bars/shakes and a fruit or something as a snack to eat on a quick break.