Deadlifting: Mixed grip or regular, palms-down grip?

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For those of you who hate reading: It's always safer to use a palms-down grip.

Pulling with a mixed grip in which one palm faces down and the other faces up puts way too much stress on the biceps of the palm-up hand, and it greatly increases your risk for injury. It's not uncommon to see biceps that have torn away from the elbow and crawled back up to the shoulder as a result of overloading the arm with a mixed-grip deadlift. The sholulder is also in a dangerous position when you're lifting with a mixed grip. It's at a mechanical disadvantage when your palm is up, and that's bad if you're trying to lift hundreds of pounds off the floor. If the risk of the injury weren't bad enough, the mixed grip can also lead to muscle imbalances, especially in the trapezius, which can end up bigger on one side than on the other. So much for that attempt to be proportionate!

The bottom line is only use the mixed grip if you're training for a competition in which you need every advantage to lift heavier. Otherwise, hold the bar with your palms down and wear lifting straps if your grip is weak.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Really? I'd buy the biceps part, but imbalance? Hmm. Most DL'ers use a mixed grip only, AFAIK, and I wouldn't say imbalanced physiques run rampant.

What do I know, I'm a lightweight, shooting for 405 this year. I use mixed grip only. I'd like to know.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The bottom line is only use the mixed grip if you're training for a competition in which you need every advantage to lift heavier. Otherwise, hold the bar with your palms down and wear lifting straps if your grip is weak.
I've heard this all before, but I hate using the double overhand grip for conventional deads and I can't stand using straps, just chalk for me.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
If you been doing mixed grip for long time then your body adapted to it. But when I tried mixed grip it didn't feel right at all. I just use straps.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I've always done mixed, it's just more comfortable to me.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, sorry, I don't buy the 'wear straps if your grip is weak' line. How about strengthening your grip, hmm?

Formula94

Formula94

Awards
From what I've heard, PLrs use the mixed grip because it is stronger and in comp you can't use straps. However, if you're in the gym and not training for PL comps (like me) I'd just use a pronated grip and straps.

donk

Awards
Don't use straps. Use chaulk. Stay double overhand till the weight gets to heavy. Then go mixed grip and make sure to change which hand is over and under each set.

2fresh

2fresh

Awards
Mixing the grip also helps from the bar rolling in your hand

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Don't use straps. Use chaulk. Stay double overhand till the weight gets to heavy. Then go mixed grip and make sure to change which hand is over and under each set.

Or, or I just use straps when I dl 415 for 10 few sets on the row. I don't give a **** if my grip too weak for this kind of weight. Mkkkay?
If mixed grip works for you, then... good for you, but don't tell me what I need to do. :)

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I pull mixed grip, but I'm careful to watch the strain on my bicep. The last thing I need is for the damn thing to tear on me. As with anything, you just have to be careful and listen to your body. Some guys do better with the hook than mixed grip. It's definitely an individual thing. I've got Shrek hands, so mixed works best for me.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I use a mixed grip up to 405, and than palms down, with straps if necessary when I go heavier.