DEA trying to make TRT via Telehealth illegal. Comment by 3/31/23 for them to review

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

The DEA is planning to make getting TRT via Telehealth illegal. You can comment to them at the link above to let them know you do not agree. They are shutting down the comments on 3/31/23 so go get your voice heard on this topic.

This video explains a bit about the proposed rule

The actual proposed rule is here.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
They are not making it illegal just putting BS restrictions of 30 days worth at a time.

"The proposed rules would provide safeguards for a narrow subset of telemedicine consultations—those telemedicine consultations by a medical practitioner that has: never conducted an in-person evaluation of a patient; AND that result in the prescribing of a controlled medication. For these types of consultations, the proposed telemedicine rules would allow medical practitioners to prescribe:

• a 30-day supply of Schedule III-V non-narcotic controlled medications;
  • a 30-day supply of buprenorphine for the treatment of opioid use disorder
without an in-person evaluation or referral from a medical practitioner that has conducted an in-person evaluation, as long as the prescription is otherwise consistent with any applicable Federal and State laws. The proposed rules are explained in further detail for patients and medical practitioners on DEA.gov."

So as long as I go to my PCP once a year and get a "referral" this will not be an issue. Should I NEED to do this? **** NO, of course not. As an adult I should be able to buy whatever the **** I want, end of story. Alas I live in this reality so it is what it is.

My only real issue with this is now having to pay for shipping every freaking month which will DOUBLE the cost of my meds.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
They are not making it illegal just putting BS restrictions of 30 days worth at a time.

"The proposed rules would provide safeguards for a narrow subset of telemedicine consultations—those telemedicine consultations by a medical practitioner that has: never conducted an in-person evaluation of a patient; AND that result in the prescribing of a controlled medication. For these types of consultations, the proposed telemedicine rules would allow medical practitioners to prescribe:

• a 30-day supply of Schedule III-V non-narcotic controlled medications;
  • a 30-day supply of buprenorphine for the treatment of opioid use disorder
without an in-person evaluation or referral from a medical practitioner that has conducted an in-person evaluation, as long as the prescription is otherwise consistent with any applicable Federal and State laws. The proposed rules are explained in further detail for patients and medical practitioners on DEA.gov."

So as long as I go to my PCP once a year and get a "referral" this will not be an issue. Should I NEED to do this? **** NO, of course not. As an adult I should be able to buy whatever the **** I want, end of story. Alas I live in this reality so it is what it is.

My only real issue with this is now having to pay for shipping every freaking month which will DOUBLE the cost of my meds.
True but that would increase the amount I pay for my TRT by 1000-1200 a year which makes it almost unaffordable with the bang up job they have done with the economy.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
True but that would increase the amount I pay for my TRT by 1000-1200 a year which makes it almost unaffordable with the bang up job they have done with the economy.
I agree, it doubles my cost as shipping goes to 25/month vs 25 $every 20 weeks. The fact that we need a permission slips for this to begin with is complete BS in a "free" nation. That aside they CAN script you more than 30/days worth IF you visit a local PCP and they "refer" you to the HRT place. This is what I used to have to do, go to my PCP once a year and they do a physical and sign a piece of paper I faxed to the HRT clinics. It's a little added pain yes but a far cry from having to travel to the HRT place once a year OR have an order come every month and in reality its a good idea to see a PCP once a year anyways so you have them if the need arises vs having to find a Dr. taking new patients and so on.

The trans community is very upset about this, and lord knows you don't want them upset...........I'll leave it at that. They have way more political capital than joe blow on trt so I do hope hormones get an exemption on this.

My main issue is the click bait I see going on with headlines like "War on TRT" "No more TRT" and so on as that is not the case, our betters simply want us peasant's to jump through some hoops....................what else is new.