D-Ribose

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
I have always been somewhat of a believer in Ribose unit recently. The clinical data pretty much disproves it as an aid in anerobic capacity. What's interesting is one of the studies is from John Berardi himself, contributor to t-rag (the manufacturer of Ribose-C). :p

Effects of ribose supplementation on repeated sprint performance in men.

Berardi JM, Ziegenfuss TN.

Applied Physiology Laboratory, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197, USA. [email protected]

This study used a randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover design to evaluate the effects of oral ribose supplementation on short-term anaerobic performance. After familiarization, subjects performed 2 bouts of repeated cycle sprint exercise (six 10-second sprints with 60-second rest periods between sprints) in a single day. After the second exercise, bout subjects ingested 32 g of ribose or cellulose (4 x 8-g doses) during the next 36 hours. After supplementation, subjects returned to the laboratory to perform a single bout of cycle sprinting (as described above). After a 5-day washout period, subjects repeated the protocol, receiving the opposite supplement treatment. Ribose supplementation lead to statistically significant increases in mean power and peak power in sprint 2 (10.9 and 6.6%, respectively) and higher (although not significant) absolute values in sprints 1, 3, and 4. In conclusion, ribose supplementation did not show reproducible increases in performance across all 6 sprints. Therefore, within the framework of this investigation, it appears that ribose supplementation does not have a consistent or substantial effect on anaerobic cycle sprinting.

Effects of oral d-ribose supplementation on anaerobic capacity and selected metabolic markers in healthy males.

Kreider RB, Melton C, Greenwood M, Rasmussen C, Lundberg J, Earnest C, Almada A.

Exercise and Sport Nutrition Laboratory, Center for Exercise, Nutrition and Preventative Health, in the Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation at Baylor University, Waco, TX 76798-7313.

Oral D-ribose supplementation has been reported to increase adenine nucleotide synthesis and exercise capacity in certain clinical populations. Theoretically, increasing adenine nucleotide availability may enhance high intensity exercise capacity. This study evaluated the potential ergogenic value of D-ribose supplementation on repetitive high-intensity exercise capacity in 19 trained males. Subjects were familiarized to the testing protocol and performed two practice-testing trials before pre-supplementation testing. Each test involved warming up for 5 min on a cycle ergometer and then performing two 30-s Wingate anaerobic sprint tests on a computerized cycle ergometer separated by 3 min of rest recovery. In the pre- and post-supplementation trials, blood samples were obtained at rest, immediately following the first and second sprints, and following 5 min of recovery from exercise. Subjects were then matched according to body mass and anaerobic capacity and assigned to ingest, in a randomized and double blind manner, capsules containing either 5 g of a dextrose placebo (P) or D-ribose (R) twice daily (10 g/d) for 5 d. Subjects then performed post-supplementation tests on the 6th day. Data were analyzed by ANOVA for repeated measures. Results revealed a significant interaction (p =.04) in total work output. Post hoc analysis revealed that work significantly declined (NDASH;18 +/- 51 J) during the second post-supplementation sprint in the P group while being maintained in the R group (NDASH;0.0 +/- 31 J). No significant interactions were observed in peak power, average power, torque, fatigue index, lactate, ammonia, glucose, or uric acid. Results indicate that oral ribose supplementation (10 g/d for 5 d) does not affect anaerobic exercise capacity or metabolic markers in trained subjects as evaluated in this study.

No effects of oral ribose supplementation on repeated maximal exercise and de novo ATP resynthesis.

Op 't Eijnde B, Van Leemputte M, Brouns F, Van Der Vusse GJ, Labarque V, Ramaekers M, Van Schuylenberg R, Verbessem P, Wijnen H, Hespel P.

Exercise Physiology and Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, B-3001 Heverlee, Belgium.

A double-blind randomized study was performed to evaluate the effect of oral ribose supplementation on repeated maximal exercise and ATP recovery after intermittent maximal muscle contractions. Muscle power output was measured during dynamic knee extensions with the right leg on an isokinetic dynamometer before (pretest) and after (posttest) a 6-day training period in conjunction with ribose (R, 4 doses/day at 4 g/dose, n = 10) or placebo (P, n = 9) intake. The exercise protocol consisted of two bouts (A and B) of maximal contractions, separated by 15 s of rest. Bouts A and B consisted of 15 series of 12 contractions each, separated by a 60-min rest period. During the training period, the subjects performed the same exercise protocol twice per day, with 3-5 h of rest between exercise sessions. Blood samples were collected before and after bouts A and B and 24 h after bout B. Knee-extension power outputs were approximately 10% higher in the posttest than in the pretest but were similar between P and R for all contraction series. The exercise increased blood lactate and plasma ammonia concentrations (P < 0.05), with no significant differences between P and R at any time. After a 6-wk washout period, in a subgroup of subjects (n = 8), needle-biopsy samples were taken from the vastus lateralis before, immediately after, and 24 h after an exercise bout similar to the pretest. ATP and total adenine nucleotide content were decreased by approximately 25 and 20% immediately after and 24 h after exercise in P and R. Oral ribose supplementation with 4-g doses four times a day does not beneficially impact on postexercise muscle ATP recovery and maximal intermittent exercise performance.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Boing!

An oldie dragged up from the AM crypts!

Basically, we know that D-Ribose is not a great anabolic aid and it's use in BBing has not turned up anything extraordinary.

But in the most recent issue of LE Magazine (thanks Dr John!), LEF talks up the use of D-ribose for cardiovascular support..particularly for those who have cardiomyopathies.

I am suspicious that I may have a small issue in this department, but am not scheduled for a cardio checkup for another few months. I have always taken a long time to recover from workouts, long hikes et cetera so I may look into ribose supplementation purely for the recovery aspect.

Anyone used this and what, if anything did you notice???

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Boing!

An oldie dragged up from the AM crypts!

Basically, we know that D-Ribose is not a great anabolic aid and it's use in BBing has not turned up anything extraordinary.

But in the most recent issue of LE Magazine (thanks Dr John!), LEF talks up the use of D-ribose for cardiovascular support..particularly for those who have cardiomyopathies.

I am suspicious that I may have a small issue in this department, but am not scheduled for a cardio checkup for another few months. I have always taken a long time to recover from workouts, long hikes et cetera so I may look into ribose supplementation purely for the recovery aspect.

Anyone used this and what, if anything did you notice???

LOL, I bought some today after reading that same article. I'm not really expecting to feel anything....just seemed like a reasonable product to help recharge ATP reserves when I'm feeling rundown.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Lol, I'm not looking for amazing results, but I did like their claims about it helping to recover energy levels faster. Being wiped out for 3-4 days after a heavy day is not an option right now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
u_e_s_i Supplements 6
THOR 70 Male Anti-Aging Medicine 11
Chamaan Supplements 4
Supplements 5
Supplements 8