Consumer Report: Muscle Milk

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Meh. He expends a lot of effort in pointing out that glycocyamine is bad but then talks nothing about what doses or blood concentrations it takes to achieve these bad effects.

I thought I had heard that Cytosport was taking out the glycocyamine...anyone heard more?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Back in March I thought about buying a tub of Muscle Milk (eventualy decided against) but did read the ingredients at the store. I found it interesting because I had heard of the glycocyamine compaints so wanted to see for myself and in one tub it containted the glycocyamine however in one tub right next to it (same flavor and size) there was no listing of glycocyamine. I found it quite odd so checked it out when I got home and found online that some people had found the same thing and apparently attributed it to a "new" batch or new formula of muscle milk. I have not looked at it since or heard anything concrete of a new formula that has it taken out for good (however I have not seen the ingredients for muscle milk lite) but muscle milk collegite has none of it in it.

EDIT**
However \ 83%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
** Percent Daily Values not established.

INGREDIENTS: EVOPRO(TM) Our Custom Evaluation based protein, peptide, and amino acid matrix, designed to closely reflect the nitrogen components and ratios found in human mother's milk (Micellar Alpha and Beta Casiens and Cassienates, Whey concentrates, rich in Alpha-Lactalbumin, Whey Isolates, Whey Peptides, Purified Bovine Colostrum Extract rich in Secretory IgA and IGF-1, Glutamine Peptides, L-Taurine, Lactofemin). LEANLIPIDES(TM) Lipid complex selected for thermogenic and unique energy properties (Canola Oil, BETAPOL (TM) [Enzyme Engineered Polyunsaturated Long-Chain Vegetable Oils] MCT's, L-Carnitine), Maltodextrin, CYTOVITE I(TM), Vitamin and Mineral premix consisting of (Vitamin A acetate, cholecalciferol, d-alpha-tocopherol acetate, ascorbic acid, folate, thiamine monohydrate, riboflavin, niacinamide, pyrodoxine HCL, cyanocobalamine, biotin, pantothenic acid, di-calcium phosphate, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, ferrous fumerate, magnesium oxide, copper gluconate, and zinc oxide), gum arabic, ENDOCREATINE (TM) our proprietary, patent pending endogenous creatine precursor (Glycocyamine, betaine anhydrous, SAMe [S-Andenosylmethionine]), Natural and Artificial flavors, lecithin, sucralose.

This was taken from a reputable supplement retailer (not the ctyosport website) and if there was a mass attempt to fix this problem I would have thought that it would have been changed at the manufactures request? Once again speculating but curious to the answer to this question

Last edited:
xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Welcome to last year :whip:

Anywho, yes Cytosport did take out the Glycocyamine, sometime last year as well....

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Footantantly, I sooofered no drain bramage from the glidecocyamean!

Bee bee boo boop!

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Meh. He expends a lot of effort in pointing out that glycocyamine is bad but then talks nothing about what doses or blood concentrations it takes to achieve these bad effects.
That's a great point....

Welcome to last year :whip:

Anywho, yes Cytosport did take out the Glycocyamine, sometime last year as well....
The article is about ten months old so that would make sense. Good point.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Naw I know :) I didn't even know about the glycocamine issue up until recently. I haven't been keeping up with the industry in quite a long time because I don't take anything commercialized - I haven't for a really long time, especially Muscle Milk (even longer).

I don't believe in any of the products that are out there. There's no proof any of the stuff out there even works so I won't waste my money and time praying that what I'm taking works...

The only way I'll take a product is if it has a double blind placebo controlled study done on it proving it does what the company says to do. Either that or if the company plays for me to get blood work done lol.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
I love me some MM protein. I must be a noob. :D

You know, I also love me some free NO-Xplode... I got a thing for supps that taste good. :p

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Footantantly, I sooofered no drain bramage from the glidecocyamean!

Bee bee boo boop!
Did you just say something, I'm running a little slow today... since my muscle milk shake... wait what am i doing again?

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wrote Cytosport an e-mail regarding this issue.

Here is the response I finally got from Cytosport:

Danny,

Thank you for your email.

There have been recent inquiries corresponding to the ingredient
Glycocyamine in our Original Muscle Milk formula.

The use of Glycocyamine with Betaine was based on a study published by Dr.
Henry Borsook, in the Annals of Western Medicine and Surgery. Taking
Glycocyamine alone may deplete Methyl groups in the body. Therefore, it is
suggested to take Trimethylglycine (TMG) or Betaine with Glycocyamine to
provide the body with a large quantity of these needed methyl donors. One
of the uses of these Methyl donors is to metabolize and detoxify the body of
homocysteine. This is important because elevated levels of homocysteine may
be linked to heart disease. Betaine Anhydrous is coupled with Glycocyamine
in our product to increase the amount of Methyl donors available in the
body, to increase our body's natural Creatine production and to lower
homocysteine levels. Glycocyamine plus Betaine Anhydrous is what we refer
to as Creatine GCC.

Searching the web you can find articles both pro and con in regards to
Glycocyamine. Bodybuilding.com posts an article by Derek Cornelius,
reviewing products that contain Glycocyamine, and supporting the use of this
ingredient when formulated with Betaine in a 4:1 ratio.

Unfortunately, some individuals and organizations have taken information and
used it to specifically target Muscle Milk to try and raise doubts about its
safe use.

To date, millions of servings of Muscle Milk have been sold and safely
consumed. There is not one adverse report from our happy, satisfied users.
Several versions of Muscle Milk are currently available on the market. If
Glycocyamine/Betaine is of concern to you, please look for the Muscle Milk
ready-to-drink version, Muscle Milk n' Oats, Muscle Milk Light or our Muscle
Milk Collegiate products which do not contain these ingredients. If you
have not tried these products, please let us know and we would be happy to
send you a sample.

We do take your concerns and comments seriously and will continue to
research this issue further.

Best Regards,

Stasha Rice
Sales & Marketing Coordinator

Cytosport - Home
4795 Industrial Way
Benicia, CA 94510
888-298-6629
707-748-5732 fax

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication, and any documents, files or
previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential
information that is legally privileged. Do not read this e-mail if you are
not the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, or a
person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of
the information contained in or attached to this transmission is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
immediately notify us by e-mail, forwarding this to the e-mail address above
or by telephone at (707) 751--3942, and destroy the original transmission
and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you.
I love the last part :) "Do not read this e-mail if you are
not the intended recipient."

You guys are all going to jail.:D

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I wrote Cytosport an e-mail regarding this issue.

I love the last part :) "Do not read this e-mail if you are
not the intended recipient."

You guys are all going to jail.:D
Actually you are for distributing it
:toofunny:

However I agree to a degree with what they have to say, but it is pure ignornance to say "safely
consumed", because we are talking about long term effects, not short term.

Furthermore, I think David Barr had an agenda. I posted this on T-nation, but it never made it. Funny though his articles about MM came after a few posts about Biotest crying about their protein sales...

If you are still concerned, read this from the AHA:

The American Heart Association has not yet called hyperhomocysteinemia (high homocysteine level in the blood) a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. We don't recommend widespread use of folic acid and B vitamin supplements to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. We advise a healthy, balanced diet that's rich in fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat dairy products. For folic acid, the recommended daily value is 400 micrograms (mcg). Citrus fruits, tomatoes, vegetables and grain products are good sources. Since January 1998, wheat flour has been fortified with folic acid to add an estimated 100 micrograms per day to the average diet. Supplements should only be used when the diet doesn't provide enough.