Carb cut-off

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Curious how late in the day folks are taking in carbs such as white rice, oatmeal etc.. I've typically been stopping carbs by 630 or so and going to bed around 1030, having protein meals between those times

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I train in the AM after 1 meal, so I infact load my carbs in the evening before. So my last meal of the day is my third highest carb meal, my pre workout meal is my second highest and post workout is the highest.

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I train in the AM after 1 meal, so I infact load my carbs in the evening before. So my last meal of the day is my third highest carb meal, my pre workout meal is my second highest and post workout is the highest.
I train at the end of the day but during the day il eat about 25-30gm carbs with each meal, give or take depending on the day, and then my last meal of the day is post workout and will have over 100gm of carbs.

I think if someone is worried about fat gain then cutting off carbs at whatever time is way, way,way less important then total calories.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I train first thing in the morning before work. My concern is getting fat if I eat too many carbs before bed. If I keep the carbs clean maybe it would be worth giving it a try to take them in before bed?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I train first thing in the morning before work. My concern is getting fat if I eat too many carbs before bed. If I keep the carbs clean maybe it would be worth giving it a try to take them in before bed?
You don't get fatter eating your carbs before bed, that's a myth that old lady's tell ppl.

If your diet includes 300 G of carbohydrates can you eat them spread evenly throughout the day or all before bed it will have very little impact on fat gain.

Carbs do not make you fat, eating too many calories makes you fat.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I will say this, and a lot of guys will argue but I'm 100% convinced.

When your on a cycle, given the cycle has the components to increase glycogen/fuel storage and your working out really hard. I think you can get away with adding a decent amount of extra calories via fast digesting carbs around the workouts and not get fat too.

I'm not saying go from a low carb diet to 500gm a day. But say I'm eating my carbs evenly spread through the day and then I go on cycle, ok time to add 200 calories, I'm going to add them around the workout all in the form of carbs and maybe a little extra protein but mostly carbs

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I will say this, and a lot of guys will argue but I'm 100% convinced.

When your on a cycle, given the cycle has the components to increase glycogen/fuel storage and your working out really hard. I think you can get away with adding a decent amount of extra calories via fast digesting carbs around the workouts and not get fat too.

I'm not saying go from a low carb diet to 500gm a day. But say I'm eating my carbs evenly spread through the day and then I go on cycle, ok time to add 200 calories, I'm going to add them around the workout all in the form of carbs and maybe a little extra protein but mostly carbs
Well I'm on andros, I doubt most ppl would consider that gear but I'm losing weight almost too quickly. Granted, fat melts faster than muscle builds. I had plenty of fat to lose in May when I started dieting. I started at 215+ and was at 201.8 this morning. I guess my concern is losing lean tissue. Protein intake is 1gm+/lb body weight. Fats are pretty low, basically whatever I'm getting from chicken breast, a handful of almonds, fish oil and eggs a few days per week. Which lead me to the question of carbs. I'm wondering if adding a little more in at the end of the day will help prevent muscle loss. I'm 5'10" and I wanted to stay around the 200lb area as lean as possible

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
carbs before bed makes the most sense as it will help you sleep through the night. insulin is tied to melatonin. when I was younger all the high School football teams carb loaded the day before games. pancakes, spaghetti etc. interesting to see old knowledge get lost. rich Piana ate a pint of ice cream before bed every day.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
carbs before bed makes the most sense as it will help you sleep through the night. insulin is tied to melatonin. when I was younger all the high School football teams carb loaded the day before games. pancakes, spaghetti etc. interesting to see old knowledge get lost. rich Piana ate a pint of ice cream before bed every day.
Good stuff👍

panico.pt

Awards
I never take carbs after falling asleep.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah the carb cutoff thing is a myth. There’s no evidence and not any real reasoning behind it either. I saw a study comparing eating a majority of carbs in the morning versus evening and there was no difference. If you eat all your carbs at once, it doesn’t matter what time. It’s more likely better spread out some though.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I added some rice to a meal last night and felt fuller and was more vascular through the day 👍