Calling all tall guys...help an ectomorph out!

DaveWalton

Awards
I've been working out for about 5 years now...the past year and a half seriously.

I realize that as a tall guy/lanky ectomorph I need to be taking in loads of calories, complex carbs, protein etc...but I haven't been able to find an effective workout program.

I've tried 5x5 training and other workouts...I had pretty good success with GVT (just finished).

ANYWAYS:

Can anyone suggest a good workout aimed at gaining mass for a tall lanky ectomorph?

Thank you

P.S. I have definitely done my research, but I can't seem to find a program that specifically says it will benefit someone with my body type and the few guys at the gym I have asked are mesomorphs who gain pretty easily and had no real suggestions for me.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i'm not tall by any means, but i am an ecto. in MY experience (and we all gain different) supersets really helped me out a lot. until i started doing 3-4 sets of 8-10 with no real breaks i didn't gain. i think as ecto's our bodies become catabolic very easily - mine i definately noticed at the 40-45 min marker. also, there are certain proven mass gainers that i had to incorporate into every workout which i will list. also, what helped me out the MOST, was string cheese. yes, in addition to regular 4-5 meals, i did one piece of string cheese every hour. they're not really filling, but 100 extra calories an hour x 15 hours = 1500 calories a day that NEVER FILLS YOU UP and keeps you growing. diet is the key to gaining weight, and again, we've got the body type that we have to do everything right to gain one measly pound. thats my 2 cents. oh, best mass gainers:

back - pull ups
back - deadlifts
chest - bench
shoulders - military press
triceps - dips (weighted if needed)
triceps - close grip bench
biceps - barbell curls
biceps - chin ups (weighted if needed)
legs - squats
legs - the sled (a.k.a. leg extension

do at least one of these with every workout - my split is
M - legs / back
T - chest / shoulders
W - bi's / tri's
Th - legs / back
F - chest / shoulders

cardio also is no good for an ecto trying to gain anything. if you feel the need to do cardio, either swim, or ride a bike (swimming seems to work better for me, and stationary bike is the only cardio proven to add mass to any part of your body).

shlomo

Awards
hey suncloud, im 130lb ecto and im looking to gain mass, i was thinking of starting the stronglifts 5x5 what do you think, i also made a thread about kickboxing 3x a week - do you think it will interfere with my desired weight gain?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
5x5 is a great program, and should help a lot. the 3 most important mass gainers of any workout are squats, deadlift, bench, in that order, and the 5x5 takes advantage of that. kickboxing does a lot of cardio, so make sure you're not doing any cardio at the gym if you're an ecto and want to gain mass. might help to do a liquid snack pre kickboxing and pre workout too (protein and calorie shake (25g protein, 50g carbs). make sure you're doing a post workout shake 50g protein, 100g carbs, and maybe (i don't know here) a 25g protein 50g carb post kickboxing to keep your muscles fueled. the good news as an ecto is once you put the weight on, its hard to loose it. the main thing, is to eat as often as you can, thats why i recommend string cheese since its easy to transport, done in 2 minutes, and works. on a side note, does anyone know why there is more protein in hot dog buns, than there is in hot dogs?

DaveWalton

Awards
i'm not tall by any means, but i am an ecto. in MY experience (and we all gain different) supersets really helped me out a lot. until i started doing 3-4 sets of 8-10 with no real breaks i didn't gain. i think as ecto's our bodies become catabolic very easily - mine i definately noticed at the 40-45 min marker. also, there are certain proven mass gainers that i had to incorporate into every workout which i will list. also, what helped me out the MOST, was string cheese. yes, in addition to regular 4-5 meals, i did one piece of string cheese every hour. they're not really filling, but 100 extra calories an hour x 15 hours = 1500 calories a day that NEVER FILLS YOU UP and keeps you growing. diet is the key to gaining weight, and again, we've got the body type that we have to do everything right to gain one measly pound. thats my 2 cents. oh, best mass gainers:

back - pull ups
back - deadlifts
chest - bench
biceps - barbell curls
legs - squats

M - legs / back
T - chest / shoulders
W - bi's / tri's
Th - legs / back
F - chest / shoulders

cardio also is no good for an ecto trying to gain anything. if you feel the need to do cardio, either swim, or ride a bike (swimming seems to work better for me, and stationary bike is the only cardio proven to add mass to any part of your body).
Good post. Most of the exercises I already had a good feel for, but I like your split and the whole no breaks between sets got me thinking.

I also LOVE the string cheese idea...great way to get those extra cals.

I will be starting a 20 rep squat program log tomorrow...no more excuses.

Thanks for the help.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
awesome - glad to help. let me know how it works out for you brotha.

shlomo

Awards
thnx suncloud,
im a total novice so your advice is really appreciated

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established

back - pull ups
back - deadlifts
chest - bench
biceps - barbell curls
legs - squats

M - legs / back
T - chest / shoulders
W - bi's / tri's
Th - legs / back
F - chest / shoulders

Simply put:goodpost: Props where due mate, good job.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
my training partner went from 200 to 250 in a about a year with a little fat gain. He was basically just doing basics, and doing them heavy. We are powerlifters, he lifted raw. Lots of deads, squats, benches, overhead pressing and rowing. 3-4 workouts a week. Their were no cables, pushdowns, flys or anything like that. Not saying a little here or thier is bad. He is 6-3. I am the same height and my best gains come when i cut the volume down and lift in the 5 rep range for compound lifts. I am stronger and bigger at 31 naturally then when i was 27 and juiced up.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I'm 6'6 myself. As a tall person, you're probably a really good puller, deadlifter, curler, any back exersize. Above average at hang-cleans, average squatter.

However, I such at pressing.

After tons of trial and error it seems like the best chest exersizes for a tall guy are incline dumbell and weighted dips, supplemented with flat BB if you must.

A ripped 6'3 195 actually looks decently big.

CustomNW

Awards
  • Established
Back to basics like jcp said. Deads, squats, presses and do them heavy. Train less, and eat right after your done eating and eat more. Stick to foods that wont raise your blood sugar, I find raising my blood sugar kill smy appetite. Im 6'3"