Broken tip portion of bone of middle finger

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I dropped a dumbbell on my middle finger and broke the tip portion of the bone of my middle finger
Had to get six stitches and have my
finger in a splint.

I can do compound shoulder lifts via machines, but can’t use dumbbells for shoulder isolation lifts because I cant grasp the one with my splint. My question is would it be better to do isolation exercises with my one good hand even though this would leave an imbalance in the muscle on the two sides or should I just ride it out and do no isolation exercises for shoulders so an imbalance doesn’t occur? To make matters worst, I am less than 2 weeks in on a post cycle anabolic run so worried the less I do the more gains I will lose.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Use the machine's for the movements you can't do with a barbell or dumbbell, you can still grow !

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Use the machine's for the movements you can't do with a barbell or dumbbell, you can still grow !
Ya the only thing that sucks is not many shoulders isolation machines. At least I can do presses.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do it just like this guy…don’t need to grab anything…

IMG_4691.JPG

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Rear delts on the pec deck

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do it just like this guy…don’t need to grab anything…

View attachment 208211
Thats what sucks about LA Fitness bro, they don’t have this or a pec deck!!! I might see if I can grasp cable handles for some shoulder isolation work but with only a couple free fingers in one hand I doubt it.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Science says that if you work the good side, the bad side will receive about 40% of the benefits so at least do that while you have the injury.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Science says that if you work the good side, the bad side will receive about 40% of the benefits so at least do that while you have the injury.
Thanks ripper!!!! That’s the kind of answer I was looking for bro!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I broke the same bone and I just did more leg work and what I could upper wise. It was like 5-6 years ago but I remember it not being too bad a recovery. Still get tingling sensations in that finger from time to time though.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Double post no stamp backs

Last edited:

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I broke the same bone and I just did more leg work and what I could upper wise. It was like 5-6 years ago but I remember it not being too bad a recovery. Still get tingling sensations in that finger from time to time though.
How long you have to wear a brace?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The muscle confusion prince able may do you good!

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Don’t normally use that many machines but at gym today I paid more attention to the machines they have and they do have a pec dec and lateral raise for shoulders.
I can’t believe you’ve gone this long not using at least the pec dec for flies and rear delts….it’s a pretty legendary machine…

I like the seated lat raise better than dbs and cables. Easy af to get a ridiculous juicy pump and do dropsets as well. …Can face in the machine and also backwards. Doing sets of both combined with rear pec dec flies has been a big part of my training….I think you’ll enjoy it

Last edited:
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thats what sucks about LA Fitness bro, they don’t have this or a pec deck!!! I might see if I can grasp cable handles for some shoulder isolation work but with only a couple free fingers in one hand I doubt it.
But they've got Plenty of Mirrors.
:)
Sorry... I couldn't help it.

I also had the same exact injury (I'll PM you the specifics later).

But I'll say this ....
Just be careful about using one side too much..... I've done that at work, and threw my back out of whack.
This was years ago.
The Dr basically said: Bro, switch it up!"
LOL

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For me, the biggest benefit of the brace (in this instance) was to remind me of the injury, so I wouldn't do anything (else) stupid.
True!

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
But they've got Plenty of Mirrors.
Sorry... I couldn't help it.

I also had the same exact injury (I'll PM you the specifics later).

But I'll say this ....
Just be careful about using one side too much..... I've done that at work, and threw my back out of whack.
This was years ago.
The Dr basically said: Bro, switch it up!"
LOL
Thanks for the tip bro. Ya PM me the rehab and recovery details please.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I can’t believe you’ve gone this long not using at least the pec dec for flies and rear delts….it’s a pretty legendary machine…

I like the seated lat raise better than dbs and cables. Easy af to get a ridiculous juicy pump and do dropsets as well. …Can face in the machine and also backwards. Doing sets of both combined with rear pec dec flies has been a big part of my training….I think you’ll enjoy it
Ya I try to stick mostly to free weights with some exceptions. Using the machines is a nice change of place. Enjoyed the machine shoulder raise today and can go to more of a complete failure with that over dumbbells!

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm thinking this is in reference to neuro muscular coordination and control.

For example, if u are right handed and your right arm is in a sling, and you practice basketball foul shots with your left, your right arm will reap some coordinated learning from the contralateral (opposite side) practice. The same applies to visualization and mental reps.

I dont believe it would have any affect on muscular growth.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm thinking this is in reference to neuro muscular coordination and control.

For example, if u are right handed and your right arm is in a sling, and you practice basketball foul shots with your left, your right arm will reap some coordinated learning from the contralateral (opposite side) practice. The same applies to visualization and mental reps.

I dont believe it would have any affect on muscular growth.
i believe you can search ergo-log and find the study. its fairly recent. Antoin Vallair (sp) did a video where they talked about it after he tore his bicep. Im fairly certain about this. I could be mistaken. but that is rare 💩

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i believe you can search ergo-log and find the study. its fairly recent. Antoin Vallair (sp) did a video where they talked about it after he tore his bicep. Im fairly certain about this. I could be mistaken. but that is rare 💩
I believe you are correct.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Watched a few of his videos, seems like a chill humble guy. Id read the study too if anyone has a link, I wasn't able to find it