Bobo's former diet, Multigrain Bagels

C

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bobo, A long time ago I have used your diet plan, and have since never given up the Multigrain Bagels. The brand that was always at the store was Thomas Bagels, I think they are now discontinued. I love the bagels because they are a quick and easy food with calories. Do you know of what I could replace this with?

T

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
How 'bout another wheat (whole, multigrain, etc.) bagel?

Lots of these are available. Unfortunately, many contain HFCS. I've found the ones sold at Trader Joe's to be good option.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
Yes Thomas is HFCS - boooo - go with a natural bagel producer - Brownberry (now Arnold) makes the best natural bread I have found. They used to make bagels then they stopped for some reason. Start ingredient comparing.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Ezikiel Bread and Men's Bread come to mind as a clean slow carb source...maybe not a bagel...

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Bobo, A long time ago I have used your diet plan, and have since never given up the Multigrain Bagels. The brand that was always at the store was Thomas Bagels, I think they are now discontinued. I love the bagels because they are a quick and easy food with calories. Do you know of what I could replace this with?

Actually I think they still make those bagels, because thomas just came out with a sqaure shaped bagel(they have wheat too) The store you goto just probably isnt carrying them any more.

C

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
High Fructose Corn Syrup, which sucks and alot of bread products have it in it.

The Thomas Bagels aren't even available at my Walmart which is the fifth biggest in the U.S. I might have to find a good MRP that uses oat flour, brown rice flour, or something of that nature. Regular oats just don't cut for in between meals, I will have too much daily fiber intake.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't even worry about the HFCS. The amount is so small that its insignificant. Its splitting hairs.

C

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bobo can you advise me on an in between meal carb source?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oats, whole grain/wheat bread, beans, etc....just pick one and match the amounts. Thats it.

G

Grounded

Awards
HFCS - how much?

Bobo, in answer to the question about HFCS contained in a store bought bagel you replied, "Don't even worry about the HFCS. The amount is so small that its insignificant. Its splitting hairs."

In your experience if a BBer is eating around 3,000kcal/day what amount of HFCS could become significant?

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
HFCS is just sugar (well...kinda) - a sweetener

Effects of high-fructose (90%) corn syrup on plasma glucose, insulin, and C-peptide in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and normal subjects.

* Hung CT.

Interest in sweetening agents is encouraging manufacturers and researchers to find a safe substance to maintain the life quality of diabetics. The popularity of sweetened food items has increased recently in Taiwan. The glycemic index of fructose has been reported to be 20%, much lower than most carbohydrate foods. A high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) has come onto the market of sweetening agents and has been proposed as a low-cost substitute for fructose in dietetic management of diabetes. The aim of this study was to compare the glycemic effects of HFCS and glucose to see if there is a place for high-fructose corn syrup in diabetic management. In 8 normal and 21 non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) subjects, we performed oral tolerance tests. After an overnight fast, the subjects were given either 75g of glucose or an equivalent amount of HFCS containing 75g of carbohydrate. Blood was sampled before and at 30, 60, 90, 120 and 180 minutes after the glucose load. Blood glucose was analyzed by the glucose oxidase method using YSI 23 A (Yellow-Springs Intrument). The insulin and C-peptide were measured by RIA kits from Daiichi. The area under the curves (AUC) was calculated for plasma glucose, immunoreactive insulin (IRI) and immunoreactive C-peptide (IRCP). The results showed that the glycemic effect of HFCS was 73% of glucose. The AUC of IRI after HFCS was 56% of that of glucose. The AUC of IRCP after HFCS was 57% of that of glucose. The high glycemic index of HFCS in our study does not support the use of HFCS as a substitute for fructose.

PMID: 2695593 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Any amount that effects your blood sugar or spikes your insulin to fast is a wrong amount - after all it's considered a sweetener so it's doubtful that there is 1-2 grams per LOAF - looked but couldnt find an exact content

The reason it's one of those "hot topics" - in the "normal" world is that it's in everything with carbs so....a lot of High GI carbs with HFCS - meal after "large american" meal = bad for your health - but there are so many other factors besides the HFCS but people/media need to find that one ingredient that is the problem and blow it up - IE. Trans fats - another catch ingredient.

so going back....

"Don't even worry about the HFCS. The amount is so small that its insignificant. Its splitting hairs." = your ingesting maybe .10-.20 gram of HFCS if that - so it's barely doing anything to your insulin