bms0lsc's muscle building log

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Signed up with Bobo but don't start until tomorrow. This week was all about
asking q's (alot) and grocery shopping. I'm in the UK so finding the right
foods was a little difficult but easy enough with Bobo's help:) .

A little background info: I played rugby league to a high level and even played
a season as a semi pro, but my size was always a problem. I blame my dad!
He is 6' and 133lbs! (Good vascularity though!). I tried to bulk but with no luck.
At first, my idea of a post w.o meal was a peanut butter and jam sandwich!

The past 2 years I have trained using max-ot and really watched my
diet but only gained a net 4lbs! My strength went up though and my current
lifts are: DL 440lbs for 4, sq 352 for 4, db bp 105's for 5 and pull up BW+68
for 4. I'm proud of those lifts but know they won't mean anything as Bobo helps
me to put on some size :D , which has always been my goal.

These will be my official start stats, taken this morning:
23 yo
5'8''
164.0 lbs
waist 33.5''
BF 9% (estimated)

This will be a natural bulk and I will not be using any of the 'recommended'
supps.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
First chest workout done! It went as follows..........

I found this hard! Nothing like max-ot! I've never done 14 chest sets before and counting the -ve, +ve and rep number was a handful. Messed up on db bp and dips a little and didn't make the required reps a few times! Cadence was met though each time. I was going a little too close to failure I think, accounting for the large drop in weight. I went alot more conservative on the weight after dips and it felt alot better. Definitely a lesson learnt for all my upcoming workouts.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
****. I deleted some of your post. I hit edit instead of reply.

Anyway, the substitution is fine. Whatever you feel "works" better.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
No worries. Here's what it said:

db dp: (75)8, (70)8, (66)8, (62)7
dip: (BW+22)10, (BW+16.5)7, (BW+5.5)8, (BW)8
inc. db bp (44)8,8,8
cable flye (33 each side)10,10 (38)10
machine ab crunches (100)12, (110)12, (115)12

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Back and calves today:

bent over bb row: (110)8, (115.5)8
pullups: (33)8, (27.5)8,8
seated c.g row: (132)10, (154)10,10
front pull down: (108),10, (125),10,10
c.g front pull down: (138),8, (130)8, (125)8

smith machine st. calf raise: (88)12, (93)12,12, (88)12

A mixed bag today. Some sets felt good, others not so. Partially because I hadn't done some of the exercises in a while and partially because I went a bit more conservative after missing a few of my rep targets y'day. It's a steep learning curve but I'm getting to the end of it!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
First week is always a bit odd.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Rest day yesterday, but today was triceps and abs:

tri. pushdown: (66)10, (62.5)10, (51.5)10
overhead extentions: (31)8, (44)8,8
skullcrushers: (55)10, (50)10, 38.5)10
tri. pushdown (rope): (33)12, drop set (30)10

mach. ab crunches: (115)12, (125)12,12, (120)12

This was a pretty good workout. I hit all the desired rep numbers, getting about one rep short of failure, with the exception of a few dodgy overhead presses. I also handled more weight on my abs compared to sunday which is encouraging!

Bobo, a quick question: On tricep presses with the rope, I used a 2:2 ratio. Was this right? I know it says to use a 2:2 with the rope in week 2 but wasn't sure if this week it was to be done at my own pace or not. Thanks.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Leg day!

squat: (275)10, (253)12, (231)12
leg press: (220)8, (210)8, (205)8
leg extention: (110)9, (77)10, (55)10
front squat: (88)10, (110)10, (132)10
hack squat: (220)8, (210)8, (190)8

This was hard! The reputation surrounding Bobo's leg workout is fully justified! I didn't even bother with the stairs at the gym; I went straight past them to the elevator! I'm actually looking forward to next thursday though! On the down side, I overestimated my ability on my first set of squats and leg extentions and underestimated my weight on front squats.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Rest day yesterday, but today was triceps and abs:

tri. pushdown: (66)10, (62.5)10, (51.5)10
overhead extentions: (31)8, (44)8,8
skullcrushers: (55)10, (50)10, 38.5)10
tri. pushdown (rope): (33)12, drop set (30)10

mach. ab crunches: (115)12, (125)12,12, (120)12

This was a pretty good workout. I hit all the desired rep numbers, getting about one rep short of failure, with the exception of a few dodgy overhead presses. I also handled more weight on my abs compared to sunday which is encouraging!

Bobo, a quick question: On tricep presses with the rope, I used a 2:2 ratio. Was this right? I know it says to use a 2:2 with the rope in week 2 but wasn't sure if this week it was to be done at my own pace or not. Thanks.

Thats is fine.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Leg day!

squat: (275)10, (253)12, (231)12
leg press: (220)8, (210)8, (205)8
leg extention: (110)9, (77)10, (55)10
front squat: (88)10, (110)10, (132)10
hack squat: (220)8, (210)8, (190)8

This was hard! The reputation surrounding Bobo's leg workout is fully justified! I didn't even bother with the stairs at the gym; I went straight past them to the elevator! I'm actually looking forward to next thursday though! On the down side, I overestimated my ability on my first set of squats and leg extentions and underestimated my weight on front squats.

:D

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Arms, shoulders and calves today:

alt.dumbell curl (17.5)10, (22)10,10
preacher curl (55)10, (44)10, (33)10
hammer curl (17.5)10,10 (13)10

Arnold press (26.5)8, (22)8, (17.5)8, (13)8

calf press (on leg press mach.) (242)10, (220)10, (198)10, (176)10

I was a bit more conservative on a few bicep sets than I would have liked but otherwise this was a good workout. I had never done Arnold presses before so I was a little cautious with them. It turns out that I was right on the money with the weight selection and worked my shoulders hard! My gym doesn't have a seated calf raise so I used the leg press as a substitute.

Tomorrow marks the end of week 1, so I'll take a few measurements in the morning and report back.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Okay, end of week one today and I took a few measurements first thing this morning:

Weight was down 2.2lbs to 161.8lbs and waist was down 0.5'' to 33''.

I can see alot more definition and vascularity. When I'm warm (and in a flattering light) I can actually follow a vein from my lower abdomen all the way up to the top of my my abs!

Is it too early to make any dietary changes Bobo?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
New diet sent.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Got the new diet (thanks Bobo), but I had a small computer problem so wasn't
able to start until today:frustrate . I'm liking the inclusion of brown rice as I've got
about 10 bags left over from before I signed up!

I've had 2 good workouts this week. Yesterday was chest, shoulders and abs
and I went up on Arnold presses and ab crunches. None of the chest exercises
were the same compared to last week so I can't make an evaluation on them
yet. All the exercises I did on my back today that were the same as last week
saw weight increases! I just can't wait to see the scale reading go up!

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Another 2 good workouts; yesterday was tri's and abs. My strength was up a little on triceps but can't make an accurate asessment on abs because I switched from mach. crunches to cable crunches like it says in the program. This was because the machine was working my quads to the point they were a little sore.

Today was legs! I looked at the workout and thought that, on paper, it looked a little easier than last week. How wrong I was! Last week I decided opt for the elevator instead of the stairs. This week I didn't even acknowledge that the stairs existed! I will never take any of Bobo's workouts for granted again! I couldn't really tell if I was much stronger this week compared to last as the exercises were in a different order from last week. For example, I was up on leg extentions, which were scheduled first but down on leg press which were scheduled last this time round.

Tomorrow is bi's and shoulders and then it's saturday and the all important weigh in!

Tomorro

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
End of week 2 today; here are my measurements from this morning:

Weight up 4.2lbs to 166.0lbs. Waist up 0.5'' to 33.5''

I couldn't believe these measurements this morning! I thought it was something to do with the fact I wasn't fully awake yet! This puts me up a net 2lbs for the program with no change to waist and I only started the diet change on monday! In all honesty, I could probably say the tape measured in at 33 3/8'', but I want to be extra critical with myself- it keeps me on the straight and narrow diet wise!

Any changes to be made for next week Bobo?

(and I apologise for the lack of smilies! I'm restraining myself. Otherwise this post would be a covered in them!:D)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
:)

Keep going!

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Start of week 3, chest and abs today; bit of a wierd one.

I was wondering if I should increase the weight from week 1 on db bp (the starting exercise). I thought that if I increased the weight and didn't make my reps, it would set a crappy tone for the rest of the workout. Consequently, if I didn't increase the weight and it was too light, it would be a 'wasted' set- and set a crappy tone for the rest of the workout!

In the end I took on the heavier dumbells, which collectively bumped the weight up 9lbs! I was rewarded and got a good set out and dropped the weight down for the next set (as expected) but only managed a 7. I ended up dropping more and ended up on 62's in the last set (like week 1).

Dips went about the same: I didn't up the weight so managed an 8 on BW+22 as before, but ended up doing BW for 7 on the last set!

Incline db bp, cable flyes and cable crunches all showed a clear increase in weight used; so db bp and dips were a little wierd in how they turned out. More of a stamina problem I suppose. I can't really increase my rest times as I'm already well over the hour mark for the workout. Just thought I'd share this 'quirk' that occured today.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Finished off a pretty good week of training with a fantastic bi, shoulders and calves workout! All lifts were well up today. I had to stick on the same weight for a few sets on some exercises as the next set of dumbells increases the weight a collective 9lbs- alot for biceps. But I reckon I'll tackle them next time no probs (just a feeling!).

I definitely felt the workouts this week got better as the week progressed and there was a big difference after my midweek rest day i.e sun and mon workouts compared to wed, thu and today.

I think my cheat meal on saturday may have something to do with it. Or more precisely a lack of one. It has consisted of an egg white omlette and about half a cup of c.cheese the past few weeks. Judging from the 'What your cheat meal should consist of' thread, this is a little low in carbs and I'm not taking advantage of the opportunity to 'refuel'. I might throw a bagel in there this week and see how my week starts on sunday.

But the scales are of primary importance and if the reading goes up I can't complain! I will weigh in tomorrow morning and post the results.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Okay, end of week 3 measurements:

Up 0.2 lbs to 166.2lbs. Waist has stayed at 33.5''.

I must admit I weighed myself before I went to bed (6 hours before this weigh in) and weighed in at 171! That made me a little giddy! But I couldn't believe how much it fluctuated over 6 hours. Live and learn I suppose.

Any changes this week Bobo?

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
I was in a bit of a rush earlier so my update was a little brief (and maybe not too helpful), so I apologize and I thought I'd make an addition.

I dont think the .2lb increase gives a true reflection of the 'visual' gains made this week. My physique looks a more developed, especially in the arms and delts and vascularity seems to be good all day long as opposed to fluctuating all the time. I would definitely have to say a little body comp has taken place. I need to start taking a few more body measurements!

I also should make a personal apology to Bobo. Yes, I'm an idiot and I don't read stickies! I bet you've heard/read the phrase 'any changes this week Bobo' more times than you've had hot dinners, lol!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
:)

Take more measurements ;)

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
There's no probs taking more measurements. In fact I've been holding out! I took a few extra ones with my end of week 2 weigh in :D . Unfortunately, I just didn't measure them this week! I'll definitely make sure I do at the end of this week. I took measurements that I thought might relevant: right u.arm (bi flexed), hips at the biggest circumference and l.thigh (flexed, knee straight).

I don't have the figures to hand at the mo but I'll dig them out. They aren't the best representation of how the program has 'affected' me fully because they were taken a week in, but nevermind. Personally the may tell alot as I hold most of my 'junk' in my 'trunk' and back of thighs. I didn't do a chest measurement as I don't think I can be consistent with that.

Anyway, today's chest, shoulders and ab workout was a good one. Strength was up and all the exercises 'felt' better than last time. This may be just as good of an indicator as the tape! It's strange but my forearms were killing me by the end and I had to put the 22lb dumbells down as I wasn't gonna make the rack before I dropped them! Only seems to happen on 'week 2' chest day!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
New diet sent :)

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap! I haven't been checking my emails! I will only start it today (sorry Bobo)!

Anyway, back and shoulders were good on mon-strength up again despite, my lats being sore from the chest day!!

Today was a little wierd as I had to run an errand at work so I got a meal in first thing (tuna, c.cheese and bagel) the took my pre.w.o meal 1.5 hrs later. Strength was up a little but the thought that my 'routine' was messed up was preying on my mind and the workout didn't 'feel' great.

Bobo, I have some info that will be of relevance to you: My boss told me y'day I need to take some holiday time, a kind of 'use it or lose it' thing. So he has me off work for 2 weeks starting on monday. So this means that I won't be walking my usual couple of miles in the mornings- hence alot less calories burned during the day. I guess this is important for any diet changes during that time.

In fact, do you think I should lay off this new one you've sent for a while?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
I would lay off it for a week then give me a weigh in sometime Sunday.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
So do you mean lay off the new one for the rest of this week AND all next week? Thanks.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
THis week and give me a weigh in Sunday.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Good leg day today. All exercises were up 5.5lbs on the last 'week 2' workout! I got THAT FEELING in the pit of my stomach after squats so I had to have a few extra mins rest before I tackled lunges. I think pacing myself with the Powerade a little better would help this. Also, when I train I'm covered head to toe in clothing and I think being a little too hot adds to the problem. Anyway I'm looking forward to doing my thigh measurement later this week to see how it turns out.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Quality bi and shoulders day today. All bi exercises were up (except standing EZ curl)
between 5.5-9lbs on the last 'week 2 workout'!! Some of the tail end sets were a little light aswell- which I put down to increased stamina.

I also got 10 reps today on the same weight that I got 8 for earlier in the week on Arnold presses!

I have no idea what the scale will be telling me, or what insight the measuring tape will give me but I KNOW something good must be going on and the mirror is showing nothing but positive signs!

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
For consistency and an accurate representation of the past 7 days, I thought I'd post a few measurements today. (Bobo, I know you said to give you a weigh-in on SUNDAY- Just let me know if you still want me to)

First off, I should tell you that I have a new set of scales; yesterday I was bored so I decided to see how much I weighed before and after drinking alot of water. Answer: ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE! This made me suspicious so I went to the shop, bought the same set of scales and realised the old scales were UNDERWEIGHING me!

This morning the old scales showed I weighed 165.4lbs, a drop of 0.8lbs.

The new scales showed 167.6lbs, an increase of 1.4lbs!

As best as I can figure, last week's result was completely bunk and I've gained 1.6lbs in 2 weeks! There is the possibility that I gained more last week and got a loss this week (as the old scales show), but I get anxious thinking that way so I'll let Bobo ponder over the numbers and decipher what they could mean, lol!

As promised here are a few other measurements I also took:

Waist: 33.5'' (same as last week)
Left leg: 2 weeks ago- 21.25'', now- 21.5''
Hips: 2 weeks ago- 38'', now- 38.5''
Right arm: 2 weeks ago- 14 5/8'', now 14 6/8''

Like I mentioned in previous posts, my strength is up this week and I look better in the mirror aswell.

midget

Board Supporter
Awards
Great work, keep it up!

btw - dont be too disappointed if the increases you saw in the arnolds dont show up again on your next 'early' week (sunday?) arnold routine. if your routine is anything like mine, your shoulders get worked pretty hard in the previous lifts (presses) whereas during the bi/delt routine your delts should be pretty fresh....

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Thanks midget. Well I was gonna see if I could get a set on the next set of db's because I only have 8 reps scheduled on sunday instead of the 10 I got y'day- but you are right and I'll see how I go on my chest workout!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Your progress sounds good. Glad ytou actually got a scale that worked but the real results are in your measurements. I want quality gains, not quantitiy and you seem to be doing very well. Keep it up!!!

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Will do! I'm a little gutted actually because I stocked up ALOT in anticipation of the extra cups of milk from the new diet you sent! I like my milk! Still, I'd take a positive progress report over a few cups of milk any day!

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
**WARNING: DEPRESSING POST AHEAD!**

I'm disappointed with myself and todays' effort of a workout (chest and abs-no shoulders like I thought). Yesterday whilst doing some housework I felt a twinge in my right trap and rotator cuff area. I've had problems with this in the past so it remains a little weak to this day- despite being healthy. It wasn't serious but...well...it felt 'twinged'. You will know what I mean if you've had a r.c/trap/shoulder problem.

I decided to start off db bp with the same weight as 2 weeks ago which was ok, but as the sets progressed, I had to drop the collective weight 44lbs- more than what I dropped 2 weeks ago (35lbs)!

Dips were a disaster and I ended up doing assisted dips with BW minus 22lbs! (Note: ALOT of this was psychological. I'm the sort of person who, if I can't put in 110% effort I feel like I don't want to put in any effort at all). Things got so bad that right in the middle of my last set, I couldn't help but think that Jessica Fletcher (Murder, She Wrote) must have serious confidence issues as wherever she goes people always die!! I don't know why that popped in there!

From here on though, the workout got better. I got more weight out on inc. db bp and cable flyes and cable crunches were solid, so it wasn't all bad.

Every 6 weeks or so I see a physio to work out the tightness in the area and it just so happens that my next appointment is on tuesday. It's like it knew when to twinge! What annoys me the most is that it's just one of those acute things that will last a day or so (and what embarasses me the most is that I did it cleaning the bath!). C'est la vie I suppose.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Its just one workout. It happens to the best of us. Just don't let it get to you, follow the diet and move on. One day won't make you and one day won't break you....

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
If the workout got better, maybe your warmup was lacking? CNS wasn't primed?

Don't worry, we all have shitty workouts...I had one the other day. The volume is higher than I'm used to with Bobo, personally, so if I don't get my meals in Ill have an ass of a time finishing the workout...maybe something to think about?

Best of luck.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys-that makes me feel a better! Back day today was ok- didn't feel the 'weakness' as much in the shoulder. When I first had problems with it, I only seemed to feel it on flat bench press and dips though, everything else seemed ok.

I have a scheduled day off tomorrow and my physio appointment and, as it's only an 'acute' thing it'll be better by wednesday. My shoulder is just my problem area and 'goes' every now and then. I guess most people who train with weights have a joint they'd like to trade in for a better one!

kwycke, you have got me thinking! Along the lines of warming up. I normally start off with 50% of my 'working weight' and progressively increase the weight over another 2 warm up sets (doing about 6-8 reps each time), then increasing to the weight I'll be using. I'm not sure if this is sufficient. How does everyone else warm up?

Getting in my meals isn't a problem though. My job means I don't have to obey 'office ettiquette' and worry about stinking the place out with tuna and egg white omlettes! Plus, I'm on holiday now so eating on time is as easy as falling off a log!!

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Training has been good the past few days. Nothing to really report on the strength front- some exercises are up, some are the same and some are down, but all feeling good. Looking bigger in the mirror aswell whilst vascularity is remaining constant.

I've now been 4 days off work- the bane of my ectomorphic existence! As far as I'm aware, a person consuming (for example) 3000 cals and burning off 500 during cardio is far better off for cutting than just consuming 2500cals. I guess the reverse is true and a decrease in calorie expenditure is better than just making up for it through eating more. So, I'm really looking forward to my progress this week and next.

My sleep pattern is a little skewed at the moment whilst off work as I'm taking naps between meals during what are my usual (unusual to everyone else) working hours- thus affecting my 'normal' sleep hours. Sometimes I feel restless and the alarm can't go off soon enough!

Could this be contributing to a dip in focus/energy during workouts? Perhaps. Just something I was thinking about today during the near death experience that is Bobo's leg workout! Still, if the guy in the mirror is anything to go by, I can't complain!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
I've now been 4 days off work- the bane of my ectomorphic existence! As far as I'm aware, a person consuming (for example) 3000 cals and burning off 500 during cardio is far better off for cutting than just consuming 2500cals. I guess the reverse is true and a decrease in calorie expenditure is better than just making up for it through eating more. So, I'm really looking forward to my progress this week and next.
VERY TRUE!

As far as the sleep patterns, its tough to tell. The circadian rhythm is not understood that well to begin with. So many things effect it from diet to the amount of sunlight exposure your eyes recieve.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Okay, I've only now been able to gain access to AM, I guess because of website changes, so I'll post the measurements I took on saturday morning i.e end of week 5. (Bobo I emailed these to you- don't know if you got them)

weight- 172.6lbs, up 5lbs
waist- 34'', up 0.5''
leg- 21.75'', up 0.25''
arm- 15'', up 0.25''

Not bad for a weeks work :D. I guess some of it is due to increased glycogen stores from no work/cardio. Waist is up but could be due to extra glycogen in ab and l.back muscles (?) as ab definition seems the same. My lifting belt is definitely tighter though! Leg measurement was a little off as my legs were still a little sore from the workout, so I couldn't contract it too well. Probably could have squeezed an extra 1/16'' or so otherwise!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Sounds good!

Yes the db has been giving me trouble lately. Its a bitch and I hate it.

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Yes the db has been giving me trouble lately. Its a bitch and I hate it.
You wanna threaten it with one of your leg days- that'll straighten it out!

Anyway, a quick update on this weeks workouts so far: Strength is a little off actually. I guess my circadian rhythm is a little out of sync! I'm still off work for the rest of this week so it won't be my calories (or a lack of them).

It's a funny thing actually but the sets definitely feel better, like every rep is a quality rep. With some sets, I've found the last one or two need a BIG step up in effort to complete whilst keeping the right tempo. Maybe I've been going just that little too close to failure and it'll be good to back it off :think:. I'll see how I go....

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Okay, end of week 6 today. Here are a few measurements:

weight: 174.0lbs- up 1.4lbs
waist: 34 1/4''- up 1/4''
thigh: 21 7/8''- up 1/8''
arm: 15 1/8''- up 1/8''

Everything is up again this week! The thigh and arm measurements are bound to be gains in muscle whereas last week some of the gains were due to increased glycogen, aswell as muscle gains.

Waist is up and I've definitely noticed some decrease in ab definition this week. I've also gained a little in the lower back, judging from the 'grab test'!

I'm not too concerned with the extra waist circumference as I start work again on monday so it'll probably start to come away. Plus I'm not entirely sure as to what it consists of (fat, water?), aswell as glycogen in l.back and ab muscles.

I'll also probably lose a little on the thigh and arm measurements but I KNOW this'll be due to lost glycogen so it won't come as too much of a shock- and is expected. When all is said and done, I guess the next week won't show an awful lot in the measurements, but alot of body recomp will most likely occur- which is most definitely a good thing!

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
End of week 7 today. There hasn't been an awful lot to post about so I haven't been updating.

This week, my strength has been down a little. However, I wasn't reserving any judgement on how it would fare. It had been fluctuating over the past few weeks, but I was getting back into my usual sleep routine which I thought would aid it but I had the extra burnt calories from work, hindering my strength gains. I definitely felt better after about 2 days back at work though, alot more focus and not so much of a 'fuzzy mind':yawn:.

Down to the measurements:

weight: 172.2lbs- down 1.8lbs
waist: 34''- down 1/2''
thigh: 21.75''- down 1/8''
arm: 14 7/8''- down 1/4''

This was expected. I knew my measurements would be down. I am actually a little surprised (in a good way) that I didn't lose more. These results are almost identical to week 5! However those results coincided with a 5lb gain comprising of alot of glycogen, so it's a testament to the program that this week I have the same results but with a far different body composition! More mass is staying put :) !

Speaking of which (body comp) my abs are more defined this week- cuts are deeper. My physique also looks a lot more 'mature', if that makes sense. It's the most appropriate word I can use! On my left leg, I can start to see the separation between the three thigh muscles. I have had that for some time on the right but only noticed it this week on the left; even though I'm left legged and it's bigger and stronger (wierd eh?)

All in all its been a really good week :thumbsup:. I've got another week to go for this 8 weeks, but I've already purchased another 8!! I decided to go ahead and get another 8 in about week 4. Definitely worth it IMO. So I'm really looking forward to alot more body recomping and mass gain! I reckon my waist'll easily get down to where it started in that time (33.5''), possibly even lower and i'll easily have a solid 15''+ arm and 22''+ leg. I can't wait :D! But I gotta take 1 week at a time. Week 8 is next!

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
It's been a good start to the week these past few workouts. Yesterday I handled the same weight on Arnold press as I did on friday- which I would call a strength increase as they were scheduled with chest y'day (bi's on fri). I also handled the same weight on cable crunches, BUT got a better r.o.m as I decided to put a 'step' on the floor so I could bring my head down a little further without the stack crashing at the top.

Back day today was also good and I was quite stunned at the pump in my rear delts afterwards! I'm definitely leaning out a bit and I know I said this before but my physique just looks more 'mature'! Real good stuff!

Strength has been down a bit on a few exercises. Some of this is due to my messed up sleep rhythms the past few weeks and getting back to work, but I should also clarify something: I've been compounding this with a conscious decrease in my weight choice so that I'm not going so close to 'teeth clenching, body shaking' failure (see post 45). Sets feel much better (alot more control on the final few reps) and I also find my rest intervals are a little quicker.

Rest day is scheduled tomorrow then it's a push on towards the end of the week. I'll be interested on how my strength is faring, particularly on my tri workout (this is the same each week and therefore, I think, a good measure of strength changes) as I would expect that my sleep/work would not be too much of a factor now that I've been back a while.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Good update!

bms0lsc

Awards
  • Established
Tri's and abs today and I was a little stronger on tri's :) . I handled more weight on the 3rd set of tri press and stuck with the same weight for the 2nd and 3rd sets of skullcrushers (dropped last week). On rope press I stuck with the same weight as last week and got my 12 reps out. I then dropped the weight 5lbs for a drop-set and, whereas last week I got a tough 11, this week I managed an 'easy' 12. I got to around rep 9 and thought 'this might be a little too light'. I tried a 13th rep and my form was a little shaky to say the least so, although it didn't 'hurt' as much as last week, it was a good set non the less.

I managed a repeat performance of all the weights during my 4 sets of cable crunches, so that was ok too. I did find that I'm crashing the stack at the top during a few reps, despite the step being there. I guess that means they were a little easier to do.