Black cohosh for pct?

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This may sound completley stupid. But I just got out of rehab, and meant this giant of a man. He had told me that he has used black cohosh many times after a cycle, to help restore his estrogen balance. I didnt believe him, but he said he swore upon this stuff, and that most companies overcharge for there pct product, and this has been a huge staple for the last couple of years. This dude was like 6'2" and had to be like 260 lbs, solid. I was just wondering if he was busting my chops or if he was serious. Im not planning on using it, but im curious for the validation of it. Ive checked the search and there really isnt too much on it, but I did recall Dr.D suggested usuing it, but I couldnt figure out for what. Thanks

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Found this on Breast cancer .org

Also known as: baneberry, bugwort, black snakeroot, cimicifuga, rattle root, squaw root, RemiSure™, Remifemin®.

Potential uses: It's thought that black cohosh can relieve menopausal symptoms, especially hot flashes.

Usual dose: An extract containing 1 milligram of active ingredient taken twice per day.

Are there any risks? Black cohosh may be safe at recommended doses, but possible side effects include liver damage and autoimmune hepatitis.

What does the research show? One clinical trial in women with breast cancer showed that black cohosh gave no more relief from hot flashes than a placebo (sugar pill). Preliminary work on individual cells suggests black cohosh may act on estrogen receptors in some way and is associated with lowered breast cancer risk. A 2007 study involving nearly 2,500 women found that use of black cohoch reduced the risk of breast cancer, but this was the first known report of such an effect. Until more studies are done, people who have been diagnosed with breast cancer or who are at high risk for breast cancer should speak with their doctors if they are considering black cohosh.

The side effects alone would keep me from using this but there might be some merit to it. Like they said there was only one study showing it possibly helped with Bcancer so the jury is still out on this one.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks monster mash, yeah i had only found articles pertaining to women only. Thanks though for your incite.

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
Black cohosh balances hormone levels in both men and women. Black cohosh contains at least three classes of compounds that act to regulate hormone use, first binding to receptor sites to reduce estrogen when levels are high, then formation of luteinizing hormone (LH), which stimulates a surge of estrogen production in the first fourteen days of the menstrual cycle. This stimulates estrogen production when estrogen levels are low. The dual action of the herb allows it to stabilize the body's estrogen usage.

One of the chemical constituents of black cohosh, ferulic acid, increases the motility and viability of sperm cells by protecting their cell walls from oxidation by compounds released from environmental toxins, helping in cases of infertility.

In vivo Effects of Black Cohosh and Genistein on Estrogenic Activity and Lipid Peroxidation in Japanese Medaka (Oryzias latipes).
J Herb Pharmcother. 2003;3(3):33-50.
This study was designed to assay the estrogenic activities and the antioxidant potential of ethanol extracts from the herbal dietary supplement black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) relative to the natural phytoestrogen genistein. The in vivo mechanisms of action of these two natural products have not been completely elucidated, and Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes) provides a useful organism for initial in vivo screening of natural products. While both genistein and estradiol altered ovarian and testicular steroid release and decreased circulating testosterone levels in males, neither black cohosh total extract (75-30,000 ng/fish), cimiracemoside A, 25-O-methyl-cimigenoside, actein, nor 26-deoxy-actein caused any differences in estrogenic activity compared to control fish. To assess antioxidant potential, animals were treated with natural products then challenged with 2-acetylaminofluorene (2-AAF) to induce lipid peroxidation (LPO) in the liver. Neither the total ethanol extracts from black cohosh nor its individual components showed an inhibitory effect in 2-AAF induced LPO. However, genistein manifested potent antioxidative activity in the LPO assay, with similar potency to a high dose of á-tocopherol. In contrast to genistein, black cohosh did not exhibit traditional estrogenic effects nor significant in vivo anti-oxidant potential in this fish model system. black cohosh menopause.

To put it in English it contain plant estrogens which acts like estrogen in the body. So it is no PCT alternative.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks my man. It just blew my mind when this dude was telling me this. Thats why I had to come on here and ask away. I kinda wanted to believe him, becuase he was so "Genetically Gifted'. LOL. anyways thanks for your time fellas

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
Black cohosh balances hormone levels in both men and women. Black cohosh contains at least three classes of compounds that act to regulate hormone use, first binding to receptor sites to reduce estrogen when levels are high, then formation of luteinizing hormone (LH), which stimulates a surge of estrogen production in the first fourteen days of the menstrual cycle. This stimulates estrogen production when estrogen levels are low. The dual action of the herb allows it to stabilize the body's estrogen usage.

One of the chemical constituents of black cohosh, ferulic acid, increases the motility and viability of sperm cells by protecting their cell walls from oxidation by compounds released from environmental toxins, helping in cases of infertility.

In vivo Effects of Black Cohosh and Genistein on Estrogenic Activity and Lipid Peroxidation in Japanese Medaka (Oryzias latipes).
J Herb Pharmcother. 2003;3(3):33-50.
This study was designed to assay the estrogenic activities and the antioxidant potential of ethanol extracts from the herbal dietary supplement black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) relative to the natural phytoestrogen genistein. The in vivo mechanisms of action of these two natural products have not been completely elucidated, and Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes) provides a useful organism for initial in vivo screening of natural products. While both genistein and estradiol altered ovarian and testicular steroid release and decreased circulating testosterone levels in males, neither black cohosh total extract (75-30,000 ng/fish), cimiracemoside A, 25-O-methyl-cimigenoside, actein, nor 26-deoxy-actein caused any differences in estrogenic activity compared to control fish. To assess antioxidant potential, animals were treated with natural products then challenged with 2-acetylaminofluorene (2-AAF) to induce lipid peroxidation (LPO) in the liver. Neither the total ethanol extracts from black cohosh nor its individual components showed an inhibitory effect in 2-AAF induced LPO. However, genistein manifested potent antioxidative activity in the LPO assay, with similar potency to a high dose of á-tocopherol. In contrast to genistein, black cohosh did not exhibit traditional estrogenic effects nor significant in vivo anti-oxidant potential in this fish model system. black cohosh menopause.

To put it in English it contain plant estrogens which acts like estrogen in the body. So it is no PCT alternative.
The first portion of the summary made black cohosh seem promising for pct. The second half seemed to discredit the first part. Reviving this thread to see if anybody has ever used black cohosh for pct or in conjunction with pct. Is it a plant serm?

Henrock

Awards
The first portion of the summary made black cohosh seem promising for pct. The second half seemed to discredit the first part. Reviving this thread to see if anybody has ever used black cohosh for pct or in conjunction with pct. Is it a plant serm?
Looks like the OP started this in 2010, which there wasn't a lot of studies or info. Tons of info now.

I was searching for "clomid" related info and Black Cohosh came up and this thread was in the google search results. Women are taking this herb as an alternative to clomid.

So maybe the better question is, if Black Cohosh is so bad for men, why are men taking clomid? (I mean we know "WHY", but..).

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Looks like the OP started this in 2010, which there wasn't a lot of studies or info. Tons of info now.

I was searching for "clomid" related info and Black Cohosh came up and this thread was in the google search results. Women are taking this herb as an alternative to clomid.

So maybe the better question is, if Black Cohosh is so bad for men, why are men taking clomid? (I mean we know "WHY", but..).
There are many, many herbs that react completely differently in men and women.

I remember when the fad happened when men who were trying to cheap out on PCT were using Black Cohosh and many caused themselves a lot of issues and some long lasting ones by doing so. A lot of men that tried this back then found that their estrogen levels went up rather than down on it.

In today's times, the only information I've heard of about males taking Black Cohosh are males that are wanting to transition and are attempting to increase estrogen and decrease testosterone levels - which obviously wouldn't correlate to people using AAS to be more muscular to begin with.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I remember when the fad happened when men who were trying to cheap out on PCT were using Black Cohosh and many caused themselves a lot of issues and some long lasting ones by doing so. A lot of men that tried this back then found that their estrogen levels went up rather than down on it.

In today's times, the only information I've heard of about males taking Black Cohosh are males that are wanting to transition and are attempting to increase estrogen and decrease testosterone levels - which obviously wouldn't correlate to people using AAS to be more muscular to begin with.
Mexican Wild Yam was another product that (IIRC) resulted in some estrogen issues.

Henrock

Awards

Good point and correct, people do react differently to things. It's just wild that an herb you can buy off amazon could be more detrimental to a man's health than taking a prescription women's fertility or breast cancer drug. Crazy.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good point and correct, people do react differently to things. It's just wild that an herb you can buy off amazon could be more detrimental to a man's health than taking a prescription women's fertility or breast cancer drug. Crazy.
Yeah, but I think we have to look at it in context that as a general rule men want to keep testosterone high and estrogen low, whereas women generally want to do the opposite.

So there may be one medication or supplement that may do work differently in men and women and in that case may accomplish the desired results of both men and women; but then other things may work the same in men and women, and in cases like that, its going to be to one or the other's detriment.

For example, Clomid would be taken by men to help increase their testosterone levels and reduce estrogen; whereas Black Cohosh would be more likely to decrease testosterone and increase estrogen in men, which is why its commonly used by men that are looking to transition.

Black Cohosh is one of the most popular supplements for women for PMS and Menopause and is a great supplement for women for that purpose. But for the same reasons its great for women, it isn't for men.

There are some great products available to help decrease estrogen naturally and to also promote optimal testosterone to estrogen ratios, like Inhibit-E, which is only 18.99 to 29.99 depending on the site and sale at the time.