Best Protein to use while on PHs?

EPe9686518

Awards
I have used Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein before and liked it. It seems to be the best deal that I can find. I am trying to gain as much mass and muscle as possable on my t-1 pro cycle. I also have a hard time getting the 4000-5000 cals a day I need. Is there any better protein shakes or supplements that will help me get all the protein I need and cals up?

I saw this stuff by Twin Lab that has 2000 cals in one serving and 50 grams of protein, was woundering if this would be good. Basicaly, should I just stick with 100% whey and try to eat a lot to get my cals in check, or is there a better shake out there that will help me get the cals and protien I need with out eating quite as much.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I have used Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein before and liked it. It seems to be the best deal that I can find. I am trying to gain as much mass and muscle as possable on my t-1 pro cycle. I also have a hard time getting the 4000-5000 cals a day I need. Is there any better protein shakes or supplements that will help me get all the protein I need and cals up?
Depending upon how much you weigh, you'll want to figure up your BMR. It will be a little higher because of the T-1 Pro, but 5K calories is a bit much. But in the case you cant get to 3500+, try a homemade weight gainer, mine is:

15oz milk
1 tablespoon flax oil
2 scoops natural peanut butter
1/3 cup crushed oatmeal
2 scoops whey powder

Mix it all up and its very good. Wardog has bulking protein bars that are simple to make and very calorie dense. These are your best best. Gainers are trash and I'll explain why in part 2.

I saw this stuff by Twin Lab that has 2000 cals in one serving and 50 grams of protein, was woundering if this would be good. Basicaly, should I just stick with 100% whey and try to eat a lot to get my cals in check, or is there a better shake out there that will help me get the cals and protien I need with out eating quite as much.
Ok, lets critical think here. We know 1 gram of protein is 4 calories, so at 50 grams of protein per serving, thats 50(4) thats 200 calories from protein. Hmm..... 2000 - 200 = 1800. Oh boy. Thats 1800 calories left for fat and sugar. Mostly sugar. Even if you split this up in half servings, thats too much sugar. You're wanting mass, not diabetes.

Stick with optimum or something comparable post workout w/ dextrose or malto or a combination. You can buy dextrose horribly cheap online or at a brewery locally. Use the gainer above or something comparable as a MRP. Remember your casein before bed and stick to whole foods. Tuna is is calorie dense & protein dense and $.64 cents a can (around here), chicken, beef, steak, salmon, herring, yams, eggs, milk, peanut butter, green vegetables are a great stack for mass.

EPe9686518

Awards
Due to money reasons, would it be ok if I just used 100% whey by optimum, for my only protein shake. As well as get other protien from foods. Also, I am planning to take around 120 - 160 grams of protein from shake alone, does this sound like the right amount? I am 185, 6"4 btw. Being tall its always hard to put on mass :/. Also, should intake more protein before work out or after, and would it be better to take more before I go to sleep? Thanks for all the help.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Seems to me you should get your diet down before considering T-1. The majority of your protein intake should come from food. Secondary sources, I.e. shakes can help to make up for the defecit. As for workout, you could have a shake before, but remember it is crucially important to have one post workout to spike your insulin and induce an anabolic evironment.

EPe9686518

Awards
I get around 100 grams of protein from food a day, so thats close to 1/2. Is that still ok or sould i try to get a bit more then that from food?

EPe9686518

Awards
I also eat a LOT of chicken, beef, steak, but not exactly sure how much protein I am getting from those, or how much those typicaly have. From everything I have read, 180-280 grams of protein is what I should instake a day, am I about right on that number?

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by EPe9686518
I also eat a LOT of chicken, beef, steak, but not exactly sure how much protein I am getting from those, or how much those typicaly have. From everything I have read, 180-280 grams of protein is what I should instake a day, am I about right on that number?

Sounds to me like you need to get your diet in order before hitting the PHs.  The proper diet will benefit you much more then a PH with a not so good diet.  Get those good 6-7 meals down pat then hit the PHs and you will have much more luck.  Don't waste your money!

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I get around 100 grams of protein from food a day, so thats close to 1/2. Is that still ok or sould i try to get a bit more then that from food?
Too low. I eat 200-250g protein/day. Only about 40-50 are from shakes. Gotta eat, bro.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
good rule of thumb for me is to make sure I hit my bodyweight lb in g of protein (270 ish) daily from whole foods, *then* supp with post workout shake and maybe one other during the day depending on where I am... just wanted to reinforce, foods are the ticket, supps are supps