Berries post workout.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Instead of supplementing with Vitamin C and Vitamin E, would using blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries post workout be a good idea. I know they are high in sugar in this could lead to and insulin spike, but they are powerfull anti oxidants.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Don't forget to add watermelon to that list!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes they are high in sugar, but I love fruit pre/ post workout. Remember, fructose has a really low Glycemic number. So it ought to be slow burning. Either was the ENERGY I get off real fruit is amazing. Its kinda like bread, sure its bad, but we'd be dead without it over history.

Grifter

Board Supporter
Awards
I thought watermelon had a really high glycemic number?

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Its also loaded in Citriline Malate. It is a natural source of it. It makes a lot more sense to eat it pre than post. I am not certain what its GI is but I wouldn't doubt that it is high.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I eat pineapple or papaya after workouts for not only good sugars, but also for antioxidants, enzymes, and a little fiber. i definitely can tell a difference in my GI since adding these.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I eat fruit in the morning with breakfast and in my meal 2hours post workout. It really gives solid energy, something that I just don't get from anything else.

Tossing in a small piece of fruit with a meal is a great way to pick of some extra fiber, and increase energy levels.

scoher

Awards
Its also loaded in Citriline Malate. It is a natural source of it. It makes a lot more sense to eat it pre than post. I am not certain what its GI is but I wouldn't doubt that it is high.
It is also loaded with lycopene. I may be off here, but I think a cup of raw watermelon only has a dozen or so carbs.

BBAddict

Awards
All of the fruits mentioned here, especially watermelon, have a very high GI. But, if you're using them PWO, it doesn't matter because your body is blowing through carbs and it is unlikely that any of the sugars will be converted to fat. I say enjoy some fruit in moderation at the appropriate times because, as people are pointing out, there are a lot of other benefits to many fruits.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Somebody needs to do a seminar on glycemic index and glycemic load.

1 cup of diced watermelon has about 9 or 10 grams of CHO.

Grifter

Board Supporter
Awards
I eat lots of Kiwis. Gram for gram they provide more vit. c, riboflavin, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and fiber than most other fruits, if not all. I love the taste of kiwi, its always been my next fav. fruit, under watermelon. Nothing beats a ripe watermelon.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I thought watermelon had a really high glycemic number?
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]The GI of watermelon is high (GI = 72), but its glycaemic load is relatively low (GL = 7), because the quantity of carbohydrate in a serving of watermelon (150 g or a 5 mm thick slice) is minimal,as it contains a lot of water.

Edit: Saw jonni's post after responding to this one, my bad. Good call jonni, as usual. :)
[/FONT]

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Post workout you want things food that digest quickly, I am going the route of High GI as the case with berries. Are these easliy and readily available and digested for PWO use, also what about honey PWO I heard this is more quickly used than Maltodextrin.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Post workout you want things food that digest quickly, I am going the route of High GI as the case with berries. Are these easliy and readily available and digested for PWO use, also what about honey PWO I heard this is more quickly used than Maltodextrin.
berries are not high GI, in fact they are very low. Fructose found in fruits favors the liver for glycogen replenishment so are not ideal for post wo but you do not need a high GI carb source post wo. Oats are excellent as is brown basmati rice and most pastas. IMO

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
berries are not high GI, in fact they are very low. Fructose found in fruits favors the liver for glycogen replenishment so are not ideal for post wo but you do not need a high GI carb source post wo. Oats are excellent as is brown basmati rice and most pastas. IMO
Some people swear by a low GI post workout, on this forum there is a great discussion about HIGH GI vs. LOW GI. Anyways, then would berries be good post workout if you went the route of LOW GI?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Some people swear by a low GI post workout, on this forum there is a great discussion about HIGH GI vs. LOW GI. Anyways, then would berries be good post workout if you went the route of LOW GI?
No, due to the preference fructose has towards replenishing the liver vs skeletal muscle. Berries are a great addition to a healthy diet IMO due to the anti-oxidants, fiber, anti-inflammatory charactoristics and sustained energy release along with being quite tasty but post workout is not the optimal time for their mastication.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Like Bpmartyr said, carbs from berries (and most fruit) come from fructose which is low GI. Fructose must be first metabolised in the liver before being made available as glucose so may not ideal for periods of higher activity. That said, I use them daily (incl PWO) with oats or whole grain cereals for the micronutrients and flavor.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I usually eat oats PWO but I always eat fruit in the morning! Cool info about watermelon containg Citrullene Maleate(sp?) - no wonder when Id eat a ton of it as a kid I could run around for hours on end:)

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I love fruit, but I eat it minimally due to it's preferential replenishment of liver glycogen. I think it could still be useful post-wo, but mainly just if you do a really grueling, draining workout. Throwing is a bit here and there isn't gonna hurt ya, unless you are cutting hard.