BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mon 17th Feb

Sick Saturday, everything aches today.

Skwaaats of Dooooom

130kgx10, 130kgx10, 130kgx5: felt terrible and it was a good 5min before I realised I'd forgotten to wrap; 100kgx12 no gas, no wraps just trying to get that total volume in now; 100x12, 100x12. 6850kg total volume (I'm pretty sure).

Survived!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here is the last set:

Every week I'm getting just a little closer to breaking parallel...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don’t know what you are doing for mobility, but look up Donnie Thompson’s protocol for ankle mobility - freeing those babies up some could further help your depth.

Also, a cue that can help me get a bit more depth is trying to focus a little more on pushing the knees out to let the hips descend through them vs thinking about sitting the hips back.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don’t know what you are doing for mobility, but look up Donnie Thompson’s protocol for ankle mobility - freeing those babies up some could further help your depth.

Also, a cue that can help me get a bit more depth is trying to focus a little more on pushing the knees out to let the hips descend through them vs thinking about sitting the hips back.
I'm really just doing my physio stuff, which is aimed at improving abduction and strengthening the lower abdominals/groin.

I'm not really limited by ankle mobility yet, I'm struggling with externally rotating femurs with the wider stance, and maintaing core tension at the bottom. Things just need to change shape for me to find strength in this position, and that will just take time I guess.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tues 18th Feb

Benchpress:
Worked up to 5x6 with 120kg. Next week I am going to start focusing on strength, will change to a 3x3 protocol.

Got a doc's appointment today, will arrange for bloods.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Saturday 22nd Feb

Summary for the week:

Massive week at work has taxed my right shoulder a little such that I abandoned my Chesty bro session on Thursday in favour of heavyish squats. First time training squat at hip width in a long time bit things felt awesome and I worked up to 160kg for three singles. Easily recovered with no issues, and a lucrative little civil job had working in a hole like I haven't been able to for a ling time because of my back!

Haven't pulled yet, hoping to sneak out to the gym tomorrow morning as today I need to travel north to finish another fire pump install. Monday I start a month long project which should put me in a position where it will be easier to train consistently.

My training focus is going to shift towards strength now. Volume days will be static with progressions on a second strength day for squat and bench. Will start with a 3x3 top set protocol for strength, and eventually taper into singles. In another 2 or 3 months, if all is well, I will reduce volume and increase intensity for deads. Pretty keen to get into a position where I can hit some decent numbers towards the end of the year.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bet it’s feeling good to be back on the upswing eh? What anabolic endeavors are you thinking about taking on in 2020?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sunday 23rd Deadz

Sumo, lever belt:
100kgx10
140kgx10
150kgx10
160kgx10 ahhh I am serenely fucked
160kgx10 had to stop briefly after 5 to allow vision to return, then the last 5 were not quality reps. Next week I am going to work up to a decent 5x5. I am looking forward to it!

Chased it with some rows, lat pull down, deadbugs, and some shoulder loving stuff like TRX windmills and ext rotations.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bet it’s feeling good to be back on the upswing eh? What anabolic endeavors are you thinking about taking on in 2020?
Yep, feeling great! Had an epic back pump from those deads this morning - haven't felt that for a long time!

PEDs-wise, I'm not sure right now. I have a lot on my plate with work atm and I don't want to affect my mental state right now so I can't imagine running anything. Also, I am waiting for blood work to come back to see how my test levels are. Thinking about just going on TRT - mate of mine has done it and raves about it, not just the physical aspects but also the psychological lift. He's a bit older though, so I would like to wait.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yep, feeling great! Had an epic back pump from those deads this morning - haven't felt that for a long time!

PEDs-wise, I'm not sure right now. I have a lot on my plate with work atm and I don't want to affect my mental state right now so I can't imagine running anything. Also, I am waiting for blood work to come back to see how my test levels are. Thinking about just going on TRT - mate of mine has done it and raves about it, not just the physical aspects but also the psychological lift. He's a bit older though, so I would like to wait.
Best decision I’ve made in a long while, and I’m 34. Recover like a damn teenager again lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Best decision I’ve made in a long while, and I’m 34. Recover like a damn teenager again lol.
You’re self-administering, right?

I am really looking forward to it in coming years. My last cycle was first with test and at 300 per week I was just doing weekly pins with no issue at all. Never was it inconvenient at just once every Sunday; I could easily do that forever. I was sad to stop them the last 2 weeks while ester cleared. I think the guys that get sick of pinning are these prop/ace guys doing daily shots. No surprise they get sick of that lol. Plus you could switch to something like Nebido or Trest dec and take a shot every 3 weeks if you really get sick of pinning.

Clint Darden said in his new Youtube Q&A vids the most test he’s ever taken was nearly 4g per WEEK, which he said was absolutely awful and wasn’t worth it remotely. But he set his absolute best numbers on 375mg Sustanon & 300mg EQ pinned just once EVERY 3 WEEKS! When he pulled 821, boxsquat 957, benched 462.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tuesday 25th

Heavy bench:

Miserable session. R shoulder is cooked from working, making every rep wobbly and just a battle. Hit 140kgx1, 135kgx3, 135kgx2, 130kgx2. Used elbow sleeves this week which seem to alleviate left elbow niggles.

DB rows 30kg top pause 3x6 these have been so much more difficult on my right side since back injury but now are becoming even with left side again. I believe this is thanks to the supper slow eccentric pull ups (been performing these for 3 reps 3x per week).
BB (Pendlay) rows with soft belt 60kg for 10, 8, 8, 8, 8 excited to be doing these

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You’re self-administering, right?

I am really looking forward to it in coming years. My last cycle was first with test and at 300 per week I was just doing weekly pins with no issue at all. Never was it inconvenient at just once every Sunday; I could easily do that forever. I was sad to stop them the last 2 weeks while ester cleared. I think the guys that get sick of pinning are these prop/ace guys doing daily shots. No surprise they get sick of that lol. Plus you could switch to something like Nebido or Trest dec and take a shot every 3 weeks if you really get sick of pinning.

Clint Darden said in his new Youtube Q&A vids the most test he’s ever taken was nearly 4g per WEEK, which he said was absolutely awful and wasn’t worth it remotely. But he set his absolute best numbers on 375mg Sustanon & 300mg EQ pinned just once EVERY 3 WEEKS! When he pulled 821, boxsquat 957, benched 462.
Yep. I broke it up into 4 pins per week at 200 mg total/week. 2x per week had me
Like a roller coaster and have bad breakouts on shoulders. I think @Smont had a similar issue even with long esters and had to pin less, more frequently. It worked for me. I’m curious to give test undec a soon when back in cruise mode. I did notice a decent improvement in physical performance when I was pinning 4x/week on cruise.
4 grams a week sounds like hell lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good to see you handling the Pendlays well, Benny!

@SkRaw85 yeah he said he basically can grow well on well under a gram total much healthier; it comes down to food for growth as a strength athlete.

Smont

Smont

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yep. I broke it up into 4 pins per week at 200 mg total/week. 2x per week had me
Like a roller coaster and have bad breakouts on shoulders. I think @Smont had a similar issue even with long esters and had to pin less, more frequently. It worked for me. I’m curious to give test undec a soon when back in cruise mode. I did notice a decent improvement in physical performance when I was pinning 4x/week on cruise.
4 grams a week sounds like hell lol
Up until about 4-6 months ago I was fine pinning everything 1-2x week now 2 is bare minimum, I try to go every 2-3 days with long esters now

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wed 26th

Skwaaats

Felt like sleeping in today, and I should have. Hit 3x3 with 140kg, neutral, wide, neutral stance. Everything felt cooked and R hip was tight. 3rd set I strained my r groin, not too bad but enough to pull the pin. Time to deload.

Blood work back with everything in range except cholesterol & blood sugar. Typically my cholesterol gets out of whack when I'm eating too much sugar and re-profiles very nicely with a high protein low carb protocol. So started this yesterday. Test was high for me, at 17.2nmol, but I expect this to settle as Clomid wears off and once I run out of K1ngs Blood.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sat 7th Mar

Pulls: worked up to 2x3 with 180kg then 3x3 with 200kg, all sumo. First set was horrible, and realised after reviewing it I need to take a bit more time to find tension off the floor. With that in mind, something clicked and second set of 180 felt ridiculously easy, so bumped up to 200 from there. I am confident I can progress with improving form from 200 - honestly felt like I could have hit it for 3x5 this morning.

Diet-wise, I have been sticking to low carb high protein high fat protocol, but haven't logged properly since switching. Need to start keeping track now I am adapted, so I can drop a few kgs without compromising performance. Weighed 101.5kg this morning, want to get below 95kg by September.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Consider 5 sets of 3 instead of 3 sets of 5 if you do decide to add volume. This gives you more first reps, which are toughest with sumo. Sumo is much easier to pull higher reps on because the body falls back into the optimal groove after the initial deadlift, but the ability to find that on your own before the first rep is what will raise your max and help keep you safer longterm!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Omg my logging is terrible atm.

Monday skwaats: 3x3 with 140kg after many warm up sets. R hip did not want to party, but got through it and stayed healthy in the end.

Today: Benchpress. 132.5kgx3, 132.5kgx1 (core fatigue), 130kgx3, 132.5kgx3
Pendlay row 60kg 5x8
Strict OHP 50kg 3x8
Seated rows with a flexi-spine thing going on (physio mvt) '45' for 3x8

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thurs 12th March

Light squats, sumo af beltless, 80kg 8x10
Preacher curl 30kg 3x10
Unilateral tri rope push down 3x10
Isolation Db curls 12.5kg 5x10
Bent over Db tri extension 7.5kg 5x10
Seated Db curl 12.5kg 3x8

Barbell ab rollouts 3x6

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Saturday 14th Mar

Deadlift:

Absolute struggle today. R groin is jacked up again so pulling conventional. 180kg feels like 220, and my body just does not want to do more than 1 rep - getting a little twang from that r groin and some heat through the pelvis. So 9 singles with 180kg like this:

Couple kgs down in bodyweight too, now weigh 100kg. Eating lots of eggs, steak, chicken and salmon with a fat serve of green veg every day.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Monday 16th

Felt like the tin man thus morning! Squats sucked, couldn't quite hit parallel with any style, and hardly felt any difference between 60kg and 150kg: it all just ached. Ended up working, slowly, up to: 140kgx3; 150kgx3; 140kgx3.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tues 17th Mar

Pull Accessories:

BW pull up normal tempo 5x5
Seated incline unilateral row 40kg 3x10, slow contraction with top pause: going for that mid lat pump
BB upright row 40kg 4x10, wide grip going for parallel humerus. Have a feeling I look unco AF doing these lol
Cable lat pull over: worked up to whole stack for 3x8. So much stronger with these now.
Bent over Db row 30kg 3x10
Rehab cable row: (straight legs, using spinal flexion to drag the handle into position for the final row) 45kg 3x10
Barbell roll out 5x8

Ate some carbs yesterday, feel 100% better today.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wed 18th Mar

Bench: worked up to 130kgx3; 135kgx3; 135kgx2; 130kgx1 farken horrible; 120kgx3 - even this felt difficult.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anything changing down in Oceana with the spreading of this coronavirus?
So far they have shut down public events with 500 people or more, and quarantine for everyone entering the country. We have 454 cases so far with 9 deaths. Can still go to the gym, but probably not after Friday, which will suck!

So far major concerns lie with economic impacts of Corona Virus here.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How bout you mate, do have somewhere to train still?
Yeah our gym is a warehouse and it’s private, mainly for the owner to train high school athletes, so he’s staying open until they threaten him with a felony. But it’s also pretty unmarked and people don’t really even notice it or know it’s there, and we have a key so even if he has to close his training we can probably still come in and sneak some lifting since there’s such a small number of us.

I work from home already and am salary, so thankfully this doesn’t really mean much for me, but wife isn’t making the tips she normally would so I will be paying most of the bills for the foreseeable future (which is fine, happy to be able to).

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Friday 20th

Felt like crap aga8n this morning, but just tried to ignore it at first. Deadlift:

Worked up to 180kg 2x3 sumo style, super shaky legs!

Knee blew up after this so wrapped them up and loaded up 205kg, which I couldn't even get off the ground. I was soooo farken PO'd I started packing up to rage quit the entire session, and my little bottle of ammonia felt out of my gym bag. So I loaded 225kg up, wrapped up knees, shifted my heavy belt up and in a notch, and pulled it sumo style for 2 reps. Video from behind shows me shifting left first rep then correcting second.

Finished the session with 200kg 3x3, sumo, wrapped.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Half sumo is probably more accurate. After watching this I feel like I'm not sitting back deep enough at the lift off.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice pulls! That’s still sumo - Ed Coan was famous for pulling rather close for sumo like that. He did alright

You actually don’t want to sit “down” at all - you want your hips absolutely as high as possible to start the lift, and you did a great job of that. What you do want to emphasize more is trying to bring them closer to the bar. How do you get the hips closer without lowering them? You have to forcefully wedge them in tighter, which will have you turning your chest up higher than a conventional pull at the point the bar is beginning to break the floor.

Youtube great sumo pullers like Chris Duffin, Cailer Woolam, Yuri Belkin, and watch them at 0.5x playback speed if you want to see how the best in the world do it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Subbed!

Agreed w/ Hyde. Hips should be high, but not stiff-legged. Super low hips will always shoot up because the vast majority of us can't get our hips low AND close. Even with high hips-if they aren't close to the bar, they'll shoot up. I try to make myself "as tall" as possible when I setup to the bar. I dunno how else to describe it, it makes sense in my head lmfao

Great log, man!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice pulls! That’s still sumo - Ed Coan was famous for pulling rather close for sumo like that. He did alright

You actually don’t want to sit “down” at all - you want your hips absolutely as high as possible to start the lift, and you did a great job of that. What you do want to emphasize more is trying to bring them closer to the bar. How do you get the hips closer without lowering them? You have to forcefully wedge them in tighter, which will have you turning your chest up higher than a conventional pull at the point the bar is beginning to break the floor.

Youtube great sumo pullers like Chris Duffin, Cailer Woolam, Yuri Belkin, and watch them at 0.5x playback speed if you want to see how the best in the world do it.
Subbed!

Agreed w/ Hyde. Hips should be high, but not stiff-legged. Super low hips will always shoot up because the vast majority of us can't get our hips low AND close. Even with high hips-if they aren't close to the bar, they'll shoot up. I try to make myself "as tall" as possible when I setup to the bar. I dunno how else to describe it, it makes sense in my head lmfao

Great log, man!
Thanks for the feedback fellas! You are right my hips are too low at the start, and are shifting up before the bar leaves the ground. Got to focus on finding that super-tight position, the same way I do with conventional. I always thought of sumo deadlift as kind of a squat pull, but thinking about it this way has me searching for the worng start position.

Welcome aboard Sean! I just discovered your training log yesterday, can't believe I havent earlier considering it's seven yrs long! I really like your style of training mate, I am seriously thinking about running a progression block using your 20 singles in 30min protocol for deads.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Saturday 21st Mar

I keep forgetting to log my upper body volume workouts every week, but I want to keep track now as I have settled into a regular format.

Benchpress: 5x10 with 90kg
Pendlay Row: 5x8 with 60kg and a pause at the top - trying to get my mind into my lats especially the facia connection at the bottom.
Upright row, 30kg 3x10: I am experimenting with grip width, looking for a position that does not inflame my right shoulder
BW chinup, slow eccentric, 5x5
Cable pullovers, 45kg, 5x10
TRX windmills 3x8
TRX superman (smashwerx shoulder prehab style)

Felt extremely glycogen depleted after this. Indian for dinner tonight, so expecting to carb load with some rice and butter chicken!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mon 23rd March

Gyms are closed now, **** is getting weird.

Not really sure what to do with myself going forward.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Found this place yesterday, started trading here this morning:

Parallel grip BW pullup 6,6,8,8,6
Push up 5x20
Banded hip thrusts black band 5x 20
Dead bugs 3x10
Hanging leg raise 3x5
Black band unilateral row 3x10

Going to buy a decent barbell and 200kg of plates today, just going to bring it here and use it in the dark!
IMG_20200324_054504_303.jpeg

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Faaaark I'm sick. Sore throat, dry cough and fevers. Looks like I've got the 'Rona!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Saturday 28th Mar:

First carport session!
Deadlift, 180kg for 5x3. This was a bit of a struggle as I have been coughing since Tuesday, and not sleeping well. I am definitely on the up and up now though!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looks like 216kg/476lbs total? Nice score! Remember to take extra rest days training while still sick, and keep the accessory minimal. You’re the only person I’ve known who probably has the ‘rona still pulling 4 blues a side!