At what point should a person use a belt benching?

cody199477

Awards
  • Established
Title says it all?
I can bench 425, I’m sure I could hit 455 but that’s irrelative.
I wear a belt for heavy rows(315) and anything about 365/405 squatting but have never used it for benching. Always wear the belt when lower back pump is going hard but this usually only comes on back days when rowing movements are the focus

In your guys experience when did you start using a belt when benching and or when should a person start if you think they should?

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I have tryed it before and can't really tell a difference. I'd say running a belt benching for a few months and see if u can hit a PR with it on. I know geared lifters do it to keep the bench shirt in place.

ironhands

Awards
  • Established
use the belt only when you are trying to break a PR

Gravitygames2

Gravitygames2

Awards
**** a belt do your wrists hurt? Nice number! If any number calls for one id say after 400 for sure or to one comfort. If you dont need one dont use it it may weaken a strong area you have others dont.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Use a belt if you want, whenever you want. If it helps keep you more rigid through your torso then itll likely translate to bigger numbers as it will facilitate less energy loss from your feet anchored to the floor through your core and into the bar. Theres no right or wrong answer here, if it helps wear it, if you want to cuz you think it looks cool wear it, if it doesnt help or you dont like it then dont.