Article: OVERFEEDING PROTEIN DOES NOT INCREASE BODYWEIGHT

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is great to know, even though ive prerty much found this out over the years to see it proven is even better.

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
And yet again chaos and pain has been proven right years later.

max d

Awards
  • Established
I guess this is good to know for maintenance resons but I was surprised that the high protein group didn't gain any lean mass either even though they were eating 800 more cals a day than they were previously. I wish they would of made it so we would know if the 800 cals was over their maint cals or not.

jp_x_type

jp_x_type

Awards
  • Established
what they don't mention (or what they didn't looking into in this study) is the potential side effects this diet could bring along: digestive? over acidic body enviroment? would be interesting to have 360-degree research done on these diets, including investigating potential side effects.

surely over 300g of protein daily cannot be healthy long term.

what i think is that apart from the protein's thermic effect, the fact the high protein group didn't gain weight or put on extra lean mass could be down to the fact that their bodies simply couldn't handle digesting all that protein and this is what I believe could lead to side effects. they probably just eliminated what the body couldn't process...

islandiron

islandiron

Awards
307 grms a day!! Thats not good for ya, unless your a 275lb BB..was it a mix of whey and solids?

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
what they don't mention (or what they didn't looking into in this study) is the potential side effects this diet could bring along: digestive? over acidic body enviroment? would be interesting to have 360-degree research done on these diets, including investigating potential side effects.

surely over 300g of protein daily cannot be healthy long term.

what i think is that apart from the protein's thermic effect, the fact the high protein group didn't gain weight or put on extra lean mass could be down to the fact that their bodies simply couldn't handle digesting all that protein and this is what I believe could lead to side effects. they probably just eliminated what the body couldn't process...
I actually lived on a diet that included 5 shakes of 50g+ of protein for 4 months. That plus one or two big meat meals.

Gains were had and I did not suffer any Bad side effects. I took animal pak every day to get all the micros and felt pretty good.

noahneng

noahneng

Awards
For cutting, I usually do high protein (~200g / day = 2.3 g protein / KG body weight) and drastically cut everything else. I wonder how crazy high protein (as in this article) and drastically reducing most everything else would work for cuttting?

wiseman

wiseman

Awards
Funny how they didn't add any muscle. All that protein must have made them constipated. Protein is a bit overrated in my opinion. It's essential but they've blown the need for protein way over what is necessary for the profit potential. I'd rather eat less kcals than stuff myself with all that protein!

bmanstrong

Awards
Hey did anyone else notice that eating all that extra protein didn't add one ounce of muscle? Nice the way they respun the study to still promote protein. Amazing. Here's what the article title should of said, "OVERFEEDING PROTEIN DOES NOT INCREASE MUSCLE"!!!

garrettg84

Awards
What was the size of the study? If they only had 5 or 10 people, all of this could be a farce.