army special forces..??? anyone been there?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
i will prolly end up going for this.. anyone know anyone or has anyone been there done that?

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I was Pararescue in the Air Force for six years, before going to sachool and becoming commisioned. What area are you interested in? Maybe I can point you in the right direction.

b-boy

Awards
no bro i was not special forces, but my unit was like a block away from a special forces unit at fort bragg, I use to work out with a guy (a big mofo) when i was at bragg, he told me that fort bragg was a good place to get stationed as special forces, hell he was tabbed out, he had a special forces tab, ranger tab, bro was hardcore, and lifted like a fucking animal, which explained his great muscle density. any questions you got i can try and answer but i was no special forces guy, i was a rigger in the army and we supported some special forces unit.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
i was SERE and trust me, listen to sifu :) them hooya guys know their ****! my indoc instructors got shipped somwhere and we had to finish up our indoc with pararesecue/combat controllers and them guys are BADASS! i'd put them up against any seal/beret or whatever anyday.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
lakemountD: from what i've seen anyone can do it, i made it through the pararesecue/combat control last 4 weeks of their indoc. its not so much about anything except not quiting. almost anyone can pass the requirments and if you don't quit and go through their crap there is no way to fail the requirements almost. its about not quiting and even i was MINUTES from quiting at times, its not easy...its mostly drive.

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Word PJ's and CCT's are the bomb. We go through more schools than any other spec ops. I am in a different job now though. But still have mad props for those guys. So you were a SERE instructor huh? I love Fairchild what a awesome base.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
yup fairchild on rambo drive :)

gotta love the speakers saying 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 11, 10, 9 as you're sleeping :) don't you wish they hit 0? :)

some things people never forget hehe

yah pj/cct have my full respect. awesome careers, however, i hope i never see Sgt. Pope ever again, he was there at indoc when i had to go through the last part and that guy is INSANE :) no more water confidence please...

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Pope is Agency now. Yes I remember the number sequence. My fun times were with the PJ's but it is hard on the wife and kids. Oh well I am cross training soon again. Can't wait.

Water confidence, you mean you didn't like that part? Just kidding.

So what do you do now??

Oh ya Lakemountd. Go to www.specialtactics.com it will give you a full background of what Air Force special ops do. SERE instructor would be a cool job too.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
well ive always been into that sort of stuff... im very disciplined and ANYTHING tha challenges me i love.. its always been an interest and well my friends a seal and i want to go a step up.. i know i could make it..

sifu what do you suggest? i was reading about alpha squadron on army's site.. but dont know too much about the divisions..

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
i had a very bad back injury up in the mountains while in SERE. cross trained to security forces where i got into the EST team (swat). I'm now out and in the national guard and just starting college. hope to get a crim justice degree. Thats awesome for pope. that guy was um, unstopable! I don't know if i want to get back into the fed system after school or go with a local agency. the retirement is good, but the system as a whole needs some major work.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
lakemountd just remember the air force does take care of its people much better than any other branch. special ops guys get some perks, but i still think the air force guys are taken care of the best...just my .02, i do respect all the branches though even though we all give each other a hard time. okay bed time

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well I would definately say the Air Force, hell in my squad we had former D-boys, SEALS the whole nine yards because the Air Force does live a better life. I think if you really want to be challenged the way to go is combat controller or pararescue. The only difference is PJ's go to EMT school when the CCT guys go to air traffic control school.

Otherwise you will go to indoc, jump,scuba,HALO, Small unit Tactics school, one of the ones I told you, SERE training, and after you become qualified you can go to ranger school, pathfinder school.

You will run and swim until you can't go anymore. I quit counting pushups at 900 my first day of PJ indoc. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. You will make life long friends.

Any other questions?

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh ya and the PJ's and CCT guys are basically left alone by the commanders and such. They see the berets and leave you alone. We are a different breed. There are only certain bases you will be stationed at. And believe me they are better than the Army bases you would be at.

Marine Recons are top notch as well. However you have to be in your job for a year then volunteer. Kind of like the SEALS.

With the PJ's and CCT's you can come in guaranteed for that job

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
im more into special operations type ****.. i dont know.. i like not knowing what i will be doing the next day, who i will be going after or where they are sending me..

i have heard air force life is better but i mean cmon when they need things done, the seals, berets, etc are sent first not the air force guys lol..

i mean who is cream of the crop?

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dude Combat Controllers and Pararescue are special forces. Why do you think we go to so many schools. The Combat controllers are always the first in. Three of the guys killed in black hawk down with the D-boys and green berets were CCT's.

Go to that web site and you will see. When I was in Afghanistan, all we worked with was the green berets and MIKE teams.

You just don't hear about the Air Force special ops as much that's all.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Dude Combat Controllers and Pararescue are special forces. Why do you think we go to so many schools. The Combat controllers are always the first in. Three of the guys killed in black hawk down with the D-boys and green berets were CCT's.

Go to that web site and you will see. When I was in Afghanistan, all we worked with was the green berets and MIKE teams.

You just don't hear about the Air Force special ops as much that's all.
i see i see.. and what is it CCT's actually do? this army website is too cluttered.. hard to find good info..

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Quick question, did they change the requirements on SF? Because I know when I was in, you had to be at least Sgt (E5 or higher) to even qualify for the Q school

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
you can join the air force with a garanteed job for special ops. cct's motto is "first there" they are normally the fist into a combat operation. you don't hear about special ops for the air force because they are smaller i believe. I definately would go talk to a recruiter about those two jobs and at least get the information and also check into the other branches. you will see that you can't go straight into special ops in o ther branches. air force is very well known for taking care of its people also...i don't think anyone can really question this. just make sure you check out all the branches and not just with recruiters but people that have done each branch.

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Quick question, did they change the requirements on SF? Because I know when I was in, you had to be at least Sgt (E5 or higher) to even qualify for the Q school
My brother-in-law is a cyber recruiter for USAREC (US Army Recruiting Command) out of Ft. Knox. For those that want to waste his time his name is Mr. Henderson and he can be located through the chat room on the Army website (they have recruiters in the chat room answering questions). Tell him that I sent you ;)

At any rate, it is now an option to directly enlist into an SF group. Junior enlisted will wind up on a B-team for support and will not become MOS Q'd until they hit NCO rank (or at least promotable).

Remember the old days when you had to possess mettle for jobs like that? They are destroying the elite nature of the SF corp...just my opinion though.

My final word: RANGERS LEAD THE WAY.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude...

Chemo

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure about the Army, that could be. But the Air Force lets you come straight into it. For the Marines and Navy, you can volunteer after one year.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
When I was in the army you had to be in for atleast three years to go through SFAS and then if you were accepted you would get promoted to E-5 right out of Qschool.

I went through SFAS, and on the second to last day I blew my knee out and couldnt make the last march, that is all I had to do but my knee swelled up and looked like a melon about three miles in. They pulled me off the course, I tried to fight'em off but the instructor knocked me down and I couldnt get back up. Definitely not a fun time but worth it.

Beta BBer

Awards
i wish i could do it, just not the thing to do in my family, plus i wouldn't do it as long as im with my girlfriend, i just dont believe in putting someone else through that sort of loss (potentially of course)

side note, my best friend is a forward observer stationed at bragg he was going to do rangers, but wants to do SF instead, he is volunteering for the last part of SF training where they have to train a guerilla force (they use regular army volunteers as the guerillas), and my favorite teacher in high school was a pararescue air force, and man did he have stories! but he didn't like to talk about mogadishu.

sidenote, over 100 troops have lost limbs in iraq so far. something to think about for thanksgiving.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
the more i read about these cct guys the more i like about them!! working along with seals and delta and stuff on various missions.. they truly are bada$$!