Are these considered GDAs? & Need for berberine study

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
What do you call supplements like ecdysterones, Korean mistletoe extract or ursolic acid that have been shown to have a statistically significant effect on lowering glucose levels and hemoglobin A1C? I’m figuring it may not be “GDA” but what do we call them then? I’m looking for a collective classification I can use for a paper.

Also, since berberine is considering a GDA and probably the most popular one, does anyone have studies demonstrating its negative impacts on resistance training or muscle atrophy? I‘ve seen a lot of people mention it’s not great for maintaining muscle or building muscle mass, but don’t see any literature supporting this (especially in humans and when taken orally).

Any help is appreciated guys.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
What do you call supplements like ecdysterones, Korean mistletoe extract or ursolic acid that have been shown to have a statistically significant effect on lowering glucose levels and hemoglobin A1C? I’m figuring it may not be “GDA” but what do we call them then? I’m looking for a collective classification I can use for a paper.

Also, since berberine is considering a GDA and probably the most popular one, does anyone have studies demonstrating its negative impacts on resistance training or muscle atrophy? I‘ve seen a lot of people mention it’s not great for maintaining muscle or building muscle mass, but don’t see any literature supporting this (especially in humans and when taken orally).

Any help is appreciated guys.
Ecdy - Adaptogen
KME and Ursolic Acid - Natty Anabolics

Berberine’s effects on blood glucose are via activating AMPk. When AMPk is activated, mTOR is deactivated. This is of course super simplified, and a better analogy may be to think of AMPk and mTOR as a seesaw. One goes up, the other goes down.

As far as I know, literature doesn’t exist in humans showing that ingestion of Berberine causes muscle atrophy. In the context of a high protein diet, I’m not sure how much of a concern Berberine usage is in regards to muscle atrophy

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Sorry, I missed where you’re trying to give them an umbrella classification.

Maybe insulin sensitivity optimizers.

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
Ecdy - Adaptogen
KME and Ursolic Acid - Natty Anabolics

Berberine’s effects on blood glucose are via activating AMPk. When AMPk is activated, mTOR is deactivated. This is of course super simplified, and a better analogy may be to think of AMPk and mTOR as a seesaw. One goes up, the other goes down.

As far as I know, literature doesn’t exist in humans showing that ingestion of Berberine causes muscle atrophy. In the context of a high protein diet, I’m not sure how much of a concern Berberine usage is in regards to muscle atrophy
I once thought of it as a seesaw as well, but I don’t think it’s that simplified. I’ve seen similar studies of metformin activating AMPK independent of mTOR activity.. especially in the elderly population, in which metformin has been shown to to have a hyperactive mTOR effect. I’m assuming that’s similar to berberine. That’s why I don’t really understand why everyone says so definitively that it’s detrimental to muscle mass.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hypoglycemics?