ARA content in Egg Yolks and Inflammation

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Egg yolks are known to be inflammatory and are so because of their ARA content. I cannot seem to find out about how much a yolk contains. If someone were eating 10 yolks a day could they be taking in enough ARA to experience systematic inflammation at some noticeable level?

Has anyone experienced increased inflammation when eating a diet high in egg yolks?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'd be careful throwing around "inflammation" as just a broad term and note that in "most" cases people aren't going to be noticing any major issues with it barring other factors, but I get what you are saying.

As far as eggs it looks like 75mg per yolk (seems lower than what I thought it was, but that was the first link I found on it so take that fwiw). I do remember it seeming like it is hard to get a decent ArA dose from food, hence why supplemental form for an ergogenic benefit was so popular.

Lower dose (maybe 500mg per day for longer term?) did gain traction at one point so eating a decent bit of eggs per day (maybe 5-6 if you aren't genetically predisposed to issues with cholesterol due to that intake) may be worth a shot. It is a bit funny because it is one of those things where maybe those bodybuilders back in the day were onto something pounding steak and eggs and getting all these things that we try to isolate now (creatine, ara, choline, carnitine, etc.) through food. :unsure:

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks for your reply man

A person I am helping is experiencing water retention and what they described as "flaring up" of older injuries, nothing crazy but aches and pains and some joint irritation.

It appears to not be caused by sodium, or stress/cortisol and we are going through the process of elimination.

One thing that was mentioned to me was that though hard to pinpoint exactly on the timeline, this person switched their fat source to almost 100% egg yolks outside of trace roughly around the same time these issues arose. We already tried to clear some of the obvious things with no results, and I thought today, could it be the fat source? We are going to see, I was just curious if anyone ever noticed this to aide / confirm my suspicion.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks for your reply man

A person I am helping is experiencing water retention and what they described as "flaring up" of older injuries, nothing crazy but aches and pains and some joint irritation.

It appears to not be caused by sodium, or stress/cortisol and we are going through the process of elimination.

One thing that was mentioned to me was that though hard to pinpoint exactly on the timeline, this person switched their fat source to almost 100% egg yolks outside of trace roughly around the same time these issues arose. We already tried to clear some of the obvious things with no results, and I thought today, could it be the fat source? We are going to see, I was just curious if anyone ever noticed this to aide / confirm my suspicion.
That would be a situation where maybe that is a factor once narrowed down, I can't say I'd be much more help, but I would say I'd opt to try to get some other fats if eggs are their only current one (but I'd need more info and you probably know more than me for this person anyways). Good luck!

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Never had issues with my UC from eating eggs, up to 5 in a meal usually. ARA at a clinical dosage on the other hand, shut the gates 🤢

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Egg yolks are known to be inflammatory and are so because of their ARA content. I cannot seem to find out about how much a yolk contains. If someone were eating 10 yolks a day could they be taking in enough ARA to experience systematic inflammation at some noticeable level?

Has anyone experienced increased inflammation when eating a diet high in egg yolks?
Here’s something from 2019:

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ara is not always bad. There are several ways to evaluate this. It may be wise to first consider one's omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Several studies have indicated that a poor ratio may be more a concern compared to total dietary intake. It seems, based on the limited data, a 4:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 may be "ideal". This means that this person should be striving to get omega-3s in their diet if their main fat source is egg yolks since it contains a decent amount of both Ara and LA. LA is the most dominant omega-6 in most peoples diets and it can be converted into Ara in the body as needed. Ara can be converted into proinflammatory compounds or inflammation resolving ones, depending on need. Resolve was correct that it is context specific and unique to the biochemistry of that person (IE what their body thinks they need from their current omega state). Conditions associated with chronic inflammation when a high amount of omega-6s are lining our cells, the omega-6s are more likely to be used to generate proinflammatory compounds, this is one example. Another example is that after exercise, omega-6s are first used to general certain proinflammatory compounds that assist with adaptations (why Ara is used as a bbing supplement) and then this process later signals the omega-6s to be converted into inflammation resolving compounds (these promote the resolution of inflammation and tissue repair as a result, this helps complete the recovery process). It is ideal to have a balance of omega-3s to omega-6s as the omega-3s seems to regulate the inflammatory response generated by omega-6s and they are also converted into inflammation resolving compounds. I hope this helps.