Apple Cider Vinegar questions

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I believe I have insulin resistance and have started taking apple cider vinegar. My questions involve, well how well it's supposed to work for insulin resistance and thyroid and how it helps with digestion. I don't know if I should be concerned, but it seems I have gone to the bathroom less since I've been taking it the past few days, but I do not feel at all constipated. Before I started taking it, I would have to rush to the bathroom once a day and basically have diarrhea. So, I'm not sure if it's hurting, or helping in that regard. Also I read it can be bad for your teeth, but I'm wondering if this can be negated if I drink water right after, rather than diluting it. The reason I rather just drink a table spoon straight up is to always get the dose 100%, rather than having my OCD kick in and thinking "Did I get the full dose?"
Furthermore, I believe I have insulin resistance is because no matter what I set my calories to, I only seem to loose 10 pounds and then my body does whatever it can to prevent further fat loss, despite calorie deficits and despite activity level. Last but not least, I doubt I can get much blood work done, because I am poor, my insurance is the bare minimum and my insurance ONLY wants to get blood work for the bare basics, TSH and not t3 or t4, for example.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
ACV will aid digestion and has mild GDA effects. It can leach potassium from the body, so make sure to get potassium rich foods. Try to toss it, missing your teeth, and clean your mouth out with some water. Don't drink water with ACV or with your meal, as that will aid digestion. I have stopped drinking most times with a meal; water dilutes acid and increases the PH, more basic environment makes digestion a bit slower. Look into Berberine, taking that before each meal, and will help significantly with insulin resistance.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Taking a high quality Curcumin supplement can help with insulin resistance, and BLR just released a 60 percent forskolin supplement with a launch sale code, which can aid your endeavors as well.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Honestly I wouldn't expect to see a ton out of ACV, but it is pretty cheap and you don't need a ton (1-2 tablespoons a day) to line up with the possible benefits.

If you are hitting fat loss plateaus there could be so many different reasons for it, especially considering you see some initial weight loss. I would be careful to try and self diagnose yourself as insulin resistant on just this info if you can't get more testing done.

That said give this a try to see if it helps you, some do notice decreased intake of food with the addition of ACV and maybe some blood glucose balancing benefits, but keep in mind if you had trouble before at certain weight loss endeavors that addressing the actual limiting factor will be the most beneficial route.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ACV will aid digestion and has mild GDA effects. It can leach potassium from the body, so make sure to get potassium rich foods. Try to toss it, missing your teeth, and clean your mouth out with some water. Don't drink water with ACV or with your meal, as that will aid digestion. I have stopped drinking most times with a meal; water dilutes acid and increases the PH, more basic environment makes digestion a bit slower. Look into Berberine, taking that before each meal, and will help significantly with insulin resistance.
I have read mixed things on berberine. I have read that it can both increase and reduce testosterone, though the only study I read that was done where it reduces it is for women. I cannot find any actual studies, just summaries of studies. I have been taking it once a day though for a week and have lost about 2 pounds. I have been more tired lately, but I attribute that to coffee. I drink decaf, but coffee acts as a sedative to me, even without the caffeine.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Honestly I wouldn't expect to see a ton out of ACV, but it is pretty cheap and you don't need a ton (1-2 tablespoons a day) to line up with the possible benefits.

If you are hitting fat loss plateaus there could be so many different reasons for it, especially considering you see some initial weight loss. I would be careful to try and self diagnose yourself as insulin resistant on just this info if you can't get more testing done.

That said give this a try to see if it helps you, some do notice decreased intake of food with the addition of ACV and maybe some blood glucose balancing benefits, but keep in mind if you had trouble before at certain weight loss endeavors that addressing the actual limiting factor will be the most beneficial route.
I'll echo this. Don't expect miracles but for an inexpensive store product combined with anecdotal success I think its worth the try with little to lose. There are also glucose disposal agents available that may help.