Anyone worried if Corona virus keeps spreading the gyms will shut down?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You continue to miss the point despite me repeating it several times. You did however get me to engage in the convo again lol.

The cdc has no right to make anything mandatory. Mayors and governors and presidents do. If they see the cdc make a recommendation and then they see people blatantly choosing to ignore the recommendations its on them to make people follow it. Not healthcare workers. Thats the last im going to speak on it.

Edit: and we’re talking about when people are in public. They do have a right to make things mandatory in hospitals or healthcare settings. And I guaran-damn-tee you that masks are mandatory in a lot of healthcare settings right now.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You continue to miss the point despite me repeating it several times. You did however get me to engage in the convo again lol.

The cdc has no right to make anything mandatory. Mayors and governors and presidents do. If they see the cdc make a recommendation and then they see people blatantly choosing to ignore the recommendations its on them to make people follow it. Not healthcare workers. Thats the last im going to speak on it.
geez, quit be dense...the cdc can't make anything mandatory----BUT, PAY ATTENTION HERE, THIS IS IMPORTANT.

they CAN RECOMMEND masks be MANDATORY...I FAIL TO SEE WHY YOU CANT GRASP THIS?

BTW-i never blamed healthcare WORKERS, just the so called 'experts'.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Healthcare experts dont do any of the things I just said either. The recommendations are there. People are already up in arms just at the recommendation and the few politicians that have mandated it based on the recommendations of healthcare experts have seen huge backlash from it. There obviously are healthcare experts recommending it or no politicians whatsoever would have tried it already.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Healthcare experts dont do any of the things I just said either. The recommendations are there. People are already up in arms just at the recommendation and the few politicians that have mandated it based on the recommendations of healthcare experts have seen huge backlash from it. There obviously are healthcare experts recommending it or no politicians whatsoever would have tried it already.
to hell if there is backlash, so what...look at the damage that has already been done in lives and economy...

i will ask you if you personally think we will reach containment WITHOUT making masks mandatory in public places????

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Left the house for the first time in weeks to go get a pizza.
Holy hell it's pandemonium in Florida. Nobody is social distancing. Look for a burst of cases of Covid 19 in FLA.
Why are so many stupid people in FLA?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Holy hell it's pandemonium in Florida. Nobody is social distancing. Look for a burst of cases of Covid 19 in FLA.
stupid enough to hope the president and vice president die from covid19 like you?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im not sure the "success" of other countries has been because of mandatory face masks; take NZ and Australia for example, there was no mandatory face-mask-wearing in either of those countries (except for health workers).

Id hazard a guess that the bigger factor with the US compared to most other countries, is that most other countries populations have acted as unified populations. Meaning, you wont see states or areas within any of those individual countries having contrary rules with each other.

The United States has been rather non-United.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
stupid enough to hope the president and vice president die from covid19 like you?
What you’re referencing has been discussed and laid to rest. This post isn’t helpful to any discussion. While he and I are on polar opposite ends of the Trump spectrum, we agree to leave it alone and discuss other things rationally without attacking each other. Why can’t you?

Richie Rich

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Gyms in Jersey looking at a July 1st opening, allegedly.

Richie Rich

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Which part?
I'm assuming all. But Murphy is a dip **** so really knows but what I do know, July 1st is the target date, all gym staff will have to wear masks and gloves, have full time cleaning people using hospital grade cleaning supplies.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm assuming all. But Murphy is a dip **** so really knows but what I do know, July 1st is the target date, all gym staff will have to wear masks and gloves, have full time cleaning people using hospital grade cleaning supplies.
I’m in pa where the stay at home order is June 4 but my sister lives in Princeton, nj where there is no talk of lifting the order. I’m just wondering how they’ve given a date to open gyms?

Richie Rich

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I’m in pa where the stay at home order is June 4 but my sister lives in Princeton, nj where there is no talk of lifting the order. I’m just wondering how they’ve given a date to open gyms?
I know a couple people who work for the state, I literally found this out a half hour ago, right now they're more concerned about opening the beaches and boardwalks before memorial day than anything else.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I know a couple people who work for the state, I literally found this out a half hour ago, right now they're more concerned about opening the beaches and boardwalks before memorial day than anything else.
Thanks for the info because I’m right across the river so I can deal with a few months of backyard lifting

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Lmao and yet all I see on the internet is Americans blaming trump.. sure he wasn’t excellent... but when you look outside the windows and see how the Americans act outside... it’s pretty easy to see who’s to blame.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lmao and yet all I see on the internet is Americans blaming trump.. sure he wasn’t excellent... but when you look outside the windows and see how the Americans act outside... it’s pretty easy to see who’s to blame.
He's insisting those GOP governors open up... so yeah, he's to blame.
No testing, no tracing.. only if you work at the WH I suppose.

And, stupid Republicans running around like it's a hoax infecting everyone, and each other.
They are to blame as well. Did you need just to absolve the idiot in chief though?

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
He's insisting those GOP governors open up... so yeah, he's to blame.
No testing, no tracing.. only if you work at the WH I suppose.

And, stupid Republicans running around like it's a hoax infecting everyone, and each other.
They are to blame as well. Did you need just to absolve the idiot in chief though?
Never said all of this wasn’t true. I’m saying even if you tell someone to jump off a roof and it’s going to be okay it takes one stupid idiot to actually jump off that roof. You get my point? There’s millions of Americans running outside living their life like all of this is a joke, going to the beach,going shopping, chilling outside. These people are as guilty as the governement for all the people dying. THIS is what I’m saying. If everyone stayed home, EVERYONE. And thousands of people were dying because trumps action then yes I would say he’s 100% guilty. Can we really say this is the case now? Y’all staying home being responsible humans?

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Gyms in Jersey looking at a July 1st opening, allegedly.
I’m in NY and it seems like Cuomo wants us shutdown all 2020. I’d assume NY and NJ are going to decide the same. July 1 seems plausible.

Richie Rich

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I’m in NY and it seems like Cuomo wants us shutdown all 2020. I’d assume NY and NJ are going to decide the same. July 1 seems plausible.
Both are dip shits, Murphy wants all beaches and boardwalks open by memorial day and he's said it multiple times, businesses are hurting down here and he's feeling the pressure.

Wildwood NJ beaches and boardwalks already opened this weekend, Cape may by next weekend.

So it's going to be ok for hundreds and hundreds of people on beaches and boardwalks but we can't exercise at the gym? Doesn't make sense but it's not a money maker.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Both are dip shits, Murphy wants all beaches and boardwalks open by memorial day and he's said it multiple times, businesses are hurting down here and he's feeling the pressure.

Wildwood NJ beaches and boardwalks already opened this weekend, Cape may by next weekend.

So it's going to be ok for hundreds and hundreds of people on beaches and boardwalks but we can't exercise at the gym? Doesn't make sense but it's not a money maker.
I just moved back up here from Florida last week and it’s exactly the same there. You can go on the beach but not to the gym.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I just moved back up here from Florida last week and it’s exactly the same there. You can go on the beach but not to the gym.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In New York City itself, I was just reading about the spring/summer contact tracing plans along with the goal of testing 20,000 New Yorkers per day by May 25th. The goal being to warn people when they might’ve been exposed to COVID-19.
  • City councilman Mark Levine told Business Insider that such a system is essential to reopening the city, "because otherwise you can't really have confidence that people you see around you in public aren't contagious."

While it’s a nice theory, they seem to be overlooking the ~5 day incubation period. In which time, a person can transmit the virus before they may or may not be symptomatic, and may or may not receive an accurate test result. Seems like a highly flawed and tedious system that will just scratch the surface.

I suppose they have to start somewhere though under the notion of game plan. If the reopening process proceeds without overwhelming the healthcare system, it will be considered a success. Although things have calmed down currently in NYC hospitals, the healthcare staff are still mentally and physically overwhelmed on a daily basis.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I live in Upstate NY but go on vacation every August for a week to Wildwood. I always end up at Atilis Gym. The owner is a guy I really like, has had the cops show up and see if he was letting anybody in the gym. He’s had enough of it and I don’t blame him.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So how it’s working in NY is King Cuomo requires each designated region in the state to reach 7 requirements to pass a phase of reopening. But these metrics are really only created by the King Cuomo himself. We are so far from reopening it’s ridiculous. The guy loves the power and the attention. I don’t expect gyms to open anytime before July 1 and that’s being optimistic

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
As far as gyms vs beaches, the difference is quite clear.

It’s going to take meticulous cleaning guidelines and other precautions to even make it possible for gyms to be considered “safe.”

At the beach, it’s much easier to social distance (enforced if needed) and stay within your own small network of people. The open air also has huge advantages, and no sanitization measures have to take place when you leave..

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wait, do some of y’all really think gyms will carry less coronavirus germs than beaches and even boardwalks?
I just don’t honestly see any big box gyms opening in the near future, around here at least. I’ve pretty much accepted that.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As far as gyms vs beaches, the difference is quite clear.

It’s going to take meticulous cleaning guidelines and other precautions to even make it possible for gyms to be considered “safe.”

At the beach, it’s much easier to social distance (enforced if needed) and stay within your own small network of people. The open air also has huge advantages, and no sanitization measures have to take place when you leave..
Exactly.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just don’t honestly see any big box gyms opening in the near future, around here at least. I’ve pretty much accepted that.
Yeah, my gyms thought they were opening next Friday in VA...turns out gyms aren’t part of Phase 1 reopening which I’m surprised anyone thought they were... 🤔

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, my gyms thought they were opening next Friday in VA...turns out gyms aren’t part of Phase 1 reopening which I’m surprised anyone thought they were...
Well Trump suggested gyms would be in Phase 1 of reopening. So I’m not surprised some people thought they would be. But as we know, this falls on the governor of each state.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well Trump suggested gyms would be in Phase 1 of reopening. So I’m not surprised some people thought they would be. But as we know, this falls on the governor of each state.
That’s true. At some point, I’m pretty sure they were phase 3 and were bumped to phase 1 though.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
He’s such an authority on gyms. The man is on record about life force diminishing from exercise. Lol.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Gyms are barely even mentioned in the UK but when they are it’s normally alongside pubs and restaurants (indoor)......there is even talk those places could be early 2021 in the UK so I ain’t holding my breathe I’ll be reopening the gym anytime soon tbh

Richie Rich

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I live in Upstate NY but go on vacation every August for a week to Wildwood. I always end up at Atilis Gym. The owner is a guy I really like, has had the cops show up and see if he was letting anybody in the gym. He’s had enough of it and I don’t blame him.
I go every August also bro. I always get my 2 week pass and go. Chris the owner is a great human being. I love that gym. He's the ultimate gym bro.

Richie Rich

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I go every August also bro. I always get my 2 week pass and go. Chris the owner is a great human being. I love that gym. He's the ultimate gym bro.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
wow-what I difference a day makes-eh? yesterday I was at walmart and around half of people I saw there weren't wearing masks...today my daughter was there and tells me everyone she saw there was wearing masks.

I was very pleasantly surprised to hear this!!!

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
wow-what I difference a day makes-eh? yesterday I was at walmart and around half of people I saw there weren't wearing masks...today my daughter was there and tells me everyone she saw there was wearing masks.

I was very pleasantly surprised to hear this!!!
It’s gonna be interesting to see what’s determined in 10 years after the dust settles, the research comes out and we have the benefit of hindsight. I’m sure much of the best advice we’re being given will turn out to be counterproductive. Just as an example, they told people to pour peroxide on wounds for decades. Cut your finger? Dump peroxide on it! Turns out, after research and study, that’s about the worst thing you can do. Point being, I’m already seeing it suggested that the mask thing is bogus. The virus particle is too small for most masks to catch and the cloth masks, after youre breathing on it simply provides a warm moist environment for the virus to live on. I get it, all we can do is follow the advice the experts give us, but I’ve gotta believe that no matter how well intentioned it is so much of it will turn out to be wrong. It’s just like making foodservice workers wear gloves. Gloves don’t inherently make things any safer. If they’re not being changed after literally every time they touch something- and they’re not- then it’s no different than bare hands, and their potential for cross contact and such.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
land ultimately, the gym can open well after it’s allowed, and when they feel secure in doing so. Technically, gyms are allowed to reopen here in GA but LA fitness has yet to do so.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It’s gonna be interesting to see what’s determined in 10 years after the dust settles, the research comes out and we have the benefit of hindsight. I’m sure much of the best advice we’re being given will turn out to be counterproductive. Just as an example, they told people to pour peroxide on wounds for decades. Cut your finger? Dump peroxide on it! Turns out, after research and study, that’s about the worst thing you can do. Point being, I’m already seeing it suggested that the mask thing is bogus. The virus particle is too small for most masks to catch and the cloth masks, after youre breathing on it simply provides a warm moist environment for the virus to live on. I get it, all we can do is follow the advice the experts give us, but I’ve gotta believe that no matter how well intentioned it is so much of it will turn out to be wrong. It’s just like making foodservice workers wear gloves. Gloves don’t inherently make things any safer. If they’re not being changed after literally every time they touch something- and they’re not- then it’s no different than bare hands, and their potential for cross contact and such.
masks have been used in hospitals, doctor offices for well over 10 years. they aren't about protecting the wearer they protect others from the wearer. if everyone is wearing a mask there is much less chance of disease spreading.

Last edited:
Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Masks can be debatable, and they have been. I know many of the people out and about in the general public are not using fresh masks every time, or every day for that matter. I suspect a majority are also not washing or sanitizing their hands every time they apply or remove it. If such a person happens to be infected and wearing a non N95 mask, the velocity of the viral droplets would still be much more contained and less likely to infect others. All of our COVID rule outs in the hospital must wear a surgical mask, particularly when placed in a non-negative pressure room.

In regard to COVID protection, gloves definitely offer a false sense of security and the general public are better off just washing/sanitizing their hands- which must be done anyway when taking gloves off. They are mostly just valuable to healthcare workers as a physical barrier to bodily fluids and secretions etc.

While our volume of confirmed COVID pt’s is currently down to zero due to the stay at home orders etc. I remain quite impressed/surprised that we only have one confirmation of a hospital employee contracting the virus. We obviously have to wear surgical masks at all times throughout the hospital.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Masks can be debatable, and they have been. I know many of the people out and about in the general public are not using fresh masks every time, or every day for that matter. I suspect a majority are also not washing or sanitizing their hands every time they apply or remove it. If such a person happens to be infected and wearing a non N95 mask, the velocity of the viral droplets would still be much more contained and less likely to infect others. All of our COVID rule outs in the hospital must wear a surgical mask, particularly when placed in a non-negative pressure room.

In regard to COVID protection, gloves definitely offer a false sense of security and the general public are better off just washing/sanitizing their hands- which must be done anyway when taking gloves off. They are mostly just valuable to healthcare workers as a physical barrier to bodily fluids and secretions etc.

While our volume of confirmed COVID pt’s is currently down to zero due to the stay at home orders etc. I remain quite impressed/surprised that we only have one confirmation of a hospital employee contracting the virus. We obviously have to wear surgical masks at all times throughout the hospital.
you pretty much just affirmed what I have been saying about masks..they are more for the benefit of those around the wearer than for the wearer, particularly where a person may be infected and not be showing any symptoms but still contagious.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Barn1234

Barn1234

Awards
Gyms are barely even mentioned in the UK but when they are it’s normally alongside pubs and restaurants (indoor)......there is even talk those places could be early 2021 in the UK so I ain’t holding my breathe I’ll be reopening the gym anytime soon tbh
Yeah, I was waiting for Boris to mention gyms last night in his ambiguous message. Apparently its now okay to go play footie in the park with my nan but nothing yet about training. Have a suspicion that it'll be a "book a time slot to train" job once the gyms do open here

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just in case anyone missed this:

China Asked WHO To Delay Pandemic Announcement, Deny Human-To-Human Transmission: German Intelligence

Just in case anybody was still questioning why Trump would cut off WHO funding :)
No sale.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah, I was waiting for Boris to mention gyms last night in his ambiguous message. Apparently its now okay to go play footie in the park with my nan but nothing yet about training. Have a suspicion that it'll be a "book a time slot to train" job once the gyms do open here
yeah I think we are lumped in with hairdressers etc tbh mate. 4th July is the absolute earliest it seems but depending on what restrictions are put on it depends on how many open I think. The bigger chains might be able to plexiglass everything up but the smaller guys might struggle. My places are higher priced more specialist so we naturally have more space per member but whether that gets taken into account remains to be seen.

honestly I’m expecting August.....