Anyone ever worked for a cruise line?

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I got this wild idea today and it is wild.......After school is out in May, and seeing as I have to have surgery on my knee, and making sure mom is ok ( heart issues) I was thinking of applying to work on a cruise ship for the summer? As a bartender.....Anyone ever done it and if so how was it? I had been considering if before, but put it on hold and now i think is the time......

Thanks for any input

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No but I'm with you it sounds like fun. And a great way to just get away.

C

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
somehow that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all to me.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I worked with a crazy ex-stripper who did it and she said it was a crazy lifestyle. Be prepared for tons of flirtation. She also said there are a ton of shady people there, and that it gets really annoying to have to be working when it is beautiful outside, etc. Sorry to be a downer, but that is the only experience I know of. The good news is you should make tons of money while spending almost nothing. Ch-chinggggg!!!!!

Elizzard

Elizzard

Awards
I had a friend who worked for Carnival and he LOVED it! You live rent free, free food, free travel experiance, surrounded by happy people enjoying their vacation....only down side is you do work a lot (BUT you BANK a lot)!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I heard about a people working on a ship like that in the kitchen. They said it was really stressfull, and there was a lot of cokeheads working in the kitchen. They would have to snort the stuff just to keep up. So I guess I am in-line with the poster about a lot of shady characters work on those ships...

C

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would go for it.
I've heard it can be stressful, but what do you have to lose!
Plus you'd get away for awhile and experience something brand new.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Haven't kept up w/ cruise-line news lately, but with the rash of people getting sick last year, I'd be wary. I went on a cruise w/ my fam in '02, it was a ton of fun, but that was before whole ships started getting sick.

F

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
nope but I am going on one in June