Advice Welcome (ANOTHER MOTORCYCLE THREAD!)

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
I've been contemplating getting a motorcycle for some time now, I am about 5 11 and good size (ripped at 225) I want something sporty for a 21 year old, yet has some power behind it and is confortable enough to cruise around in, I am devided between a herley davision, and a BMW>
I like the sporty HD from T3 and the sporty looking BMWs, though i haven't ever rid so i don't know what i'd prefer as far as comfort?

Big thanks and reps for advice?

Dr liftalot

tattoopierced1

honda sport bikes are very comfortable imo. suzuki's are good too.

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
i love my 600rr and wouldn't trade it for anything. now if i had some extra money to throw around, i'd pick up a bmw gs series. i just love those bikes, ergo's are freakin' amazing. great ride and handling as well.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
can you post pictures of your bikes, or similar ones...

Oddly enough doing a google search for the bikes you guys have listed and i see alot of similar looking bikes but all appear slightly diffrent(perhaps same model but modified)

Thanks for the posts!

dagecko

dagecko

Awards
  • Established
I've been contemplating getting a motorcycle for some time now, I am about 5 11 and good size (ripped at 225) I want something sporty for a 21 year old, yet has some power behind it and is confortable enough to cruise around in, I am devided between a herley davision, and a BMW>
I like the sporty HD from T3 and the sporty looking BMWs, though i haven't ever rid so i don't know what i'd prefer as far as comfort?

Big thanks and reps for advice?

Dr liftalot
Okay, are you intersted in uniqueness or don't mind being a cookie cutter?

If you're looking for exotic, look up Aprilia Tuono, it's a 1000cc twin with good torque, a sporty but yet comfy riding position and is European so it has flair to it of course there is a higher price to all that. Ducati is also nice and has that Italian persona like ferrari attached to it. Ducati Monster maybe?

If exotica isn't important and you want something that has decent power and a comfy but yet semi-sporty riding position, I would recommend a Yamaha FZ1 or maybe a Kawasaki Z1000. At your weight a 600cc may not cut it...what's your riding experience anyway?

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
I'm afraid i've never ridin, but for a long time now my intrest in motorcycles has gone up, I defintly thought BMW box(sport versions were cool) and the bikes i've looked up that you guys have posted look savage as well. Also a cool chopper or the HD from T3 the movie was savage.

I have around 3-7k to spend on something that looks sporty and is comfortable. Your advice is greatly welcome as i have 0 friends with bikes and all the google info is directed me to buying one brand or the other based not on feedback but out of paydays for the websites*

Thanks for the help again
Dr liftalot

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Beemers have horizontally opposed engine so that vbration and noise are minimized. They are well engineered and dependable, but pricey.

Harleys are for dentists...so they can also be bad-ass.

Japanese bikes are what I like. I have a kawasaki eliminator 900 , similar performance to the ninja, but made for cruising. I also have an old 84 hond cb 650 nighthawk. I also have an 83 yamaha 350 rd (2 stroke).

Go to a dealership and sit on as many bikes as you can. Each persons geometry is different and what is comfy to me might not work for you. Find "your" bike and perhaps get an older model.

Based on ignorance and superstition i would recomend a honda 919 they are affordable, powerful, but still manageable as it is basicaly a 900 squeezed into a 600 frame.

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards
my 2005 yamaha r6 n me, right after i got it. about 4 months before it was stolen from me :( amazing bike, amazing comfort, fast and one of the hottest looking 600cc bikes around in my opinion.

ahh **** im gona cry now.

another pic of my large friend testing out the springs.

ahhh im really gona cry now :aargh:

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Last night I bought my first bike :)
Honda CBR 600 F4.
I am so excited!!!!!

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
$3-7K is not going to buy much in a new bike. Especially if you are looking at H-D & BMW. If you have never ridden before look around for a class get your license. Then look for a place that has rentals and go the different shops in your area and see what they have new & used. take it out for a ride see how it feels. You can't take trial reide for super long distances but you can get a feel for how it sits, how the controls are etc. Rentals you can do just like cars give it a long ride.

I used to ride 650s and 750s when they were considered a large bike (in the old days...LOL). Sounds like you need to look at the Sport touring catagory not Cruisers or Sport bikes.

Good luck

dagecko

dagecko

Awards
  • Established
Congrats on your new ride! Ride safe and don't forget a helmet...

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Congrats on your new ride! Ride safe and don't forget a helmet...
Yes Mother ;)

Actually I can't believe how much money I spend just on equipment alone, with a new helmet, jacket, gloves and boots, I pretty much spend most of my paycheck.
Best to be safe though :)

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
Congrats on the new ride karate girl, what year is it, the crew i was in at southern IL everyone had a 600 double r.

You need all your gear, the group I rode with are track day nuts, so whenever we would go out it was like motogp. Gloves helmet a good jacket and good pants and shoes are really important.

For your first bike I wouldn't recommend anything really nice, you should build your way up and max out the bikes potential before moving up to a newer bike, because new bikes are so light and quick that you can get into trouble before you know how to get out of it.

I bought a 1987 Yamahe FZ700 for 400 bucks, dropped about 1k into it with new tires and paint and tons of other stuff. Not trying to sell you mine but it would be a great starter bike. Get something that won't break your bank if it falls over once.

Don't start off with a nice new powerfull 600 or thousand your sortof asking for trouble imop.

And when it comes to performance and handling you can't beat a japanese bike, but if u wanta a little extra down the line get a duke as it's frames are hand built compared to the japanese are machine built . The duke can out handle supposdly most jap bikes I haven't riding one or been past by one so I don't know yet.

Start off with a early 90's bike for 2-3 k and work on from there, a lot of people by a new bike only put on a couple thousand miles and then garage it because it scares the **** out of them.

Good luck and be safe and smart.

Attachments

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Here is a reply that is sure to get me bashed. If you've never ridden before, buy a relatively inexpensive dual sport bike. Something in the 250cc to 400cc range. You can get tremedous experience riding that on the street (and some dirt - if you prefer). I had enduro/motocross bikes for years prior to getting my Suzuki GS850 (since sold - GREAT bike).

Once you feel that you can handle a smaller bike, moving up is easier. You can throw lighter bikes around and really get the feel for them. One of the Directors that works for me jumped right into a Honda sport bike that was really too much power for him, and was really intimidated for a long, long time (he may still be).

It is like learning to shoot. Like guns, where a smaller caliber allows you to cut your teeth prior to moving up, a smaller bike is less likely to get you in trouble right away.

You can always sell a good 250 - 400 cc dual sport bike; probably for close to what you paid for it.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The people I am going to ride with said they want nothing to do with me if I get anything lower than a 400.
My plan was to start out on a Ninja 250, they kind of threw that idea out pretty quickly.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The people I am going to ride with said they want nothing to do with me if I get anything lower than a 400.
My plan was to start out on a Ninja 250, they kind of threw that idea out pretty quickly.
I wasn't trying to be a jerk, and my (well intended) comments were really more generally intended for Dr Liftalot.

Regarding your bike, unless I was going to build a bobber (in which case I would look for something like a Yamaha Twin 650 and "cut it up"; and they have been out of production for some time) - I would buy the CBR 600.

That is a GREAT bike.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
Just curious...not a bike guy myself....but has anyone used one of these? Found it looking for a headset for my cell phone.

Bluetooth® headset is a great solution to a real need: Now motorcyclists too can benefit from wireless handsfree communication without compromising security or comfort, thus opening a whole new realm for cellular use. The scala-rider is a truly innovative, unique and immensely feature rich tool, providing safe and convenient cellular communication for motorcycle riders.

Grounded

Awards
OK, I'll post a photo of my track bike, a ZX6R.IMG_0004.JPG

Now you get to see why my name is Grounded.IMG_0656.JPG

Last fall I low-sided on turn 3 at Blackhawk, a high speed 180 right hander. I bought the bike specifically for track riding but licensed it for street. For me it was not good on the street. It's now in Sharkskins for track use only. I live for track days, diving and skiing.

My street bike is a classic BMW that I bought new in 1978, an R100S. It's cherry and I commute on it regularly when the weather is decent. Sure I've replaced suspension items, head bearings, etc. through the years but it flat out hauls and handles as good today as it did in 1978 and you can still get factory parts! I've never taken it onto a track; I'm not that stupid. Of the hundreds of photos on my computer I don't have one of the BMW. I'll have to fix that.

I have owned many bikes. For street you cannot go wrong with a BMW.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have been riding my new bike all weekend and it rocks!
I actually brought it to work today and OMG rush hour traffic is a whole new ball game.
Here she is :)

Grounded

Awards
YES!

Look at those guys hanging out in the picture eating their hearts out. I'll bet you look great riding it. Picture please.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I have been riding my new bike all weekend and it rocks!
I actually brought it to work today and OMG rush hour traffic is a whole new ball game.
Here she is :)
Congrats, glad you're liking the traffic :D

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I will try to get a picture up this weekend.
KG