Abroad and struggling to hit macros

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’m 22, 5’8, 155 lbs, ~11% bf and currently recomping. My target atm is to be around 8-9% bf by June whilst gaining strength until then.
Maintenance for me is 2000-2250 kcal depending on who you ask. Whilst aiming to be consuming a 500 kcal deficit 5 day’s a week and maintenance or maintenance+500 two days a week.
So on deficit days my macro target is p200 c50 f50 . The usual plan is to start eating after my workout and to only have low glycemic meals within 3hours of going to sleep. However, I’m currently abroad on a business trip and will spend 2 week’s visiting family afterwards, and the irregular schedule is making hitting my macros, especially protein, difficult. Recently, I’ve often only managed to get 3 meals in and as any meals within 3hours of going to sleep are low glycemic, I haven’t been hitting p150(-50) c100(+50) f50 either. So on those days I get around p150 c50-75 f50 1250-1350kcal/day

Is this a bad situation for recomping? I’ve been working out 3-4 times a week. If you were in my position what would you do to boost your progress?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
First things first - if your goal is to diet to sub 10% bodyfat, you will not be gaining any strength unless you are very new to lifting. 11% is already very lean, and naturally our bodies will fight every step of the way as we attempt to get leaner, especially sub 10%. Be realistic with your goals - maintaining the strength you have will be challenging enough, and gaining strength with be next to impossible. I would focus on keeping as much strength as possible, but don't get frustrated if you aren't getting stronger.

Regarding macros, if you're maintenance is ~2200 calories, eating at a 1000 calorie deficit will not be the best strategy for a recomp. At 155lbs I wouldn't stress hitting 200g of protein, 1g per pound should be sufficient if you're getting enough calories. If I were you, I would pick a goal and stick to it. If 8-9% is truly your goal, first as yourself why (because that is a bit extreme IMO), and then set yourself up to hit it. Being shredded is fun, but strength will decline and you won't feel great. I would opt to stay at your current body fat and put on some quality lean mass.

11%bf is leaner than 95% of the population, so don't sweat trying to get shredded if you also want to gain weight and strength. If your ultimate goal is aesthetics, getting bigger/stronger and getting to 165lbs @ 12%bf would make you look way better than 145lbs @ 8%bf IMO.