2 week all inclusive holiday + 0 training (35 yr old)

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I haven't long returned from an all inclusive holiday. I ate garbage and didn't train. I go with friends with no interest in training so i tend to just stay away from the gym. Also late nights + alcohol = dreadful next mornings

What i have noticed though. My body composition has changed so bad Gained a ton of fat around the midsection. Lost a lot of mass especially on my chest and arms. Though the weird thing is my weight is slightly less than when i set off? My face has drawn in a lot. I've never seen my body change so bad so quick. It's actually put a dampener on things as i was very happy with my physique. Suppose i shouldn't have been an idiot and just ate and drank like trash. Though. The holiday was awesome so i honestly can't complain.

Is this just father time? I use to do lad holidays and always semi retained my physique. It's the mid section fat mass I am not use to! I had a set of abs before i set off and now it's just a blur.

Do you think my mass and body composition will return over a period of time if i get back on track? I have been eating perfect again and training has been added back in but it's not hard going. My body still feels very out of sorts.

I'm on TRT and have slightly bumped my dose to bring my test back up to the higher end.

Just wondered if this is just an age aspect? If so I would rather do some form of training on holiday and eat better. They had plenty healthier choices at the meals so i can't say i couldn't have made choices.

Any advice guys?

Thanks

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have never had a vacation like that. The longest I can go without working out is a week. After that, I just feel gross. If Im eating out a lot on vacation, I feel gross after about 4-5 days and then I have to workout. Whatever happened to your body, I'd just take it as a lessoned learned. Obviously your body isnt as resilient as you age. Good luck getting back to where you were. You'll get there if you want it enough. If you had fun and made great memories, then it was worth it. You dont want to regret not having a great time with your friends. You've got several months until its tank top weather again. FYI Im 40.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I mean... whatever the age you really didn’t help your case at all lol 2 weeks off training and off diet will surely mess someone’s physique.

CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I doubt you lost as much true mass and gained that much true fat in 2 weeks. Once you get blood pumping back into your muscles, start eating clean, get rehydrated and back on track I'd think in 2 or 3 weeks you should be back to your old self. Probably going to continue feel a little sh%ty for awhile though, and will just have to push through that.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As someone on TRT, often takes 2 week vacations and throws caution to the wind with diet, I can almost assure you that this is mainly due to all the excess sodium and water retention from a physical aspect. All the drinking and eating is increasing your cortisol and likely e2 levels, plus the salt in the crap food adds on.

Nowadays, I make a point to get in some physical activity everyday on vacation- usually avoiding the gym if possible. Running the beach, hiking out in the local environment, playing any sports available where I am at, etc.. That helps the other bad areas a little bit, but mainly the mind.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol@2 weeks. I’ve taken months off and body comes back pretty fast even then. The two weeks may actually help you. Rest ever once in a while is a good thing. Either way no way your body actually changed much in two weeks.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have never had a vacation like that. The longest I can go without working out is a week. After that, I just feel gross. If Im eating out a lot on vacation, I feel gross after about 4-5 days and then I have to workout. Whatever happened to your body, I'd just take it as a lessoned learned. Obviously your body isnt as resilient as you age. Good luck getting back to where you were. You'll get there if you want it enough. If you had fun and made great memories, then it was worth it. You dont want to regret not having a great time with your friends. You've got several months until its tank top weather again. FYI Im 40.
Even on a family holiday? I would love to but i feel bad as none of my mates understand the gym and fitness. That's fine though. We're all different.

My body has flushed a ton of the water and my body is starting to re-appear. Thank god! Though. I 100% done damage. I've managed 3 workouts since returning so it's filled all my glycogen stores again and i feel about 90% prior holiday.

How long you been training dude?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol@2 weeks. I’ve taken months off and body comes back pretty fast even then. The two weeks may actually help you. Rest ever once in a while is a good thing. Either way no way your body actually changed much in two weeks.
Honestly dude it did. I know my body very well. My body has flushed a lot of water now and looks much better.

Yeh sometimes a rest can actually stimulate more muscle growth. 2 years ago i went through a bad period (Mum had cancer). I never worked out for 2+ months. I never ate much either though. I got back into it and noticed a massive bump in growth. Almost felt like noobie gains again.

I have trained 3 times (Full body workouts is my split) I have noticed everything falling back into shape.

My stomach area pinch was 6mm before the holiday and then 14mm after. That's why i freaked. It's now back down to 9mm. I'm not eating in a deficit though. I stay around maintenance? 100-200 calories above some days. I don't believe in the starving yourself concept for getting normal again. I work a very physical job and refuse to feel like death during my job due to a calorie deficit.

Thanks bud

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mean... whatever the age you really didn’t help your case at all lol 2 weeks off training and off diet will surely mess someone’s physique.
It was a holiday bud. I haven't had a break for 2 years. None of my friends train so i tend not to go to a gym on holiday.

My body is changing back very quickly. Thank god. I've put hundreds of hours into training. I use to be 17 stone @ 5ft 10. I have this mental fear of getting fat again. I was miserable when i was so heavy. I never want to be their again.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t think it’s an age thing at all…You just drastically changed your lifestyle and habits for 2 weeks, and not positively, so what happened was bound to happen…

I’m sure you’ll bounce back within a month or so…I figure 2 weeks of damage takes at least 2-3 weeks to undo and to start making progress.

Overall, I’d say take this as a lesson, to not lose all control next time…Man I wish I could have 2 weeks, to “all inclusively, holiday.”

Personally, I’d completely ‘overtrain/work my ass off” leading up to it, so I could take advantage of the 2 weeks recovery…Eat as big/clean as possible, and stay active on the trip with whatever hotel weight room they have…And try to get as much vacation ASS as possible And for me that means, to keep my physique in tact

(Your friends and family should be able to understand, that out of 2 weeks, you need 6 hrs to hit the gym. That works out to 3 workouts a week, for an hour…Not a big deal in the scheme of things, and time apart is good!)

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'd increase fiber and water intake and would be lbs drop pretty fast. I'm guessing you held a lot of water weight. I can grab an easy 6lbs of water weight over a bad weekend. a dinner of Pho can cause 3-5lbs to stick to me for a couple days. a week or two of being at this your metabolism will fight a lot of it but you can undo that damage pretty quick. I'm 39 and prepping for a vacation to Mexico in Feb. My goal is to head on vacation about 2-3lbs BELOW my ideal target weight. and then let loose and enjoy life. although my wife and I move from 80/20 to more like 50/50 when we vacation.

we will still have our normal breakfast every day. very clean, usually eggs. We will try to get SOME exercise in. if I have a week at a resort, I'll probably hit their gym 3 times. We split most meals, knowing that vacation meals are double the calories anyways and that we will have alcohol.

at 39 I don't think my metabolism has honestly slowed that much yet. My T levels are also plenty high I'm sure. not tested, but the 'signs' of high T are there. However my output is lower since I lift 3 x per week rather than 10 to 12x's per week.