1 day pigging out okay during cutting?

D

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I was wondering if eating at a buffet for one day will negate the 3 weeks it took for me (or anyone for that matter) to lose a few pounds of fat? IF it does, and i gain back all the weight and then some, would the returning weight gain be less severe if I jogged for 1 and a half hours after eating the buffet in order to burn as much calories I just ate, and I still continue on with the cutting cycle as if my body didn't know i pigged out?

And one more crazy question! What if i tried to make up for the pigging out day by only drinking protein drinks the next day, and then resume normal diet afterwards?

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Why do you have to pig out at a buffet? Sure you can just eat what you like but there's no need to go over the top is there?

I don't think only drinking protein shakes the net day will do you much good.

N

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Fat loss occurs over long periods of time, so all that a big cheat day will do is stall you out for 3-4 days of fatloss. That being said, everyone's tolerance to cheat days/meals is different, and that stall might be enough to stall you out if you decide to cheat again within a short period of time. If you must cheat at the buffet, just keep it low fat, high carb/protein, and see what it does to your fat loss. I would take it easy on the buffet tho bro... Like Ziri said above, no reason to go hog ass wild and pig out.

Btw, the protein shakes only won't do anything for your goals the next day.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are dieting and feel the need to cheat, keep it small and contained to minimize the damage.

G

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
depends on how low your bf is .. if you are above 10% don't bother it will hinder you .. if you are below go for it .. refeeds are necessary

for reference i'm about 10% bf in my avatar

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I just went somewhat crazy at a great chinese buffet on my b-day on wensday. Ate more crab legs, crawfish, sushi then I could imagine. But all those things aren't so bad. I checked the scale the next day and I didn't even gain an entire pound. Have controlled cheat as don't eat the fried noodles and dumplings try to eat proteins sortof meet half way.

And I did cardio the next day and I was more trim then the day before, you gotta cheat to keep your system open to a variety of food, besides all the clean stuff we eat.

You think your eating a ton, but I bet my bottom dollar all of us that are exercising and eating clean don't eat as much as we think we did, our stomachs shrink.

My 2 cents, I say enjoy it, weight loss is a marathon, you can't sprint the whole time and eat 1000 calories a day, but you can walk once in a while to catch your breath and have a 2000 calorie great meal.

And the protein shake Idea..... not seeing the effects, try it out and let us know, you might find something that works for you.

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, unless you're training for a competition that's 6 weeks or less away, I say go for it man. It's good to carb up every once in awhile on a cut. It keeps your body guessing. This should be a very rare thing though... Some people endorse doing that every week, but I don't think they truly understand what folks mean when they say they're going to the chinese buffet to pig out. Heh, me on the other hand... I understand completely! lol Good luck man.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everybody deserves a reward for the hard work they do. If your psychologically sounds i.e. won't fall off the diet band wagon as most people tend to do after a cheat, then I say go for it. Being strict to the point of being to strict can have it's draw backs, it's all about balance.

D

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
HEY thanks for the reply guys. Well the thing is, I got vacation time coming up and I don't wanna go anywhere really. Plus I like to stay close to home so I can work out and watch what I eat and stuff. But I figure one day of gorging on some ribs, orange chicken, and other tasty treats would totally make me happy for a looong time! Oh yeah, to Glenihan, man, i definitely don't have 10% bf like you bro. I can pinch a few inches of belly flab. Yikes. Anyway guys, I'll try to work it off. I'll walk around the lake like a mad man. That's what vacation's for!

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
lol Well, I cracked after reading all of these cheat threads. Here's what I did... 3 pieces of fajita pizza, half bag of chocolate chips, about 3-4 cups of spaghetti, 6 graham crackers, 32oz. or so of skim milk, a protein smoothie, a multi-grain bar, and a diet wild cherry pepsi that I found buried deep in my fridge. lol Yeah man, way to cut Clark! I don't feel like it's gonna matter too much. Not the one night anyway. I'm usually very driven with my diet. I'll get up and run 6 or 7 miles in the morning. No biggie. It sure was nice to do that though. I'm real full! Ha, there's no better feeling. But, now it's back to the cut. 4% bodyfat here I come!

D

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
hey Clark, are you gonna eat before you do your 6-7 mile morning run??:pose:

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Nope. I'll run it on an empty stomach. Well, as empty as it can be after shoveling all of this food in. Typically, in the morning right after waking up I'll run 30-60 minutes on the road at an easy pace and then run 30-60 minutes on a treadmill later on after my lifting session. I do this 5 days a week, and then on the 6th day I'll typically run a bit further. Usually until I feel tapped. This is only when I'm cutting though. I really don't do any cardio worth talking about when I'm bulking. Heh, but after my debauchery this evening, I'll be running extra far in the am. Why do you ask?

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
for some it's a new idea to do the cardio on empty, or seeing how it works. I never really thought of doing empty stomach cardio when I wake up, but i saw it here and tried it out, i enjoy the results. And it makes the breakfest shake taste like dessert.

You had a pretty good pig out session there clark, I can't point fingers as I was eating finger food, crackers, cheese, and to much alcohol last night, but every time I do something like that it makes me work harder the next week, even after all the crap I took in I didn't gain a pound, seems like my body just blast through whatever I put in.

Every cheat for me is the opposite of getting on the junk food bandwagon. Just like ralph from simspons " I earned my treat" or was it his father....... Yeah for all the hard work we do, enjoy yourself once in a while, and I can recommend following it up the next day with a good amount of cardio and you'll be in good shape.

D

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
I noticed that when i wake up, my tank's running on empty. it's just uncomfortable to do anything without eating first, especially if it's going out for a 30 minute run. some days i want to have fun working out and other days it seems like a chore. i never get a break!

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Heh, the trick is to just do it. Somedays you won't want to, and some days you can't wait to. That'll never change. Neither should your schedule.

D

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
That's right, I gotta do it man. If i want it bad enough i'd have to be willing to sacrifice my own kid for it. hmm.. Adoption!!

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Well, it should be a priority. I dunno about givin' up your young for it or anything. But, good attitude anyway! lol

C

craigblitz

Awards
So far I have lost 50 lbs from my heaviest and the cheat meals have helped me a lot mentally. When I first started I would have a cheat day. And the damage was crazy. Then after weight loss slowed a little I chnaged it to havving 3 cheat meals a week. Again when that slowed I changed it to two cheat meals a week. So far this seems to be working. I have also noticed my cheats are not nearly as bad or as large. Even when I cheat I look for ways to control the damage. Before I could EASILY scarve down a large Pizza and a dozen chicekn wings. Now I will have 3 slices and a grilled chicken salad.

Some consider it weak, and I agree with them a little but it keeps me going and I am reaching all my goal points.

Good luck

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I can't do pre-breakfast cardio unless I'm steps away from a toilet for whatever reason (so jogging is pretty much out).

I agree with Craig. If a cheat here and there makes you sane - then do it.
I've done the strict diet for long periods of time and have found that when I do cheat after that, it catches up with me and I do it for 2-3 days straight. But, if I have one to 3 cheat meals per week - I'm not binging for a week solid.

D

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
I think i will incorporate multiple cheat meals sometime down the road, as long as it makes me happy. mmh butterfingers and snickers !!!! I liken the cheat meal to working out. if the workout isn't fun and comes to the point where I'm in agony on my 4th rep of leg extensions, I gotta scale back and do it comfortably at the cost of getting developed and huge. i got a lifetime to do that, though!

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Heh, not me. I carb up once a week (on the cut) but that's on potatoes and oatmeal. Some cheat day huh? lol Once in a very blue moon though I've been known to get a major case of the munchies and binge out. But, it's extremely rare. Gotta love those days though :D.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Some folks are like that. Only get very rare cravings.

Me - ha. Like daily almost.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
It's fine, especially during football season :D

I'll use my Sundays to eat some pizza and and pound a sixpack of Heineken with my friends. Just don't go hog-wild and eat for that day as if you're participating in a hot dog eating contest LOL

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
lol I'm in a constant state of craving. If I were to give in to it... Well, it wouldn't be pretty. lol It shocks me that when I let myself go I was only at 31% bodyfat. I just eat like there's no tomorrow, whatever I want whenever I want. It's pretty terrible. Heh, but I've got a handle on it I guess.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Some folks are like that. Only get very rare cravings.

Me - ha. Like daily almost.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
lol I'm in a constant state of craving. If I were to give in to it... Well, it wouldn't be pretty. lol It shocks me that when I let myself go I was only at 31% bodyfat. I just eat like there's no tomorrow, whatever I want whenever I want. It's pretty terrible. Heh, but I've got a handle on it I guess.
Have you tried adding foods to your diet that aid in satiey ? I'd recommend broccoli and oats.

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Heh, yeah I eat both. I have my diet posted on here somewhere or other. It's pretty good. Aww heck, I'll post it again. Here it is on the build:

Meal 1:

2 scoops of whey protein in 16oz. Of skim milk
3 eggs cooked
2 cups of oatmeal (cooked)

Meal 2:

1 South Beach Diet Meal Replacement Bar

Meal 3:

4oz. Chicken breast, or 4oz. Turkey breast
4 pieces of 100% whole wheat bread
1 cup of cooked brown rice

Meal 4:

1 large baked potato (plain)
¾ cup of fat-free cottage cheese

Meal 5 (Pre-workout):

2 scoops of whey protein in water (or meal replacement shake –more calories)

Meal 6:

8oz. Of Extra-lean ground beef
2 cups of cooked broccoli
2 large baked potatoes (plain)
4 pieces of white bread

Meal 7 (Before bed):

2 scoops of whey protein in water
1 cup of oatmeal (cooked)
1 banana

And on the cut:

Meal 1:

1 scoop of whey protein in 8oz. Of skim milk
1 egg cooked

Meal 2:

1 South Beach Diet Meal Replacement Bar

Meal 3:

4oz. Turkey breast
1 piece of 100% whole wheat bread
1 cup of cooked brown rice

Meal 4:

1/2 cup of fat-free cottage cheese

Meal 5 (Pre-workout):

Meal 6:

4oz. Chicken Breast
1 cup of cooked broccoli
1 large baked potato (plain)
1 pieces of white bread

Meal 7 (Before bed):

1 banana

N

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Yo man, I am EXACTLY ****ing like that. Never been able to get myself to single digits because of it, but I'm almost there this time around and I'm positive I'll get to it. Nice to know there's someone else who constantly wants to eat everything in sight. I've never been able to maintain weight... because if I'm not running a diet, I'm pigging out and gaining weight. If I am running a diet, I'm cutting/bulking.

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
You can do it man. Just take it seriously. I'm at 7% bodyfat right now. I was 31% bodyfat as of January 10, 2006. It can happen pretty quick. Just attack it and don't stop.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I find if I eat healthy, I get really, really, really, really hungry after I get used to it.
It gets annoying.

Like every hour, the hunger starts.

But, a double cheeseburger will cure that quickly.

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
lol Blaspheme! A double-friggin'-cheeseburger... That actually sounds pretty good... lol NO! I haven't had a double cheeseburger this year. haha Maybe I'll get one the next time I decide to cheat.

N

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Yo Clark, I started at about 23% bodyfat in March and am at about 13% bodyfat now. Seeing as we have very similar menalities, think I can make it down to 7% by November? I have a hard time goin more than 9 days without some sort of cheat day/meal... I find it almost impossible, like I'm fighting against my body to lose weight because my mind plays tricks.

How often were your cheat days/meals/refeeds and how'd you keep them in check? 30%+ to 7 in half a year is nothing short of amazing bro.

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
What I did was a little crazy and I wouldn't really endorse it... But, here it is anyway. I ran everyday for an hour. I would run anywhere from 5 miles to 8 miles, and I did that for 5 days a week. On the 6th day, when I started to lean out, I would run anywhere from 10 miles to 12 miles. As far as my diet was concerned, I ate one plain grilled chicken salad a day, drank 1 to 2 gallons of spring water, and took a high potency multivitamin. I didn't cheat, ever. I was also taking Lipo-6. There was no weight training involved. I didn't have the energy. That lasted for two months, just on the grilled chicken salad and mild supplementation. I was down around 18-20% after that. At that point (well 2 1/2 months), I started to incorporate weights again. I would run for an hour prior to lifting, and then lift for at least an hour. This was 5 days a week with the long run still landing on the 6th day. At this point I was consistently running 8 miles an hour during the week, and sometimes even a little more. My diet changed as well. I started eating 4-6 meals a day instead of one feeling comfortable that I was lean enough to begin curbing my insanity. I still took in a very restricted amount of calories... About 1000 over 4-6 super clean meals. I was doing all sorts of weird things with bread and salsa. lol Anyway, that lasted for another 3 months, and then I crashed. I was on the treadmill one day, about mile 4 or 5 and I just crashed. I was more hungry than I've ever been in my entire life, just all of a sudden. Also, my energy went to 0. It was pretty wild. I stopped, had a meal replacement bar (which was totally against my religion at the time), and tried to go over and jump on the rest of my routine... That wasn't happening either. I think that I was on abs and made it through two exercises before I crashed again. At that point, I was 6% bodyfat and 168lbs. Next to nothing. So, I decided after that day (06/08/06) to go back on the build for the first time in a long time. So, as of 06/09/06 I was back on the build and it was awesome. I bulked up to 188lbs. @ just under 9% bodyfat. That was up until about two weeks ago when I started into a cut. Now, on the cut, I'm down to 184lbs. @ 7% bodyfat. I've just used the diets that I posted in this thread for my building and cutting, plus all sorts of supplementation. There's lots of good stuff out there right now if ya know what you're lookin' at. Anyway, I hope that helps. It sounds like you're on the right track, and have made some pretty good progress so far. Can you do it by November? I'd say so. Good luck man.

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Oh, cheat meals! lol I did have a cheat day when I went to 4-6 meals a day. Every Saturday I would cheat my ass off. Just whatever I wanted. But, that didn't last for too long. I'm back to not cheating these days. Once in a very blue moon I will though, and it'll be brief, and it'll be on a weekend.

N

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Damn bro that sounds intense. Still amazing tho... Did you lose much muscle at all with all the cardio? I feel like my body can take 5 miles running about 5x a week, but everyone says that amount of cardio is next to insanity and I will end up losing too much muscle. I think in the end it's about listening to your body and testing yourself to know your limits, so from reading your thread, I think I'll try to up my cardio. I hope I can make it to as low bf% as you did with cheating once a week or so. How low bf% did you make it with cheating every Saturday? Once again, grats man, amazing transformation.

C

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I lost quite a bit of muscle. But, in my eyes it was worth it to get that lean. I rebuilt afterwards, and now it seems like I have a much harder time putting on fat and a much easier time putting on muscle. My lowest bf% was 6%, but I didn't have any muscle to speak of at that point. Well, not a whole lot. 5'8" 168lbs. @ 6% bodyfat. I guess that's not terrible, but now I'm 5'8" 184lbs. @ 7% bodyfat. I'm working on going down to 3.5-4% on a 12 week cut. I'm 2 weeks in right now.

Thanks for the congratulations. Yeah, upping your cardio will definitely get you to your goal faster, but it will burn through muscle as well. It's all in what you're comfortable with doing. I just got sick with it man, that's all. You could do it like I did, but I wouldn't recommend it. It does work though. It's just not healthy. You've gotta be able to pull up out of it. Some people do that and come out with an eating disorder. Just gotta be careful.