Hey everyone , can I get your thoughts on this article snippet I read? (Text inside, has to do with possible negative effects of lifting/excess muscle

john10960

Awards
Hi guys, posting here as I think it’s appropriate but also because the supplement forum seems to have high activity.

this is the article snippet:

The fact that excess muscle mass negatively impacts longevity is backed up by data on growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), which both play an intricate role in the aging process. Research suggests that lower levels of growth hormone and IGF-1 result in increased longevity. For example, mice, worms, and flies that are genetically engineered to be deficient in GH or IGF-1 live nearly 50% longer.
Research also suggests that the overexpression of growth hormone in mice, worms, and flies causes up to a 50% shorter life span, mainly due to kidney and liver dysfunction. Ultimately, the key is to find the sweet spot for growth hormone rather than constantly suggesting your body to grow bigger and bulkier. Also, in the same way that having too much muscle mass increases antioxidant needs, so do excessive levels of growth hormone and IGF-1
———————————

any thoughts greatly appreciated!!

kira1357

Awards
There is generally in biological systems a trade-off between growth and longevity. Caloric restriction for example is widely regarded as a predictor of the likelihood of high longevity in human years. I think the article is probably correct, but how that would extrapolate to human lifespan / years is unclear.

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Id rather pass a year or two early and be buried in a large casket than be weak and frail during my lifetime. You would have to have a significant amount of muscle mass for this to be a concern. The average gym goer doesnt need to worry. Plus, there are other lifestyle considerations that can likely offset this longevity issue.

john10960

Awards
Im less referring to the average gym goer but more to us on this forum.

I would consider myself more serious than the average gym goer. I want considerable mass and definition but definitely nothing overkill.
My question , where is the threshold where muscle mass becomes unhealthy? Im not just talking about living a year or 2 less but when does your body become actually unhealthy from crossing that threshold.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I believe you are misunderstanding the article. Those with higher average GH/IGF-1 will, on average, have a shorter lifespan than those with lower average GH/IGF-1 levels. This DOES NOT mean if you get bigger you will die sooner assuming you don't use health compromising methods to get bigger. Gaining muscle does NOT cause your body to magically produce insane amounts of GH/IGF-1.

Also when looking at the studies on animals you have to drastically reduce these levels to make a difference and most of us are not willing to borderline starve and be weak and feeble for a CHANCE at a POTENTIALLY longer life with ZERO guarantee of such.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Lower igf = longer life span, small frail individuals live longer that muscular and fat individuals. But it doesn't mean that building muscle will make you die. Typically you see the same negative health effects when a average height man is over 250lbs, it doesn't matter if it's fat or muscle.

It's all kinda irrelevant because 99% of people could take every steroid under the sun and lift for 20 years and never be a lean 200+ pounds never mind 250+ because the kitchen is where the magic hap
Im less referring to the average gym goer but more to us on this forum.

I would consider myself more serious than the average gym goer. I want considerable mass and definition but definitely nothing overkill.
My question , where is the threshold where muscle mass becomes unhealthy? Im not just talking about living a year or 2 less but when does your body become actually unhealthy from crossing that threshold.
Unless your over 250lbs I wouldn't pay any mind. It seems like the average height man runs into problems over 250lbs weather it's fat or muscle. Higher systemic igf can shorten your lifespan but you don't need high systemic igf all the time to grow. I don't even blink a eye at subjects like this. There irrelevant in most situations that are applying to our cohort. If your over 250 and worried about longevity then back off the sauce and restrict your calories, if your over 25% bodyfat and worried about longevity then get reasonably lean.

Being 215-230 lbs @ 10-12% bodyfat is very reasonable and still better then 99.99999% of the world.

On a side note, just about everyone in my family lives into there mid 90's so I'm not concerned lol

Edit. I didn't mean to be redundant,. I tried to combine that into one message and it stayed split as 2 and posted the part I erased🤦‍♂️🤷

john10960

Awards
Thanks for the replies.

yeah I’m natty, just creatine and whey and diet. I’ll never be over 250 so don’t have to worry about that. Your range 215-230 sounds about right at 10-12% for my goal.

so considering those general parameters I wouldn’t have to worry about that kind of mass being unhealthy yes? Just want to be muscular, lean as possible, and healthy

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks for the replies.

yeah I’m natty, just creatine and whey and diet. I’ll never be over 250 so don’t have to worry about that. Your range 215-230 sounds about right at 10-12% for my goal.

so considering those general parameters I wouldn’t have to worry about that kind of mass being unhealthy yes? Just want to be muscular, lean as possible, and healthy
220 @ 10% is not naturally atainable unless your like 6'5

If your a average height 5'9 then 185 @10% is a good goal

Just to give you an idea because most people don't understand what body fat percentages really look like.

Screenshot_20230518_150709_Google.jpg

To be 220@10% you would be bigger and leaner then 90% of steroid users, unless your like 6'5

Arnold was like 230 @8% on stage

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I saw an interview with a Dr. years ago and he was asked about longevity. He said if I had to choose between the healthiest lifestyle or the 90 year old grandma, I'm taking the grandma every time. Genetics is always the wild card.
Genetics are huge. That doesn't mean I can drop dead tomorrow but the odds are in my favor for longevity. Even the old drunks in my family live into there 80's and 90's

My grandmother stays witj us every Thurs, we all take turns either staying at her house or picking up her to stay at one of our houses to keep her out of a nursinghome. I honestly am not sure how old she is but her oldest son is my uncle George is 74 so I'm guessing my grandmother is at least 92 lol. Still can hold a conversation for the most part, she has her moments where she's forgetful or repeats herself but she's still kicking

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It's also cool because all the kids in my family all have met there great grandparents on both sides.