Do Not Assume That Excellent Performance Will Be Rewarded or That Loyalty Exists in the Workplace

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Gentlemen,

I wanted to share with you something that happened to me, that you may be aware of potential vulnerability.

I have been employed by an international company for 31 years. I am a “C-Level”. Or I will be a C-Level at this company for a few more weeks. During the entirety of my career, with this company and others, I have been the front-line negotiator and business partner responsible for drafting, negotiating, and reviewing commercial, vendor and other business-related contracts and amendments, liaising with internal business teams regarding their contract needs and leading the contract team. I have directly negotiated all our largest contracts.

I have a long history of excellent reviews. I have received company wards. I have developed, mentored and retained a management team ranging from 14 years tenure to 7 years tenure.

I point this out, only to suggest that I am no slouch of a performer. I am not good at many things, but I am very good at what I do. I should be. That is confidence, not arrogance.

This company used to be a very good company. It ran into financial problems and divested several business units. Now, it operates almost exclusively in the temporary staffing industry.

Last June I was reassigned to work for someone who was recently promoted after threatening to quit.

At that time, I voiced concern that she would undermine me. It has been a hellish last year. Since then, she has been suggesting that “only Attorneys should review and negotiate contracts”. Oh, and despite company policy requiring that I receive four performance reviews each year, I have received no performance reviews from my new boss. No reviews = no documentation that I have either been excelling or failing to meet expectations.

My company was recently acquired by another company, a private company (prior to this, we were traded on a major exchange). Since then, my boss has been fighting to keep her position, and I have discovered that she has sacrificed mine.

On Wednesday, I was contacted by a friend (an ex-employee) who told me that he was contacted by a recruiter from my company asking him if he was interested in a position at my company, a newly created position called “Senior Contracts Counsel”. He was alarmed, because it is my job position, except my boss added a requirement that candidates must have a JD and be a member of the Bar.

I called my boss and asked her if this was a position to replace me. She confirmed it was, but “this was a directive from [name of new company’s COO], “[New company] has decided they want to replicate their contracts model in the US as well as {another country]”, “the essential issue is that [name of new company COO] wants an Attorney to do the contract negotiations. If nothing else, this was a disgraceful way to find out and an immoral way to deal with a log term employee.

I have been told that these things are untrue. That person has been on PTO.

Oddly, I was asked to make a presentation to the new company’s CFO and General Counsel the day after this occurred escalated. Now, they want me to meet the new CEO.

Based on what she has done and because of the merger, there is a pretext that may make her veiled discriminatory (age and gender) basis for this action not illegal. I am consulting with Employment Counsel.

In other words, after being promoted to this position by then-General Counsel and the then-CEO about 23 years ago (with knowledge that I have an MBA, but do not have a JD) and having an accomplished record, suddenly this same position can only be filled by an Atty.

Some may see that as constructive dismissal. I do.

So, men, loyalty, while a virtue, appears to no longer exist.

I will be unemployed for the first time in my life. I question the marketability of a 63-year-old professional, based on the current view towards men in my demographic.

I told my management team. They told me that they will start looking for new jobs, and stayed as long as they had because of how we worked together.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The new world order.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Look at it this way, it's a chance for you to try something else. Maybe embark on a new adventure or hobby or interest.You could work for non-profits or educational institutions or have your own consulting business.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That’s awful man. Sorry this happened to you.

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
My opinion of the facts you state differ from yours.

I think the purpose of the CFO presentation, then CEO meeting, is because they are undecided about your position going to an attorney and/or losing you. They may have seen your work product and do not agree with your supervisor. I would treat it as an opportunity to showcase your talent with the knowledge of what your supervisor is attempting to do. Do you know how powerful it would be to say "I know some employers would prefer to have an attorney in this position, let me tell you why it is not needed...."

This perspective may be getting to you too late and I assume all the major pieces have been moving since your initial post. Let us know how it worked out for you.

I could share my experience with performance and loyalty, but we're still in litigation :)

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I may be way off here as I don't know the details of your situation. But would you be able to retire and then go work a part time job doing something you enjoy?.

A older friend of mine was in a similar situation. He was about to get let go after 25 years with a company and he instead decided to retire. Got a part time job working for a clothing company he really likes. Gets 50% off there products, loves going to work 3 days a week and the retirement combined with the 24jours a week balances everything out. Says it's the happiest he's been in years. Lots of free time to enjoy himself as well. He's 58 or 59

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks to those who have responded.

I have reached out to some much-respected past colleges, including a past CEO, and they have been very supportive.

I will find a new job, and I have had to admit that this company is nothing like what it was in the past. It has no heart, no character. When there was talk that they might be trying to retain me, I realized that I did not want to stay, it is scorched earth situation.

I have started laying the groundwork. I just have to work this.

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Good luck to you brother.
It sounds similar to my situation with the exception of not being forced out and our age difference.
Not the same innovative and industry-leading company I joined after the acquiring company implemented their "culture".
Management became toxic, business decisions were poor, vision for future growth was non-existent, successful older employees were ousted in favor of less expensive/less experienced college grads...

Any chance you can work for a competitor serving the same industry?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good luck to you brother.
It sounds similar to my situation with the exception of not being forced out and our age difference.
Not the same innovative and industry-leading company I joined after the acquiring company implemented their "culture".
Management became toxic, business decisions were poor, vision for future growth was non-existent, successful older employees were ousted in favor of less expensive/less experienced college grads...

Any chance you can work for a competitor serving the same industry?
Yes, there may be a very good chance - I hope that plays out, as it would make the shock of changing jobs much less (I wouldn't have to change industries).

Thank you.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Most employees jump ship as soon as a better offer pops up and there is very little loyalty from employers these days as well, chicken and egg thing but it seems everyone is playing it this way these days.

To be fair the original owners are gone and new owners have no loyalty to anyone really as you are not their long-term employee, your new to them like everyone there is more or less.

I am ON YOUR SIDE here and was stabbed in the back in a previous work life myself. Find their number 1 competitor and see if they have any need for your services.........unless you have one of those BS non-compete things but there should be a work around for those in most cases, like do they have you on video signing that piece of paper from 20+ years ago?? I doubt it.

With two years till retirement I personally would be pressing the nuclear button on this one lol(I DO NOT MEAN ANYTHING VIOLENT) but with what you know.................damage could be done..............like anonymous letters to lenders about the precarious financial situations..........letters to large accounts with this or that embarrassing info................................skys the limit! Get an encrypted account and a VPN if you go "rouge." Don't forget about the time your boss sexually harassed you #YouTwo...................................lol.

Good Luck Brother

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Most employees jump ship as soon as a better offer pops up and there is very little loyalty from employers these days as well, chicken and egg thing but it seems everyone is playing it this way these days.

To be fair the original owners are gone and new owners have no loyalty to anyone really as you are not their long-term employee, your new to them like everyone there is more or less.

I am ON YOUR SIDE here and was stabbed in the back in a previous work life myself. Find their number 1 competitor and see if they have any need for your services.........unless you have one of those BS non-compete things but there should be a work around for those in most cases, like do they have you on video signing that piece of paper from 20+ years ago?? I doubt it.

With two years till retirement I personally would be pressing the nuclear button on this one lol(I DO NOT MEAN ANYTHING VIOLENT) but with what you know.................damage could be done..............like anonymous letters to lenders about the precarious financial situations..........letters to large accounts with this or that embarrassing info................................skys the limit! Get an encrypted account and a VPN if you go "rouge." Don't forget about the time your boss sexually harassed you #YouTwo...................................lol.

Good Luck Brother
Yes, I know of several "transgressions". I probably will not reach out to the IRS, but if I did, just the fines associated with several years of classification (not mine, but someone who was MANAGING EMPLOYEES as an "independent contractor" billed at $200/Hr, who was a close friend of the CEO) might be problematic.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes, I know of several "transgressions". I probably will not reach out to the IRS, but if I did, just the fines associated with several years of classification (not mine, but someone who was MANAGING EMPLOYEES as an "independent contractor" billed at $200/Hr, who was a close friend of the CEO) might be problematic.
Always nice to have the "nuclear arrow" in your quiver........................just in case.