Iron's "New and Improved" Training Log...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Here we go fellas...Finally settled back in Jersey. I'm starting a pretty strict DC style routine today.

The framework for this routine is 2 on 1 off. During these 2 days I will hit all muscle groups atleast once, directly. I will be rotating 3 different schemes. The basic outline is this:

A - Chest, Delts, Triceps, Back Thickness, Back Width
B - Biceps, Wrists, Calves, Hamstrings, Quads

In the end, things look like this...1a, 1b, off, 2a, 2b, off, 3a, 3b, off, repeat.

I will be doing 2-4 warm-up sets and then 1 rest-pause set to failure fo each exercise. The rest-pause set will be a combonations of 3 sets with 12-15 breaths in between.

Abs will be done on A days and some B's if I'm feeling frisky. I've also incorporated a few direct exercises for traps that you will be able to see along the way...

The premise of DC training is that strength = size and by hitting each muscle once a session and more then once a week, you grow 104 times a year, instead of 52. It makes sense and guys like David Henry use DC.

Once you reach a point where you are maxed out on a lift, you substitute a different lift in it's place and once you max out on this, you can put the old lift back into the routine and you should be stronger than you were previously. This ends up being a never ending cycle in which you are constantly getting stronger.

Diet is on point after a week long binge of hoagies, pizza, chinese, donuts and beer. I'm still tight as hell though, suprisingly...

I hope I don't disappoint with this one!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
i'm definitely looking forward to following this one mate. Good luck!

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
good $hit...we'll have to compare notes

where in jersey are u moving if u dont mind me asking...i'm from nothern jersey by newark

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
This looks and sounds really interesting. I'm defiantly in. Can't wait to see how this works out for you and I'm glad to see that someone else likes to hit the same body part more than once a week. If you don't mind me asking what do your schemes look like? I know thats a lot to type out though.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Monday's workout (7/30)

1a...

Incline Smith Press:
265 x 5, 3, 1

Smith Military Press:
215 x 7, 3, 1

CG Smith Bench Press:
215 x 8, 3, 1

Cable Lat Pulldowns:
270 x 3, 3, 1

Deadlift to Shrug:
405 x 4, 3, 1

"EXTREME" Stretches were good but I need to incorporate some extra weight on the hanging stretches but I left my belt in my trunk....

I am taking out the shrug motion in the last exercise and possibly incorporating it as an additional exercise.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
This looks and sounds really interesting. I'm defiantly in. Can't wait to see how this works out for you and I'm glad to see that someone else likes to hit the same body part more than once a week. If you don't mind me asking what do your schemes look like? I know thats a lot to type out though.
I have it on my work laptop, I'll copy it over tomorrow.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Aaawwwhhhh (as in the sound you make when viewing a baby pic), another snuggly one going DC on me.

Any "supplementals" along with the training?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have tossed around the idea of starting a DC program, but I can't bring myself to do it. I will be following your progress, maybe it will convince me to switch for a little.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Sweet, good to see ya up and runnin again.

I've yet to see you in my log....:rolleyes:

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Aaawwwhhhh (as in the sound you make when viewing a baby pic), another snuggly one going DC on me.

Any "supplementals" along with the training?
I'm keeping this on the DL from now on...shoot me a pm.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Monday's workout (7/30)

1a...

Incline Smith Press:
265 x 5, 3, 1

Smith Military Press:
215 x 7, 3, 1

CG Smith Bench Press:
215 x 8, 3, 1

Cable Lat Pulldowns:
270 x 3, 3, 1

Deadlift to Shrug:
405 x 4, 3, 1

"EXTREME" Stretches were good but I need to incorporate some extra weight on the hanging stretches but I left my belt in my trunk....

I am taking out the shrug motion in the last exercise and possibly incorporating it as an additional exercise.
Why the "all smith" day?.....jw?

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
not bad will be looking foward to each workout cuz im gonna copy your workouts ooo

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday's Workout (7/31)

Preacher Curls:
165 x 3, 1, 1

Rev. Preacher Curls:
115 x 5, 1, 1

Leg Press:
1170 x 3 / 1080 x 4, 3, 3

Calve Raises (Leg Press):
1170 x 5, 4, 3

Leg Curls (Seated):
280 x 10, 6, 5

- I need to drop the weights a bit. I was a little over zealous. Basically I need to conentrate on contraction timing and work with slightly higher reps.

-I also need to find a way to rig up my Leg Curl machine with more weight or add something else in it's place.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
-I also need to find a way to rig up my Leg Curl machine with more weight or add something else in it's place.
SLDL's baby! Those will fry your hammies. I like using DB's to get a good stretch.

Or GHR's if you can rig it up somehow. :D

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
SLDL's are on day 2b...

GHR's are a possibility, I'd rather do iso ham raises with cables, and I think my gym has an ankle strap...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
8/2

2a...

Flat DB Press:
85x 8, 4, 1

Side Laterals:
45 x 15

Weighted Dips:
BW + 70 x 8, 2, 1

Wide Grip Pullups:
Bw x 15

T-Bar Rows:
5plates x 6, 5, 2

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Look foward to this one! You should make great progress! Gunna subscribe to this one.

Few things.. Just curious as to the 2day on, 1 off scheme? Why have you decided to go with that over the normal m-w-f 2 day split?

Secondly i would change lateral raises to some sort of pressing movement. I have seen DC talk quite a bit about not using lat raises on his program. You want to stick to BIG compound movements.

Thirdly back thickness, and quads you should not be rest pausing. A main focus on quads is placed on the 20rep widow maker set. Back thickness should be done in 2 straight sets, one heavy, one lighter for more reps.

Good luck bro!

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
none of this was TUT right?
No.. it's DC.........................you know...... High intensity to failure?

PI, I have something riding on this one... so you had better make Daddy Snuggles proud.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm in like a....er....it's late, I can't think of a funny simile.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for the delay in updates...kinda hectic this past week.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
8/3

2b...

BB Curls (EZ Bar)
95 x 8, 4, 2
25 second stretch

Squats:
315 x 8, 4, 2
30 second stretch

SLDL:
225 x 15

Shrugs:
405 x 8, 4, 2
30 second stretch

Smith Calf Raises:
405 x 20
30 second stretch

Hanging leg raises:
15, 15, 12

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
8/6

3a...

Dec. Smith Bench:
295 x 8, 3, 2
65lb stretch, 25 seconds

DB Military Press:
80 x 8, 4, miss
35 second stretch

Skull Crushers:
115 x 8, 3, 1
35lb stretch. 30 seconds each

Rev. Grip Pulldowns (w/ straps):
285 x 6, 3, 1
20 second stretch

BB Rows:
185 x 8, 5, 5

Swiss Ball Crunches:
50 x 3

- BB Rows weight was low because I didn't think my grip was going to hold after the hanging stretch. I was wrong.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Look foward to this one! You should make great progress! Gunna subscribe to this one.

Few things.. Just curious as to the 2day on, 1 off scheme? Why have you decided to go with that over the normal m-w-f 2 day split?

He uses this for people with above average recovery, which would be me :)

Secondly i would change lateral raises to some sort of pressing movement. I have seen DC talk quite a bit about not using lat raises on his program. You want to stick to BIG compound movements.

This is my only isolation movement and I love lateral raises

Thirdly back thickness, and quads you should not be rest pausing. A main focus on quads is placed on the 20rep widow maker set. Back thickness should be done in 2 straight sets, one heavy, one lighter for more reps.

DC states that you should use rest pauses unless you cannot, and for squats, leg presses, deads, etc., you can rereack the weights and never lose contact with the bar and take you 12-15 breathes and move right into the next portion of the RP set...this is my plan

Good luck bro!

Thank you, everybit of input is much appreciated, I am truly a beginner with this type of training.
:thumbsup:

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
He uses this for people with above average recovery, which would be me

Is it possable you can point me to where he said that? This is the only other split i have seen him talk about, and it seems he really only uses it for few people who are lifting extreme numbers, and been on the 2 day split for a long time.

For advanced bodybuilders (and with that I'm talking very elite bodybuilders and extremely strong people) I sometimes go with the following

monday=chest shoulders triceps
tuesday=biceps forearms backwidth backthickness
thursday=calves hams quads
friday-repeat of mondays bodyparts
monday-repeate of tuesdays bodyparts
tuesday-repeat of thursdays bodyparts

This way bodyparts are hit twice every 9 days or so and I can work on advanced bodybuilders lagging bodyparts somewhat better with this split.

This is my only isolation movement and I love lateral raises
Cool, i just thought i would mention it as i have seen him say.

If you go in every gym in america 80% of those people are doing laterals. People love to do laterals, they love to look in the mirror at themselves doing laterals. Do they work? Yes for some people. They definitely work for Jay Cutler (and Jay Cutlers incredible genetics). But with all these people doing lateral raises how many do you see with outstanding delts? One out of 50? One out of 100? Im not seeing many. How many people smythe front pressing 315 for reps or smythe behind the neck pressing 315lbs(to ear level only) for reps, or a whole weight stack with a dumbell chained to it on a selectorized press machine have small delts? This is all about constant progression upward and forward and its very hard to start with side laterals with 35lb dumbells and end up around 135lb dumbells for side laterals over time like you could do with dumbell presse
Never seen that either. Can ya link me?. Allot of emphasis is placed on that 20 rep widomaker set. If at 15 you are spent, you should stand there(not rack the weight) for a few breaths, and bust out some more. Not restpausing most back thickness, and quad excersises is more to avoid injury, and to hit them heavier.

here let me put it in simple terms

do 2 sets, one heavy and one really heavy

the heavy one will be slightly higher reps than the really heavy one obviously

you take as much rest as you need between the sets

the heavy set put it in the range of 9 to 15 reps probably

the really heavy set put in the range of 6 to 10 reps probably
DC states that you should use rest pauses unless you cannot, and for squats, leg presses, deads, etc., you can rereack the weights and never lose contact with the bar and take you 12-15 breathes and move right into the next portion of the RP set...this is my plan

If ya can find where he says some of this stuff i would appreciate it/ love to check it out as it would give me a few more options for when i stall on excersises, or want to change things up. I just know it from everything i have learned/read in the last couple years it is contradictory to most of it.

Thanks again!
:bb3:

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Painful...but afterwards i have a decent pump going.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Wanted to give a brief update...

...yesterday I was off and went to the DMB concert.

...today I was supposed to do my 1a workout but got a call from the Dr. tellnig me I have Squamous cell, which is a kind of skin cancer. Kinda freaked me out and made not want to do much of anything.

I'll be back in the gym tomorrow....

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hope everything's ok, and that it's early enough to be preventable.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Best of luck with everything man. I hope everything is alright.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
My prayers are with ya man.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Shocking news, but have faith little buddy. You'll be fine.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Yea, well I've had symptoms for under a year and it hasn't really "spread" or "gotten much worse" over that time peroid. I do need hand surgery to get rid of it and need to keep myself covered in really high SPF sunscreen and get my moles checked 1 or 2 times every year (which everyone should do anyways).

So thanks guys...

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Yea, well I've had symptoms for under a year and it hasn't really "spread" or "gotten much worse" over that time peroid. I do need hand surgery to get rid of it and need to keep myself covered in really high SPF sunscreen and get my moles checked 1 or 2 times every year (which everyone should do anyways).

So thanks guys...
Wow man...unfair life ehh?

Prayin for ya.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
How's the training coming? Did you quit the DC or just haven't had time to keep the log? Just wondering.