8 Weeks Out Video Prep Log

1. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

8 Weeks Out Video Prep Log

7/2/2007: Update on how things have been going

I am currently 8 weeks out from the Scivation Training Video Marc and I are shooting. I am coming off a lower back injury, but my lower back is slowly getting better and better. While it is not 100%, it is close. I can do full deadlifts and squats again, which I am very happy about. Now I have to work on regaining my strength on these lifts as these WERE my two strongest lifts (they are currently at HALF of what they used be to). I currently weigh 195.5 lbs. Up until this point I have been eating 100% clean during the week and then have a bad meal or two on the weekend (Family gatherings, going out of town, etc.) It is now time to buckle down and Git?er?dun! I have 8 weeks to prep for the Scivation video.

Daily Diet
    I now go to the gym first thing in the morning. Previously my wife and I have been going to the gym in the afternoon/evening after she got off of work, but this was hard because (1) she was tired and (2) it was hard to stay on schedule. I wake up at 5 A.M. and am at the gym no later than 5:30 A.M. Before heading out to the gym I drink:
    -1 Serving VasoXplode
    -1 Serving Primal EAA
    -2 Scoops Xtend
    During my workout I sip on:
    -1 Serving Primal EAA
    -6 Scoops Xtend

Meal 1 is eaten when I get home from the gym and contains:
    -3/4 Cups Oatmeal or 3 Pieces of Ezekiel Bread (Cooked as French Toast with Walden Farms Calorie Free Syrup)
    -1.5 Scoops Substance WPI
    -1 Cup Milk
    -2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meals 2-5 contain:
    -6 oz. Lean Meat (Chicken, Beef, Fish)
    -1 Cup Vegetables
    -1/2 Piece of Fruit (Grapefruit, Banana, Orange)
    -10 Almonds or 1 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 6 (I usually don?t feel like eating at this point so I just drink a shake)
    -2 Scoops Substance WPI

Supplements
    -VasoXplode
    -Xtend
    -Primal EAA
    -Elastamine
    -Cissus
    -Fish Oil
    -Insopro-R (with meal 1)

Now for some terrible lighting pics that I took myself. I will try to get some pics outside this weekend, but for now these will do.

2. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

Day 1- 7/2/2007
    Well looks like this week’s workout schedule is going to be thrown off already  My wife and I did legs on Saturday, which we have not worked in 3 weeks. Needless to say both of us can barely walk today! We decided it would be best to rest today and go to the gym tomorrow which is supposed to be an off day.

I decided to do 30 minutes of light walking on my treadmill while sipping some Primal EAA + Xtend for some active recovery, which should help alleviate my DOMS.

This is the spreadsheet I will use to track my progress:

Here is my current workout:

I did a test run of this workout last week and really liked it. I am only working my legs once a week because if I do more than that my legs get too big and I am doing a lot of the step-mill. As you can see, my setup is a low volume, high frequency program. My main goal (besides fat loss) is to gain strength, specifically in my deadlift and squats. I feel this program will allow me to do that

I do 20 minutes of cardio before every workout. Mon, Wed, and Fri I do 10 minutes on the step-mill and then 10 minutes on the Elliptical. On Sun (leg day) I do 20 minutes on the treadmill.

Following my cardio I stretch on this machine which has 8 different stretches:

Following stretching I do a ab/lower back strengthening curcuit consisting of:
    Roman Chair Sit-Ups
    Back Extensions
    Reverse Leg Lifts
    Leg Raises
    Lying Leg Twists
    I did this before my last leg workout and had ZERO lower back pain or tightness.

Cardio + Stretching + Ab/Lower Back work takes about 35 minutes. Weights take about an hour.

If anyone has any questions on anything feel free to ask.
  3. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

7/3/2007

Today's Workout
    Cardio
    5 minutes Step-Mill (legs are still SUPER sore)
    15 minutes Elliptical

Stretching
    15 minutes stretching/core warm-up/rotator cuff work

Weights
    Bench Press Alternated with Bent Over Row
    275 X 6/275 X 4
    275 X 5/275 X 4
    275 X 4/275 X 4

Military Press Alternated with BB Shrug
    195 X 3/335 X 4
    195 X 3/335 4
    195 X 3/335 X 4

Close Grip Bench Alternated with BB Curl
    235 X 4/115 X 6
    235 X 4/115 X 6
    235 X 4/115 X 6

Nice workout today. My goals by the workout video are:
    Bench Press = 315 X 3
    Bent Over Row = 315 X 3
    Military Press = 225 X 3
    BB Shrug = 405 X 6
    CG Bench = 275 X 3
    Barbell Curl 135 X 6 (with perfect form)
    I should be able to get to this strength level as I have been there in the past.
    •   

4. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

Here are a couple full body pics. I tried some different lighting, which is a little better, but I'm still gonna take some pics outside this weekend.

I thought my legs would be smaller because I just recently started doing squats and SLDs again, I'm pleased with where they are at now.
  5. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

7/4/2007
    Today’s Workout

Cardio
    5 minutes Step-Mill (legs are still SUPER sore)
    15 minutes Elliptical

Stretching
    10 minutes stretching/core warm-up

Weights
    Deadlift 365 X 3, 3, 3
    No pain or anything during deadlifts, which makes me very happy. I didn’t want to push myself too hard and aggravate my back, so I stopped after 3 reps on each set. My goal right now is to get up to 405 lbs for 3 sets of 3 reps.

Pull-Ups alternated with Dips
    14/14
    12/12
    10/10

Power Clean alternated with Wide Grip Upright Row
    135 X 6/135 X 6
    135 X 6/135 X 6
    135 X 6/135 X 6

1-Arm Cable Hammer Curl
    70 X 6
    60 X 8
    50 X 10
    I was BEAT by the time I was supposed to do cable curls and pressdowns. This is most likely due to having to do Monday’s workout yesterday and not having a rest day in between workouts.

Tomorrow is an off day, so I will be resting up for Friday’s workout.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.46%

So, how many people in Michigan are glad you're not competing this year.
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.61%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

goddam man you look great keep this log up !
  8. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

Quote Originally Posted by BillFinkbiner View Post
    So, how many people in Michigan are glad you're not competing this year.
    LOL. I still remember in 2003 at the Northern Michigan Championships when one guy who I beat 3 weeks previously saw me get out of the car and said "Damn man you're here! I'm going home." LOL, good times. Right now though I just want to get in the best shape I can without sacrificing enjoying life.
  9. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

Quote Originally Posted by nycste View Post
    goddam man you look great keep this log up !
    Thanks buddy!
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.25%

IMHO you look good from the back but something is not right with the frontal pose look. Perhaps it's symmetry or something, not sure anyone else input?

P.S don't get me wrong you look f'n great and I would love to look like that
  11. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

Quote Originally Posted by neoborn View Post
    IMHO you look good from the back but something is not right with the frontal pose look. Perhaps it's symmetry or something, not sure anyone else input?

P.S don't get me wrong you look f'n great and I would love to look like that
    I haven't really posed in years, so I am flexing my left lat better than my right. My arms are a little off (left higher than right). I noticed that but didn't feel like taking more pics lol.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.46%

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    LOL. I still remember in 2003 at the Northern Michigan Championships when one guy who I beat 3 weeks previously saw me get out of the car and said "Damn man you're here! I'm going home." LOL, good times. Right now though I just want to get in the best shape I can without sacrificing enjoying life.
    I can see where you're coming from. I've had many undisciplined years, so a year or so of being strict is a good thing, and I enjoy it anyway. I'm really not giving up much at this point since my job has a social aspect to it.
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.25%

I haven't really posed in years, so I am flexing my left lat better than my right. My arms are a little off (left higher than right). I noticed that but didn't feel like taking more pics lol.
    No no no it's not your pose, I figured it out, it's the disproportion between your HUUUUUGE frontal lat spread combined with your small stringy neck / small ( looking ) arms.

To be honest, I f'n suck at trying to say this the right way. I truly fail at communication sometimes. Do you see what I mean?

I want you to know more than anything, I would be 10/10 happy to look like you do now rather than me so believe me this is no comparison " oh yeah well what do you look like" because you sir are a greek god standing next to me a mere slob of a man
  14. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

Quote Originally Posted by neoborn View Post
    No no no it's not your pose, I figured it out, it's the disproportion between your HUUUUUGE frontal lat spread combined with your small stringy neck / small ( looking ) arms.

To be honest, I f'n suck at trying to say this the right way. I truly fail at communication sometimes. Do you see what I mean?

I want you to know more than anything, I would be 10/10 happy to look like you do now rather than me so believe me this is no comparison " oh yeah well what do you look like" because you sir are a greek god standing next to me a mere slob of a man
    I see what you mean. From the angle the pic was taking at (off my desk) you can't see my traps so my neck looks tiny compared to my lats, though I have always had a small neck lol.
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.25%

I see what you mean. From the angle the pic was taking at (off my desk) you can't see my traps so my neck looks tiny compared to my lats, though I have always had a small neck lol.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt51.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Exercise-F...cles&id=458183

http://ezinearticles.com/?Build-Neck...cles&id=549230

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/ozzy1.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Neck

Hope any of that helps.
  16. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

7/7/07

Cardio = 20 minutes on Treadmill

Stretching and Core Work

Weights
    Squats
    365 X 3, 3
    315 X 6
    I did something to my upper back when doing squats. It felt really tight like I strained something. I'm going to ice it this weekend and hope for the best. I was spent after squats.

Seated Calf Rasies
    180 X 6, 6, 6

SLD
    155 X 6
    175 X 6
    195 X 6
    I am slowly increasing the weight I use on these to make sure my back can handle the load. No issues today!
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.75%

Good luck with getting your strength back!
  18. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

Quote Originally Posted by bballstud View Post
    Good luck with getting your strength back!
    Thanks!

It will be a long journal, but hey, it gives me some goals

My PRs for Squat and Deadlift are both 600 X 3... I'm at 365 X 3 right now, so I got 250 pounds to go!!!

19. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

Update...

I injured my chest/delt last Monday. I was out of town on business Tues-Thurs and did train my legs and arms. On Friday I did some LIGHT upper body workout. I took the weekend off of training as my body needed some rest. My shoulder doesn't feel tight anymore so we will see what happens today at the gym.
  20. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

7/16/2007- 6 Weeks Out
    I weighed in at 193.5 lbs yesterday, so I am down another pound as well as 0.5% body fat. I am averaging a lost of 1 pound and 0.5% body fat a week, which is perfect.

After injuring my chest/delt last Monday I realized that I need to take a break from lifting heavy. I have primarily been lifting in the 3-6 rep range for quite some time and I feel that I need to take a break from lifting heavy. From now until the video I will be lifting in the 6-10 rep range. I will also only be hitting each muscle once a week. Again, I have been hitting each muscle twice a week for a long time, so I am taking a break from that as well.

My new workout split is:
    Monday = Chest/Delts
    Wednesday = Back/Traps
    Friday = Arms
    Sunday = Legs

I am tweaking my diet a little as well. My new diet is:
    Meal 1 is eaten when I get home from the gym and contains:
    -3/4 Cups Oatmeal or 3 Pieces of Ezekiel Bread (Cooked as French Toast with Walden Farms Calorie Free Syrup)
    -1.5 Scoops Substance WPI
    -1 Cup Milk
    -2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meals 2-5 contain:
    -6 oz. Lean Meat (Chicken, Beef, Fish)
    -1-2 Cups Vegetables

Meal 6 (I usually don't feel like eating at this point so I just drink a shake)
    -2 Scoops Ultra Peptide
    -10 Almonds

Supplements are the same:
    -VasoXplode
    -Xtend
    -Primal EAA
    -Elastamine
    -Cissus
    -Fish Oil
    -Insopro-R (with meal 1)
  21. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

7-16-2007

Chest/Delts Workout
    Chest
    Incline Barbell Press 225 X 6; 205 X 8; 185 X 10
    Low Incline DB Press 100 X 4; 75 X 6; 65 X 8
    Dips BW X 10, 10, 10
    Cable Flies 70 X 8, 8, 8

Delts
    DB Shoulder Press 75 X 4; 65 X 7; 55 X 10
    DB Side Lateral 40 X 6; 35 X 8; 40 X 10
    1-Arm Cable Lateral 30 X 8, 8, 8

Workout Thoughts
    It’s been a while since I have done a high volume routine that hits each muscle almost once a week, but I liked it! My chest felt pretty good. It felt a little tight on dips, but no issues. The pump in my chest was crazy! As I said, I have not done a high volume routine in a while, so this is a welcome change. By the time I got to delts my arms felt like noodles, but I still performed well.
  22. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

7/17/2007

Nothing crazy today, just 30 minutes on the treadmill with an incline then some stretching.

7/18/2007

I woke up this morning with some pain in my lower back. After doing my cardio and stretching at the gym it appears to pain is due to tight hamstrings, I guess I didn't stretch them good enough after cardio yesterday. I had planned on doing deadlifts and bent over rows today, but I am not going to be able to? Right now things are starting to get discouraging. I finally thought my lower back was good to go and now it is hurting again. I know stretching is the key so I just have to keep doing it! I plan on stretching on the stretch machine both before and after my workouts from now on.

Today's Workout

Cardio = 5 minutes on Stairmaster then 15 minutes on Elliptical.

Stretching then core work.

Weights
    Pulls Up
    BW X 15, 10, 8

Free Motion Pulldowns
    100 X 10; 110 X 10; 120 X 10, 10

Free Motion Rows

Free Motion Shrugs

Free Motion Rear Laterals
    30 X 10, 10, 8, 8

My plan of attack is to stretch twice a day: pre/post workout and in the evening on workout days and post cardio and in the evening on off days.
  23. "He's not human!"
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.84%

7/19/2007

I woke up and downed some Primal EAA + Primal N2O (see my Getting Primal article) and got dressed to do some cardio. I decided to try walking backwards on the treadmill because my hamstrings and glute are tight and I figured this would be a good way to increase blood flow to those areas and loosen them up. I did 30 minutes (while sipping on 4 scoops of Xtend) of this and then STRETCHED! Right now my lower back feels much better than yesterday. I may have found something that will help my lower back out!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Distilled Water 14 week Prep log and then some....
    By Distilled Water in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 474
    Last Post: 10-22-2014, 02:04 AM
  2. Pre-contest log: 7 weeks out and Hyper T2 is taking me in!
    By memphis_slim in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 01:26 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM