Glen's redemption log

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
Well as some of you may have noticed I was away from the forum for about 2.5 months ... i was working ridiculous hours and didn't even have time to get in the gym let alone post here (couldn't post at work)

to cut a long story short .. i made it to the gym 12 times from June 1 until today (a whooping 5 times in july) .. i'm down to 195lbs and my once etched in stone 6 pack is now kind of outlined ... current measurements from today

arms - 17
forearms - 14
waist - 31
chest - 46
thighs - 26
calves - ...shut up

the workout ... 3 sets per body part reps 8-12, 6-8, 4-6 ... weight increases each set .. 5 second negs/explosive positives

workout a
chest
back width
back thickness
tris
shoulders (if i feel like it

workout b
bis
quads
hams
calves

workouts are MWF alternating between A and B

i wanted to go light today to get back into the swing of things .. turns out what once was light .. well its not that ****ing light anymore! haha

chest - DB press
95 - 9
100 - 6
105 - 5

back thickness - BB rows
225 - 10
245 - 8
255 - 8

back width - reverse grip close grip pulldowns
190 - 10
200 - 8
210 - 5

tris - overhead ext
90 - 10
95 - 8
105 - 8

Last edited:
Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Welcome Baaaaaaack"

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Here's to a good Redemption!! :cheers: (even though you cannot drink yours) Wish you well. I tend to fall off like that... usually 2-3 times a year. :icon_lol:

BTW Mullet, change your avatar back to something Mullety. That one kinda freaks me out... :run:

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So...what's up with calves huh? Do you wear triple socks so they look bigger? You know you can't get calf implants...I mean, all the cool guys are doing it nowadays. Also, sometimes people tape bibles to their calves while doing calf raises....it may just work...Probably not. LOL...

But really, welcome back! What kind of split and lifting philosphy are you going off of?

I'm about to start up DC myself. Good to see you back.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Glen I've been in the same boat best of luck to ya as I'll be fighting to come back as well.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its good to see a fellow bro back up n lifting! I doubt anyone noticed but i took quite a break myself from the board and liftin for about 2.5 months and would workout bout once a week or so. But ive been at it again for almost 3 months and must admit htis is the best ive looked ever.

Ive got my intensity, my drive, and my determination back and im glad to see you have time now.

Good luck bro and ill be followin ur redemption log! :dance: :djparty:

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
GREAT to see you back buddy.

I am in the same boat, but for a considerably longer time :(

CROWLER

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The one thing that all of us have to be reminded of is that life happens and all of this persuance of strength and size is just a far second or third or fourth priority to many things. Hang in there Crowler.

Good luck Jminis

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Glad to see you back bro!!! Keep it up, and your abs will be etched again.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Hey man...welcome back. I remember a long time ago I saw your pic and thought "I wanna look like him.....only much taller"

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Good to see you back. I am still doing the the workout I stole from ya. Lovin it.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the support fellas! except rampage and kwycke .. you two go to hell

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
This is a reminder I need to get back into going to the gym *subscribed*

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Glad to see you back at it bro. It was a cold, lonely place here when ubiquitous was the only one flying the shaven, tanned, man-tights wearing flag of justice ;)

Don't worry man, as I'm sure you know your strength will return rapidly :)

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
8/9

bis - straight bar curls
115 -10
125 - 6
125 - 5

quads - hack squats (some douche was using the squat rack forever)
3 plates - 10
4 plates - 10
5 plates - 8

hams - glute/ham raises
BW - 4
BW - 4
BW - 4
hard to do these without a spotter as i become a huge vag and worry i'll go too far, won't be able to support my weight, and hyper extend my knee .. oh yeah and i'm weak nowadays

calves - seated raises
3 plates - 12
3 plates - 12
3 plates - 12

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Glad to see you posting Glenny, how did the finals/ exams finish up? Last time I talked to you, you were cramming. I am living in Costa Rica now, and life is great!

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
yeah i saw that in the steriods section that's great man! some buddies of mine have been down there and said it was super dope

finals ended up well .. it was working this summer that really kept me from posting and lifting .. just not enough hours in the day

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Ex, I'm not shaven like Glen.. But we both wear man-tights... really really tight ones...ballsquishers we like to call 'em.

Glenihanichaun... a warm welcome to you my little student of jurisprudence. You have been missed.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey glen you mind adding what your diet is too? Im interested to see what that is as well as the workout schedule (got that from the other thread posted in here).

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Hey Glen, lifts are lookin' good for a month off. Still strong.

BTW, have you ever tried hitting 3x/wk on calves? I know that Layne Norton used to be stick-legs norton and he was never able to pack some mass on his legs (in his words) until he hit them 3x/wk high volume. (He's heading a forum at BodyBuilding Dungeon - Bodybuilding Pictures and Forum which is AM.com's sister site now--bobo is buying more e-real estate).

Worth lookin' in to. I'm not gonna give beelzeboob the hints though b/c he's so big he makes me look stupid and I have to keep him down somehow :) So, make sure than when your calves are 20" you keep beelzeboob out of the loop.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
diet on training days

9am - 1 cup oats, 10 egg whites, water (blended)

11am - 1 cup oats, 2 scoops whey (pre wo)

1pm - 1 cup oats, 2 schoops whey (post wo)

3pm - 2 whole wheat english muffins, 1 can chicken

6pm - 2 whole wheat english muffins, 1 can tuna

9pm - enough peanuts to give me 30g fat, 1/2 can chicken

bedtime - 2 scoops casein, enough peanuts to give me 30g fat

kwycke -- at this point i'll try anything with calves .. i'll start working them each workout for a while and see how that goes

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
If you give something like that a shot, lemme know how it goes.

As soon as I can get my diet back on I'm gonna try 3x/wk on my triceps to see if it helps. My triceps = Glens calfs. :(

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Worth lookin' in to. I'm not gonna give beelzeboob the hints though b/c he's so big he makes me look stupid and I have to keep him down somehow :) So, make sure than when your calves are 20" you keep beelzeboob out of the loop.
unlawful jackass. i've tried 3x week and up to 6x a week with varying rep schemes including stretches. the only time i noticed any true difference was when i had an excessive amount of time off. i would do my usual heavy calf workout and the next day, while at home, i would throughout the day do max sets of BW calf raises on the step. i would try to total 1000 before the day was over. after a couple weeks, they had gone up 1/4". now, i'm not saying i gained 1/4" of muscle, but there was definately to be learned there. high volume, high frequency may be the way to go.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Good deal. I hope this is the way to go b/c i need to get these pathetic excuses for triceps growing as badly as you need to add another 1/4" to your calfs and double their size. Thx for the input :)

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
unlawful jackass. i've tried 3x week and up to 6x a week with varying rep schemes including stretches. the only time i noticed any true difference was when i had an excessive amount of time off. i would do my usual heavy calf workout and the next day, while at home, i would throughout the day do max sets of BW calf raises on the step. i would try to total 1000 before the day was over. after a couple weeks, they had gone up 1/4". now, i'm not saying i gained 1/4" of muscle, but there was definately to be learned there. high volume, high frequency may be the way to go.
The reason calves tend to be small is that they are predominantly slow twitch muscle fiber in most people. The best way to develop slow twitch muscle fiber is with long duration low intensity work - in the science and practice of strength training zatsiorsky talks about how elite ultraendurance athletes would do an exercise for 5-10 minutes straight in order to strengthen and develop the slow twitch red muscle fibers for their sport.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
8/11

chest - DB press
95 - 10
100 - 8
105 - 4

back thickness - rack deads
405 - 8
425 - 6

back width - reverse grip close grip pull downs
190 - 10
200 - 7
210 - 6

tris - overhead ext.
95 - 10
105 - 6
110 - 4

overall felt stronger today which is nice, but i was disappointed with my rack deads ... and i completely forgot about training calves :(

ex - what type of frequency would be best to use with the long duration low intensity work?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Well, that gets a bit tricky since no exact protocol is laid out. As an example, an elite soviet swimmer would do between 5 and 11 hours of low intensity training in a 2 week period, with sets of 5-10 minutes each.

I don't think you need to go that crazy, but you might try getting a pair of strength shoes, or putting on a weight vest and walking at a steep incline or doing the step mill for 10 minutes at a time (this will let you get some good cardio in too). I would also do some higher intensity training, maybe alternate doing a higher volume of low intensity work in 5-10 minute intervals (3-5 hours over a 2 week period seems reasonable as a starting point) with lower volumes of high intensity work, then switch after 2 weeks and do half the volume of low intensity work and double the volume of high intensity work. As far as the high intensity work I'd suggest 10-12 heavy sets a week broken up over 2-3 workouts during the 2 week periods where you emphasize high intensity.

Edit: I'd start with 10 minute sessions and focus on making them brutally hard to the point where your calves feel like they are going to die.

Second edit: since I didn't really answer your question properly, I'd hit them every day. Slow twitch muscle fibers are tough and I'm pretty sure they can handle it.

Hehe, I'm so glad I have big calves already :D

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
been out of town and haven't had a chance to update

i also forgot my logbook so these are from memory but they should be accurate

monday -

bis - straight bar curls
115 - 10
125 - 7
125 - 6

quads - squats
315 - 10
335 - 8
365 - 6

hams - GHR
BW - 8
BW - 6
BW - 3 .. oops lol

calves - seated calf raises
2 plates - did them with slow pos and negs for 2 minutes straight 3 times

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
wednesday

chest - DB press
100's - 10
105's - 8
110's - 4

back thickness - BB rows
245 - 9
255 - 6
255 - 5

back width - wide grip pull ups
BW - 10
BW - 8
BW - 7

tris - overhead ext.
100 - 10
105 - 7
105 - 6

shoulders - hammer strength machine
2 plates - 12
2 plates + 25 - 6

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reps going up any easier yet Glen?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
yeah i'm getting stronger each workout its all slowly coming back :)

holy sh*t were my legs sore from squatting though .. wow haven't been that sore in a long time

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
8/21

chest - DB press
100 - 10
105 - 8
110 - 5

back thickness - bb rows
235 - 10
245 - 8
265 - 7

back width - reverse grip close grip pulldowns
200 - 10
210 - 8
220 - 6

tris - overhead ext.
100 - 10
105 - 8
110 - 6

felt pretty strong today .. weight's already up to 202 (not that it matters much) i'll take measurements tomorrow when i'm cold

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
8/23

bis - straight bar curls
115 - 10
125 - 7
135 - 4

quads - hack squats
3 plates (per side)- 10
4 plates - 12
5 plates 10

hamstrings - GHR
BW - 6
BW - 5
BW - 4
(i was totally drained from the hack squats)

calves - seated calf raises
3 plates - slow negs and positives for 1 minute x 3

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
you and those goddamn GHR's... dude, those are excruciating for me..

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
you and those goddamn GHR's... dude, those are excruciating for me..
I believe the difficulty level is directly correlated to height due to the physics of leverage.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I believe the difficulty level is directly correlated to height due to the physics of leverage.
yes.. I have realized this as well...

and excellent set up ;)

I'll let the comedy ensue.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
... i hate you all so much ... you weak hamstringed motherf*ckers!!

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
ahh beelze .. feebly trying to stroke his already enflamed ego yet again ... your day will come beelze-san

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
nah, i was 5' 2" in 5th grade. that day has come and gone.......

as for my ego. it is quite big.....and hairy. it grows with the ever changing weights. ;)

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
8/25

chest - DB press
105 - 10
110 - 7
115 - 5

back thickness - T bar rows
4 plates - 10
4 plates + 25 - 7
5 plates - 6

back width - close grip reverse grip pulldowns
210 - 8
220 - 6
230 - 5

tris - overhead ext
100 - 10
105 - 8
110 - 6

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
muscle memory is lots of fun :)

might have gone a bit too heavy on pulldowns this workout though .. all my reps were legit .. there just weren't that many lol .. no big deal keep it the same weight next workout

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Looking stronger my friend...

Keep it up!

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
8/28

started training with my training partner again and things will be a little different for workout B days

a "westside" style routine will be used (kind of) there will be dynamic effort days and max effort days

this will not affect workout A days

i'm doing this because i was really impressed with the results of my lower body the last time i trained westside

so yesterday we did a light dynamic day (there was a major time constraint)

quads - speed squats
225 x 2 x 12

hams - GHR
BW - 6
BW - 6
BW - 5

bis - preacher curls
bar with 45's - 10
bar with 50's - 8
bar with 50's - 5

there will be another exercise added on dynamic days (pause squats, 1 legged squats, etc) didn't have time for calves