Super Slow Training

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just curious if anyone has any actual experience with "Super Slow Training"?

The technical definition of super slow is something like 10 seconds up, 2 second pause, 10 seconds down. For the purposes of this I would allow even something as "fast" as 4-6 seconds up and 8-10 seconds down.

I am aware of the scientific research. Which is conflicting, and of the many different opinions on it; good and bad. What I am wondering is, who has tried it and what was your experience?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm sure someone else will chime in with a more scientific result, but I played around with it on some floor presses for a few weeks. Except super slow. Like 30 seconds down slow. I liked it and it seemed to help with strength. It certainly felt like it was working. The problem was that most people seemed to think I was struggling with the weight and wanted to help me with it. I spent as much time trying to explain what I was doing as I did working out.

But now that you've mentioned it, I kind of want to do it again.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lmao, that is exactly what I am looking for. Not for science...but experience.

I have done 4 up, 2 pause, 4 down and stuff around that, but not much slower. Lately I have been doing some exercises more slowly - particularly isolation stuff like leg extensions, side laterals, triceps push downs, etc. and then doing my compound after.

I feel it really helps increase intensity but also really helps really burn the heck out of the muscle you are working.

I also seem to be getting consistently stronger.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do something similar, with high volume. Sometimes 10 x 10s. It just helps me concentrate on that mind muscle. I swear I can feel muscle breaking down haha.

Plus it's just nice to switch it up. I try to time it while I'm on ecdy products, since I've always had great luck with high volume slow reps and ecdy. My personal bro science there.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep, I've done this twice in all my years and followed a 10 week program of exactly this- I feel like I read about it somewhere using this cadence. We all know about TUT, but this is brutal.

My experience was that I saw a very noticeable difference in hypertrophy, but also a decline in strength and my joints ached. I wouldn't do it again because there are more effective programs for this like 10x10. And before you ask why I did it twice if I lost strength and was sore all the time, it was to test it with increased caloric intake the second time, but I had the same results.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yep, I've done this twice in all my years and followed a 10 week program of exactly this- I feel like I read about it somewhere using this cadence. We all know about TUT, but this is brutal.

My experience was that I saw a very noticeable difference in hypertrophy, but also a decline in strength and my joints ached. I wouldn't do it again because there are more effective programs for this like 10x10. And before you ask why I did it twice if I lost strength and was sore all the time, it was to test it with increased caloric intake the second time, but I had the same results.
Interesting experience. I don't see it as a program per se, but the cadence as a tool. Right now I am using it on some exercises, but not all. Squats, deads and even leg presses don't lend themselves to slow reps. Surprisingly I get good effects from the bench going slow.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My first go round with HIT i employed the 30 second down negative only type of super slow, ala ellington darden. Certainly made me sore! Had good results with my training in general at that time, but i only did the super slow with 1 exercise per workout and used it as a plateau buster.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting experience. I don't see it as a program per se, but the cadence as a tool. Right now I am using it on some exercises, but not all. Squats, deads and even leg presses don't lend themselves to slow reps. Surprisingly I get good effects from the bench going slow.
Actually squats and especially leg press are perfect for this.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My first go round with HIT i employed the 30 second down negative only type of super slow, ala ellington darden. Certainly made me sore! Had good results with my training in general at that time, but i only did the super slow with 1 exercise per workout and used it as a plateau buster.
30 seconds??? Wow. That is super slow. Must get old fast. How do you keep count of your reps when you have to count to 30, 40, etc. Between each rep?

Actually squats and especially leg press are perfect for this.
I cannot imagine. Something about my engram for them I guess. Maybe I need to just lighten the load and give it a shot...

What I have found is doing a set of super slow leg extensions superset with deep hack squats at slightly slower than normal speed=brutality.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
When i did the super slow, it was negative only. And its been a while, and i cant quite remember but i think i only did 1-3 negatives. Only really worked cor single leg extensions and things like that, or if you have a machine with pedals like a chest press machine, like to pish the weight back up with your feet after hitting the bottom.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
When i did the super slow, it was negative only. And its been a while, and i cant quite remember but i think i only did 1-3 negatives. Only really worked cor single leg extensions and things like that, or if you have a machine with pedals like a chest press machine, like to pish the weight back up with your feet after hitting the bottom.
Oh, that's more like forced negatives or negative only training. You can do that with a leg press too...press it up with both legs, lower with one real slow.

Or a spotter or two can help lift a weight you cannot lift on your own and then let you lower it. Good luck finding a reliable, high intensity partner to spot you.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Oh, i also did the super slow, 30 seconds each phase, in 1.5 rep per exercise format. Now that i think about it, thats what i did the most of. 90 seconds total, over the course of 1.5 reps.

Been forever since i read darden. Might be time to refresh.

You familiar with drew baye at all?

Not many resources out there for HIT methodology.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Oh, i also did the super slow, 30 seconds each phase, in 1.5 rep per exercise format. Now that i think about it, thats what i did the most of. 90 seconds total, over the course of 1.5 reps.

Been forever since i read darden. Might be time to refresh.

You familiar with drew baye at all?

Not many resources out there for HIT methodology.
I am aware of Drew Bayer but not really familiar. Darden I have read a few books and some articles.