I'm a Carnivore

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,
I have been a carnivore since 23rd April 2018

I used to compete in powerlifting and my best lifts were a 260kg squat (in 2.5m wraps), a 135kg bench press and a 282.5kg deadlift at 75kg body weight. I used steroids to achieve this. I did not set foot in the gym for 2 years after this to focus on my career and this is my 5th week training again. I am doing this completely natural now, without any sort of PED, and with a carnivorous diet

I have started this log because I realise that it is not often someone goes 100% carnivorous and some people might want to see what happens.
I am taking my training extremely cautiously at the moment and deliberately progressing slowly. I do not wish to hurt myself, especially as I am likely still very strong and pushing too hard too soon might cause injury. So - the weights I am using are very small. However they are going to increase quickly.

My diet day to day is 1-1.5kg of beef a day. This is usually ground beef, BBQ'd brisket or ribs, steaks of various kinds and beef liver. I sometimes eat chicken or fish but I get very hungry very quickly again if I don't eat beef or lamb.

This is my training split. My goal is to gain muscle and strength, probably the same goal as most people here.

Squat: Up to 1 top set
Lying hamstrings curls: 5 sets 10-15 reps
Smith squats: 7 sets 12-15 reps
Leg extensions: 3 sets 12-15 reps
Calves: 6 sets, 8-12 reps

Bench: Up to 1 top set
Incline DB bench: 5 sets 8-12 reps
Hex press: 3 sets 8-12 reps
Biceps curls: 4 sets 8-15 reps
French press: 3 sets 10-14 reps
Hammer curls: 3 sets 8-15 reps
Laying triceps: 2 sets 10-14 reps

Deadlift: Up to 1 top set
RDL: 5 sets 6-10 reps
Pulldowns: 7 sets 6-20 reps
Rows: 7 sets 6-20 reps
Upright rows: 8 sets 10-12 reps
Calves: 6 sets, 8-12 reps

Overhead press: Up to 1 top set
Ring dips: 3 sets 8-12 reps
Face Pulls: 8 sets 10-12 reps
Biceps curls: 4 sets 8-15 reps
French press: 3 sets 10-14 reps
Hammer curls: 3 sets 8-15 reps
Laying triceps: 2 sets 10-14 reps

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
This was 3 weeks ago:
WXLNNTj.jpg

This was earlier this week:

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
This weeks main lifts:

Squat: 72.5kg for 3
Bench Press: 52.5kg for 15
Deadlift: 105kg for 5
Overhead Press: 35kg for 11

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm in. Wanna see what happens!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gonna invite some guys who I bet may be interested:

Diet based 100% on meat:
rtmilburn , MrKleen73 , Nac , Whisky , HIT4ME , SFreed , kenpoengineer , justhere4comm

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In! I remember a joe Rogan podcast with a carnivore. Very intriguing to say the least.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Really glad I was tagged! In for your progress. Thanks hairygrandpa for thinking of me. :)

Also, I think the fat in the meats you're eating are making you more satiated than the fish and chicken. That's what I am finding. The problem for me is eating. Some days I can go all day without any food and not notice I forgot to eat. That becomes a problem. I'm migrating from keto-to-carb-cycling, but it's hard to break out of keto for me. Once I hit the gym again, I think it will be a lot easier.

You've got a lot of support here!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll follow along.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the tag hairygrandpa! I am in before OP dies from meat poisoning or some such thing.

OP - just so you know ahead of time, I am a sarcastic jerk. Don't take me seriously.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’ve literally never seen this - defo in (thanks hairygrandpa)

Op - any supps to cover the micronutrient gaps?

Good luck on this journey - hope to see those lifts back up there soon

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Op - any supps to cover the micronutrient gaps?

Good luck on this journey - hope to see those lifts back up there soon
Highly recommend listening to Joe Rogan podcast #1050 with Shawn Baker.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Me neither. I've always been a proponent of meat being extremely nutritious but eliminating everything else entirely never even crossed my mind. I guess I was fairly close with the PSMF. Eggs, meat, protein powders and beef jerky were the bulk of what I ate. Not sure if dairy would be completely eliminated with this?

I mean, I have no doubt I could thrive on a bacon and burger diet for quite a while and for a long while it would feel like I was just going on vacation to a place that ran out of buns. But I'd still feel like I was letting go.

Not sure it would last forever though.

I once got a HUGE container of slim Jim's as a Christmas fat present in college. It was ginormous. I ate so many slim Jim's that semester...I got sick of them. 16 years later I still don't really like slim Jim's anymore.

Maybe that's the trick to the diet? Haha.

Curiousmonkey

Curiousmonkey

Awards
Bro why don’t you just supplement you diet with greens powder? I could only see it benefit you

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey I’m just saying. A strict carnivore diet is just that. Is it not???
Yeah, but I'm just saying that, obviously, having sufficient micronutrient intake is orders of magnitude than being able to say "I'm a complete 100% carnivore." It's just silly. So you can't even ever have a burger, or even have any number of sauces on your meat, as lots of sauces use ingredients derived from non-animal (see plant) sources. Also, no seasoning, since spices and herbs are not animal products, therefore consuming them would also ruin your 100% carnivore diet, which, when taken to such an extreme, is good for nothing other than saying "look at me."

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, but I'm just saying that, obviously, having sufficient micronutrient intake is orders of magnitude than being able to say "I'm a complete 100% carnivore." It's just silly. So you can't even ever have a burger, or even have any number of sauces on your meat, as lots of sauces use ingredients derived from non-animal (see plant) sources. Also, no seasoning, since spices and herbs are not animal products, therefore consuming them would also ruin your 100% carnivore diet, which, when taken to such an extreme, is good for nothing other than saying "look at me."
"Look at me."

:)

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Correct. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong I’m merely intrigued. If a guy wants to thrive off of solely flesh, by all means go for it lol. Shawn baker has done it for (don’t quote me) about 2 years now. Dude is crazy. He doesn’t even eat every day but when he does he will consume an obscene amount of meat. No carbs, no veggies, just flesh. I’m just here to watch the show

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
"Look at me."

:)
But do you think they'd turn down a burger (with the bun and some lettuce) if you offered it to them? Or some rice, pasta, oats, potatoes, etc. Haha, let's be real man; any group of people who ate almost exclusively meat did so due to what was readily available to eat, not out of some belief that it was the healthiest option there is. I know you're just kidding though, so it's all good.
Correct. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong I’m merely intrigued. If a guy wants to thrive off of solely flesh, by all means go for it lol. Shawn baker has done it for (don’t quote me) about 2 years now. Dude is crazy. He doesn’t even eat every day but when he does he will consume an obscene amount of meat. No carbs, no veggies, just flesh. I’m just here to watch the show
What about seasoning/spices/sauces? Any herbs would technically not be meat/flesh, so would invalidate the "100% carnivore thing" if we want to be ULTRA technical.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
But do you think they'd turn down a burger (with the bun and some lettuce) if you offered it to them? Or some rice, pasta, oats, potatoes, etc. Haha, let's be real man; any group of people who ate almost exclusively meat did so due to what was readily available to eat, not out of some belief that it was the healthiest option there is. I know you're just kidding though, so it's all good.

What about seasoning/spices/sauces? Any herbs would technically not be meat/flesh, so would invalidate the "100% carnivore thing" if we want to be ULTRA technical.
Yes that is 100% correct. That’s what I meant in my previous post, just wasn’t very clear. Trex has no such luxuries. OP has a solid frame to build on Given that he hasn’t been lifting consistently as of late. I’m excited to see where this goes. Also I dont believe he mentioned if he was using seasonings or anything processed. Perhaps he can elaborate....

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,
I don't want to supplement with anything - I want to see how far this goes. I also think people will like/enjoy it more out of curiosities sake if I only eat meat

As far as dairy goes, I like cheese but I'm not cheese crazy. They have these cheese strings for kids and I really like eating one of them each day but they are not even a snack LOL.

Processed food, I eat bacon and other cured meats / sausages. I go to a butcher that does it by hand and he gives me a good deal on everything as I literally buy all my food and the wife's from him! So it's gluten and carb free

Seasonings I use salt and pepper. I cook in grass fed wagyu beef drippings (which is surprisingly cheap) or butter. I really like spicy food so a chilli pepper will find its way in my food once or twice a week. I grow my own chillis and it's winter currently so this is just dried powder usually, perhaps a teaspoon

Here are my blood test results after 5 weeks. LDL cholesterol is elevated as expected, however everything else is fine. I have no deficiencies or symptoms of vitamin / mineral deficiency. Even Vitamin D was really, really high and I am an office worker that never goes outside. I live in Australia and am a native British Islander so avoid the sun so I don't get skin cancer - I'm really pale. Vitamin D should be 60-70 at the end of summer and my Vitamin D is 85 at the start of Winter

https://imgur.com/a/jrOmA7h

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi Everyone,
I don't want to supplement with anything - I want to see how far this goes. I also think people will like/enjoy it more out of curiosities sake if I only eat meat

As far as dairy goes, I like cheese but I'm not cheese crazy. They have these cheese strings for kids and I really like eating one of them each day but they are not even a snack LOL.

Processed food, I eat bacon and other cured meats / sausages. I go to a butcher that does it by hand and he gives me a good deal on everything as I literally buy all my food and the wife's from him! So it's gluten and carb free

Seasonings I use salt and pepper. I cook in grass fed wagyu beef drippings (which is surprisingly cheap) or butter. I really like spicy food so a chilli pepper will find its way in my food once or twice a week. I grow my own chillis and it's winter currently so this is just dried powder usually, perhaps a teaspoon

Here are my blood test results after 5 weeks. LDL cholesterol is elevated as expected, however everything else is fine. I have no deficiencies or symptoms of vitamin / mineral deficiency. Even Vitamin D was really, really high and I am an office worker that never goes outside. I live in Australia and am a native British Islander so avoid the sun so I don't get skin cancer - I'm really pale. Vitamin D should be 60-70 at the end of summer and my Vitamin D is 85 at the start of Winter

This is interesting, even if it's not ideal. But you do you man. Should be good for bulking though haha. I also love spicy food and hot sauce; it makes having the same foods/meats every day much more enjoyable.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

So...would a vegetarian turn down a burger? I am not saying this is ideal, but I do find it interesting how if someone says they are vegan, most people find that totally acceptable and healthy - but doing the opposite is obviously unbalanced even though people have done that too.

I think these extreme situations can teach us a lot. Sometimes we learn something we don't expect.

And it is interesting to see what people can stick to on sheer will sometimes. It's a window into humanity itself.

Hi Everyone,

I was promised "carnivore" and now, after I've bought in, I am hearing about cheese and chili peppers? The cheese is a bend...but chili peppers are definitively not carnivore.

If this keeps up I will have to unsubscribe.

(Heavy sarcasm for muscleupchron's broken meter)

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to see if OP can gain lean mass this way. Its basically an "overly strict ketogenic diet", right?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is scurvy still a thing?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you ever seen a fat Lion?
There is this bro-science that you can't (or hardly can) gain muscles on a keto diet. Has to do with insulin response to carbs and whatnot. Wanna see if its true.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you ever seen a fat Lion?
Have you ever seen a fat pirate? Scurvy and scabbie, but not fat. Maybe there's something to this.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So...would a vegetarian turn down a burger? I am not saying this is ideal, but I do find it interesting how if someone says they are vegan, most people find that totally acceptable and healthy - but doing the opposite is obviously unbalanced even though people have done that too.

I think these extreme situations can teach us a lot. Sometimes we learn something we don't expect.

And it is interesting to see what people can stick to on sheer will sometimes. It's a window into humanity itself.

I was promised "carnivore" and now, after I've bought in, I am hearing about cheese and chili peppers? The cheese is a bend...but chili peppers are definitively not carnivore.

If this keeps up I will have to unsubscribe.

(Heavy sarcasm for muscleupchron's broken meter)
I don’t think strict 100% vegetarian is anywhere close to ideal either haha. Many people think that it is, but I don’t. Any far extreme should only be taken out of necessity. If all you have to eat is meat, then eat only meat. If your faith tells you not to eat meat, then don’t eat it, but don’t pretend that it’s the healthiest option. Moderation my friend. :)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is this bro-science that you can't (or hardly can) gain muscles on a keto diet. Has to do with insulin response to carbs and whatnot. Wanna see if its true.
I haven’t heard this. Assuming a caloric surplus and sufficient protein intake, gaining muscle is doable. Perhaps for elite level bodybuilders it could be a challenge, but it should be doable for most people.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^^ LMAO !!!!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes it is lol i knew a guy who got scurvy a couple years ago eating nothing but hot dogs and top ramen for Months lol
Did he at least cook the ramen using his dirty hot dog water for maximal gains?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don’t think strict 100% vegetarian is anywhere close to ideal either haha. Many people think that it is, but I don’t. Any far extreme should only be taken out of necessity. If all you have to eat is meat, then eat only meat. If your faith tells you not to eat meat, then don’t eat it, but don’t pretend that it’s the healthiest option. Moderation my friend. :)
Yeah, I figured that. I like to take my moderation in moderation though.

But yeah - I get what you are saying about the look at me thing. That's how I feel about vegans. And this may not be different. But this diet may at least give some gainz!!!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I figured that. I like to take my moderation in moderation though.

But this diet may at least give some gainz!!!
Or not.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
You don't need a huge insulin spike to gain muscle. The carbohydrate my body is making from gluconeogenesis is likely enough to trigger an insulin / glut4 response. My glycogen stores are full as far as I am aware - I do not feel flat and typical glycolytic activity like 8 sets of 15 reps on squats are being achieved just as easily as when I was eating a lot of carbohydrate

I think as long as glycogen stores are kept full there should be no issue with building muscle and muscle memory is giving me good strong gain so far. Bare in mind that my diet isn't "ketogenic". I may or may not be in ketosis I have no idea but that is not the point. The meat I am eating is typically 10-15% fat where as traditional ketogenic diets are 50-70% fat. I'm eating upwards of 400g of protein a day so there is likely a lot of gluconeogenesis going on to restore and add glycogen