Hydeís Strength Odyssey

Page 3 of 15 First 12345 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    They also sell those Fatgripz attachments for somebody in a commercial setting without room for a cheap strongman axle bar.
    I have a set of these, that i have used from time to time in Meadows workouts... kills the forearms for sure. I might just start working them into my optional (Saturday) workouts.. thanks man.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Something that bears repeating is the volume AND frequency is extremely low in Kubik’s system. He said a typical week would have 20-50 total sets, counting warmups for everything, over 2-3 sessions typically. Most people do that in one session. And NO isolation work is done, except maybe heavy calf raises. Everything is compound and explicitly no pump work, period. That leads to size but no extra strength.

The only high-rep work he promotes at all is 20-rep squats or pulls:

Got ya... I will have to have a look at it for sure. I need to see it laid out, it sounds interesting and if the volme is low enough then it might just be my cup of tea! Although I like my pump work for growth too! Everything in seasons right!

Figured you might want to get in on this challenge thread since you are trying to lean up... If not come support me trying!

Transformation & Physique Goal Challenge 2018! Let's get it done!!!
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html
    •   

3. 02/02/18

Today was a 10% day - felt extra strong and it showed in the lifetime PRs. 345 is 1.5x BW on the rows. All I could wish for was that I had been able to stay a bit longer!

Keg Loads
    110,160x3 triple extensions each

Sandbag Carry
    200lbs for 200ft (had to unload it from the car)

Frontsquat vs 70lbs chain
    225,275x1
    315x3 PR

Hi Bar vs 70lbs chain
    225,275,315,365,405x1

Pendlay Rows
    135,185,235,285,325,345x5 PR

Pinch grip hold
    45 bumper/hand 35-40 seconds

Kb Bent Press
    Worked up to only 61lbs/side....this is going to take some work lol
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

4. Nice work!
    Current Training Log -

5. Gotta love those days where everything feels on point!
    •   

6. Some strong mfin pendlays dude. Good stuff.
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

7. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    Some strong mfin pendlays dude. Good stuff.
    Dude no joke.
    Psalms 62:1-62:2

8. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    Some strong mfin pendlays dude. Good stuff.

02/04/18

Axle C&P
    75,135x5
    155x3
    175,185 for 3-4 singles each

Farmers Walk 100ft
    175/hand
    275 (distance PR)

Logpress
    126,146,166x5
    188x4,4,5

Hi-Handle Trapbar Deadlift
    375x20
    425x20 PR
    [email protected]

9. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post

02/04/18

Axle C&P
    75,135x5
    155x3
    175,185 for 3-4 singles each

Farmers Walk 100ft
    175/hand
    275 (distance PR)

Logpress
    126,146,166x5
    188x4,4,5

Hi-Handle Trapbar Deadlift
    375x20
    425x20 PR
    Nice workout!!!!

Contemplating getting rid of my bench / squat stand and putting in a YOKE instead. Same space, and more uses!!!! Then I can train some other strongman stuff too. I still have my power rack for the real heavy stuff if I need it.
    Current Training Log -

10. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    Nice workout!!!!

Contemplating getting rid of my bench / squat stand and putting in a YOKE instead. Same space, and more uses!!!! Then I can train some other strongman stuff too. I still have my power rack for the real heavy stuff if I need it.
    Thank you! I feel blown apart

If you arenít competing in the yoke, I wouldnít train it - there are better general strength builders, like farmers. A yoke is great as an adjustable bar to load over, and if you keep it light it can be a good implement, but Iíd be remiss not to caution you. Neck, traps, shoulders, back, discs, hips, calves, ankles, knees, quads - anything can get hurt on the yoke.
    [email protected]

11. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Thank you! I feel blown apart

If you aren’t competing in the yoke, I wouldn’t train it - there are better general strength builders, like farmers. A yoke is great as an adjustable bar to load over, and if you keep it light it can be a good implement, but I’d be remiss not to caution you. Neck, traps, shoulders, back, discs, hips, calves, ankles, knees, quads - anything can get hurt on the yoke.
    In that case, I have better things I can spend my money on. Not like I can't by a YOKE bar for less than half the price... I was looking around my garage and thinking sure it replaces some stuff but will I use it properly or just own a Yoke I use as a squat and bench rack... If the latter I have one already...

I think other than adding in some of the strong man exercises I need to get the crazy intensity stuff out of my head and focus on staying strong and healthy. I can't be strong if I am not healthy enough to push hard. I know if there is a way to end up pushing it with that thing that I would push until I found it out!!!

Thanks for the reality check, you know me well enough to know I would more than likely push that implement too far... I have a tendency to do that with intensity levels.
    Current Training Log -

12. Literally everyone I train with pushes the yoke too hard at some point. Then it bites back. Chad had to pull out of Masterís Worlds this year because his quad re-tore on a 1,000lb run that he shouldnít have been doing again til day of contest.
    [email protected]

13. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Literally everyone I train with pushes the yoke too hard at some point. Then it bites back. Chad had to pull out of Master’s Worlds this year because his quad re-tore on a 1,000lb run that he shouldn’t have been doing again til day of contest.
    It's just one of those movements that lends itself to all out effort! I love all out effort!!

I am sure that is why I have come to love the deadlift. One of the few ballz out effort lifts you can do where you can just drop the weight relatively safely if things go wrong. Yeah I know lower back this and that... I feel with my leverages and wedge that my lower back is not really getting crushed that bad... Anyway to me it is the safest of the exercises you can just give 100% to and not worry about failing because all that means is putting it back down or dropping it.
    Current Training Log -

14. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    It's just one of those movements that lends itself to all out effort! I love all out effort!!

I am sure that is why I have come to love the deadlift. One of the few ballz out effort lifts you can do where you can just drop the weight relatively safely if things go wrong. Yeah I know lower back this and that... I feel with my leverages and wedge that my lower back is not really getting crushed that bad... Anyway to me it is the safest of the exercises you can just give 100% to and not worry about failing because all that means is putting it back down or dropping it.
    You should make some sandbags. If you drop them on yourself you wonít maim anything, and if you fall carrying one you basically land on a rough beanbag.
    [email protected]

15. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    You should make some sandbags. If you drop them on yourself you won’t maim anything, and if you fall carrying one you basically land on a rough beanbag.
    I have one I made that kind of has a kettle bell handle and I occasionally throw it over head or use it as a carrying tool. It is only 95lbs but it does the trick.

I am thinking of making another one that would either be 140, or 185lbs. Using 45lb bags of pea gravel...
    Current Training Log -

16. 02/07/18

Front Squat
    275 vs 70 chain x1
    295 ^
    315 ^
    335 ^ PR

Hi Bar
    295 vs 70 x1
    335 ^
    345 vs 105 x1
    375 ^
    405 vs 105 x2 PR
    405x5

200lb Sandbag
    Shouldered x4/side
    Clean & Press x1 (took 5 attempts!)
    200ft carry

The heavy chain double on hi bar and the set of 5 after with straight weight really had me wiped. Didnít want to grind out a bunch of bs so I just picked up something awkward ftw.
    [email protected]

17. Congrats on the PRs! I really miss my old gym with chains and goodies.
    Itís easy, just pick it up.

18. PR city! Youíre gonna hit that front squat goal relatively quick bud

19. Quote Originally Posted by tyga tyga View Post
    PR city! You’re gonna hit that front squat goal relatively quick bud
    Yeah he is!!!! I gotta work on getting caught up. I hit 315 for a triple last week first time out in a while... I bet I can hit it this year for sure. @Hyde on the other hand, I see it coming sooner than later.
    Current Training Log -

20. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    Yeah he is!!!! I gotta work on getting caught up. I hit 315 for a triple last week first time out in a while... I bet I can hit it this year for sure. @Hyde on the other hand, I see it coming sooner than later.
    I think 405 is coming soon, knock on wood. I think if I deloaded next week I would probably have a very real shot at it, but I want to do at least one more 3-week wave and assess. Iíll be adding some bar weight and dropping 35 total in chain for the same 5s/triples/singles is what Iím thinking.
    [email protected]
  21. Hydeís Strength Odyssey

If youíre HBS is 405x5 your front squat of 405 for a single is coming soon. Carryover is close my friend!

Itís weird idk if itís because Iíve gotten older or humility hit me hard when I got injured but I love seeing friends progress (not that I disliked peopleís progress or tried to discredit it but I never got pumped like I have the last year)

22. Nice PRs... the deadlifts 20's the other day impressed the sh1t out of me!

23. Quote Originally Posted by tyga tyga View Post
    If youíre HBS is 405x5 your front squat of 405 for a single is coming soon. Carryover is close my friend!

Itís weird idk if itís because Iíve gotten older or humility hit me hard when I got injured but I love seeing friends progress (not that I disliked peopleís progress or tried to discredit it but I never got pumped like I have the last year)
    Thank you! It has taken much more effort than I expected, but I suppose that is all weightlifting honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by wasme View Post
    Nice PRs... the deadlifts 20's the other day impressed the sh1t out of me!
    Honestly I get so much out of those 3 extra inches the high handles give me on trap bar. When I can stay so upright it lets me just kind of sit back as I turn my chest up and load my hips like a car deadlift - and relative to other pulls, a neutral grip high deadlift seems to be a very powerful position for me indeed. You donít get the stress on the low back so I can really open the throttle all the way.
    [email protected]

24. 02/08/18

Rear Delt DB Flyes
    15s 2x20
    20s 2x20

Hammercurls
    15,20,25s x20

Bench deload
    185,205,225x5
    +yellow slingshot
    265x5

Axle Seated Military
    totally raw
    95,135,155x5
    175x3
    185x2
    195x1 PR
    +full gear
    205x2 PR
    185x3

Axle Strict Curl
    95,105,115,120x1

Duffin Rows
    135,185,225,275,315,335,355x5 PR

Chins
    2x10

The axle double tied my best barbell military now, and Iíve never rowed this amount before with any amount of English (and thereís plenty here). Good day reaching out for new heights.
    [email protected]

25. Man your back is just strong, the strong man training must be helping a lot too! Just beastly numbers there.
    Current Training Log -
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is strength loss inevitable when cutting?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 12:22 AM
  2. 5 Core Concepts of Strength Training
    By YellowJacket in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 07:52 PM
  3. Quality Strength for Human Athletic Performance
    By YellowJacket in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 07:38 PM
  4. Testing ab strength! O/T