Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

Page 2 of 37 First 1234 ... Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    Where'd chad move off to? And how long would you say your general warmup to work set #1 takes, roughly?
    He is now part owner at a huge fancy facility in Columbia, MO. He is also still employed as a head coach for Parisi’s School of Speed and Strength. We are going down to JDs Gym in STL Saturday to train with him actually.

    20-35 minutes depending on how much preparation I need.

    Quote Originally Posted by tyga tyga View Post
    Always, always have neural activations (well since I read “The Gift of Injury”) and specific activation before lifting. It’s really been the primary driver to staying healthy!
    That is exactly why I started taking it seriously. My past injury list is getting extensive and I’m only 27 with a training age of 7-8 years. Literally every time I start to get on a roll I strain something if I don’t have my body very prepared.

    In the past 8 months I have popped both left and right QLs and suffered little tears in my left hammy and bicep. All things that are fine now, but they were all lessons.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.


  2. Cold is getting worse. Had no wind even with Bronkaid & took forever to get warmed up. Skipped axle powerclean & press and barely mustered the GHR I did.

    01/25/18

    Frontsquat
    275x3
    315x3
    295+70 chain x5 PR

    Hi Bar
    345+70 x3
    395+70 x1
    295+70 x10

    GHR
    2x12
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by tyga tyga View Post
    Always, always have neural activations (well since I read “The Gift of Injury”) and specific activation before lifting. It’s really been the primary driver to staying healthy!
    I went to look at it, is this only for the back or do they go through things for the whole body? It is a $47 purchase so want to make sure it is not just back which I have not really had much issue with. Only when my pelvis is wonky.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    He is now part owner at a huge fancy facility in Columbia, MO. He is also still employed as a head coach for Parisi’s School of Speed and Strength. We are going down to JDs Gym in STL Saturday to train with him actually.

    20-35 minutes depending on how much preparation I need.



    That is exactly why I started taking it seriously. My past injury list is getting extensive and I’m only 27 with a training age of 7-8 years. Literally every time I start to get on a roll I strain something if I don’t have my body very prepared.

    In the past 8 months I have popped both left and right QLs and suffered little tears in my left hammy and bicep. All things that are fine now, but they were all lessons.
    Yeah, I am tired of being beat up myself. Sometimes I make 2 even 3 steps forward them BAM back to the beginning it seems.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Cold is getting worse. Had no wind even with Bronkaid & took forever to get warmed up. Skipped axle powerclean & press and barely mustered the GHR I did.

    01/25/18

    Frontsquat
    275x3
    315x3
    295+70 chain x5 PR

    Hi Bar
    345+70 x3
    395+70 x1
    295+70 x10

    GHR
    2x12
    Ugh... that sucks go get some antibiotics or at least an inhaler. An inhaler will definitely help around your workouts if the work makes it harder to breathe.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html
  4. Hyde’s Strength Odyssey


    01/27/18

    Drove down to STL to meet Chad Coy for a training session. He is always good for a serious push - Chad will help ANYONE, but you better not puss out. A true leader.

    Axle Clean & Press
    75,125,175,175,195x3
    215x1 PR
    225x1 PR

    Logpress
    90,140,160,180x3
    200x2

    Axle Standing Overhead Tricep Lockouts
    5s up thru 215

    Deficit Frame Deadlift (~hi handles on a trap bar height)
    290,390,470,520x3
    550x1

    Keg Load ~58in
    200 for 3 singles playing around

    Frame Carry 50ft
    Runs up thru 590 PR
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    01/27/18

    Drove down to STL to meet Chad Coy for a training session. He is always good for a serious push - Chad will help ANYONE, but you better not puss out. A true leader.

    Axle Clean & Press
    75,125,175,175,195x3
    215x1 PR
    225x1 PR

    Logpress
    90,140,160,180x3
    200x2

    Axle Standing Overhead Tricep Lockouts
    5s up thru 215

    Deficit Frame Deadlift (~hi handles on a trap bar height)
    290,390,470,520x3
    550x1

    Keg Load ~58in
    200 for 3 singles playing around

    Frame Carry 50ft
    Runs up thru 590 PR
    Great Lift and Congrats on the PR then besting it with another!!!!

    I have really been getting interested in Strong Man training. Just looks like so much fun. I am going to have to invest in a 3 month membership at the only place right around here that really does it. See if going once or twice a week would be worthwhile, or get me addicted. LOL Actually contemplating getting rid of my squat / bench stand to put a Yoke in there instead. It can do both of those things as well!
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html
    •   
       


  6. Nice job on the PRs bro.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    Great Lift and Congrats on the PR then besting it with another!!!!

    I have really been getting interested in Strong Man training. Just looks like so much fun. I am going to have to invest in a 3 month membership at the only place right around here that really does it. See if going once or twice a week would be worthwhile, or get me addicted. LOL Actually contemplating getting rid of my squat / bench stand to put a Yoke in there instead. It can do both of those things as well!
    Thank you. For some reason my power clean was weak and just wasn’t happening, BUT my body instantly figured out how to continental clean it somehow. I spent 6 weeks struggling and failing to master the continental last August and suddenly I can just hit 225 continental absolutely no problem? I assume building my powerclean this last month transferred over.

    Strongman training is for everyone, in moderation. Many qualities of the sport will help you live a stronger more capable life. Things like grip back hip and core strength, and work capacity. However, the competition is more damaging than powerlifting, easily. It is flat out dangerous, and crazy prone to injury. I watched 2-3 bicep tears at the open LOCAL show we went to in Kentucky with like 60 people. People powerlift inbetween blocks of event training to “take a break”.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  8. 01/28/18

    Gfs birthday - today was just a fun free-for-all in the gym to celebrate with lifting and baked goods!

    Shoulder Warmup

    Floorpress
    Worked up to 215,230,245,260,265x3

    Yoke
    370,420,470,510 x60-80ft beltless

    Startrac Shoulder Press
    135/side x10
    155x10
    160x8
    180x5, 4

    Exergenie Truckpull Harness
    4x50ft passes w/ increasing resistance

    After training my gf and I had to load a 350lb Sandbag into a dumpster. Took us 3 max effort attempts, but we conquered it!



    This is why I know she’s the one. Also, yesterday she rowed the 100lb dbs for sets of 5 with straps
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    01/28/18

    Gfs birthday - today was just a fun free-for-all in the gym to celebrate with lifting and baked goods!

    Shoulder Warmup

    Floorpress
    Worked up to 215,230,245,260,265x3

    Yoke
    370,420,470,510 x60-80ft beltless

    Startrac Shoulder Press
    135/side x10
    155x10
    160x8
    180x5, 4

    Exergenie Truckpull Harness
    4x50ft passes w/ increasing resistance

    After training my gf and I had to load a 350lb Sandbag into a dumpster. Took us 3 max effort attempts, but we conquered it!



    This is why I know she’s the one. Also, yesterday she rowed the 100lb dbs for sets of 5 with straps
    Looks like true love to me!
    Pro God, Pro Gun, Pro Life.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    01/28/18

    Gfs birthday - today was just a fun free-for-all in the gym to celebrate with lifting and baked goods!

    Shoulder Warmup

    Floorpress
    Worked up to 215,230,245,260,265x3

    Yoke
    370,420,470,510 x60-80ft beltless

    Startrac Shoulder Press
    135/side x10
    155x10
    160x8
    180x5, 4

    Exergenie Truckpull Harness
    4x50ft passes w/ increasing resistance

    After training my gf and I had to load a 350lb Sandbag into a dumpster. Took us 3 max effort attempts, but we conquered it!



    This is why I know she’s the one. Also, yesterday she rowed the 100lb dbs for sets of 5 with straps
    Tell Jess i say belated happy bday buddy! I know ive said it before but im happy for ya pal, shes a cool chick. Those who sandbag load together stay together...i think thats how it goes?
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

  11. Happy Birthday to your gf!

  12. Thank you for the kind words, fellas! She is my best friend, no doubt.

    I am feeling beat up after this weekend!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  13. She definitely had the better form on that sandbag lift. Get it together Clayton!

    Wow hit the hundos for 5 huh, that is bad ass! Send her my belated birthday wishes.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html

  14. Came across a post by Josh Bryant from a while back mentioning various training methodologies. Been reading Brooks Kubik’s DINOSAUR TRAINING today:



    Brooks is a true believer in the Iron Game, as he calls it. I don’t agree with everything he says, but I have been enjoying the read immensely.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  15. I’ve been looking for a copy of his Gray Hair and Black Iron book. As an older lifter, I’ve read good reviews of his methods.
    May I suggest using this app to track your bloodwork tests:
    myBloodTracker for IPhone and IPad
    https://appsto.re/us/vvMndb.i

  16. Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    I’ve been looking for a copy of his Gray Hair and Black Iron book. As an older lifter, I’ve read good reviews of his methods.
    Give me a little time I bet I can come up with a copy.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html

  17. I just googled Dinosaur Training PDF and wham, copied to my iBooks in 5 seconds. Still loving it.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  18. 01/31/18

    Rear DB Flyes
    15s 2x20, 20s 2x20

    Hammercurls
    15,20,25,30s x20

    SSB Parallel Boxsquat
    242 vs Light Bands
    8x2

    Axle SLDL mixed grip
    265x1x30 rest pause (12+8+5+5)

    Bench touch ‘n go
    175x12
    205x10
    235x12

    Axle Seated Military
    95,115,135,145,155,165x6
    175x5

    Axle Strict Curl
    95,105,115,115 for singles

    Ab Wheel Rollout
    2x12

    The axle work was inspired by Dinosaur Training, and was a very fun twist. My forearms are blasted. That 30 rep SLDL with the axle, however, was truly brutal.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  19. I’ve been adding pinwheel and hammer curls to my whatever days and hits helped tremendously on my elbow-itis I got going on (you mentioned hammers helped yours so I incorporated it).
    Psalms 62:1-62:2

  20. I will have to look up the axle movements. Sounds brutal.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by tyga tyga View Post
    I’ve been adding pinwheel and hammer curls to my whatever days and hits helped tremendously on my elbow-itis I got going on (you mentioned hammers helped yours so I incorporated it).
    I can’t remember the first time I heard of it, but HerderDude had good luck with it and when he was at a seminar with Swede Burns and Brandon Lilly they both said that was their go-to solution.

    My working theory is the light high-rep cross-body hammers are pulling blood into forearms, biceps, and delts (you want a tad bit of delt English to get that pumping) so the shoulders are getting warm without the range of movements any other shoulder warmup requires. Anyone can make time for 2x20-30 with some 15-25lb dbs at the start of a squat or pressing session. Takes 1 minute total.

    Quote Originally Posted by wasme View Post
    I will have to look up the axle movements. Sounds brutal.
    Brooks believes almost all upper body work should be done with a thick bar, 2-3” in diameter, to build grip/forearm strength. Definitely makes curling and pressing a bit harder. Ours is 2” I believe and still makes a good difference. They also sell those Fatgripz attachments for somebody in a commercial setting without room for a cheap strongman axle bar.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  22. So is Dinosaur Strength a book for older lifters or just a throwback name referring to keeping things basic and effective?
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html

  23. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    So is Dinosaur Strength a book for older lifters or just a throwback name referring to keeping things basic and effective?
    Throwback to when lifting was about raw strength, to methods before steroids and powerlifting gear and the advent of bodybuilding.

    He believes in training 2-4x wk for short sessions with only 2-4 movements basically as hard as possible in whatever rep ranges you choose. He believes in belts and good technique but no other gear, no steroids, and minimal volume. Working to a max daily single, one 20-rep deathset, heavy 5x5 all fall into the Dinosaur ideology. A widow maker squat set followed by working to a max on axle bench and then 1-2 brutal sets of a 6 rep pulldown in 45 minutes would be Dinosaur Training. He might also toss in some grip work and abs or calves that day.

    Another session might be sandbag clean and press followed by farmers walks.

    Kubiks believes you should be working so hard for a top set that you cannot really do more work. Things like pump work should be unnecessary if you train balls out. If there is one constant, it’s RPE 10 every session with low volume and infrequent abbreviated sessions.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Throwback to when lifting was about raw strength, to methods before steroids and powerlifting gear and the advent of bodybuilding.

    He believes in training 2-4x wk for short sessions with only 2-4 movements basically as hard as possible in whatever rep ranges you choose. He believes in belts and good technique but no other gear, no steroids, and minimal volume. Working to a max daily single, one 20-rep deathset, heavy 5x5 all fall into the Dinosaur ideology. A widow maker squat set followed by working to a max on axle bench and then 1-2 brutal sets of a 6 rep pulldown in 45 minutes would be Dinosaur Training. He might also toss in some grip work and abs or calves that day.

    Another session might be sandbag clean and press followed by farmers walks.

    Kubiks believes you should be working so hard for a top set that you cannot really do more work. Things like pump work should be unnecessary if you train balls out. If there is one constant, it’s RPE 10 every session with low volume and infrequent abbreviated sessions.
    Again sounds a lot like my old training but I beat myself to death with it. Perhaps with SMR and mobility being paid attention too I could do so. Then again like all my pump sets go to form failure and many go into total failure where even pulsing in the shortest ROM becomes almost impossible.

    The Massive Iron book I read is very similar regarding getting the most out of every set performed, and everything is to a 10, IE no more reps could be done without cheating horribly. Which is what I have been doing on most things. Couldn't do it on chest movements the other day but went to a 9 twice then a 10.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html
  25. Hyde’s Strength Odyssey


    Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    Again sounds a lot like my old training but I beat myself to death with it. Perhaps with SMR and mobility being paid attention too I could do so. Then again like all my pump sets go to form failure and many go into total failure where even pulsing in the shortest ROM becomes almost impossible.
    Something that bears repeating is the volume AND frequency is extremely low in Kubik’s system. He said a typical week would have 20-50 total sets, counting warmups for everything, over 2-3 sessions typically. Most people do that in one session. And NO isolation work is done, except maybe heavy calf raises. Everything is compound and explicitly no pump work, period. That leads to size but no extra strength.

    The only high-rep work he promotes at all is 20-rep squats or pulls:

    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Is strength loss inevitable when cutting?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 01:22 AM
  2. 5 Core Concepts of Strength Training
    By YellowJacket in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 08:52 PM
  3. Quality Strength for Human Athletic Performance
    By YellowJacket in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 08:38 PM
  4. Testing ab strength! O/T
    By whale in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 04:02 PM
  5. ph/ps for strength?
    By Matt T in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-22-2002, 04:37 PM
Log in
Log in