The Journey Continues.......

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. The Journey Continues.......

So as the title states, this will just be a training log as I continue to better myself and say **** off to the dad bod.

2. Today's training

Nice leg pump today.

Ssb squats
    155x8
    195x2x8
    235x2x8

Belt squats
    90x10
    180x2x10
    280x2x10

Nautilus pulldowns
    90x5x10

Sumo deads
    155x5
    243x2x5

Ez bar curls
    50x10
    60x10
    70x8
    80x2x5

Db hammer curls
    45x3x5

22 min on the ellpical
    •   

3. Nice work keep it consistent!

4. Can i ask what the point of the hammers and ez curls are? Not enough time under tension to be worth anything id just do 2 more leg exercises and leave the arms for a full session

5. Quote Originally Posted by agnos View Post
    Can i ask what the point of the hammers and ez curls are? Not enough time under tension to be worth anything id just do 2 more leg exercises and leave the arms for a full session
    I paid thing together to hit everything twice a week.
    Squat day pairs with back work and heavy biceps
    Bench day pairs with shoulder work and light triceps work but with volume.
    Deaflift day pairs with leg work and light bicep
    Overhead press pairs with chest and heavy bicep work.

Keeping it to 4 lifting days also allows me a off day and two solo cardio days. Usually used for sprint work.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by agnos View Post
    Can i ask what the point of the hammers and ez curls are? Not enough time under tension to be worth anything id just do 2 more leg exercises and leave the arms for a full session
    uh in what world does 8 sets not do anything for a muscle?... as well, working a small muscle group with a large one like legs allows you to utilize the massive gh and test release your body naturally has during a really hard/heavy workout on a bod part like that... you're basically maximizing the overall effect for use on a smaller muscle, which doesn't require the same level effort to hit anyways...
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Product Rep - db77 @ seriousnutritionsolutions.com

7. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    uh in what world does 8 sets not do anything for a muscle?... as well, working a small muscle group with a large one like legs allows you to utilize the massive gh and test release your body naturally has during a really hard/heavy workout on a bod part like that... you're basically maximizing the overall effect for use on a smaller muscle, which doesn't require the same level effort to hit anyways...
    In my world.. and in reality what is a 30 min spike of test going to do? And isnt gh released in the first hours of sleep? The biceps are made of 60/40 split slow and fast fibres which means u need an even split of heavy and high-med rep range so no to everything basically

8. Quote Originally Posted by agnos View Post
    In my world.. and in reality what is a 30 min spike of test going to do? And isnt gh released in the first hours of sleep? The biceps are made of 60/40 split slow and fast fibres which means u need an even split of heavy and high-med rep range so no to everything basically
    i think you need to go read up on how muscle building works some more... theres a whole lot more to it than just fast/slow twitch fibers and their "ideal" rep ranges... that's maybe at best 10% of the equation and not even the most important (would put diet and any type of stimulus before them).

And yes, gh is released during sleep (REM cycles tho), but along with sleep, exercise is the other major gh release factor. Pair that with increased test, IGF release, the damage inflicted on the muscle from heavy training (even in low volume), the body's ability to absorb and utilize nutrients more efficiently in a post workout state (i.e. increased MPS and resythesis), and the overall stimulus and yes, you WILL build muscle from that.

9. Bench
    135x8
    165x2c8
    155x8
    145x8

Incline db press
    65x5
    70x5
    75x5

Db upright rows
    20x10
    25x2x10
    30x2x10

Facepulls
    70x2x10
    80x10
    100x2x10

Front raises ss with side raises
    10x10
    12x10
    20x2x10

Plate Loaded pressdowns
    50x10
    70x10
    80x10
    50x20

Db skull crushes
    20x10
    30x2x10

20 min cardio

10. @silentsavage0523 can you give us a rundown of your split and what your diet looks like now? Curious to see what you do differently and how the results pan out for comparison

11. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    @silentsavage0523 can you give us a rundown of your split and what your diet looks like now? Curious to see what you do differently and how the results pan out for comparison
    I pair certain things together to hit everything twice a week.

Diet wise I will be going low carb for the first two weeks, and depending on how everything is going body comp and strength in the gym is going i will put a little bit of carbs in here and there and will only be around training days.

12. Quote Originally Posted by SilentSavage0523 View Post

Diet wise I will be going low carb for the first two weeks, and depending on how everything is going body comp and strength in the gym is going i will put a little bit of carbs in here and there and will only be around training days.
    thanks! total cals?

i like the layout with the main lift and then accessory work. very similar to how I program a lot of my stuff as well. do you have a progression scheme or plan for sets/reps or just stick to a certain range for awhile?

13. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    thanks! total cals?

i like the layout with the main lift and then accessory work. very similar to how I program a lot of my stuff as well. do you have a progression scheme or plan for sets/reps or just stick to a certain range for awhile?
    Still making adjustments on total calories. They have been a bit low for what I like.
    Reps for main lifts are
    5x8
    8x5
    10x3,
    With accessory work depending. I am working out if I want to do 4 weeks of each progression or if I want to rotate, such as
    Weeks 1-4, would be 5x8, then week 5-8 would be 8x5, or go
    Week 1, 5x8
    Week 2 8x5
    Week 3 10x3, and so on

14. Quote Originally Posted by SilentSavage0523 View Post
    Still making adjustments on total calories. They have been a bit low for what I like.
    Reps for main lifts are
    5x8
    8x5
    10x3,
    With accessory work depending. I am working out if I want to do 4 weeks of each progression or if I want to rotate, such as
    Weeks 1-4, would be 5x8, then week 5-8 would be 8x5, or go
    Week 1, 5x8
    Week 2 8x5
    Week 3 10x3, and so on
    if you're in full on cutting mode, I'd go with the 8/5/3-8/5/3... rotation vs 8/8/8/8/5/5/5/5/3/3/3/3. Reason being would be that since you're cutting it will be a bit harder to keep strength as well as not fatigue your cns, so you'd want to keep a more of a wave of rep ranges vs getting lower and lower as you get deeper (and your body is already more strained and recovering slower just from low cals). I'd think the wave would help keep more of a balance and the "lighter" weeks (8 reps) could even be used as a semi-deload by maybe not going all the way to failure or something just to help with recovery

15. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    if you're in full on cutting mode, I'd go with the 8/5/3-8/5/3... rotation vs 8/8/8/8/5/5/5/5/3/3/3/3. Reason being would be that since you're cutting it will be a bit harder to keep strength as well as not fatigue your cns, so you'd want to keep a more of a wave of rep ranges vs getting lower and lower as you get deeper (and your body is already more strained and recovering slower just from low cals). I'd think the wave would help keep more of a balance and the "lighter" weeks (8 reps) could even be used as a semi-deload by maybe not going all the way to failure or something just to help with recovery
    That was kinda my thought and just go with the waves.

16. Figured I would also throw up a picture kinda as a start point for this log.

17. Quote Originally Posted by agnos View Post
    Added volume and frequency...
    Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    Fact
    Quote Originally Posted by agnos View Post
    At least just in your world. Being condescending and wrong at the same time has to suck... Biceps work in any range, any time you train them you add either volume, and or frequency, both have a MUCH LARGER growth stimulus than TUT. "So no to everything basically" LMFAO try not to be condescending to people it just stings worse when you are not correct. Plus why be a douche about things...

Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    i think you need to go read up on how muscle building works some more... theres a whole lot more to it than just fast/slow twitch fibers and their "ideal" rep ranges... that's maybe at best 10% of the equation and not even the most important (would put diet and any type of stimulus before them).

And yes, gh is released during sleep (REM cycles tho), but along with sleep, exercise is the other major gh release factor. Pair that with increased test, IGF release, the damage inflicted on the muscle from heavy training (even in low volume), the body's ability to absorb and utilize nutrients more efficiently in a post workout state (i.e. increased MPS and resythesis), and the overall stimulus and yes, you WILL build muscle from that.
    AMEN!!! So much he isn't factoring in. When training for hypertrophy, muscle fiber type is actually of minimal importance compared to achieving quality effective reps at any resistance level or rep range.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSavage0523 View Post

Dude, your Squat and back day... you pick the 2 largest and strongest body parts to put together in one training session? You Sir, are a glutton for punishment.

I noticed above you mentioned that your calories have been a bit low for your taste, this was during the coach led cut. If you intend to increase calories, how do you intend to create the deficit? What type of activities will you be increasing to make up for that increase?
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html

18. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    Added volume and frequency...

Fact

At least just in your world. Being condescending and wrong at the same time has to suck... Biceps work in any range, any time you train them you add either volume, and or frequency, both have a MUCH LARGER growth stimulus than TUT. "So no to everything basically" LMFAO try not to be condescending to people it just stings worse when you are not correct. Plus why be a douche about things...

AMEN!!! So much he isn't factoring in. When training for hypertrophy, muscle fiber type is actually of minimal importance compared to achieving quality effective reps at any resistance level or rep range.

Dude, your Squat and back day... you pick the 2 largest and strongest body parts to put together in one training session? You Sir, are a glutton for punishment.

I noticed above you mentioned that your calories have been a bit low for your taste, this was during the coach led cut. If you intend to increase calories, how do you intend to create the deficit? What type of activities will you be increasing to make up for that increase?
    I meant since I took over the diet for myself. For example the first day or so, I ate what I had planned out and didn't over eat anything or eat wasn't in the plan and it only came out to be around 1100 calories, which is low to be starting out. Ideally i want to be around 1900 or so. I will just have my carbs down here I want them and where I tried to get the coach to put them for 13 weeks. So we will see how it goes.

19. Quote Originally Posted by SilentSavage0523 View Post
    I meant since I took over the diet for myself. For example the first day or so, I ate what I had planned out and didn't over eat anything or eat wasn't in the plan and it only came out to be around 1100 calories, which is low to be starting out. Ideally i want to be around 1900 or so. I will just have my carbs down here I want them and where I tried to get the coach to put them for 13 weeks. So we will see how it goes.
    If just a short bout you might try a 2 week period of high fat keto... Just keep protein around 100-150g then get the other 1500+ cals from healthy fat sources. The lower protein gives less substrate for the body to feed off of. Forcing fat burning while still supplying enough protein to drive synthesis.
    Current Training Log -

20. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    If just a short bout you might try a 2 week period of high fat keto... Just keep protein around 100-150g then get the other 1500+ cals from healthy fat sources. The lower protein gives less substrate for the body to feed off of. Forcing fat burning while still supplying enough protein to drive synthesis.
    That's the plan. I do best going keto. Don't get all the cravings I get when I have carbs, even small bits.

21. Quote Originally Posted by SilentSavage0523 View Post
    That's the plan. I do best going keto. Don't get all the cravings I get when I have carbs, even small bits.
    So you normally run your protein between 100-150 when on keto? Most I know tend to run protein higher when on keto.
    Current Training Log -

22. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    So you normally run your protein between 100-150 when on keto? Most I know tend to run protein higher when on keto.
    I usually run protein lower than fat when doing keto. I will have to look at my macro pertcentage breakdowns but ibthink protein is around 100

23. Deadlifts
    225x4x8
    275x8

Belt squats
    270x5
    360x4x5

Good mornings
    105x3x5

Leg ext
    90x3x10

Leg curls
    70x3x10

Standing calf raises
    150x5x10

Ez bar curls
    50x10
    60x2x10
    70x2x10

Db hammer curls
    30x4x10
    25x15

25 min cardio

24. Belt squats? what are these?

25. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    Belt squats? what are these?
    Oh so this lucky fugger has a belt squat machine too!!! I got to work on Jimbos and really enjoyed it. Basically it is a cabled squat machine you stand up on some risers and there is a cable that comes up between your legs that you attach a belt too. Then you drape the belt over your glutes and down inside the adductors and just squat. It puts all of the resistance at the hips and quads. Great if you are in a position where you do not want to compress your spine but still want to work the squats.
    Current Training Log -
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Hayward bound the journey continues
    By Merk in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 10:37 PM
  2. And the journey begins...
    By Trapstar in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 92