The Journey Continues.......

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
So as the title states, this will just be a training log as I continue to better myself and say **** off to the dad bod.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Today's training

Nice leg pump today.

Ssb squats
155x8
195x2x8
235x2x8

Belt squats
90x10
180x2x10
280x2x10

Nautilus pulldowns
90x5x10

Sumo deads
155x5
243x2x5

Ez bar curls
50x10
60x10
70x8
80x2x5

Db hammer curls
45x3x5

22 min on the ellpical

agnos

agnos

Awards
Can i ask what the point of the hammers and ez curls are? Not enough time under tension to be worth anything id just do 2 more leg exercises and leave the arms for a full session

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Can i ask what the point of the hammers and ez curls are? Not enough time under tension to be worth anything id just do 2 more leg exercises and leave the arms for a full session
I paid thing together to hit everything twice a week.
Squat day pairs with back work and heavy biceps
Bench day pairs with shoulder work and light triceps work but with volume.
Deaflift day pairs with leg work and light bicep
Overhead press pairs with chest and heavy bicep work.

Keeping it to 4 lifting days also allows me a off day and two solo cardio days. Usually used for sprint work.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
uh in what world does 8 sets not do anything for a muscle?... as well, working a small muscle group with a large one like legs allows you to utilize the massive gh and test release your body naturally has during a really hard/heavy workout on a bod part like that... you're basically maximizing the overall effect for use on a smaller muscle, which doesn't require the same level effort to hit anyways...

agnos

agnos

Awards
uh in what world does 8 sets not do anything for a muscle?... as well, working a small muscle group with a large one like legs allows you to utilize the massive gh and test release your body naturally has during a really hard/heavy workout on a bod part like that... you're basically maximizing the overall effect for use on a smaller muscle, which doesn't require the same level effort to hit anyways...
In my world.. and in reality what is a 30 min spike of test going to do? And isnt gh released in the first hours of sleep? The biceps are made of 60/40 split slow and fast fibres which means u need an even split of heavy and high-med rep range so no to everything basically

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
In my world.. and in reality what is a 30 min spike of test going to do? And isnt gh released in the first hours of sleep? The biceps are made of 60/40 split slow and fast fibres which means u need an even split of heavy and high-med rep range so no to everything basically
i think you need to go read up on how muscle building works some more... theres a whole lot more to it than just fast/slow twitch fibers and their "ideal" rep ranges... that's maybe at best 10% of the equation and not even the most important (would put diet and any type of stimulus before them).

And yes, gh is released during sleep (REM cycles tho), but along with sleep, exercise is the other major gh release factor. Pair that with increased test, IGF release, the damage inflicted on the muscle from heavy training (even in low volume), the body's ability to absorb and utilize nutrients more efficiently in a post workout state (i.e. increased MPS and resythesis), and the overall stimulus and yes, you WILL build muscle from that.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Bench
135x8
165x2c8
155x8
145x8

Incline db press
65x5
70x5
75x5

Db upright rows
20x10
25x2x10
30x2x10

Facepulls
70x2x10
80x10
100x2x10

Front raises ss with side raises
10x10
12x10
20x2x10

Plate Loaded pressdowns
50x10
70x10
80x10
50x20

Db skull crushes
20x10
30x2x10

20 min cardio

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
silentsavage0523 can you give us a rundown of your split and what your diet looks like now? Curious to see what you do differently and how the results pan out for comparison

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
silentsavage0523 can you give us a rundown of your split and what your diet looks like now? Curious to see what you do differently and how the results pan out for comparison
I pair certain things together to hit everything twice a week.

Diet wise I will be going low carb for the first two weeks, and depending on how everything is going body comp and strength in the gym is going i will put a little bit of carbs in here and there and will only be around training days.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

Diet wise I will be going low carb for the first two weeks, and depending on how everything is going body comp and strength in the gym is going i will put a little bit of carbs in here and there and will only be around training days.
thanks! total cals?

i like the layout with the main lift and then accessory work. very similar to how I program a lot of my stuff as well. do you have a progression scheme or plan for sets/reps or just stick to a certain range for awhile?

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
thanks! total cals?

i like the layout with the main lift and then accessory work. very similar to how I program a lot of my stuff as well. do you have a progression scheme or plan for sets/reps or just stick to a certain range for awhile?
Still making adjustments on total calories. They have been a bit low for what I like.
Reps for main lifts are
5x8
8x5
10x3,
With accessory work depending. I am working out if I want to do 4 weeks of each progression or if I want to rotate, such as
Weeks 1-4, would be 5x8, then week 5-8 would be 8x5, or go
Week 1, 5x8
Week 2 8x5
Week 3 10x3, and so on

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Still making adjustments on total calories. They have been a bit low for what I like.
Reps for main lifts are
5x8
8x5
10x3,
With accessory work depending. I am working out if I want to do 4 weeks of each progression or if I want to rotate, such as
Weeks 1-4, would be 5x8, then week 5-8 would be 8x5, or go
Week 1, 5x8
Week 2 8x5
Week 3 10x3, and so on
if you're in full on cutting mode, I'd go with the 8/5/3-8/5/3... rotation vs 8/8/8/8/5/5/5/5/3/3/3/3. Reason being would be that since you're cutting it will be a bit harder to keep strength as well as not fatigue your cns, so you'd want to keep a more of a wave of rep ranges vs getting lower and lower as you get deeper (and your body is already more strained and recovering slower just from low cals). I'd think the wave would help keep more of a balance and the "lighter" weeks (8 reps) could even be used as a semi-deload by maybe not going all the way to failure or something just to help with recovery

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
if you're in full on cutting mode, I'd go with the 8/5/3-8/5/3... rotation vs 8/8/8/8/5/5/5/5/3/3/3/3. Reason being would be that since you're cutting it will be a bit harder to keep strength as well as not fatigue your cns, so you'd want to keep a more of a wave of rep ranges vs getting lower and lower as you get deeper (and your body is already more strained and recovering slower just from low cals). I'd think the wave would help keep more of a balance and the "lighter" weeks (8 reps) could even be used as a semi-deload by maybe not going all the way to failure or something just to help with recovery
That was kinda my thought and just go with the waves.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Figured I would also throw up a picture kinda as a start point for this log.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Added volume and frequency...
Fact
At least just in your world. Being condescending and wrong at the same time has to suck... Biceps work in any range, any time you train them you add either volume, and or frequency, both have a MUCH LARGER growth stimulus than TUT. "So no to everything basically" LMFAO try not to be condescending to people it just stings worse when you are not correct. Plus why be a douche about things...

i think you need to go read up on how muscle building works some more... theres a whole lot more to it than just fast/slow twitch fibers and their "ideal" rep ranges... that's maybe at best 10% of the equation and not even the most important (would put diet and any type of stimulus before them).

And yes, gh is released during sleep (REM cycles tho), but along with sleep, exercise is the other major gh release factor. Pair that with increased test, IGF release, the damage inflicted on the muscle from heavy training (even in low volume), the body's ability to absorb and utilize nutrients more efficiently in a post workout state (i.e. increased MPS and resythesis), and the overall stimulus and yes, you WILL build muscle from that.
AMEN!!! So much he isn't factoring in. When training for hypertrophy, muscle fiber type is actually of minimal importance compared to achieving quality effective reps at any resistance level or rep range.

Dude, your Squat and back day... you pick the 2 largest and strongest body parts to put together in one training session? You Sir, are a glutton for punishment.

I noticed above you mentioned that your calories have been a bit low for your taste, this was during the coach led cut. If you intend to increase calories, how do you intend to create the deficit? What type of activities will you be increasing to make up for that increase?

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Added volume and frequency...

Fact

At least just in your world. Being condescending and wrong at the same time has to suck... Biceps work in any range, any time you train them you add either volume, and or frequency, both have a MUCH LARGER growth stimulus than TUT. "So no to everything basically" LMFAO try not to be condescending to people it just stings worse when you are not correct. Plus why be a douche about things...

AMEN!!! So much he isn't factoring in. When training for hypertrophy, muscle fiber type is actually of minimal importance compared to achieving quality effective reps at any resistance level or rep range.

Dude, your Squat and back day... you pick the 2 largest and strongest body parts to put together in one training session? You Sir, are a glutton for punishment.

I noticed above you mentioned that your calories have been a bit low for your taste, this was during the coach led cut. If you intend to increase calories, how do you intend to create the deficit? What type of activities will you be increasing to make up for that increase?
I meant since I took over the diet for myself. For example the first day or so, I ate what I had planned out and didn't over eat anything or eat wasn't in the plan and it only came out to be around 1100 calories, which is low to be starting out. Ideally i want to be around 1900 or so. I will just have my carbs down here I want them and where I tried to get the coach to put them for 13 weeks. So we will see how it goes.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I meant since I took over the diet for myself. For example the first day or so, I ate what I had planned out and didn't over eat anything or eat wasn't in the plan and it only came out to be around 1100 calories, which is low to be starting out. Ideally i want to be around 1900 or so. I will just have my carbs down here I want them and where I tried to get the coach to put them for 13 weeks. So we will see how it goes.
If just a short bout you might try a 2 week period of high fat keto... Just keep protein around 100-150g then get the other 1500+ cals from healthy fat sources. The lower protein gives less substrate for the body to feed off of. Forcing fat burning while still supplying enough protein to drive synthesis.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
If just a short bout you might try a 2 week period of high fat keto... Just keep protein around 100-150g then get the other 1500+ cals from healthy fat sources. The lower protein gives less substrate for the body to feed off of. Forcing fat burning while still supplying enough protein to drive synthesis.
That's the plan. I do best going keto. Don't get all the cravings I get when I have carbs, even small bits.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's the plan. I do best going keto. Don't get all the cravings I get when I have carbs, even small bits.
So you normally run your protein between 100-150 when on keto? Most I know tend to run protein higher when on keto.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
So you normally run your protein between 100-150 when on keto? Most I know tend to run protein higher when on keto.
I usually run protein lower than fat when doing keto. I will have to look at my macro pertcentage breakdowns but ibthink protein is around 100

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts
225x4x8
275x8

Belt squats
270x5
360x4x5

Good mornings
105x3x5

Leg ext
90x3x10

Leg curls
70x3x10

Standing calf raises
150x5x10

Ez bar curls
50x10
60x2x10
70x2x10

Db hammer curls
30x4x10
25x15

25 min cardio

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Belt squats? what are these?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Belt squats? what are these?
Oh so this lucky fugger has a belt squat machine too!!! I got to work on Jimbos and really enjoyed it. Basically it is a cabled squat machine you stand up on some risers and there is a cable that comes up between your legs that you attach a belt too. Then you drape the belt over your glutes and down inside the adductors and just squat. It puts all of the resistance at the hips and quads. Great if you are in a position where you do not want to compress your spine but still want to work the squats.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
This it what ours basically looks like. And is plate loaded. So weights lifted on it that I count are only plates, since not sure what the rest weighs. Also for these I go add to grass

https://youtu.be/6AUWgIuP_gk

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Oh so this lucky fugger has a belt squat machine too!!! I got to work on Jimbos and really enjoyed it. Basically it is a cabled squat machine you stand up on some risers and there is a cable that comes up between your legs that you attach a belt too. Then you drape the belt over your glutes and down inside the adductors and just squat. It puts all of the resistance at the hips and quads. Great if you are in a position where you do not want to compress your spine but still want to work the squats.
I used it while rehabbing after shoulder surgery and my arm was in a sling. Now i can squat but have to use a safety squat bar because I can't get my arm back far enough to squat with a normal bar. And now I use belt squat to supplement.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
And I got lucky with my gym. Old school style, tons of free weights, dumbbells up to 200. Platforms, and owner just tossed Smith machine to make room for third power rack.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Oh man that is awesome! It doesn't give you the full body workout that a bar squat would but damn if that wont isolate legs like a mofo. that would be especially killer after deadlifts when your back would be tired as you don't need to worry about form/back bend. Super cool

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Yea. I going high reps after squats with it and like today after deadlifts I go heavier and lower reps.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I used it while rehabbing after shoulder surgery and my arm was in a sling. Now i can squat but have to use a safety squat bar because I can't get my arm back far enough to squat with a normal bar. And now I use belt squat to supplement.
And I got lucky with my gym. Old school style, tons of free weights, dumbbells up to 200. Platforms, and owner just tossed Smith machine to make room for third power rack.
That is awesome!!! You have got to love that mentality.
Oh man that is awesome! It doesn't give you the full body workout that a bar squat would but damn if that wont isolate legs like a mofo. that would be especially killer after deadlifts when your back would be tired as you don't need to worry about form/back bend. Super cool
No doubt, lots of uses but the way the weight sits effects the legs like squatting too which is very cool.
Yea. I going high reps after squats with it and like today after deadlifts I go heavier and lower reps.
Yeah I bet once you start using them more you can come up with a lot of ideas on how to get even more out of them.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
hp
95x5x8
Arnold db presses
25x2x10
20x3x10
Incline db flyes
25x5x10
Pec dec
60x10
80x4x10
Db floor press
45x10
65x2x10
Cg bench
135x5
155x5
165x5
185x5

Ez bar skull crusher
60x5
80x2x5

Plate Loaded triceps pressdowns, seated
70x3x20

20 min cardio

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Ssb squats
235x8x5.
45 sec rest between sets.

Rack pulls
315x3x3
Below the knew and focusing on explosive pulls

Belt squats
270x5x10
As with
Ez bar curls
80x2x5
90x3x5

V bar pulldowns
120x3x12

Wide Grip Low Cable rows
100x3x12

Db hammer curls
45x3x5

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
A little toy I put together to play with. Giving a go tomorrow morning.
I just call it the sack.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Hitting up some football with guys from work this morning, but before that...

4 rounds
50m weighted carry
5 cleans with the sack
50m sprint

Not crazy but got the job done.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What/how heavy is “the sack”

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Just a 60lb concrete sack.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just a 60lb concrete sack.
Nice, I was going to ask as well. I have one I made out of 2 contractor bags 2 50lb pea gravel bags and a cotton t-shirt fabric bed sheet with some duct tape. I twisted the end of the sheet together and tape them into a handle also. That way I can use it for suitcase carries or like an overhead toss / keg toss type thing too.

I think the most bad ass workout I got out of one of those bags was just shouldering it from the floor. Try doing it 50, 75, and 100 reps at a time, alternating which shoulder you put it on to keep balance. You will be shocked, and the EPOC generate from it will have you burning fat for several hours after!!!!

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Nice, I was going to ask as well. I have one I made out of 2 contractor bags 2 50lb pea gravel bags and a cotton t-shirt fabric bed sheet with some duct tape. I twisted the end of the sheet together and tape them into a handle also. That way I can use it for suitcase carries or like an overhead toss / keg toss type thing too.

I think the most bad ass workout I got out of one of those bags was just shouldering it from the floor. Try doing it 50, 75, and 100 reps at a time, alternating which shoulder you put it on to keep balance. You will be shocked, and the EPOC generate from it will have you burning fat for several hours after!!!!
Yea I may have to add a old short around it. I will have to re tape some. With the cleans I was going over the shoulder with it, so some of my tape busted on the sides.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Bench
170x8x5
Incline db bench
70x3x5

Hammer strength shoulder press
50x3x12
Machine lat raises
80x3x12
Rear delts
50x3x12
Db skull crushers
25x3x12
Cable overhead triceps ext
70x3x12

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea I may have to add a old short around it. I will have to re tape some. With the cleans I was going over the shoulder with it, so some of my tape busted on the sides.
Yeah, it is nice having something around it. I forgot as I hadn't used it in a while, but is was just a regular bed sheet. I put it in the contractor bags then rolled it up in the sheets then tiied the ends then twisted them tight then tied them in a loop for the handle and taped that together.

Here is a pic of the 100lb beast!

_Bag pic.jpg

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it is nice having something around it. I forgot as I hadn't used it in a while, but is was just a regular bed sheet. I put it in the contractor bags then rolled it up in the sheets then tiied the ends then twisted them tight then tied them in a loop for the handle and taped that together.

Here is a pic of the 100lb beast!

View attachment 159273
Nice

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift
295x4x5
295 plus 80 lb in chains for 4 singles

https://www.instagram.com/p/BebIqq2nyWD/

Belt squats
360x5x5
Ss with
Ez bar preacher curls
55x5x12

Leg ext
100x3x12
Ss with
Leg curls
70x3x12

Cross body hammer curls
20x12
25x3x12

Barbell shrugs
225x4x8

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some good looking quads you got there brother! Lots of meat around the knee cap!

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Ohp
95x3x5
115x2x5
105x3x5

Landmine chest press
45x12
70x2x12

Incline db flys
25x5x12

Plate Loaded chest press
90x3x12

Close grip bench
135x5
155x5
165x3x5

Ez bar skull crusher
80x3x5

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Ssb squats
259x5x3
223x5x3

Ss with
Barbell rows
95x5x15
Snatch grip deadlifts
135x5x10

V bar pulldowns
100x5x15

Barbell shrugs
225x5x10
As with
Ez bar curls
90x5x5

Db hammer curls
45x5x5

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ssb squats
259x5x3
223x5x3

Ss with
Barbell rows
95x5x15
Snatch grip deadlifts
135x5x10

V bar pulldowns
100x5x15

Barbell shrugs
225x5x10
As with
Ez bar curls
90x5x5

Db hammer curls
45x5x5
Nice work. What kind of weird numbers are those on top? Does your SSB weigh in at some weird number or are you counting the weights from collars and everything. That or maybe using some of the incremental plates?

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Nice work. What kind of weird numbers are those on top? Does your SSB weigh in at some weird number or are you counting the weights from collars and everything. That or maybe using some of the incremental plates?
Ssb is 55, and there were some kilo plates thrown in there.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ssb is 55, and there were some kilo plates thrown in there.
What brand SSB do you have? I got the Elite FTS Yoke, it is 65, what a beast!!! I love it though!!!!