Taking Wendler’s 5/3/1 for a drive

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
As the title states, I’m taking Wendler’s 5/3/1 powerlifting training program for a ride. I have not used a training program in a while and am hoping to add some strength through the winter. Has anyone else used this program? How did it work for you? Do you have any suggestions to aid in productivity?

Here are the 1 rep max numbers I am starting with: (all in pounds)
1. Bench Press: 275
2. Squat: 250 (weak I know. It’s been awhile)
3. Deadlift: 395
4. Standing shoulder press: 170
- My bodyweight is 180lbs
- I am 6’ tall
- My nutrition goals are simple: over 180 grams of protein each day and increased carbs around training.
- supplements: creatine monohydrate, fish oil, multivitamin, preworkout, bcaa’s, ecaa’s, whey
- I train from 6:15am-7:30am
- App I am now using:

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Week 1 completed last week:
- 5/5/5
I Completed the training as planned
1. Bench
180x5, 210x5, 235x5
2. Squat
165x5, 190x5, 215x5
3. Shoulder press
110x5, 135x5, 145x5 (+5)
4. Deadlift
260x5, 300x5, 335x5

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Week 2: 3/3/3
1. Bench
190x3, 220x3, 245x3 (+2 assisted)
2. Shoulder press (did Monday after bench)
120x3, 135x3, 155x3 (+2)
3. Sumo Deadlift today
275x3, 315x3, 355x2 (still getting used to deadlifting again)
- added some bicep and tricep work as well

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Sub’d. I’m considering running the 5/3/1 in January, looking forward to this log.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m also thinking of doing this, are you using an app?

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I’m also thinking of doing this, are you using an app?
Yes. I was using the 5/3/1 app by Henrik Jachobsen, but am using a different app now

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like the app Big Lifts 2.

Are you starting out with 90% max to figure out your percentages? Your numbers seem high. And if you are doing some Assisted without getting the prescribed reps, you should decrease your max.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I like the app Big Lifts 2.

Are you starting out with 90% max to figure out your percentages? Your numbers seem high. And if you are doing some Assisted without getting the prescribed reps, you should decrease your max.
I’m new to this program and believe you are correct on these numbers. They seem fine for my bench and shoulders, but my squat and deadlift is struggling because I haven’t done them consistently in a while. I just checked and it is not set at 90%. When I set it to 90% the training weight numbers decrease. Should I use it at 90% until the first cycle is complete?

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m new to this program and believe you are correct on these numbers. They seem fine for my bench and shoulders, but my squat and deadlift is struggling because I haven’t done them consistently in a while. I just checked and it is not set at 90%. When I set it to 90% the training weight numbers decrease. Should I use it at 90% until the first cycle is complete?
I would go down to 90%. Then after a month, all the Lifts increase approximately 5-10lbs. It's a gradual progression where you in theory you shouldn't cap out in the first 4-5 months. That last set is a max rep while still leaving 1-2 in the tank.

That Big Lifts 2 app keeps all the percentages and progress.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I would go down to 90%. Then after a month, all the Lifts increase approximately 5-10lbs. It's a gradual progression where you in theory you shouldn't cap out in the first 4-5 months. That last set is a max rep while still leaving 1-2 in the tank.

That Big Lifts 2 app keeps all the percentages and progress.
Thanks! I will take your advice and I downloaded the Big Lifts 2 app. It helped better calculate my 1 rep max. I was to heavy on squats and deadlift, right on for bench and to light for shoulder press. I think I will finish up my squats (3/3/3), but start over on Monday with the new numbers

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's nice because you can set Rep PR's and then you get approximate maxes.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I’m now using the Big Lifts 2 app as suggested by kjscatch

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
It's nice because you can set Rep PR's and then you get approximate maxes.
I downloaded the Pro version, mainly for the graphs and assistant work plans. Are you in a group I can join?

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Mine doesn't look like that haha.
Hmm...it’s the Big Lifts 2 app and seems to do exactly what you said. Maybe it’s a new version.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Must be. I can't find it In the App Store. I am gonna download it and check it out too

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You too man. I am going to buy that 5/3/1 app I think but just need to get an iTunes card first. I don't put my CC info through that. It would be too easy to buy stuff!

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
You too man. I am going to buy that 5/3/1 app I think but just need to get an iTunes card first. I don't put my CC info through that. It would be too easy to buy stuff!
I understand that. The app is pretty good. I haven’t done much with it yet, but I paid for the Pro version and am interested in how the graphs will work.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Wendler Day 1
Plan for the mornings I train:
- up at 5am, take preworkout (Mesomorph) and head to the gym around 6am. I will add Cytocarb to my bcaa’s for my intra-workout drink. I will eat 3 rice cakes before training.
- I drink a post workout protein shake (60 grams) with 5 grams of creatine monohydrate
- I usually eat a banana right after training
- Training chest on Monday

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
bench amrap: completed 210x5

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Wendler 5/3/1 week 1 day two: squats
- I was working off a 250 max, but today I achieved a new max of 265 from my 10 reps of 200lbs.
- I’m happy with that.
- Slow, steady and no injuries is the goal as I travel to my 300 lb goal

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subb’d buddy. Glad to see you’re still plugging away at training my friend!

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Subb’d buddy. Glad to see you’re still plugging away at training my friend!
Good to see you as well. I have followed some of your training and family life as well. Have a great week!

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Shoulder training complete:
AMRAP: 7 reps at 135lbs
- Auxiliary work: side db raises, face pulls, rear delt fly machine, smith upright row, 5 sets of 15 at 80 lbs for standing military press

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Tweekt my back a bit on deadlift Friday. Took today and the weekend off. Will pick up week 2 tomorrow and hopefully be able to get deadlifts in by the end of the week

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That's the worse. Then it seems to take me 2-3 weeks before the weight feels normal again

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
That's the worse. Then it seems to take me 2-3 weeks before the weight feels normal again
We will see. I’m going to give it a go tomorrow

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I put my feet against the wall and stretch my hamstrings for 5 minutes 1-2 times a day and that has really helped my lower back from feeling sore. Also including planks preworkout help me a ton recently

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I put my feet against the wall and stretch my hamstrings for 5 minutes 1-2 times a day and that has really helped my lower back from feeling sore. Also including planks preworkout help me a ton recently
I think I will try that. I have been thinking I should add planks in to my workout

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Week 2 started off well: Bench day
- Bodyweight: 176 (down 5lbs from last week)
- Back wasn’t to bad. I felt no pain during any of the training today
- I followed with incline smith bench press, tricep press down, tricep extension with rope, close dumbbell tricep press

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My pre activation includes side planks and isometric bear crawls (among a few other things) but it’s always a good idea to fire the core before squatting and deadlifting since it braces the spine.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My pre activation includes side planks and isometric bear crawls (among a few other things) but it’s always a good idea to fire the core before squatting and deadlifting since it braces the spine.
Agree. One of my favorite programs was Dave Tate 5/3/1 Beyond and he had you do box jumps after warmups before you deadlifted or squatted. It's on tnation. I also like Hang Cleaning before. You can definately tell a difference.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Week 2 day 2: squats
- Bodyweight 175.6
- Auxiliary work: leg press and planks
- 1 rep max is up on bench and now on squats
- squats felt very good today.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Week 2 day 3: Military press
- Bodyweight 175
- Only supplements are: humapro, whey and fish oil
- Diet is in a deficit for the moment
- Protein is around 200 grams per day though.
- Another PR today: 142 for 7 reps

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Week 2 complete: 4 PR’s
- Today was deadlift
- Last Friday I hurt my back and was not able to complete the training
- Today my back felt fine, but on the 4th rep I felt a slight pull and didn’t try and push any more reps
- Bodyweight is down to 173 today (about 8 lbs down from last week)
- Auxiliary work: bicep hammer curls and wide grip lat pull down

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Week 3 day 1 today: bench press
- Bodyweight 177lbs
- Auxiliary work: bench press and db fly supersets
- I got 5 reps at 235 this morning

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Week 3 day 2: squats
- Bodyweight 178
- Auxiliary work: leg curls and leg extensions
- Weight felt heavy today.
- Last set was 222 for 5 reps.
- I have been dealing with my lower back the past few weeks. It wasn’t bad today, but I could feel slight pain while performing my last set at 222, so I stopped at 5

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Where’s the pain? May be a muscular strain or a simple impingement (these aren’t really simple but correctable for the most part lol)

*not a doctor and can’t diagnose but just generally curious.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
It seems to be to the left and right of the lower spin. I’m pretty sure it’s musclular strain. I have not performed squats or deadlifts in quite a while. I don’t have any pain anymore throughout the day.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Week 3 complete (with 2 PR’s this week)
- Today: Military press and deadlifts
- I missed yesterday, so doubled up today
- Update: Day Friday on Testurrection
- Bodyweight still 178lbs
- PR’s:
1.) military press: 150lbs for 6
2.) deadlifts: 325 for 7
- I most excited about the deadlifts because I have been very weak here. My back has been tight and I slightly pulled my back on the past 2 Friday’s that I trained deadlifts. Today my back felt great! I hit my PR on military press and went right into deadlifts. After the 7th rep I still felt great and maybe could have pushed out a couple more. I was happy with 7 and no pain, so I stopped.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Week 4 day 1 deload : bench press
- Bodyweight 180.6
- Auxiliary work: incline db press, flat bench fly, standing cable fly, cable tricep extension, overhead db tricep extension

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Happy New Year! I closed out 2017 with illness, but am planning to be back on track tomorrow. I completed 1 cycle of Wendler 5/3/1 and will start a 2nd cycle tomorrow. Here is a graph of my 1st cycle.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
5/3/1 Cycle 2, week 1: Military press and Deadlift
- Bodyweight: 177
- I still have a cold hanging around, but back at it
- Military Press: 10 at 140
- Deadlift: 12 at 300

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Cycle 2 week 2 started today
START OF 1-TEST/Pro-IGF 1 TODAY: 8 week plan
- 1-Test (3 pills, 1 morning, 1 lunch, 1 dinner) per day
- Pro-IGF 1 (5 pills after morning training)
- Calories and Macro plan for this week: 2,843 (pro 178, carb 320, fat 95)
- Starting bodyweight: 174.4lbs

- Coming off of being sick for over a month and no training the past 2 weeks

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Finished cycle 2 and am well-pleased with the results. I increased 2 PR’s and remained the same from before I was sick on the two other lifts.

And today’s gym shirt