Team Juggernaut ft. Booneman77 - 3 months to Mass!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hello and welcome to the next 3 months of my life! I have been graciously selected to receive 3 months of training and coaching in both diet/nutrition and workouts/training from the guys over at Team Juggernaut (Team Info/. I will be following the plans given me to the letter, commenting along the way (as well as showcasing) progress, setbacks, positives, negatives, and all facets of the process and program.

As most of you know, I have been around these forums for years now and have done plenty of my own programming and diet design. I've been through a great many ups and downs in terms of weight, body composition, strength, and pretty much any other aspect of this game. I have a pretty good base of understanding of both what works for me as well as what does not... That said, I've reached a point where I feel that my view of myself is maybe too critical and biased to really take the next step forward. Over the last year or so, while I have made progress on strength and aesthetics, it has been very slow and tedious. My caloric intake is painfully low (maintaining at 1800cals as of today) and even though my body comp is pretty good (holding 10-12%bf for most of the last 2+years), I think there's room for improvement.

So what will this look like?

Nutrition; I wont post up specifics as these are proprietary and I don't want to just hand out the TJ secrets, but I will post up calories and macros for most weeks. I will comment on specific daily things of note where applicable. One thing I will surely include is comments on how I feel related to the food and schedule.
Today, I typically practice IF and usually eat 1-2 meals in the evenings only that include my entire daily caloric allotment. Su-F are typically 1800 cals with mostly protein, lower fat, lower carb. Sat is usually a cheat day where cals can almost double and carbs are way higher. I have been eating this way for about the past year and a half and this has worked best for my travel job as well as my appetite (huge) to keep me lean and full (aka happy haha).

Training; I will post up the workouts at a high level, but no details. Commentary on the rep ranges and any other items as necessary to convey my feelings.
Today, I have been doing a 5-day HFT plan for the last 5 weeks to give myself a break from the custom PHAT plans I have been running for the last 2+ years or so. I typically workout 5-6 days a week and do cardio really only when I feel necessary (would never if I had my way ha).

Please feel free to follow along, post any questions/comments/critiques and hopefully you guys will get to see what Team Juggernaut has to offer!
cheftepesh1 Eric Mar

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Subd

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Day 1 Stats and Info

Current Stats:
Height - 5'10"
Weight - 174.5lb (weigh in's will be weekly, most on Saturday morning)
BF - 12% (estimated - caliper measures 8, but this is too low)

1RM's:
Bench - 255lb (always has been far and away my weakest lift - honestly never focused on it either as it frustrates me)
Squat - 410lb
Deadlift - 410lb

Goal: Aesthetic size. I want to add size, but not while sacrificing conditioning to any extreme extent. If I can't fit in my pants and am soft as a marshmallow, I don't care how big I am because that's a huge self conscious issue for me and I will not be happy or confident with myself. By the end of this, I would like to have added some noticeable size, while staying within a reasonable bf% and overall just look bigger. Strength is nice, but only a bonus at this point as looks are a far #1.

Starting Compilation - (pics taken straight after an 11hr flight so I'm super dehydrated/slouching and flat fwiw)
Start.jpg

Week 1 Programming (intro):
4 lifting days
M - Shoulders/Abs/Calves
T - Back/Biceps/Calves
W - Chest /Triceps/Abs
R - Off
F - Legs
Sa - Off
Su - TBD

Week 1 Nutrition (base diet):
Roughly 40/p/40c/20f split
Lifting Days - ~2300 cals
Off Days - ~2100 cals

Fist thoughts... huge bump up in cals for me... and carbs... and less training...Honestly nervous to see if its possible to stay reasonably lean with these changes. Week 1 diet and training are both very basic and I believe are meant to really just "feel me out". I see very little "specialization" or "expertise" required to put these together so I fully expect them to change based on the results from this week. We will see how things progress, but as I write this, I'm already hungry (having eaten some during the day for a change, as soon as I ate, my stomach was growling for more). Not thrilled about changing to eating more through the day at all either and so far this plan is asking for a standard breakfast, lunch, and snacks which is a huge inconvenience for me and may need to change to fit my lifestyle.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was about to get onto you for starting a log and not hitting me up. Lucky for you it is new! ;)

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I heard Mass is in session. Excuse me while i grab a seat.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It is hard going from IF back to normal eating because anything over 3 meals just seems like excess!

However if growing is the goal then at least 4 meals a day is going to be better than IF. Only due to increased protein synthesis. The more protein feeding with in reason, the more you spur on protein synthesis. So that is the main benefit for you trying to grow is the increased opportunities for driving protein synthesis.

As far as the training they may start you out basic and push up the volume & intensity a bit to see where you start to break, then back off and build the program from there.

I am assuming by your comments there are no intensifiers or anything in training this week. Without mentioning sets can you give an idea of rep ranges and if using any tempo work to start out with?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Forgot to mention supplements... right now, nothing but staples:
Orange Triad
Agmatine XT with carb meals
Gut Health

Bcaas intra workout or long fasting periods as needed (10g)
Protein powder (1 sc pre wokrout, 2 sc pre-bed) - blend (this week - ProMore Frosted Cinn Bun)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It is hard going from IF back to normal eating because anything over 3 meals just seems like excess!

However if growing is the goal then at least 4 meals a day is going to be better than IF. Only due to increased protein synthesis. The more protein feeding with in reason, the more you spur on protein synthesis. So that is the main benefit for you trying to grow is the increased opportunities for driving protein synthesis.

As far as the training they may start you out basic and push up the volume & intensity a bit to see where you start to break, then back off and build the program from there.

I am assuming by your comments there are no intensifiers or anything in training this week. Without mentioning sets can you give an idea of rep ranges and if using any tempo work to start out with?
Nothing special in terms of intensity or anything. Rep ranges are mostly 8-12. Nothing below 6. Pretty much as basic as they come in terms of specifics. really a "cookie cutter" type week of workouts. I do not expect that to continue though, and expect things to ramp up as we go.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nothing special in terms of intensity or anything. Rep ranges are mostly 8-12. Nothing below 6. Pretty much as basic as they come in terms of specifics. really a "cookie cutter" type week of workouts. I do not expect that to continue though, and expect things to ramp up as we go.
Yeah, typically you get a nice basic start then start increasing either volume or intensity gradually to drive adaptation. So this one is being designed for you specifically for hypertrophy. Will you be able to tell us when and or if you are doing Cell Swelling, BFR, myofascial and or occluded stretches, but just not the specifics of it? I am more interested in what methods they choose to use than I am how they specifically incorporate them.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yeah, typically you get a nice basic start then start increasing either volume or intensity gradually to drive adaptation. So this one is being designed for you specifically for hypertrophy. Will you be able to tell us when and or if you are doing Cell Swelling, BFR, myofascial and or occluded stretches, but just not the specifics of it? I am more interested in what methods they choose to use than I am how they specifically incorporate them.
My plan is def to talk about some of those type of specifics, just to not lay out exact set/rep type schemes.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My plan is def to talk about some of those type of specifics, just to not lay out exact set/rep type schemes.
Cool, are you posting up some before shots for a comparison?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Cool, are you posting up some before shots for a comparison?
they're up above.you guys were just too fast subbing while I was editing them in earlier ha.

they're about the worst i've looked in awhile thanks to 2 weeks of minimal food in germany and then 11+hrs of flying/dehydration/etc right before they were taken... should make the "afters" look even better ha

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm in to see how this works out

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
they're up above.you guys were just too fast subbing while I was editing them in earlier ha.

they're about the worst i've looked in awhile thanks to 2 weeks of minimal food in germany and then 11+hrs of flying/dehydration/etc right before they were taken... should make the "afters" look even better ha
Tsk tsk....

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Subbed

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Wrong post

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Day 1.
So far so good. Training is a bet different starting out with this first phase than what I'm used to doing.
Trained shoulder, calves, and little bit of rear neck testicles, aka traps.
Seems like basic bodybuilding style with higher reps. Didn't have anything under 6 with most on the 8 to 12 range. I usually do more strength based in the 5 to 6 rep ranges at the highest for main lifts. But no complaints got me a nice pump.
With diet starting out is more of a base plan with changes to come as I respond. But even starting out on this cut it has seemed like a ton of food for the day. But that has always been a issue of mine when planning my own nutrition, is I can never seem to start out high enough and then stall out in about 2 months. So really looking forward to the changes I can make.
Think you meant to put this in your own log haha

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed my brother!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Day 1 is in the books and day 2 is under way...

workout last night was shoulders with some accessory abs and calves. Nothing too hard, only intensity set/technique was an fst-7 type exercise to end the shoulder segement. 7 sets with short rest times to "finish".

Food for the evening was very basic but enjoyable. chicken, basmati rice, broccoli, oats, and some greek yogurt were the bulk of my two evening meals. A few spices for taste.

As mentioned, low carbs during the week has been the standard for me so the post workout bananas as well as the carbs with dinner and bed meals are certainly a new change for me. We will see how my body responds as this morning I definintely felt slightly more full/bloated than I normally do in the mornings. I will keep an eye on this over the week and through the day.

Meal 1 is already in the books as well so I will see how long before I start to get hungry now...

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Subbed. Hoping you will see some good improvements.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I am excited for you bro. CJ is one hell of a coach! This should be good for you!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Workout number 2 in the books. Honestly these first week workouts are almost boring... the rest between the sets is far more than I’m used to/need and I’m not even breaking a sweat. Even going as hard as I can on every set it’s just not a challenging layout. Really hoping these will evolve quickly as I cannot see this being good for body comp or condition either as the combo of a huge caloric jump paired with significantly less energy expenditure (no cardio, less difficult workouts both metabolically and intensity wise) seems like it will be just too much to be outweighed by the speed at which anyone can build muscle to increase energy output.

As I said, I will follow the plan, but as of now, consider me skeptical until I see some “real” programming in terms of diet and training.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Workout number 2 in the books. Honestly these first week workouts are almost boring... the rest between the sets is far more than I’m used to/need and I’m not even breaking a sweat. Even going as hard as I can on every set it’s just not a challenging layout. Really hoping these will evolve quickly as I cannot see this being good for body comp or condition either as the combo of a huge caloric jump paired with significantly less energy expenditure (no cardio, less difficult workouts both metabolically and intensity wise) seems like it will be just too much to be outweighed by the speed at which anyone can build muscle to increase energy output.

As I said, I will follow the plan, but as of now, consider me skeptical until I see some “real” programming in terms of diet and training.
As long as you are giving this feedback to the coach that is doing your program he should adjust as needed, or explain the reasoning behind why it is so simple and easy right now. Could even be that your previous work was so intense that your first week is a deload of sorts. You never know if you don't ask why.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
As long as you are giving this feedback to the coach that is doing your program he should adjust as needed, or explain the reasoning behind why it is so simple and easy right now. Could even be that your previous work was so intense that your first week is a deload of sorts. You never know if you don't ask why.
yep, have been conversing (I assume almost annoyingly often) on all aspects ha. I feel like I'm probably in the minority of clients who wants to know exactly why and has their own opinion on everything based on years of self-testing. I would guess most people who hire a coach do it so they don't have to ask questions and just follow directions

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
yep, have been conversing (I assume almost annoyingly often) on all aspects ha. I feel like I'm probably in the minority of clients who wants to know exactly why and has their own opinion on everything based on years of self-testing. I would guess most people who hire a coach do it so they don't have to ask questions and just follow directions
I think many do that for sure. I also think that someone who wants to learn is a better client in a lot of ways. They tend to push you and make you assess your methods, and look at more variables. As long as the person will still follow the directions that is. When I was working with my last coach, he told me coaching me was more like a consultant than a coach because he valued my opinions and self awareness, as well as my knowledge. That he trusted my assessments and feedback more than the average client. Any time I felt like I didn't understand why we were doing something I insisted on an explanation as to why it was being done, and brought up any questions or concerns I had with the approach. We both ended up learning in that instance.

Now those people who just blindly follow your directions with faith and discipline are few and far between but are pretty damn awesome so long as they can give good biofeedback.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I think many do that for sure. I also think that someone who wants to learn is a better client in a lot of ways. They tend to push you and make you assess your methods, and look at more variables. As long as the person will still follow the directions that is. When I was working with my last coach, he told me coaching me was more like a consultant than a coach because he valued my opinions and self awareness, as well as my knowledge. That he trusted my assessments and feedback more than the average client. Any time I felt like I didn't understand why we were doing something I insisted on an explanation as to why it was being done, and brought up any questions or concerns I had with the approach. We both ended up learning in that instance.

Now those people who just blindly follow your directions with faith and discipline are few and far between but are pretty damn awesome so long as they can give good biofeedback.
As a consultant, I totally get this... so true that the people who challenge you are really the best to work with as you develop yourself and your methods so much more than you would otherwise. I just feel annoying doing it to other people haha

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You have not worked with a coach before, correct? It will be interesting to see how it works out.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You have not worked with a coach before, correct? It will be interesting to see how it works out.
Nope not at all... never even had a lifting partner haha.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
In!

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Nope not at all... never even had a lifting partner haha.
Nice, I haven’t had one in a couple years now and I honestly miss it a ton. Me and my bestfriend lifted together for year and then life just started getting in the way.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Tonight's chest/tri workout was actually reasonably tough (at least the chest portion). Volume was a good bit higher than the others and more compound lifts made it tougher for sure. I'd like to see more days like this one ;)

Everything was a bit later today so I'm really downing some pretty serious food this evening, mostly in one big sitting. post workout-dinner-pre bed all within about a 3 hour window (8-11p)... cals today are also a bit higher than the last 2 as I cahnged my meat source at dinner which added some cals.

One note is that the diet plans are simply food lists so far. No calorie or macro counts which is odd as some of the reccomendations are things like: 10oz chicken, fish, or beef... which is odd since the caloric content of lean chicken can be dramatically (300+) different from the same volume of beef... I will be discussing this with my coach this week to see how he wants to manage this as I think this is a huge flaw long term that could lead to hundreds of calories DAILY being over or under the actual plan.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I was going to ask about that, do they give you exact meal information a week or so in advance, it would be inefficient to go shopping multiple times a week to pick up a change in meal plans throughout the week.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I was going to ask about that, do they give you exact meal information a week or so in advance, it would be inefficient to go shopping multiple times a week to pick up a change in meal plans throughout the week.
from what I understand, updates will be coming each sunday (we send pics and weigh in on saturdays) to both training and diet as needed. i travel every week anyways so I shop daily anyhow ha. I love grocery store browsing ;)

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
Tonight's chest/tri workout was actually reasonably tough (at least the chest portion). Volume was a good bit higher than the others and more compound lifts made it tougher for sure. I'd like to see more days like this one ;)

Everything was a bit later today so I'm really downing some pretty serious food this evening, mostly in one big sitting. post workout-dinner-pre bed all within about a 3 hour window (8-11p)... cals today are also a bit higher than the last 2 as I cahnged my meat source at dinner which added some cals.

One note is that the diet plans are simply food lists so far. No calorie or macro counts which is odd as some of the reccomendations are things like: 10oz chicken, fish, or beef... which is odd since the caloric content of lean chicken can be dramatically (300+) different from the same volume of beef... I will be discussing this with my coach this week to see how he wants to manage this as I think this is a huge flaw long term that could lead to hundreds of calories DAILY being over or under the actual plan.
The beauty of this plan is that with carb backloading you don't need to count macros the same way. The two GLUT4 types handle the caloric differences.

Macro count is over rated IMHO and doesn't need to be managed. Timing is way more important than count IMHO

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mike israetel lists from important to LEAST important.

Calories
Macros
Nutrient timing

I’m going to side with his opinion.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I'd put it this way:

Timing
Macros
Calories

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The beauty of this plan is that with carb backloading you don't need to count macros the same way. The two GLUT4 types handle the caloric differences.

Macro count is over rated IMHO and doesn't need to be managed. Timing is way more important than count IMHO
yeah im going to 100% disagree on the "dont need to count"... I've done plenty of backloading as well as always eat most of my food post workout/evening time... I can make dramatic differences in body comp in short time spans by raising and lowering total calories OR macro content... to say they dont matter is to say that the laws of thermodynamics don't apply, which is just ignorant

calories are far and away the #1 factor IMO.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

That is interesting but John Keifer the creator of carb-backloading 100% disagrees with you, and says that it is that misconception that causes people to have sub par experiences with Carb Backloading. That all of the rules of calories in verses calories out still apply. The macros and timing are like tweaks man... they can marginally improve the results of the caloric balance but that is all, marginal through various hormonal changes.

I'd put it this way:

Timing
Macros
Calories
You would be way off... more realisitic is along the lines of Calories 80%, Macros 10, Timing 10%. I have seen a few charts that all echo relatively the same sentiment but add in meal frequency giving Timing and Frequency both 5%. I am also a certified nutrition coach and that just doesn't make any sense man. Sorry the science just doesn't back that theory up.

To say that macros or timing are more important than calories is like saying that having 93 octane gas is more important than having gas in the tank at all... That's just wrong... the car will run with 87, 91 or 93 octane at various levels of efficency, but not without the gas itself.... think about it.

yeah im going to 100% disagree on the "dont need to count"... I've done plenty of backloading as well as always eat most of my food post workout/evening time... I can make dramatic differences in body comp in short time spans by raising and lowering total calories OR macro content... to say they dont matter is to say that the laws of thermodynamics don't apply, which is just ignorant

calories are far and away the #1 factor IMO.

Yes and it has been scientifically proven as such... Eric Mar, are you one of the coaches over there or a rep for the M&M store / forum? If a rep you might want to get the coaches to buy into what you are saying in these logs before posting up wrong information. Otherwise people think that this is the type of information they can expect with the training.