Hanslift's Road to a 1000lb Total

  1. Hanslift's Road to a 1000lb Total


    Hey AM!

    I have been lurking in the shadows a lot lately, commenting and what not but I've never started a training log. Being that I'm just now getting back into the swing of things, I figured it's the perfect time to start a log in my pursuit to lift 1,000 lbs in the Southern Powerlifting Federation's "Gritmas Classic" meet in Cleveland, TN on Dec. 9, 2017. This will be my first powerlifting meet ever so I'm super stoked to finally do a competition. So this will give me 14 weeks to prep for the meet.

    My lifting history is storied at best as I lifted really hard in college, more "powerbuilding" than anything, and then gave it up when I moved to Nashville for my job back in 2008. I dabbled in triathlon, cycling and running until about 2012, and then I dabbled in beer and wings mostly until 2014 when I got sober. I lifted on and off, got some strength back, but then quit altogether when my daughter was born in 2016. So here I am, trying to get my groove back.

    I'm 5'11", weighed 226.2 lbs this morning, and am probably sitting around 20% body fat or higher. My goal is to get down to about 15% by the meet, but I plan on competing in the 220 class regardless and do not intend to focus on cutting weight for my first meet. So basically I'll focus on mildly recomping my physique.

    My goals are to bench 350, pull 350 and squat 300. Currently, my 1RM for bench and deadlift is 265 and 285 respectively, but I imagine I will get a lot of my old strength back quickly. I believe my 1RM for squat is 185 with proper powerlifting form(yes, I know, weak!) but I have a pre-existing back injury so I will be slowly progressing with my squats to ensure I'm not reinjuring myself.

    So my plan for the log will be to bench the following:

    Day 1 – Bench (Includes Upper Body Accessories)
    Day 3 – Deadlift (Includes Lower Body Accessories)
    Day 5 – Military Press (Includes Upper Body Accessories)
    Day 7 – Squat (Includes Lower Body Accessories)

    My diet will be pretty basic for now with a goal of 2,500 calories, so that's 188g of protein, 250g of carbs and 83g fat. I will gradually increase this as we go along, mostly as my workouts get more intense and my strength and muscle mass increase. My biggest challenge will be replacing all that ice cream with healthier options. Also, I'm a coffee addict, so I'm trying to keep it at 3 cups a day for now (yesterday was 6!) so I might reduce it to 2, then 1, then none in the coming weeks.

    My supplements regimen will consist of Muscle Pharm Assault preworkout; and 1 scoop of Animal's Juiced Aminos during my workouts, and then 5g of Optimum Nutrition Creatine later in the day everyday. I'll also take one serving of Animal Pak per day and one serving of Animal PM at night before bed. I imagine some of these supps, especially the brands, will change here and there, but I will keep the Animal Pak and creatine as a constant throughout the log as both have shined for me in the past.

    So that's about it. To wrap this up, here's my workout from last night, which centered around deadlifts:

    Warmup Deadlift
    3 sets of 135 x3

    Working Deadlift
    3 sets of 185 x 3
    3 sets of 225 x 1

    Front Squats
    3 sets of 95 x 8,6,6

    Leg Curls
    3 sets of 50 x 12, 10,8

    Leg Extensions
    1 set of 100 x 15
    2 sets of 110 x 12,10

    Seated Calf Raises
    3 sets of 95 x 12,12,12

    Standing Calf Raises
    3 sets of 105 x 10,10,10

    Ab Wheels (OUCH!!!)
    2 sets of 5, 3

    Back Extensions
    2 sets of 8,8


  2. Welcome back man! Reading your story I'm glad you gave up cycling lol. You have a good start solid 4 months of training to get into your meet. Should be plenty of time. Looking forward to following along!
    Instagram @TheSwoleNurse - www.YouTube.com/TheSwoleNurse
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by NurseGray View Post
    Welcome back man! Reading your story I'm glad you gave up cycling lol. You have a good start solid 4 months of training to get into your meet. Should be plenty of time. Looking forward to following along!
    Thanks brother! I'll be following your lead!
    Animal Pak, Animal PM, Animal Juiced Aminos, Muscle Pharm Assault
  4. Hanslift's Road to a 1000lb Total


    In on this. Good luck man.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by JCR97 View Post
    In on this. Good luck man.
    Thanks man! Glad to have you along!
    Animal Pak, Animal PM, Animal Juiced Aminos, Muscle Pharm Assault
    •   
       


  6. In for this! Good luck and quick note. Did you mean 180 grams of protein around 1g per lbs of lean body weight? The post says 18g.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Mowglisml View Post
    In for this! Good luck and quick note. Did you mean 180 grams of protein around 1g per lbs of lean body weight? The post says 18g.
    Awesome, glad to have you along for the ride! And thanks for calling out the typo... I made the correction.

  8. In on this

  9. I would do 1.5 scoops of cit mal. Studies show 6g and above to be a better effect since juiced aminos has some in it (probably a little over 1g) 1.5 scoops of your primaforce yields 4.5g ( assuming it's a 3G scoop) that would give you 6G.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by LAH813 View Post
    In on this
    Sweet! Glad to have you!

  11. Quote Originally Posted by JCR97 View Post
    I would do 1.5 scoops of cit mal. Studies show 6g and above to be a better effect since juiced aminos has some in it (probably a little over 1g) 1.5 scoops of your primaforce yields 4.5g ( assuming it's a 3G scoop) that would give you 6G.
    Cool... will do! Thinking about grabbing some Hemavol anyway so that should do the trick! Hitting bench and and accessories tonight so I'm looking forward to seeing how this affects my pump.

  12. I am in. You had me at, "I have a plan."

  13. Good luck!
  14. Hanslift's Road to a 1000lb Total


    Alright, guys! I'm back! @NurseGray @Apsmith4992 @HIT4ME @JCR97 @LAH813 @Mowglisml

    Not that you were holding your breath or anything, but I sure was! I tweaked my back again shortly after starting this log and have been laid out since! Anyhow, after some lengthy rehab and rest, I'm back at it again, albeit a slightly different approach. I'm making some changes to my routine, which I will note in my initial post. I'm also adding in some yoga to stretch and strengthen out my legs, hips and back. Yes, I know, yoga! But hey, my wife puts on her booty pants when she does yoga, so maybe I'll get lucky more!?!?!

    Anyway, I woke up and hit a nice bench session. I haven't benched in about 3 months so it was nice to get a progress report and see where I stand. I ended up just doing nice and slow reps, powerlifting style. I would say "start", "press" and "rack" in my head to ensure I was using proper form and not bouncing around. I want to make sure I'm doing this from the get go so I'm ready during the meet. Anyhow, I am definitely a lot stronger than I thought as the lifts were pretty easy. Still, it felt great to get some blood in the muscles. Now my accessories were a completely different story as I felt weak on all of them. Oh well, time to get jacked and tan, right?

    Here's my workout for today:

    Bench Press
    5x1 @ 245
    3x3 @ 215
    3x6 @ 185

    T-bar rows
    4xAMRAP @ 45 (12,8,8,6)

    Face Pulls
    4xAMRAP @ 25 (12,12,12,12)

    Barbell Curls
    4xAMRAP @ 50 (10,8,8,6)

    Skull Krushers
    4xAMRAP @ 60 (10,10,10,10)

    Now I'm off to shower, down a shake and split for work. Next workout will be Deadlift with accessories on Thursday. See ya!
    Animal Pak, Animal PM, Animal Juiced Aminos, Muscle Pharm Assault

  15. Quote Originally Posted by hanslifts View Post
    Alright, guys! I'm back! @NurseGray @Apsmith4992 @HIT4ME @JCR97 @LAH813 @Mowglisml

    Not that you were holding your breath or anything, but I sure was! I tweaked my back again shortly after starting this log and have been laid out since! Anyhow, after some lengthy rehab and rest, I'm back at it again, albeit a slightly different approach. I'm making some changes to my routine, which I will note in my initial post. I'm also adding in some yoga to stretch and strengthen out my legs, hips and back. Yes, I know, yoga! But hey, my wife puts on her booty pants when she does yoga, so maybe I'll get lucky more!?!?!

    Anyway, I woke up and hit a nice bench session. I haven't benched in about 3 months so it was nice to get a progress report and see where I stand. I ended up just doing nice and slow reps, powerlifting style. I would say "start", "press" and "rack" in my head to ensure I was using proper form and not bouncing around. I want to make sure I'm doing this from the get go so I'm ready during the meet. Anyhow, I am definitely a lot stronger than I thought as the lifts were pretty easy. Still, it felt great to get some blood in the muscles. Now my accessories were a completely different story as I felt weak on all of them. Oh well, time to get jacked and tan, right?

    Here's my workout for today:

    Bench Press
    5x1 @ 245
    3x3 @ 215
    3x6 @ 185

    T-bar rows
    4xAMRAP @ 45 (12,8,8,6)

    Face Pulls
    4xAMRAP @ 25 (12,12,12,12)

    Barbell Curls
    4xAMRAP @ 50 (10,8,8,6)

    Skull Krushers
    4xAMRAP @ 60 (10,10,10,10)

    Now I'm off to shower, down a shake and split for work. Next workout will be Deadlift with accessories on Thursday. See ya!
    Yoga for the win. As a hockey player my hips get really locked up squats and deads can become really problematic and yoga helps keep everything working. That and of course it's a great view.

    Keep killing it your strength will shoot back up in the next few weeks no problems!

  16. Quote Originally Posted by JCR97 View Post
    Yoga for the win. As a hockey player my hips get really locked up squats and deads can become really problematic and yoga helps keep everything working. That and of course it's a great view.

    Keep killing it your strength will shoot back up in the next few weeks no problems!
    Heard that! I did some brief moves last night and I swear I was standing taller once I got up off the floor!

  17. Well gents, I apologize for flaking on this thread, and on the AM community. I've had a couple of major setbacks this year, and everything came crashing down pretty quickly. For starters, I injured my back a few months ago and had to take some time off. Well, I started hitting the pain pills a little to ease the pain, and let's just say things got out of hand fast. And then I started drinking. So the last two months have been really ****ty, and I had to get back up, dust myself off, and get back in Alcoholics Anonymous. So here I am, 18 days sober. I am going to get back in the gym tonight, and continue to chase my dreams and goals. Any support would be much appreciated. Thanks.

  18. So, you had a plan. What now? (Sincerely, not being a jerk).

    You be got my support.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    So, you had a plan. What now? (Sincerely, not being a jerk).

    You be got my support.
    Thanks for sticking around. I WILL be crushing my goals at the 2018 Ironman Classic in Franklin, TN on March 10. So get back to the gym, focus on my diet and recovery, and stay sober.
    Animal Pak, Animal PM, Animal Juiced Aminos, Muscle Pharm Assault

  20. They say the road to greatness is paved with grit. I totally believe that after my workout just now. I walked into the gym not know what to expect, other than the fact that I was going to this workout as my official gesture at my local gym to let them know that I'm back, I'm serious, that I've picked myself up off the floor and I WILL SMASH ****ING WEIGHT! I WILL CRUSH MY GOAL!

    I focused on mildly shocking the muscles, waking them up so to speak after many months of drug and alcohol abuse. And it felt great! My muscles were on fire, my heart was about to beat out of my chest, but I felt a little bit of redemption with each rep. The workout went like this:

    Barbell Bench Press @ 225lbs x 5,5,3 reps
    Supersetted with
    BodyweightPullups x 5,3,4 reps

    Lateral Rasies @ 20lbs x 12,12,12 reps

    Barbell T-bar Row @ 45lbs x 12,12,12 reps

    Bodyweight Dips x 10,6,8

    Dumbbell Hammer Curls @ 30 x 10,8,6

    So I walked out of the gym with a newfound resolve. And a realization that I need some cardio too!

    Anyway, I think I weigh around 230lbs right now. I will get some new AAAs for the scale and weigh in first thing tomorrow morning.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Alpha Drive XL™ and My road to recovery Log
    By Jayhawkk in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 12:03 AM
  2. Poobah On the Road to 405 with John Pinder.
    By Poobah in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 06:56 PM
  3. Cuffs' Road To Recovery...Let The Healing Begin!
    By Cuffs in forum General Chat
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 02:06 AM
  4. Refined Carbs Leads to Fat not total carbs
    By ironviking in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 10:08 AM
  5. Npc: The Road To Ifbb Pro Status
    By YellowJacket in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 03:49 AM
Log in
Log in