CrossFit and bad form? A reality?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. CrossFit and bad form? A reality?

I have heard a million different opinions on CrossFit and there "form". Hardcore lifters say if they want to injure themselves training they will do some bench press with no spotter. Hardcore crossers say that with a "unique" approach to this death defying full body workout, is they never felt they could achieve there fitness goals without it. All in all, it's preference.

Now for the ratings
    CrossFit: 97/132 over 75% due to the sport's "unique" approach
    Lifting: 24/112 under 30% due to lack of knowledge when it comes to proper form

You decide...

2. CrossFit and bad form? A reality?

What are these ratings? 97/132? 24/112? Also, 97/132 is 0.7348, or 73.48%, which is under 75%. I'm genuinely confused by this post.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
    •   

3. That's how many people get injured.
    Sorry for being unclear.
    Does anyone on this site NOT hate everybody else??lol and I don't think you hate me ahaha
    Or I would cry

4. Quote Originally Posted by Lukewarmth94 View Post
    That's how many people get injured.
    Sorry for being unclear.
    Does anyone on this site NOT hate everybody else??lol and I don't think you hate me ahaha
    Or I would cry
    I don't hate you at all man, I'm just confused and like memes, haha. Where are the % and # ratings coming from?
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

5. Well the CrossFit was a study by west virginia, and the lifting was a personal count from a few different studies. Which include west Virginia also
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Lukewarmth94 View Post
    Well the CrossFit was a study by west virginia, and the lifting was a personal count from a few different studies. Which include west Virginia also
    A study testing/observing what? What do the numbers represent?
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

7. The first numbers are the injured the second number is total people involved. The percentages are the percent injured. Might have meant to put under 75%. Just trying to put that out there before people try CrossFit.or lifting on a regular basis

8. Quote Originally Posted by Lukewarmth94 View Post
    The first numbers are the injured the second number is total people involved. The percentages are the percent injured. Might have meant to put under 75%. Just trying to put that out there before people try CrossFit.or lifting on a regular basis
    Actually, I think a lot of people get injured in first few times due to lack of knowledge and tring new movements. If they make it long enough to become a regular then their supporting muscles should support enough to avoid some injuries and maybe they learned sth too.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bosskardo View Post
    Actually, I think a lot of people get injured in first few times due to lack of knowledge and tring new movements. If they make it long enough to become a regular then their supporting muscles should support enough to avoid some injuries and maybe they learned sth too.
    Agreed. They are both awesome. I do want to try CrossFit for sure, but that's really expensive. 90a week

10. Name:  crossfit-meme-funny-4.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  33.1 KB
    VEIN NUTRITION - PREMIUM BODYBUILDING SUPPLEMENTS
    CLICK ME > VEIN NUTRITION : USE "JUST410" for 10% OFF
    IG: @VeinNutrition

11. Quote Originally Posted by justhere4comm View Post
    Name:  crossfit-meme-funny-4.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  33.1 KB
    Bahaha

12. Quote Originally Posted by Lukewarmth94 View Post
    Agreed. They are both awesome. I do want to try CrossFit for sure, but that's really expensive. 90a week
    $90/week is insane. I pay $130/month for unlimited. If you can find a reasonable box (with good coaching) give it a try. I lifted for years before trying crossfit. After 2 years of crossfit (with strength training mixed in), I'm leaner, faster, and stronger. I never drank the kool-aid so I am not going to say that crossfit is the greatest program on earth. But many people who knock it have never tried it.

Just as an example, before CF my DL max was 315. After 2 years it's 425. I weigh between 155-160 pounds (depending on the day). Can you make that progress without CF? Sure! But my point is that CF will not destroy your gainz as long as you program properly.

13. Quote Originally Posted by BRUstrong View Post
    $90/week is insane. I pay $130/month for unlimited. If you can find a reasonable box (with good coaching) give it a try. I lifted for years before trying crossfit. After 2 years of crossfit (with strength training mixed in), I'm leaner, faster, and stronger. I never drank the kool-aid so I am not going to say that crossfit is the greatest program on earth. But many people who knock it have never tried it.

Just as an example, before CF my DL max was 315. After 2 years it's 425. I weigh between 155-160 pounds (depending on the day). Can you make that progress without CF? Sure! But my point is that CF will not destroy your gainz as long as you program properly.
    Yeah, only 37$ for my gym membership. I weight the same also. Have not 1rm in a while though

14. Just program better. HST.
    Hypertrophy Specific Training.

Look it up.
    Fukc crossfit.
    VEIN NUTRITION - PREMIUM BODYBUILDING SUPPLEMENTS
    CLICK ME > VEIN NUTRITION : USE "JUST410" for 10% OFF
    IG: @VeinNutrition

15. Read the lawsuit from Crossfit and the NSCA. Determine the rest for yourself but it was eye opening.
    Current Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/291581-officially-chasing-abs.html#post5714196

16. Quote Originally Posted by justhere4comm View Post
    Just program better. HST.
    Hypertrophy Specific Training.

Look it up.
    Fukc crossfit.
    You're comparing apples to oranges.
  17. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BRUstrong View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges.
    Both fruits though...right?

Bodybuilding IME has zero functional benefits and over time is functionally detrimental.

When I see s guy my size and weight clean and jerk for reps more weight than I can bench press I know who is more functionally fit and conditioned and is usually leaner t'boot

18. It's all preference, but I'll stick to weights so I can ALWAYS lift without injury. Again, preference

19. Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    Both fruits though...right?

Bodybuilding IME has zero functional benefits and over time is functionally detrimental.

When I see s guy my size and weight clean and jerk for reps more weight than I can bench press I know who is more functionally fit and conditioned and is usually leaner t'boot
    Bodybuilding, on a competitive level at least, may not have functional benefits relative to other forms of exercise, but, at the end of the day, it's lifting and resistance training, which is good for your health long term compared to not lifting IMO. Of course, bad form, excessive weight, and obviously copious drug use isn't good for your health, but that's something else entirely, as I'm sure there are crossfiters, powerlifters, and gym-bros using steroids as well.

One issue I have with crossfit is when people treat EVERY session as a competition for time, instead of training. It's one thing to sacrifice a little form and technique to get extra reps or a better time during a game/competition (not very frequently), but it's another to do this EVERY workout, multiple times a week, focusing more on the weight lifted or time than proper form. A powerlifter shouldn't max out every workout, and a bodybuilder shouldn't train past failure and do partial reps or use momentum to get more reps/weight every set of every workout. Granted, not all crossfit gyms/boxes advocate this nonsense, but some do. You can't treat every practice like a game. Also, top crossfiters (everyone brings up Froning or however you spell it), didn't get that big and strong doing only WODs, kipping pull ups, and burpies. I'm sure they also do more traditional lifting, which will help even in WODs and whatnot. Crossfit, when used correctly, can be fun and a nice chance of pace, but only if it's done right, and should probably also include some "normal" lifting as well.

No, it won't destroy your gains, and you can make progress doing it, but it's obviously not the most efficient (in terms of cost or time) to build a "Bodybuilding" physique. Of course, not everyone wants a bodybuilding physique, but for those who do, Crossfit probably isn't the best way to go after it, at least not exclusively. I also find that many Olympic lifts really aren't suited for beginners, especially if you're doing them for high reps and time. Focus should be primarily on form for a while before worrying about time, or form will inevitably go out the window in the pursuit of a better time. Of course, I'm sure some boxes place emphasis on form before throwing them to the wolves with snatches for time, but some don't, since people who just start out or want to try it for a week or so want to do a cool WOD, not spend hours getting proper form down for a snatch and clean and jerk. Also, screw kipping pull ups, haha. I saw someone doing weighted kipping Pullups the other day. Doesn't that defeat the entire point of both? Why kipp to make it easier, then add weight to make it more difficult?
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

20. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Bodybuilding, on a competitive level at least, may not have functional benefits relative to other forms of exercise, but, at the end of the day, it's lifting and resistance training, which is good for your health long term compared to not lifting IMO. Of course, bad form, excessive weight, and obviously copious drug use isn't good for your health, but that's something else entirely, as I'm sure there are crossfiters, powerlifters, and gym-bros using steroids as well.

One issue I have with crossfit is when people treat EVERY session as a competition for time, instead of training. It's one thing to sacrifice a little form and technique to get extra reps or a better time during a game/competition (not very frequently), but it's another to do this EVERY workout, multiple times a week, focusing more on the weight lifted or time than proper form. A powerlifter shouldn't max out every workout, and a bodybuilder shouldn't train past failure and do partial reps or use momentum to get more reps/weight every set of every workout. Granted, not all crossfit gyms/boxes advocate this nonsense, but some do. You can't treat every practice like a game. Also, top crossfiters (everyone brings up Froning or however you spell it), didn't get that big and strong doing only WODs, kipping pull ups, and burpies. I'm sure they also do more traditional lifting, which will help even in WODs and whatnot. Crossfit, when used correctly, can be fun and a nice chance of pace, but only if it's done right, and should probably also include some "normal" lifting as well.
    No, it won't destroy your gains, and you can make progress doing it, but it's obviously not the most efficient (in terms of cost or time) to build a "Bodybuilding" physique. Of course, not everyone wants a bodybuilding physique, but for those who do, Crossfit probably isn't the best way to go after it, at least not exclusively. I also find that many Olympic lifts really aren't suited for beginners, especially if you're doing them for high reps and time. Focus should be primarily on form for a while before worrying about time, or form will inevitably go out the window in the pursuit of a better time. Of course, I'm sure some boxes place emphasis on form before throwing them to the wolves with snatches for time, but some don't, since people who just start out or want to try it for a week or so want to do a cool WOD, not spend hours getting proper form down for a snatch and clean and jerk. Also, screw kipping pull ups, haha. I saw someone doing weighted kipping Pullups the other day. Doesn't that defeat the entire point of both? Why kipp to make it easier, then add weight to make it more difficult?
    BC that's cool don't you know.lol

21. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post

You sir, are correct. And that's why I'm not "all in" on crossfit. I'll never preach that it's the greatest form of exercise, because exercise is user-dependent. I care more about strength and speed, which is why I follow 5/3/1 with metcons added in. I don't want to look like a bodybuilder. I'd rather be able to snatch 185 pounds than have 20" biceps (but I'm not saying you can't do/have both). Plus, I go to a box that does preach form first, and the rate of injury is extremely low through all age groups (we have high school kids to 65-year-olds). Everything is scaled appropriately. A 65-year old is not going to be doing box jumps, she'll do low step ups instead.

The problem with crossfit is that it has become too much of a business. In order to become crossfit affiliated (so you can label yourself as a crossfit box), you have to agree that you will not make any of your employees/coaches sign a non-compete. Crossfit HQ wants a box on every block. That leads to sh*tty "coaches" opening up boxes because they think they'll make money.

So I definitely agree with you. If you find good coaches and are willing to educate yourself, you can make crossfit work exceptionally well - if that's how you want to exercise. But I won't ever hate on someone for doing a bro-split if that's how they want to work out.

Haha, and I get the beef with Kipping pull-ups. I do weighted, strict pull-ups on my 5/3/1 overhead press day as accessory work. I only bust out kips during a metcon when I'm focused on speed. To me, they are more of a conditioning exercise than anything else.
  22. CrossFit and bad form? A reality?

You sir, are correct. And that's why I'm not "all in" on crossfit. I'll never preach that it's the greatest form of exercise, because exercise is user-dependent. I care more about strength and speed, which is why I follow 5/3/1 with metcons added in. I don't want to look like a bodybuilder. I'd rather be able to snatch 185 pounds than have 20" biceps (but I'm not saying you can't do/have both). Plus, I go to a box that does preach form first, and the rate of injury is extremely low through all age groups (we have high school kids to 65-year-olds). Everything is scaled appropriately. A 65-year old is not going to be doing box jumps, she'll do low step ups instead.

The problem with crossfit is that it has become too much of a business. In order to become crossfit affiliated (so you can label yourself as a crossfit box), you have to agree that you will not make any of your employees/coaches sign a non-compete. Crossfit HQ wants a box on every block. That leads to sh*tty "coaches" opening up boxes because they think they'll make money.

So I definitely agree with you. If you find good coaches and are willing to educate yourself, you can make crossfit work exceptionally well - if that's how you want to exercise. But I won't ever hate on someone for doing a bro-split if that's how they want to work out.

Haha, and I get the beef with Kipping pull-ups. I do weighted, strict pull-ups on my 5/3/1 overhead press day as accessory work. I only bust out kips during a metcon when I'm focused on speed. To me, they are more of a conditioning exercise than anything else.
    Is the snatch really a functional movement though? Clean and jerk I could see, and squats and deadlifts, shoulder/push press, etc I could see being "functional." Who has ever naturally lifted something by snatching it? I also think that people underestimate the functionality of strong biceps, haha. They're great for carrying boxes and stuff if you have to hold them out in front of you. Higher rep sets and direct bicep work make carrying things easier, and most people are more likely to carry lighter objects around than lift a few hundred pounds above their heads on an average day, no? Plus, who doesn't like big biceps.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

23. telling someone to incorrectly lift something or jerk their body over a bar in the worst form possible just shows that cross fit needs its own category- the same category that defines ridiculousness and stupidity.
    Vein Nutrition Rep InstaGram Smith_69_16
    https://www.veinnutrition.com/
    Use code Smith10 for 10% off your order

24. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Is the snatch really a functional movement though? Clean and jerk I could see, and squats and deadlifts, shoulder/push press, etc I could see being "functional." Who has ever naturally lifted something by snatching it? I also think that people underestimate the functionality of strong biceps, haha. They're great for carrying boxes and stuff if you have to hold them out in front of you. Higher rep sets and direct bicep work make carrying things easier, and most people are more likely to carry lighter objects around than lift a few hundred pounds above their heads on an average day, no? Plus, who doesn't like big biceps.
    The snatch is probably the most debated Oly lift in the CF setting. They are optional at our box - if you don't feel comfortable doing them, the coaches will sub another exercise for you. We also do not do high reps with heavy weights. Basically, the snatch is a ballistic movement. It's functionality comes from its ability to increase your overall power output, which helps with sprinting and jumping.

25. Quote Originally Posted by BRUstrong View Post
    The snatch is probably the most debated Oly lift in the CF setting. They are optional at our box - if you don't feel comfortable doing them, the coaches will sub another exercise for you. We also do not do high reps with heavy weights. Basically, the snatch is a ballistic movement. It's functionality comes from its ability to increase your overall power output, which helps with sprinting and jumping.
    That's good, but I wouldn't recommend high rep snatches even with light weight haha. But it does sound like you found a pretty decent box, especially compared to what's out there.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bad form in Arnold and Frank's video here.
    By QUADMONSTER in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 01:19 PM
  2. good news and bad news
    By Skye in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 02:29 PM
  3. Bad form for Squats and DLs?
    By Ibench800 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 02:47 PM
  4. Good and Bad News