Developing a Freak

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
My name is Cole Dreyer and it is my goal to be a total freak and a great competitive bodybuilder. I am not a freak yet and I have not yet competed because I have a lot of frame to fill out to truly be competitive, and I am not really even close yet, but that is going to change! I have been a long time lurker on many boards and have liked AM for a while and just recently decided to join and begin contributing.

My goals with this log are to:

1. Be apart of and add to this online community
Share much more than the x’s and o’s of bodybuilding - I want to give a look into my life

2. Share, spread and facilitate discussion on anything bodybuilding/training/fitness etc. I read a ton of articles and research a lot and love to write and share my thoughts regarding certain topics that interest me and so I plan to share such posts quite frequently. Writing little synopsis of things that I read helps me internalize it better and so when I post such things it's out of desire to help others learn and for myself to learn from others. It makes us all better.

3. Share videos of training and discussion on things as it pertains to bodybuilding and training.

I love bodybuilding and fitness and it is a huge component of my life. I work full time in the fitness industry as a director at an athletic performance training gym that is opening in September, an in person personal trainer and an online personal trainer/coach for physique consultation and transformation. My goal is to someday own my gym and work exclusively online as a bodybuilding prep coach with competitors.

I hold a B.S in Exercise Science and certification of ACSM E-CP.

The current plan of action:

1. Grow and grow a lot. Basically until I am rather enormous. I am 6’2 on the dot and currently roughly 243 first thing in the morning.

2. Recomp and diet as needed so as to not get overly fat. I am working with a coach so he is overseeing everything. It is very much a “we” partnership as we determine together what is most optimal and go for that. Very much a team effort BUT he is the bossman at the end of the day.

3. Once completing step two compete and then repeat step 1-2 until I am a freak and competing at a very high level.

This log will contain daily workouts and diet thoughts, comments and whatever else. It will also include various blogs, vlogs, pics and vids about me and my life as I like these logs to be much more then the "x's and o's" of training.

**I can't post pics yet because I don't have 100 posts yet but the moment I do I will post where I am at**

I currently have the pleasure of training solely at Rob & Danna Lynn Bailey’s Warhouse Gym which is a total blessing. Awesome hardcore bodybuilding gym that I certainly do not take for granted at all.

This is currently what I am doing for training

Training Protocol

SPLIT OVERVIEW
Chest and Arms Mechanical Stress Primary/Metabolic Stress Secondary
Back and Shoulders Mechanical Stress Primary/Metabolic Stress Secondary
Legs and Abs Mechanical Stress Primary/Metabolic Stress Secondary
REST
Chest and Arms Cell Swelling and Metabolic Stress Hybrid
Back and Shoulders Cell Swelling and Metabolic Stress Hybrid
Legs and Abs Cell Swelling and Metabolic Stress Hybrid
REST
Repeat

Diet Currently is this

Nutrition Protocol

Anabolic Emphasized Days (Utilized on Workout Days)

Meal 1:
12 Egg Whites
1 TBSP Coconut Oil
2 Cups of Spinach or Kale
Nutritional Breakdown
48g P, 8g CHO, 14g F

Meal 2:
8 oz Ground Turkey (93/7)
400g Sweet Potato
Nutritional Breakdown
50g P, 80g CHO, 18g F

Peri-Workout Nutrtion
Meal 3 - Preworkout Meal:
8 oz Chicken Breast
200g Sweet Potato OR Rice (keep the carbohydrates the same amount)
Nutritional Breakdown
55g P, 40g CHO, 3g F

Meal 4 - 15 minutes Preworkout:
*Minimum of 8oz Water Used
1 scoop of amino acids (BCAA or EAA depending on the individual, minimum of 2-3g Leucine)
25g carbs from Twizzlers, Rice Krispy Treats, OR Gatorade Powder
5-10g Glutamine
5g Taurine
10g Vegetable Glycerin
200mgs Caffeine
GDA of choice: 400mgs berberine OR 300 mcgs Chromium OR 300mgs Gymnema
***ADDITIONAL (only if cleared with me and affordable in your budget)
Miscellaneous stimulants
Miscellaneous nootropics
Miscellaneous pump ingredients
Nutritional Breakdown
N/A

Meal 5 - Intraworkout Meal:
*Minimum of 24oz Water Used
*Sipped between every other set if not every set
*Finishing drinking entire shake as you finish up your last exercise for the workout
50g of carbohydrates from Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin OR Waxy Maize OR Karbolyn
50g protein from Whey Protein Isolate or Hydrolyzed Whey
15g amino acids (BCAA or EAA depending on the individual, minimum of 2-3g Leucine)
10g Vegetable Glycerol
1g Agmatine
10g Glutamine
***ADDITIONAL (only if cleared with me and affordable in your budget)
Miscellaneous pump ingredients
Nutritional Breakdown
50g P, 50g CHO, 0g F

Meal 6 - Immediately Postworkout Meal:
50g protein from Whey Protein Isolate or Hydrolyzed Whey
50g carbs from your favorite Sugary cereal or snack (keep this zero fat and keep the source consistent. Examples are corn flakes, twizzlers, etc.)
Nutritional Breakdown
25g P, 25g CHO, 0g F

Meal 7 - Second Postworkout Meal (1 hour after finishing your immediate PWO shake):
8 oz Chicken Breast
400g Sweet Potato OR Rice (keep the carbohydrates the same amount)
Nutritional Breakdown
53g P, 80g CHO, 3g F

Meal 8:
6 oz Ground Beef (93/7)
1 TBSP Coconut Oil
1 cup of Spinach, Kale, or Broccoli
Nutritional Breakdown
35g P, 8g CHO, 26g F

Nutritional Breakdown
343g P, 330g CHO, 64g F

Recovery Days (Utilized On Rest Days)

Meal 1:
5 Whole Eggs
1 TBSP Red Palm Oil
2 cups of Spinach or Kale
Nutritional Breakdown
39g P, 9g CHO, 38g F

Meal 2:
8 oz Ground Turkey (93/7)
1 TBSP Coconut Oil
Nutritional Breakdown
42g P, 0g CHO, 23g F

Meal 3:
4 oz Sirloin Steak
1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Nutritional Breakdown
23g P, 20g CHO, 28g F

Meal 4:
8 oz Chicken Breast
1 TBSP Coconut Oil
Nutritional Breakdown
46g P, 0g CHO, 18g F

Meal 5:
5 Whole Eggs
2 cups of Spinach or Kale
1 oz Almonds
Nutritional Breakdown
39g P, 10g CHO, 38g F

Meal 6:
4 oz Sirloin Steak
1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Nutritional Breakdown
23g P, 0g CHO, 28g F

Nutritional Breakdown
216g P, 60g CHO, 190g F

You can also find me on various social media:

Facebook: Cole Dreyer
IG: coledreyer
YT: Cole Dreyer

I appreciate everyone who follows along!!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Here is today's training session.

I typically train from 7am-9/10am. I get up at 5am, have my first meal and a liter of water down by 5:30am and continue to hydrate right up until go time.

8/25/16 - Cell Swell Chest/arms
Weight:
Cardio: none

Flat smith machine press: *multiple warm ups prior* 18x245

Bb curl: *multiple warm ups prior* 16x85lbs

CGBP: *multiple warm ups prior* 15x2251

Incline fly/press MR: 12x70ps/12/10/8/8ish/8ish

Prime preacher curl MR: 12x90/12/12/12/12/12

Tricep dip machine MR: 12x70ps/12/12/10/10/8

*daily cell swell*
100 reps of tricep rope press down right into 100 rope hammer curls right into 100 bicep movement of choice

Excellent cell swell and metabolic hybrid session today. From 8 days ago when I last did this workout I jumped up 20 pounds on both flat bench and close grip bench press for the 15-20 rep range.

This really encourages me because it tells me my body is growing and recovery like nuts. Especially when other performance indicators such as the quality of pumps and contractions are improving weekly too. This is backed up by the last several sets of progress pictures too.

And this is simply a result of the basics that have been breached I've the last couple decades: muscle growth is primarily a Product of progressive training and progressive eating.

It works.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
8/26/16 - Cell Swell Back/shoulders
Weight: none
Tbar row w/ multiple warm up potentiating sets: 15x200lbs - first 10 reps were good but last 5 were a little iffy on form*

Wide grip assisted pull ups: 12x120, 12, 12, 8x100, 8

Smith behind head shoulder press: *multiple
warm up potentiating sets prior to work set* 20x165*

Prime lateral raise machine MR: 12x140/12/12/10/10, 12x130/12/12/12ish/10/10

Prime Extreme Row MR: 12x1pps+10ps/12/12/12/10/10

Cable crunches/lying leg raise: 30x50/30xbw, 30x60/30, 30x70/30, 30x80/30xbw, 30x90/30

*daily cell swell for arms*

Another excellent session today. Beat all numbers from this same session 1 week ago.

Most notable would have been the tbar rows. As you saw above I was a little overzealous I think as there was a little sloppiness in the last 5 reps. However my back and lats were pumped afterwards so it wasn't like it was so heavy the muscle wasn't trained.

The wide grip pull ups felt awesome after the tbars - getting a deep stretch at the bottom of each felt real good after the heavy rows.

Shorter season today as it took only about 80 minutes or so.

After training my wife and I packed up Brody boy and ourselves and drove to West Virginia for a wedding I am in tomorrow. Should be a good time. Rehearsal is tonight so gonna do that but not stay out as I gotta get home and to sleep to train legs tomorrow in the morning!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Alright so today's topic of discussion is a bit of a rant lol so bare with me.

Please, if you are truly serious about wanting to grow muscle tissue and get stronger, use the 2.5lb and 5lb plates.

I see too many people (especially guys) in the gym NOT use these lighter weight plates. Why is this a problem? Because most people will try to jump from using 25lb plates straight to 35lb or 45lb weight plates when they simply are not strong enough nor have the proper form to increase their load by 20-40lbs and then do the exercise in question safely, properly and efficiently. They end up not being able to do the weight but time and time again they continually try to make these large jumps.

What is BETTER is to use these smaller plates and make incremental increases in weight. Over time this will lead to putting on 35lb and 45lb plates and you will actually be able to lift those loads properly and efficiently.

I know it's not sexy or cool, infant it can be humbling. But you know what? IT IS STILL PROGRESS! And that is what you should ultimately care about day in and day out in the gym.

Progress.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Traveled to WV over the weekend for a wedding I was in.

It was a good time but frankly I regret saying yes to be in the wedding party. I really wasn't great friends with the individual and there were just some other things that made me realize I had made a mistake.

But oh well live and learn.

Heading back home and getting ready for fantasy football draft tonight!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Started the week off RIGHT. Great chest and arm session that saw numbers and reps increase in everything. Progressive overload at its finest.

8/29/16 - Mechincal chest/arms
Incline bb pause reps/flat bb/decline bb giant set: 4x240/6x225/10x195, 4x250/
4x225/7, 2x260/6x225/8x195, 1x260/4x225/6x195*
Standing bb curl * denotes first working set : 6xbar, 6!6x50, 6x80, *6x105, 6, 6, 4
Ez bar skull crusher * denotes first working set: 6x35, 6x65, 6x85, *6x105 6, 6, 3
Incline fly/press machine MR: 6x80lbs per side /6/6/6/6/5

*dailycell swell for arms*
Rope press down: 100x50
Rope hammer curl: 100x40
Prime preacher curl: 50x7.5/50x2.5

My coach was please with progress too and upped my training day food and off day food considerably.

Eating roughly 4-4200 calories on training days and now probably 3300ish on off days.

Weight was 246.0 and I am certainly the leanest I have ever been at this weight BUT I am not very lean either - holding some fluff but my body is growing like nuts so it's clearly happy with where it's at now.

We are pushing to get me into the 260s with the same or better condition.

100 posts is coming!! Then I can post some pics and vids in here for some better context!

Hope you guys had a great start to your week too!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
As a physique minded person who trains to improve the aesthetics and functionality of your body, your should know some basic anatomy and physiology.

Jean Fernel makes a fascinating point here:

“Anatomy is to physiology as geography is to history; it describes the theatre of events.”

I really cannot disagree with this. Even for the lay person athlete or exerciser it is important to understand some base anatomy & physiology terminology and bodily structuring and how it all interacts together.

Don't let yourself continue in ignorance - you will find that you take greater ownership in your exercise and training if you do invest in some learning.

Heck, make it easier on yourself and talk to someone who understands these things fairly well and you will be surprised at how simple a lot of it is to understand and how it can be immediately practical to you.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
8/30/16 - Mechincal back/shoulders
Weight:

Tbar/prime bent over machine row/snatch grip rack dead: 4x4p+10 pause reps/6x2pps+25ps/8x425, 4x4p+25 pause reps/6x2pps+25ps/8x425, 4x4p+25 pause reps/6/8x455, 3x4p+25 pause reps/6/3x475

Db side laterals potentiating sets *started at 15lb DBs and jumped 5lbs up until I felt like I hit working loads for 6 reps*: 10s, 15s, 20s, 30s, *40s, 40s, 40s, 6ishx40s

Seated bb shoulder press *lots of warm ups of 6 reps pyramiding up by 10-20 pounds*: 6xbar, 6x95, 6x135, 6x155, *6x185, 4

DB shrugs, pyramid sets of 6 up to working sets: 6x50kgs, 6x55kgs,*6x60kg, 6, 6

Prime pull down machine Muscle round: 6x70/6/6/6/6/6x2

**daily cell swell for arms**
Rope press down: 100x50
Rope hammer curl: 100x40
ISO call curl; 50x7.5/50x2.5

While this isn't the hardest day on paper it certainly takes the longest.

Something about that initial mechanical loading giant set takes a long while to both warm up and go through it. Just a lot of heavy work through the back.

That and then some heavy shoulder movements make it for a bit of a marathon session.

And that's not bad at all, just is what it is. The good news is strength and reps increased on almost every movement.

I really love the Prime brand of machines. Each has three points you can place the weight and depending on what position you choose will determine where in the movement the peak resistance is. Placing the most resistance at the peak contraction point gave a wicked contraction. Plus the stretch that each rep gave through the range of motion was awesome.

Another step in the name of optimal progress today.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Personal & life change.

That is "why" you must have for embarking on any diet or training plan to achieve a physique change goal you have.

You can have the best laid plans before you - all of the "x's and o's" outlined perfectly when it comes to training and nutrition but if you do not have what is between your ears programmed rightly then you will be a far cry from reaching your full potential.

The first thing I do when I sit down with any prospective training client, both in person and online, is to ask and determine their why. This can sometimes take some work for both them and myself to figure out but once we do a BIG part of the goal is already achieved - we now just have to follow through with the plan required to get to that goal.

The problem with this? It isn't sexy - many just want the best laid plans and do not consider how much their why for personal change plays into their ultimate success.

Never discredit the power of why.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
8/31/16 - mechanical legs ***do following glute activators as warm up**
2:1 supine hip thrust
Hip thrust
Clam shells

Weight:

High bar squat/front squat machine/hack squat: 4 pause repsx425/6x5pps/8x3pps+10ps, 4x455/6x5pps/8x3pps+10ps, 2x475/6/8

Sumo dead pause reps/rack pull below knee/db sldl: 4x405/6x455/10x75s, 4/4/8, 2/4/6

Seated calf raise *multiple warm ups of 6 reps pyramiding weight up*: 6x70ps, 6x80psx3

Donkey calf raise: 8x340, 8x360, 8x360/8x260/8x160x1 - some weird tension on my left vastus medialis that felt real odd. Hadn't had it happen on this machine so just did one set

Cable crunch: 15x100x4

Lying leg raise: 15xbwx2

***daily cell swell for arms****

Today felt like a grinder in that the workout was just tough. It was VERY good just also quite tough. Still improved on almost all sets of each lift from this same session 8 days ago.

Have squatted 475 in a long while but the two pause reps felt pretty good - felt stable through the lift and kept tension through the leg musculature.

Rack deads from below the knee feel incredible through the hamstring glutes and especially the back. It just feels like I'm forcing growth in those areas with each rep because those tissues have all of the tension.

Solid session today and left feeling totally beat.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Off day today which is great. Really enjoy off days and the off day diet.

I am going to the gym today but that is to meet with a potential coaching client. He is looking to get into powerlifting competitively and is toying around with the idea of doing a meet roughly a year from now but really wants to break some great numbers.

Getting together to assess lift technique and talk about what I would have him do to prepare him for the platform.

Other then that continuing to do some work for the new gym and other clients.

And absolutely watching the college football games tonight!!

So glad football is back!!!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Busy day yesterday and never had a chance to get in here to post.

Things at the new gym is picking up that keep me busy as well as programming for a new client this week. He is just getting into powerlifting and wants to get in the platform within the next year so it's going to be fun to get him ready for that.

The two sessions (yesterday and today) were quite good. They were also humbling because I know I need to VASTLY improve my contractions, especially in the 12 + rep range with higher loads.

It sort of pissed me off at first but that's my selfish pride and arrogance getting in my way. Thankful for learning this and having people in my corner to point this kind of thing out now opposed to not continuing to focus hard on this and then time passes and I'm not any better at this.

9/2/16 - Cell Swell Back/shoulders

Weight: none

Tbar row w/ multiple warm up potentiating sets: 17x150lbs - much better contractions here with a slightly lighter load

Wide grip assisted pull ups: 12x120, 12, 9ishx100, 9ish, 8

Smith machine shoulder press: *multiple warm up potentiating sets prior to work set* 20x175

Cybex lateral raise machine MR: 12x30/12-12/12/12/12, 12x50/12/12/12/12/12

Prime Extreme Row MR: 12x1pps+20ps/12/12/8/8/8
Cable crunches/lying leg raise: 30x90/30xbwx2 - normally do abs on leg days but opted to split it between today and finish the rest tomorrow

*daily cell swell*

9/2/16 - Cell Swell Chest/arms

Weight:

Flat smith machine press: *multiple warm ups prior* 17x255

Bb curl: *multiple warm ups prior* 14x90 - torso rocks WAY too much here

CGBP: *multiple warm ups prior* 15x225

HS Decline press MR: 12x1pps/12/12/12/12/12

Prime preacher curl plate loaded machine MR: 12x45lbs/12/12/10/8/8

Tricep dip machine MR: 12x75ps/12/12/10/8-10/

*daily cell swell*

Today we are spending today with my mom and mother in law. My mom is up visiting our new place and seeing the area that we are living in now. Going to a cool quaint little town to poke around some shops and things.

Plus there is a really good coffee shop there too they tell me so I look forward to that.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
I have said this before and I will say it again the best exercise program is the one where you cannot take anything away from it.

In other words the best programming for any person, regardless of skill level and what their goals are, is the one where there is no extra fluff. Where every single item on that plan is needed and necessary because it relates directly to the goal.

Thankfully when we follow this philosophy it takes away a lot of the stress of exercise programming. We stop ourselves short of getting caught up in worry that a program is or isn’t good enough. It helps keeps our minds focused on the goal of the program and keeps on track to being specific for that goal and it will lead us to a finished program that is simple in its demands and not cluttered with extra unneeded stuff.

How do I know this is true? If you ever have the opportunity to look at a program by a world class trainer or strength coach (which I have, Coach Bill Gillespie, Head strength coach of Liberty University and has previously worked for the Seattle Seahawks as well as the New York Jets too I believe) you will see what I am talking about. It will be highly specific to the person/athlete and their function BUT it will never have a component that is not necessary. The top trainers and strength coaches have, in part, reached the level of professional success they have because they know how to perceive the need(s) of the trainee/athlete/person and how to exactly go about programming to achieve the goal.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
9/4/16 - cell swell legs
SL/Romanian Dead: *multiple potentiating sets* 19x275
Front squat machine: *multiple potentiating sets* 20x4pps
Blood flow restriction prime leg ext: 20x46, 20x90, 20x135
BFR prime Lying leg curl: 20x90lb, 15, 12
BFR calf raise: 20x135x3
Donkey CR/seated CR/leg press CR: 15x260/15x50ps/30x175, 12x280/15/30x175
Plate crunch MR: 8x25/8/8/8/8/8
*daily cell swell*

Had my wife today as a training partner which was great. She goes hard in the paint and kills it. Definitely trains hard and will go rep for rep set for set with me on any workouts we do together. A total blast to do what I love with whom I love.

Watching Notre Dame/Texas this evening and hanging out on the boards!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Over my years of being a personal trainer both in person and online I see the continued trend that some believe if a workout feels hard, if it makes them sweat and if it makes them hurt then it means it is a good workout.

I also have seen and heard other trainers say, do and believe this.

The truth is none of those factors equate to a good workout necessarily. It is very possible to do something that feels hard, makes you sweat and even makes something hurt (which is normally not good unless it's muscular tension based) and not have a good or productive workout or training session.

A good training session always:
- is programmed 100% for the individual goal
- is programmed as a part of a greater mesocycle
- is very specific in purpose and what outcomes are looking to be achieved from that individual session and part of the whole
- is appropriately challenging but does not hurt the trainee nor hamper their recoverability
- always centered around good movement mechanics and exercise selection.

Train smarter to the learn how to properly train harder. Don't just "train harder".

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Off day today and it is much needed.

I have been waking up the last couple days after a solid 7-9 hours of sleep not feeling rested at all. I also have been much more irritable and inpatient lately which are my two initial tale tell signs of overreaching and cns fatigue. Conferring with Alex we think I will enter a full blown period of being overreached in the next 1-2 weeks in which we will make changes to scale some things back to set up then for another push.

It does make sense though, the last 3-4 weeks have been pretty stellar training wise and my strength has been climbing family rapidly. I think my CNS is just starting to catch up (or lag behind rather) with my activity out put.

I took a nap today which has helped somewhat but not too much.

Just chilling this evening, making food in bulk for the week and watching the FSU/Ole Miss game.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
9/6/16 - Mechincal chest/arms

Incline bb pause reps/flat bb/decline bb giant set: 4x245/6x225/10x195, 4x255/4-6x225/7x195, 2ishx265/4-6x225/6x195

Standing bb curl * denotes first working set : 6x50, 6x80, *6x90, 6x100, 6, 2x105 - scaled back slightly to ensure improvement in contractions in the biceps

Ez bar skull crusher * denotes first working set: 6xbar, 6x65, 6x85, *6x105, 5

Incline fly/press machine MR: 6x90lbs per side /6/6/6/6/6

**daily cell swell**

Another step in the right direction today. Felt good and decently strong in the gym and pumps and contractions improved. Saw weights and reps increase on the compounds which was awesome.

Here are vids from today.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards

Incline bb pause reps/flat bb/decline bb giant set: 4x245/6x225/10x195, 4x255/4-6x225/7x195, 2ishx265/4-6x225/6x195

Standing bb curl * denotes first working set : 6x50, 6x80, *6x90, 6x100, 6, 2x105 - scaled back slightly to ensure improvement in contractions in the biceps

**daily cell swell**

Felt like a step in the right direction was taken today. Training felt good, pumps in the chest and arms were really good actually and I felt that contractions improved from the previous session.

Another step on the path.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Muscular hypertrophy and getting lean is what most people in the gym are after - especially if they realize it or not.

You here people say "I just want to be or look tone, fit, tight, built, muscular, etc." which is all code for muscular hypertrophy and then being lean enough to be able to see it.

While there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat we know, thanks to awesome people like Brad Schoenfeld, that the key points that lead to muscular growth are from a training standpoint:

- mechanical tension via volume and progressive overload
- muscular damage via the stimulus of resistance training
- metabolic stress that is a product of correct training.

Yes, there are some other critical factors that play into it as well, such as intensity, diet and recoverability, but from a training stand point if your programming includes the above three then you are on the the right track.

http ://rippedbody.com/bryan-krahn-online-coaching/

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
I read this article a little while ago and I thought it was very pertinent the individual who is considering hiring a diet & physique consultation coach.

In my experience, both with online and in person clients, some folks believe that the act of hiring someone to provide nutritional and exercise counseling and training is the magic "flip of the switch" that will take them from being fat and out of shape to in shape and sexy. As if this singular act guartanees them success.

The truth of the matter is that is only the first step of a journey towards your goal that requires a lot of work, effort and personal life change from you. This is especially true if you are someone who needs to lose 30lbs or more as that won't be accomplished in the short term.

A coach will not:

1. Give you the definitive "why" you are seeking physique change - you need to have that firmly established

2. Will not provide a sudden and final nutritional plan that will guarantee results - we can give guidance in a trial and error process to learn what style of dieting is most optimal for you goals while we work to educate you, and you educate yourself, about food, how it effects you and your dieting process to your goal.

3. Suddenly fix any bad food habits or mental blocks you might have: constant, snacking, not tracking your intake, lack of discipline in carrying out exercise and doing sessions, etc. We can help determine and identify such bad habits and explore the psychological reasons for them but we cannot just make them go away. Via a team effort we can work together to identify why you have them and develop actions and strategies to overcome them.

Check out the article here but these are some things I encourage anyone to consider before reaching out to hire someone like myself or others who does this kind of service for people.

http ://breakingmuscle.com/uk/nutrition/3-things-a-nutrition-coach-cant-do-for-you

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
The phrase "detox" drives me nuts and their prevalence in the health & fitness industry drives me nuts.

What drives me nuts is the vast amount of misinformation that the common "detox" product found at vitamin shoppe or health section of a super market is propelled by.

These products are nothing more then a herbal collection of ingredients that will make you pee and poop.

I encounter a lot of people who believe that these kind of detox products, or home made versions seen on shows like Oprah or Dr. Oz, are going to save you from all the "terrible and harmful toxins" found in the air and foods we that are keeping them from losing weight, feeling healthy and being fit.

First off this is flat out untrue in the big picture. The problem is people do not fully understand what a toxin is. A toxin is:

“poisonous substance, especially a protein, that is produced by living cells or organisms and is capable of causing disease when introduced into the body tissues but is often also capable of inducing neutralizing antibodies or antitoxins.”

This kind of toxin are the kind of things that when ingested or contracted by the body will ACTUALLY cause or give threat to immediate harm. These are the kinds of things that, when you ingest them, you need to get your rear end to the ER for a true medical detoxification which is no way even closely related to the herbal based kits you find in health food stores.

The "toxins" that such product marketing are referring too are never clearly defined on the product themselves and are loosely defined from such "authorities" that tout them.

From what I gather they typically refer to the GMO's, preservatives and artificial sweeteners and flavors found in food. When was the last time any of those killed or legitimately harmed any large group of people to warrant legitimate cause for real concern?

I am not saying those things are good for the body - but I am saying they are no where near the devils that they are touted to be and such little detox products are not in anyway going to remove those things from the body in in any significant or noticeable way.

In short, the "toxins" found in air or food are not killing you or at least not anywhere close to level of severity that is propagated by the health supplement industry.

http: //liftbigeatbig.com/nutrition-mythbusting-cleanses-scam/

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
9/8/16 - Mechanical legs
Weight:
Cardio:
**do hip thrusts, clam shells, Etc. ensure glutes contract on all mechanical sets. Do some working sets without belt.

High bar pause squat/front squat machine/hack squat: 4x455/6x6pps/8x3pps+25ps, 4x475/4x7pps/6, 4x500/6x7pps/6

Sumo deadlift/rack dead/db sldl: 4x405/6x455/10x35kgs DBs, 3x425/4x455/8, 1/4/6x37.5kg DBs

** had something pop up with work unexpectedly and so not able to do calves/abs today**

Heck of a session other then we had something pop up at work that warranted my attention asap so I had to leave prior to doing abs or calves. Totally on me as I should have gotten to the gym earlier BUT with that said the "meat and potatoes" of the workout, the two mechanical metabolic load hybrid giant sets, were awesome.

4x500 felt great and getting up to 7 plates a side on the front squat plate load machine felt good too. All in all a great session in terms of contractibility and moving some weight.

Spending the evening gearing up for the first NFL regular season game tonight!!! SO glad the NFL is back! Go hawks!!!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
I just realized I didn't post the last two workouts so here they are.

9/7/16 - Mechincal back/shoulders
Weight:

Tbar/prime row/snatch grip rack dead: 4x4p pause reps/6x205/8x405, 4x4p+25 pause reps /6x2pps+25ps/9x405, 4x4p+35 pause reps/6x2pps+25ps/7x455, 3x5p pause reps/6x2pps+25ps/6x455

Db side laterals potentiating sets *started at 15lb DBs and jumped 5lbs up until I felt like I hit working loads for 6 reps: *6x40sx5

Seated bb shoulder press *lots of warm ups of 6 reps pyramiding up by 10-20 pounds*: 6xbar, 6x95, 6x135, *6x155, 6x175, 6x185

DB shrugs, pyramid sets of 6 up to working sets: 6x60kg, 6, 6

Assisted pull up Muscle round: 6x120/6/6/4/4/4, 4/4/4/4x140/4/4

***Pre foam roll TFL prior to leg movements, ESPECIALLY GLUTES***

**daily cell swel**

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
A point to consider for people who are struggling with their weight and are not happy with how their current body change plan is going (which I bet is many of you reading this): MOST folks are good at keeping tabs on "what" they eat. Where many people struggle is "how much" they eat.

I do encounter a lot more folks as time goes on who are pretty decent at making "healthy choices" when it comes to meals or snacks. The problem is that these same people often way over consume said healthy choices not realizing that perfectly "healthy" "clean" and "Nutrient dense" foods can absolutely cause you to gain unwanted fat tissue. They can still put you into a caloric surplus which will lead to fat storage over time.

I absolutely affirm healthy food choices over less healthy choices and do not wish to convey in anyway that that is not important because it is. Rather give the same focus to the quantity that you eat as you do to the quality that you eat.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
9/10/16 - Cell Swell Chest/arms
Weight:

Flat smith machine press: *multiple warm ups prior* 15x245 - MUCH better contractions here. They need to feel like that on every single set but especially on these days. 15 was true failure and a RPE of 10

Bb curl: *multiple warm ups prior* 15x80lbs - much better contractions here. While scaled back a bit (5lbs and 1 rep) it wasn't certainly a better quality set.)

CGBP: *multiplr warm ups prior* 14.25x225 - 3/4 rep shy of 15 BUT contractions were WAY better then last time.

HS Decline Press MR: 12x50ps/12/8/8/8/8

Prime preacher curl plate load version MR: 8x45/8/8/8/8/8

Tricep dip machine MR: 12x70ps/12/12/10/10/8

*daily cell swell*

Very good session today. As you can see I scaled back the weight slightly or kept it the same as a week ago. This was done specifically to ensure that I focused on improving my contractions and I felt I was able to achieve that simply because of how much harder the working sets felt like opposed to last week even when the reps and/or loads were a little higher.

Very pleased with this. I am also loving experiencing the fact that I can make some pretty tremendous progress on low to moderate volume overly a week's period. Depending on the body part I am only at 8-16 working sets per week depending on the body part. When intensity is dialed in you can certainly start a growth phase (or really any phase) with lower volume and then progressively increase the variables of training, along with nutrition, and get stellar improvements without feeling like you have to jump up volume high right out the gate. We see that a lot in our sport, and for good reason because a higher volume approach does work very well for many people, but I believe before volume is jumped up high we can utilize a lot variables first.

This then set us up for continued awesome progression when we do choose to increase volume.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
I HIGHLY recommend you read this article. It does a great job explaining how people way over consume calories without even really realizing it.

Not that foods have "hidden" calories per se (they are not playing hide and go seek with you) but there are quite a lot of food items in the world that have WAY more calories then they appear too.

If you are someone who is weight and figure conscious, or someone who is just beginning to be, do yourself a favor and read this article just to help build an conceptual idea of how many calories are in common food items.

It is worth every word you read.

http://physiqonomics.com/eating-too-much/

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Dude. Sick squat.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
9/12/16 - Mechincal chest/arms
Incline bb pause reps/flat bb/decline bb giant set: 4x250/6x235/8x205, 3x260/6x235/6x205, 1x275/6x235/9

Standing bb curl * denotes first working set : 6x50, 6x80, *6x95,!6x100, 6x105,

Ez bar skull crusher * denotes first working set: 6xbar, 6x85, *6x105, 6, 6

Incline fly/press machine MR: 6x100lbs per side /6/6/6/6ish/6ish

**daily cell swell**

Good session today - my lovely bride trained with me which was great. It was motivating to have her right there with me set for set and rep for rep. She is a baller and a beast and could KILL IT at women physique or powerlifting.

She hasn't chosen to pursue fitness to that extent yet.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Good couple days of training. Yesterday due to some crazy life circumstances we had only an hour to do back and shoulders so it was a very typical bodybuilding style workout of 3-4 exercises for 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps.

For an hour it was good.

It's been a pretty stressful week for us but we seem to be getting out of the woods today and k expect everything to be back to normal tomorrow. Nothing has been terribly bad, no one is dying and my wife and I are great, but it was just a tough week professionally that made it hard to operate as normal BUT tomorrow we should be back to feeling and being normal.

Yesterday's painfully obvious fit tip

https://vimeo.com/182722304

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
9/21/16 - Mechincal chest/arms

Incline bb pause reps/flat bb/decline bb giant set: 4x255/6x235/10x205, 2x265/5x235/7x205, 1x266/5x235/6x205, 1/4/6

Standing bb curl * denotes first working set : 6x50, 6x80, *6x90, 6x100, 6x110

Ez bar skull crusher * denotes first working set: 6xbar, 6x85, 6, *6x105, 6, 1

Incline fly/press machine MR: 6x2pps+25ps/6/4ish/4x2pps/4ish/4ish - a little over zealous here

BFR cable EZ bar curls: 15x32.5, 13, 12

BFR over head ez bar ext: 20x32.5, 15, 15

**daily cell swell**

Alright everyone I am back in action! I was at a wedding over the weekend which made it a long weekend where I didn't train and so thats why I wasn't updating the log.

First day back today which felt good, My strength was just about the same as prior the 5 day break which I was happy about it. Even more, because of my new work schedule, I am back to 530am-730am training and with strength being about the same even at first thing in the morning I was pleased. I actually really enjoying training first thing in the morning so I don't mind it.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
I am not overly big on static stretching. This is mostly because we really do not spend any time in the stretched positions we put ourselves in when static stretching, there is no real life practical carry over from a functional performance and athletic standpoint and because I feel that various dynamic stretching is much more beneficial for most folks.

Now that is not to say that static stretching doesn't have its place. If you are overly tight in a specific area it can help and if you are an overly muscular athlete or a physique based athlete then I do think there is some merit in specific scenarios.

But for the majority of people who do regular static stretching for increased flexibility and mobility your not really getting the benefit and improvement you think you are.

If you feel tight or immobile in some areas odds are the problem that is causing those feelings is NOT localized to the muscle(s) you feel tight or stiff in. For example if you tight or immobile hamstrings then you need to take a look at the entire posterior chain and even up as high as the thoracic spine depending on the movement

Dynamic motions that related to everyday movement or athletic movement in which the tightness you are battling will do much more for you in terms of correcting your immobility then static stretching will.

Check this article out for how you can see this played out specifically in a common static hamstring stretch.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-stop-doing-the-standing-hamstring-stretch

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
9/22/16 - Mechincal back/shoulders

Weight:

Tbar/prime row/snatch grip rack dead at shin: 4x4p/6x2pps+25ps/6x405, 4x4p+25 /6x2pps+25ps/6x405, 4x5p/6x2pps+25ps/6x405, 3x5p/6x2pps+25ps/6x405

Db side laterals potentiating sets *started at 15lb DBs and jumped 5lbs up until I felt like I hit working loads for 6 reps: *6x35s, 6x40s, 6

Seated bb shoulder press *lots of warm ups of 6 reps pyramiding up by 10-20 pounds*: 6xbar, 6x135, *6x155, 6x175, 6x195

DB shrugs, pyramid sets of 6 up to working sets: 6x65kgs, 6, 6 - better reps here next time.

Assisted pull up Muscle round: 6x120/6/6/4/4/4, 4/4/4/4/4/41

Good session this morning. Still figuring and getting myself back to early AM training. Waking up isn't up the issue it's just getting the body back to being use to it. Just a little creaky haha.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
You hear often how whether your goal is strength, size or hypertrophy you need to always be doing heavy compound movements, especially heavy hip hinge compound movements such as the squat and deadlift.

The deadlift is an exercise that receives a lot of credit for making people very functionally-everyday-strong through the whole body. It is also given an enormous amount of credit in the muscular hypertrophy centered world as an exercises that will build a big thick back.

While no one exercise is ever really responsible in and of itself for eliciting extreme amounts of muscular growth (that is a product of the mechanisms that cause muscular hypertrophy FROM the exercises we do) I DO believe that when done correctly the deadlift can illicit phenomenal back development from top to bottom, left to right.

This in includes the traps, upper back muscles (the collective group that is), the lats and the spinal erectors.

It is the lats though that I find people have the hardest time feeling or contracting when doing the deadlift as a hypertrophy movement.

You may have heard myself or others uses the que "place your scapula in your back pockets" when doing various back and lat exercises to help properly engaged the lats. This is because when we depress our scapula we facilitate a better contraction through the lats during that movement.

This is important for the deadlift because if we do not try to depress our scapula but still perform the movement we effectively ensure that the lats receive very little or no tension during a deadlift.

To be sure, the dead lift's primary movers are not the lats - they are the musculature of the hips, glutes, hamstrings, spinal erector, traps and some quads.

However we can really make the lats involved when we:

1. Depress the scapula, which causes some slight shoulder extension, sets our scapula down in place thus exerting a contraction and tension through the lats.

2. As we then pull and perform the movement continue to depress the scapula and try to almost pull the bar through our shins, thighs and groin area as we complete the lift. Not that we need to drag the bar up our body but if we keep it very close and sort of "pull" bar into ourselves you will really get a good lat contraction.

And as thus, you can help make the deadlift (or its various forms) more lat friendly.

http://strengtheory.com/lats-in-the-deadlift/

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Off day today and tomorrow. It appears that I am entering an over reached period and so the decision was made to take two days off, eat and see what I feel like in the third day.

I have had the over reached symptoms that flare up the most commonly for me: restless sleep, progressive overload hitting a wall, training feeling extra hard and feeling total body exhaustion.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Research will tell us that muscular hypertrophy has a lot of relation and correlation to the volume of work done for a given muscle.

Research will also tell us that high frequency training, namely at least 2x/week, will elicit more hypertrophy gains then less frequent training.

I am a proponent for hypertrophy programming that is grounded on these foundational principles that are supported by scientific research.

I am ALSO a proponent of finding out what combination of volume, frequency and intensity is most optimal for the individual when hypertrophy is the goal.

In my experience with a variety of clientele each person has a "sweet spot" of synergy between these components of training that will give them specifically the most optimal results. While there are some universal truths when it comes to hypertrophy specific training they do not relate to each individual the same way.

The key to finding this sweet spot is to utilize tried and true periodization schemes and closely monitor and adjust variables one at a time to see what response is given and if it is more or less optimal then what was previously done.

Of course this is as it relates to training. I would be remised if I did not point out that the individuals nutrition and recovery-ability play enormous factors in optimal muscular hypertrophy.

http://shreddedbyscience.com/periodization-high-low-reps-strength-hypertrophy/

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
I firmly believe that if muscular hypertrophy is the goal you should absolutely utilize all forms of rep ranges. Typically you might read or hear that if you want to train for hypertrophy then you should train in the neighborhood of 8-12 repetitions primarily - and there is truth to this because scientific literature does support this.

However their are various growth responses that can be obtained via training in lower rep ranges of 1-8 and higher rep ranges of 15-30 +. Why limit yourself to just one style of rep range training when it is possible to get growth with the addition of these rep range style training?

In fact, some lower rep range training, which can help make us quite stronger, can have carry over to more traditional hypertrophy rep ranges to where you can use heavier weight and place muscle(s) under more tension and stress to generate even more growth response when using those rep ranges.

Don't limit yourself to just one style of rep range training "just because it is what is supposed to be done." They work within concert of each other.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
I often see people state when dieting you should never feel hungry - that it isn't necessary in the dieting process.

I personally disagree. I am NOT saying that if you feel hungry then you are dieting correctly and therefore guaranteeing weight/fat loss. Not at all.

What I am saying is that if you are trying to lose any appreciable amount of weight (say 20+ pounds) there will come a point in your dieting process that you probably will feel and do a little battle with hunger pangs.

To lose an appreciable amount of fat and see real body transformation you must consume less food and thus be in a caloric deficit. This will, at some point, probably to cause you to be hungry. You need to embrace this as part of the process. There are some little things you can do to help weather those times of hunger but there will be times were you will feel hungry.

http://www.sweatlikeapig.com/2016/09/02/how-much-hunger-is-acceptable-when-dieting/

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Started a new split today that will follow an upper/lower style of training.

The last 8 weeks my training was very intensity focused with moderate frequency and low to moderate volume.

The last two weeks my body has been giving me a lot of signs that it is over reached fairly good so time to alternate some training variables.

Switching gears to a higher frequency approach with undulating intensity of power and metabolic cell swell days. I will essentially alternate back and forth.

Will follow a 2 on 1 off schedule.

I was late to the gym today so I had to leave out 3 movements which was frustrating. If that's okay.

9/26/16 - Upper Power Push Focus

Flat BB bench press: 8x245, 5x265, 2x285
Prime Bent over row: 8x2pps+25, 5.5x3pps, 4x3pps+10ps
DB lateral raise: 6x15s, 20s, 25s, 30s, *6x35s, 6x40s, 6, 6x45s
Smith cgbp: 6x225, 6x245
Prime close unilateral pull down: 8x3p, 8x4p, 5
Incline Dumbbell Press: 8x75s, 8x85s
Standing bb curl: 6x95x3

Today's Fit Tip

https://vimeo.com/184432103

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Two things that you can be doing during a fat loss phase to help you main continuity and adherence to a nutritional plan that is tailored to that goal.

1. Utilize artificial sweeteners

2. Utilize fat free foods

Some might be quick to crucify me, thinking why would I advocate the use of food items that are processed and altered chemically and cause so many "damaging health" side effects.

Well that is just the kicker: they don't.

Well certainly not to the degree that the media today will tell you. In fact I know of not one serious health issue or related death to the regular use and consumption of artificial sweeteners and fat free foods that are chemically altered to taste like their fat-containing counter parts.

Why do I not mind the use of said things?

- They taste good
- They are lower calorie and lower macro and therefore more diet friendly - especially for those who are taking in lower calories/macros
- Are not going to kill you
- Are totally fine in moderation.

Do not make dieting harder then it has to be. There are tools available to help curb appetites and "hankerings" or cravings for certain foods without causing you to blow your diet.

#count #calories #caloriescount #macros #fitness #fatloss #weightloss #diet #health #nutrition #goals #legacybuilder #legacy #buildit

http://ryanwoodtraining.com/the-2-most-effective-fat-loss-tools-youve-been-avoiding/

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
9/27/16 Day 2 Lower Power Quad Focus - only two quad movements for this day. Going all out in 6 sets is enough.

High Bar Squat: 6x405, 5x425, didn't do third set due to the body aches I was battling. Picked 455 of the rack and felt as though my spine was going to snap.

DB SLDL: 8x75s, 6x85s, 5

Front Squat Machine: 8x5pps, 6x7pps, 5

Seated Calf Raise: 8x1pps, 8x55ps, 8x65pps

Donkey Calf Raise: 8x220, 8x320, 8

Weight cable crunches: 15x70, 15x90, 15x110

Lying Leg raise: 2 sets of 15 reps with body weight
** daily cell swell**

Decent session today. I could tell my body was still coming out of an over reached phase because EVERYTHING felt super heavy. Squats felt very heavy in particular but I powered through.

Really excited to see how the variable focus change from intensity to higher frequency treats my body and accelerates growth. Had a solid 9-10 were intensity was the name of the game and that is when my body started to have enough. Intensity is scaled back only SLIGHTLY during this higher frequency period and is also compensated for by following a 2 on 1 off in stead of a 3 on 1 off. The more frequent rest days should have me feeling good and rejuvenated for hitting pretty hard for two days.

Increasing pre workout carbs by about 30g. Looking forward to seeing how things pan out from here.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Pre workout meal timing.

How long should you eat prior to training to get the absolute best performance during your training session?

I personally like to consume a meal about 90 -120 minutes prior to when I will be warming up for my training session. I find this amount of time typically allows the body to digest and "work through" the meal you consumed.

This allows enough time to pass to where the body will actually be able to utilize those nutrients during the training window.

Yes the what you eat does matter as they can effect digestion. For example if you consume a dextrose drink like Gatorade 15 minutes prior to training that can be of benefit and of us to your body very quickly. But I will talk more about this later.

Your take away from this is make sure that whatever you do eat prior to training you give yourself enough time to digest that food so your body will utilize it most efficiently during training. It does you no good, and is rather uncomfortable, if you eat and then try to go train to quickly with a very full stomach.

https://authoritynutrition.com/eat-before-workout/?__hstc=115567385.23d318dc903f3679123895b775ed5462.1474591578038.1474591578038.1474591578040.2&__hssc=115567385.1.1474591578040&__hsfp=853240023

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Good upper metabolic session today. Really enjoyed the new movement selections as a whole. Not sure I loved the ones I picked for my back but we will see as time goes on.

For only 1 superset per body part I sure felt like I put a lot of work through the muscle and had some pretty good contractions.

9/29/16 - Day 4 Upper metabolic

HS horizontal row SS Lever edge pull down: 20x1pps/17x1pps, 20/16, 12x1pps+25ps/12x1pps+25ps

Prime plate load preacher curl SS DB hammer curl: 12x45/12x35s, 12x55/12x35s, 40 second stretch w/ 15s after 2nd set

HS incline press SS Magnum flat fly press: 12x2pps/12x144, 12x2pps+10ps/12x144

Smith Behind neck SP SS DB laterals: 12x1pps/12x30s, 12x1pps+10ps/12x30s

Tricep dip machine/over head cable ext: 12x2pps/12x42.5, 12x2pps/12x52.5ps

DB shrugs/rear delt fly: 12x100s/12x72, 15x100s/15x72

**daily cell swell**

Do you know what the three mechanisms of Muscular Hypertrophy are? Let me give you an overview.

https://vimeo.com/184873896

Painfully Obvious fitness tips of the last couple days.

https://vimeo.com/184874123

https://vimeo.com/184874197

https://vimeo.com/184874320

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Yesterday I talked about when to eat prior to training and exercise but I didn't talk about what those feedings should consist of.

There are several different thoughts on what the perfect macronutrient composition should be in the pre-workout meal. It is important to consider what type of training one is doing and what types of macronutrients the person in question responds best too. In short there is a lot of context that goes into determining what is optimal.

However I will give my recommendation for the person who participates in a training session that contains moderate to intense resistance training and moderate to intense cardio.

For this person I would recommend a meal that contains:

- 30 to 40 grams of a high quality complete protein that digests well. This will stimulate muscle protein synthesis & provide the flow of amino acids to our muscles during training and help jumpstart the recovery process.

- 40 to 60 grams of an easily digested carbohydrate source. This will help provide energy during training

- 10 to 15g of fat. This will help keep digestion at a steady rate. This is important especially if the meal is consumed 90-120 minutes prior to the session.

However understand this: what is equally important to the pre workout meal is the other meals you consumed the day before and earlier in the day prior to this meal. The food you consume a good amount of hours prior to the training sessions will absolutely have an effect too so give them their proper due.

#diet #nutrition #preworkout #meal #eat #train #trainhard #fitness #health #trainwithcole #legacybuilder #legacy #buildit

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
f your goal is to look great naked, do you need to do Olympic lifts?

Before you answer that question it's important to understand that any exercise you might perform in the gym is simply a tool to be used to complete a task for a specific outcome.

We see today a high popularity of Olympic style lifting amongst folks whose goal is to simply look better and drop some flub.

They are "new" in sense and grew widely popular with the advent of Crossfit and many people, both trainers and people who exercise alike, flock to them like they are the most innovative thing since the wheel.

What people fail to realize is that they:

1. Are tool like anything else and have a specific purpose and place.

2. They are a very specific tool and should be used if the client's desired outcome necessitates their use.

To answer the question above - no, I do not think they are necessary if your goal is to look better naked.

Here is why:

1. They do not cause one to burn more calories or lose fat any faster then a more traditional counterpart. That is dependent on several other critical things, namely diet and over all caloric expenditure, but a single exercise didn't suddenly give someone their desired results.

2. They are HIGHLY technique specific and should be performed by those who need to do them for a very specific outcome. If you are a collegiate or professional athlete, cross fit competitor, etc where Oly lifts will have direct "dynamic correspondence" then you should do them. Too often the lay person attempts to do these, has never done them before and has never been educated on how to do them properly and end up incurring injury or at best getting frustrated when they cannot perform them correctly and make no progress.

3. Much simpler exercises can be used to help you reach your goal. This goes off number 2. We don't need to do what is complicated to achieve a rather simple - looking good naked that is.

4. Just because something is hip doesn't mean you should do it. Oly lifts are popular because of crossfit and because people get bored too easily. That is not a good reason to do them.

5. Aesthetically speaking they do a poor job generating muscle hypertrophic (in my opinion). To effectively grow a muscle we have to place the tension of the load on that muscle. Oly lifts are very technique and explosive based. While you have to generate muscular force to do them they are not as effective at placing the stress (and keeping it there) of the loads on the muscle tissue itself being used.

Instead what you should do is refocus on your goal: look good naked, lose weight/fat, build strength and muscle, etc. and then follow exercise programming that will aid in that goal.

You have to define your goals forward and then live them backward.

http://www.theptdc.com/2016/08/should-your-clients-be-doing-the-olympic-lifts/

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Outstanding session today. Pumps were insane as were contractions. Starting with an all out set of SLDL made the hamstrings and flutes feel great when I got to the high n wide leg press super set with front squat machine.

And boy do I love that front squat machine. You can lock in perfectly to make the quads and glutes do all the work. Really felt great.

9/30/16 Day 5 Lower Metabolic/Cell Swell Hamstring/Glute Focus Focus

Straight Leg Deadlift: 15x285 - this can be better. Really work to make this movement perfect from a form and contraction stand point

Wide and High stance Leg Press super set with Front squat Machine: 15x5pps/15x4pps, 15/15 - pump was awesome here

Seated Calf Raise SS donkey calf raise: 15x1pps/12x220, 15x1pps/12x220

Cable pull through: 15x62.5, 15

Weight cable crunches: 15x100/15xbw
**daily cell swell**

https://vimeo.com/185044362

https://vimeo.com/185044472