Powerlifting Training Log and Stuff

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I've started a 5 month training cycle consisting of 2 months hypertrophy, 2 months strength, 1 month peaking. I've tried numerous powerlifting programs in the past that I've enjoyed but since I've switched to powerlifting a few years ago I've always had the dream of creating a program that I can call mine.

My estimated maxes for this cycle:

Squat-445
Bench- 365
Dead- 530

At a body weight of 270-275.

I'm not planning on making any weight cuts or jumps I just eat to eat and do it as much as I can.

This was week 1:

Day 1-
Bench 60% @ 220 3x8 paused
Pull ups (machine) with 150lb assistance 50 Reps total
Db rows 5x10 @ 70
Dips (same machine as pull-ups) with 150lb assistance 50 reps total
10 min bike

Day 2-
Skwatt 60% @ 265 3x8 ATG Paused
Good morning 4x10 @ 135
Hammer curl 3x12 @ 20
Preacher curl 3x12 (want to say it's a 25-30lb Ez bar) plus 10 on each side

Day 3-
Pull ups 135 help 50 total reps
Db rows 70@ 50 reps total
Db milt press seated 4x8 @ 80
Close grip bench 6x8 @ 225

Day 4-
Skwatt 60% @ 265 3x8 ATG Paused
Hammer curl 3x12 @35,40,40
Ez Preacher curl 3x12 15 each side

Day 5-
Bench 60% 3x8 @ 220
Pull ups 135 help for 50 total
Dips 135 help for 50 total
Db rows 70lb for 50 total

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sub. No deadlifts?

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Deadlifts tomorrow. Day before day one I tested my dead max did 500x2 touch and go. My lower back was fried.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Some general talk, my goal is to hit a 600 squat/ pull and 400 bench. I just turned 22 in July and lately my workouts I feel strong and more and more motivated everyday. Today was my engagement anniversary with the lady and I had to hit my bench. When I'm not working or lifting I'm just itching to hit the iron. I see others in my gym lifting heavy and I always want to throw it up heavy. Being disciplined and sticking to my plan is the priority. More and more everyday I'm starting to understand powerlifting is a marathon not a sprint.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 6 week 1.

Was supposed to do 2-3 sets @60% (320) deads for 8 reps but felt good so I did 1st for 13 reps. 2nd set for 11.

Stayed within range of 24 reps for hypertrophy.

4x8 Db milt press 80/80/80/85
3x12 cable hammer curls 100
Machine preacher 1x12@ 30 single arm.

2 set x 5 reps @ 30 (arms were fried)

Dropped it to 20 an arm for 10 reps

Time to eat!

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Forgot to mention for this 2 month block all my squats and pulls are no belt. Been really focused on bracing and learning to breathe properly. I don't use any straps only gangsta wrist wraps for my pressing movements.

Mostly use chalk.

Deads are currently conventional.

I plan once this month is over to switch to deficit pulls.

And plan to change squat and bench paused reps to touch and go.

I've been doing 10mins on the spin bike after each session to maintain some decent cardio since I already do enough of it at work.

My day 3s of the week I started doing conditioning with hammering tires and high rep Db rows.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 1 week 2:

Just got home from the gym feeling yoked!

Bench 2x12@ (62.5 %) (230)-Paused

Weight assist pull-ups superset with Db lateral raises. Used 135lbs of assistance and 20 pound Db for raises.

1st set 13pullups 12 Db raises
2nd set 12pullups 12 Db raises
3rd set 10pullups 12 Db raises
4th set 10pullups 12 Db raises
5th set 5pullups (switched to one set to failure Db front raise) 10 reps at 25lb db's

Weight assisted dips
1set (135lb assist) 20 reps
2set (120) 10 reps (assist pad sweaty so I couldn't stop sliding)
3set (wiped down machine) 20 reps

Db rows used 70lb Db (single arm)
1set 12 reps
2set 20 reps
3set 19reps

Wanted to get some more blood in the tris so I did one set to failure on cable rope push down
50lbs for 50reps non stop.

Finished with 10min spin bike and static stretching.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 2 week 2:

Low bar belt less paused squat
62.5% 280
1st set 10 reps
2nd set 14 reps

Low bar good morning
1st set 8 reps
2nd set 12 reps
3rd set 10reps
4th set 10 reps

Only weight used was 135lb

Machine preacher curls
3x12 @30lb each arm

Seated hammer curl
3x10 @ 30lb

Finished up with static stretching no cardio today I was so gassed from squats.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Had the day off from the gym today I was feeling it from the squats yesterday. Going to do some stretching and foam rolling later to get me prepped for tomorrow's upper back/assistance day.

Conditioning also tomorrow. Noticing my cardio has gone up a little since doing spin bike after training. I'm just feeling great with my program so far.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Developing your own programming and tweaking it as time goes on is extremely re-warding, especially when find what is most optimal for you.

Will be following along!

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Thanks man. I've been having lots of fun with. I've been pushing myself hard and challenging myself. Day by day I'm getting more excited to achieve my total goals.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 4 week 2

Today was my upper back/ assistance day

I started with weight assisted pull-up machine used 135lb assist.
1 set 22reps
2nd set 13 reps
3rd set 10 reps
4th set 9 reps

Db seated OHP
3x8@80lb
1x10@80lb

CloseGrip bench
5x8@225
1x7@225
Last set was hard as hell and didn't help with the sweaty bar. I was dumb and didn't chalk up.

Used my Gangsta Wrist Wraps for both OHP/ CG bench

Finished lifting with Db rows
3x20@70

3x15 leg lifts

5x10 each arm sledgehammer slam on tire.

Overall today's training felt horrible i thought it would be a killer day after a rest day but I wasn't feeling it. Close grip and OHP felt heavier than usual.

The conditioning with the tire was probably the highlight of the day.

Did some "yoga" for 10-15mins once I finished.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Thanks man. I've been having lots of fun with. I've been pushing myself hard and challenging myself. Day by day I'm getting more excited to achieve my total goals.
That sort of intrinsic motivation is KEY. Keep on the path and it snowballs more and more each day and before too long it turns into a powerful force.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
That sort of intrinsic motivation is KEY. Keep on the path and it snowballs more and more each day and before too long it turns into a powerful force.
I'm looking forward to it. It's like I have this vision everyday.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
So question. What's your take on switching assistance exercises? How often?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
When they stop providing carryover to your main lift.
I see. Now what about reps for assistance. For example I'm currently in the hypertrophy phase of my program should I keep the reps in 8-15 range or can I go lower?

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 5 week 2:

Hit squats today.

Low bar beltless paused

Working sets 3x8@280 (62.5%)

These felt fasted then a couple days ago but the quads felt really good.

Machine preacher curl
30lb x 12 reps
x 12 reps
x 12 reps

Db hammer curls

35lb x 12
My form was dying on the last set

Finished up with 10 min spin bike and yoga for fat bastards!

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
Assistance work for powerlifting should do two things in my opinion.

1. Have direct carry over to your big 3 in both execution of the movement pattern and overall load.

2. Fill any holes you might have in your programming after you have your foundation set for your goal. In your case your goal is increasing the big 3 so your assistance work should, in addition to point number 1, include some work in rep ranges you don't normally train in if it will help your long term goal.

In your case doing some hypertrophy range work will bring just that, greater and different stimulus for muscle growth that you don't get from other rep ranges.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Assistance work for powerlifting should do two things in my opinion.

1. Have direct carry over to your big 3 in both execution of the movement pattern and overall load.

2. Fill any holes you might have in your programming after you have your foundation set for your goal. In your case your goal is increasing the big 3 so your assistance work should, in addition to point number 1, include some work in rep ranges you don't normally train in if it will help your long term goal.

In your case doing some hypertrophy range work will bring just that, greater and different stimulus for muscle growth that you don't get from other rep ranges.
Thanks man. This really helps.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So question. What's your take on switching assistance exercises? How often?
I like Jared's answer. Another is to push them balls out for PRe every week and when you can't PR, switch. Some people enjoy switching up, either often or just on occasion.

Myself, I know what area I need to hit and the sets and reps and which exercises lend themselves best to that scheme and pick whatever would be fun to do that day.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I see. Now what about reps for assistance. For example I'm currently in the hypertrophy phase of my program should I keep the reps in 8-15 range or can I go lower?
Just saw this one or I would have condensed my posts into one.

IMO This depends on the exercise. Lets give triceps as an example. For JM presses, sets of 3, 5, 8, 10, 12 work. Maybe even more, but I haven't tried it. For cross body cable pushdowns, you're looking at 15, 20, 25, 30, 50 reps.

8-15 is so restrictive. Eight could be too many for a big compound lift, but 15 might not be enough reps to fill the muscle with blood on a pumping exercise. It all depends, and I say don't limit yourself.

In a hypertrophy phase, you want max growth. So it's whatever it takes to elicit max growth. Training volume, blood volume, intensity techniques, frequency, whatever you can do, try it and learn from it.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Just saw this one or I would have condensed my posts into one.

IMO This depends on the exercise. Lets give triceps as an example. For JM presses, sets of 3, 5, 8, 10, 12 work. Maybe even more, but I haven't tried it. For cross body cable pushdowns, you're looking at 15, 20, 25, 30, 50 reps.

8-15 is so restrictive. Eight could be too many for a big compound lift, but 15 might not be enough reps to fill the muscle with blood on a pumping exercise. It all depends, and I say don't limit yourself.

In a hypertrophy phase, you want max growth. So it's whatever it takes to elicit max growth. Training volume, blood volume, intensity techniques, frequency, whatever you can do, try it and learn from it.
This really helps I'll have to tweak my accessories today after work when I hit the gym. Obviously I'll be keeping my set reps and weight for my comp lifts but with your answer that gives me a good idea on how to tune my assistance exercises to my advantage for this phase.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 6 week 2:

Bench (paused)
(62.5%) @ 230

1st set 12 reps
2nd set 11reps

Db incline flyes

1x15@ 30lb
3x15 @ 32.5lb

Weight assisted pull-ups
135lb assist

5x10

Superset w/ Db lateral raise

4x15 @25lb
1x9 @ 25lb

Dips on weight assisted machine
(120)

1st set 20 reps
2nd set 20 reps
3rd set 11 reps

Db rows

70lb@ 3x20

Finished up with 10min spin bike
And yoga/stretching.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 7 week 2:

Conventional deads
Strapless/beltless
(62.5%) @ 330lb

2x12

Machine preacher curls

30lb 1 set 15 reps
2nd set 12 reps

3rd set @20lb for 12reps

Hammer curls @ 20lb

1 set- 20reps
2nd - to failure @11 reps

Finished up with 10min spin bike/ stretching.

Taking tomorrow off. Tuesday will be the start of week 3 @65%

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
How long is this plan you wrote and how do the percent progressions change week to week?

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
How long is this plan you wrote and how do the percent progressions change week to week?
Plan is 5 months long. 2 month block of hypertrophy. 2 month block of strength. Then 1 month block of peaking.

Percentages increase by 2.5% weekly. Starting with week one at 60 all the way too 100.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Week 3 Day 1:

Decided to add in some more accessories for this weeks workouts gonna give it a try and see how my body responds/ recovers.

All main lifts are at 65% this week.

Today was bench.

Bench-(65%) @ 235

3x8 paused reps. (Wrist Wraps too)

Weight assisted pull-ups
Used 120lb assistance.

1 set 10 reps
2 set 10 reps
3 set 9 reps
4 set 7 reps
5/6 set 3 reps
7 set 8

Weight assisted dips
Used 120lb assistance

1 set 25 reps
2 set 15 reps
3 set 10 reps

Db rows (used straps)

3x20@70lb

Incline Db flyes

1x15@30lb
3x15@40lb

Db lateral raise
3x15@20lb
1x10@20lb

Finished with 10min spin and stretching.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Week 3 day 2:

Squats 65% @ 290

Used my belt/wrist wraps.

3x8

Good mornings @ 135

3x10

Preacher curl @ 55

3x15

Finished up with stretching. No cardio today.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
So I've been thinking, since I currently have 2 bench days and squat days what If I cut it down to 1 day each but do more volume for that workout and use the other 2 non bench/squats days as assistance days?

Is it more beneficial to train movement most or hit accessories hard? (Stupid question)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I've been thinking, since I currently have 2 bench days and squat days what If I cut it down to 1 day each but do more volume for that workout and use the other 2 non bench/squats days as assistance days?

Is it more beneficial to train movement most or hit accessories hard? (Stupid question)
In powerlifting, the three main lifts are the entire sport. They must be of the utmost priority. In a perfect world, we have the time and energy to train main and assistance hard and long. But sometimes choices have to be made and this choice is clear.

If you want to get more assistance in, just work faster. Supersets, tri sets, giant sets, sets of 20, 50, 100 reps. These are ways to crank that volume up without spending eons in the gym.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
In powerlifting, the three main lifts are the entire sport. They must be of the utmost priority. In a perfect world, we have the time and energy to train main and assistance hard and long. But sometimes choices have to be made and this choice is clear.

If you want to get more assistance in, just work faster. Supersets, tri sets, giant sets, sets of 20, 50, 100 reps. These are ways to crank that volume up without spending eons in the gym.
Do you ever do front/ box squats the same day as regular back squats?

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I tried cranking up the routine to have 6 exercises total including my main lifts. I felt like that was killing my body so I think Ima just really stick to basics for assistance and hammer the mains for the given reps.

I've been listening to podcasts and reading articles on how to Improve my lifts. It's like you said I have to keep tweaking things until I know what's solid and works then go about adding more if needed.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you ever do front/ box squats the same day as regular back squats?
Every time I squat I do a squat and then a front/high bar/box squat. Yes. That's been what I've come to understand is the most effective way to go about things.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Every time I squat I do a squat and then a front/high bar/box squat. Yes. That's been what I've come to understand is the most effective way to go about things.
You do all of them in the same workout or split them up throughout the week?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
He does them in the same workout. But you can split them up if you want. I do RDLS after squats and high bar squats after deads.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I split mine up too. I'm usually tanked after squats.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
He does them in the same workout. But you can split them up if you want. I do RDLS after squats and high bar squats after deads.
I split mine up too. I'm usually tanked after squats.
I'll have to try that. Used to love box squats after deads.

Do anyone of you ever do lunges, leg curls, and/or leg extensions? Or is mostly the different types of squats/ deads?

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I just want to say guys sorry if I'm nagging and asking all these questions but you all are helping me chase my dream and making me stronger along the way.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll have to try that. Used to love box squats after deads.

Do anyone of you ever do lunges, leg curls, and/or leg extensions? Or is mostly the different types of squats/ deads?
I do all of the above. I don't go heavy on extensions or curls, more so for blood flow. I like it superset them with little test and 20-50 reps each.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I do all of the above. I don't go heavy on extensions or curls, more so for blood flow. I like it superset them with little test and 20-50 reps each.
How many sets? Or do you just go by feel?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I do 3x12-20 on leg extensions and leg curls. Curls on squat day extensions on dead day. I dont do lunges, but i do really like (they suck, but are great) bulgarian split squats.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I do 3x12-20 on leg extensions and leg curls. Curls on squat day extensions on dead day. I dont do lunges, but i do really like (they suck, but are great) bulgarian split squats.
I've always been tempted to try Bulgarians but have the fear of eating ****.