Sparks' Never Ending Training Log

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Alright guys, I've had the pleasure of running a couple logs since I've become part of the AM community and I really like the idea of logging my workouts and discussing all things training and supplementation while doing so. This training log isn't geared towards one singular goal per say, (aside from being better than I was yesterday) but rather encompasses a larger portion of overall fitness. That's tough once you're set in your ways, but they say change and growth happens outside of your comfort zone, right? Hope to see some traffic in here soon!

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
Subbed (of course!) :)

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
As of about 4 weeks ago, I started to go into a caloric deficit to try and shed some BF, become a bit more athletic, and feel better in general. Up until a few days ago I was still stumbling around the process and trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Well, I've got what I need to be successful now so there's no way to go but up. I'm not trying to lose a drastic amount of weight, maybe 10lbs and then see where I'm at. I just want to get a bit leaner so I can be a.) more vascular and b.) have a better and more clear picture of what areas I need to bring up, as well as monitor progress without a lot of guess work. I'll be doing roughly 30 mins of fasted cardio at least 4 times a week, I'll be walking/running with my dog. On weekends when I have more time we'll probably go to some trails and have a bit more of a challenge for ourselves. I've also added in conditioning work/abs to my workouts to help improve my output in the gym and overall fitness level. I've just started tracking cals, and according to myfitnesspal.com I should be around 2600 per day to lose 1lb per week at my current stats. My sodium and fats are a little higher than what they recommend, as well as protein but with the intensity and duration of my sessions I think it'll be ok. I'll still try and get sodium down a bit more but I sweat ALOT. I'll post some pictures up soon, as well as a typical day's macro/caloric breakdown.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
14JUN16

Legs:

BB Back Squat:
12 X Bar
10 X 135
10 X 205
5 X 255 - 1 Count Pause In The Hole
4 X 265 - 1 Count Pause
3 X 275 - 1 Count Pause
2 X 285 - 1 Count Pause
Drop Set - 255/205/135:
6 X, 8 X, 10 X
Walking Lunges - Short Barbell, Guessing 35lbs?
12 Each Leg X 85 (If Bar Is 35lbs?)
10 Each Leg X 105 (?)
8 Each Leg X 125 (?)
High Stance Leg Press:
12 X 3 PPS
12 X 3 PPS
12 X 3 PPS
12 X 3 PPS
12 X 3 PPS
12 X 3 PPS
*Sets 2-6 Performed w/ 20 sec Rest Between Sets
Seated Calf Raises:
12 X 2 Plates
12 X 2 Plates
11 X 2 Plates
10 X 2 Plates
8 X 2 Plates

Conditioning:

Tire Flips: 1 Set of 10, 2nd Set Felt A Weird Tendon Feeling From My Forearm and Down Into My Hand. Not Painful, Just Like I Was Shocked Or Something. Stopped Doing Them, No Sense In Injuring Myself

Hanging Knee/Leg Raises:
10 X Each Side/20 X Straight Leg
8 X Each Side/18 X Straight Leg
8 X Each Side/15 X Straight Leg

First session in the books for the new log. Squats felt great, and the lunges with the timed rest interval leg presses had my quads pumped to the max. Not too sure what the tendon thing in my forearm/hand was about, I'm guessing I have poor wrist mobility and that's catching up with me on the tire flips. Dunno though.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Do I need to change my name to JSparks to sub here?

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Honestly...Dybya was a typo. Lol. Supposed to be JDubya

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
smith_69_sparks accounted for buddy

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Woo, first fasted cardio session in the books. According to the little health app that comes with newer iPhones, I ran 2.2 miles in about 20 minutes. Looks like the pup kept me at a good pace, haha. Anyway, I'm now drenched in sweat, but feel more awake than ever. I think this is the start to something good.

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
Woo, first fasted cardio session in the books. According to the little health app that comes with newer iPhones, I ran 2.2 miles in about 20 minutes. Looks like the pup kept me at a good pace, haha. Anyway, I'm now drenched in sweat, but feel more awake than ever. I think this is the start to something good.
I like to take yohimbine before fasted cardio (only time it really helps since I read that any insulin in the bloodstream will render it ineffective). it helps fat cells get broken down by the exercise. But I also have to admit that the only cardio I do is the roughly 2 hours of yard work each weekend. But as it s in the hot Florida sun, I end up drenched by the time I am through and do go through one or two bottled waters before it is all said and done.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
I like to take yohimbine before fasted cardio (only time it really helps since I read that any insulin in the bloodstream will render it ineffective). it helps fat cells get broken down by the exercise. But I also have to admit that the only cardio I do is the roughly 2 hours of yard work each weekend. But as it s in the hot Florida sun, I end up drenched by the time I am through and do go through one or two bottled waters before it is all said and done.
Right now I'm going about my cut unassisted, just diet and exercise for now. In my log with RagNo, I mentioned starting to take a product by Xenadrine. I can-x'd that s#it real quick, made me feel like I was going to die. The only supps I'm taking right now is a PWO, GCBE before my first meal of the day, and Scivation "X-Tend" BCAA's. No shakes or anything like that. I've recently read that Yohimbine is almost useless for fat loss if there's any insulin (I think it was insulin anyway) in your blood at the time of ingestion. I'll probably buy some in bulk. I've been looking to add some extra goodies to my supp lineup and CTD Sports looks to have some decent products on one of the sites on here (Nutraplanet?) for relatively cheap. Dunno yet, there's a myriad of great products on here so it's hard to make a decision, lol. smith_69 I haven't heard anything about an inbound package yet, so hopefully it didn't get lost, at least I'm assuming that's why you asked for my address. If you did send something, I'll hold on purchasing anything and do a mini-log within this log for anything you sent

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Right now I'm going about my cut unassisted, just diet and exercise for now. In my log with RagNo, I mentioned starting to take a product by Xenadrine. I can-x'd that s#it real quick, made me feel like I was going to die. The only supps I'm taking right now is a PWO, GCBE before my first meal of the day, and Scivation "X-Tend" BCAA's. No shakes or anything like that. I've recently read that Yohimbine is almost useless for fat loss if there's any insulin (I think it was insulin anyway) in your blood at the time of ingestion. I'll probably buy some in bulk. I've been looking to add some extra goodies to my supp lineup and CTD Sports looks to have some decent products on one of the sites on here (Nutraplanet?) for relatively cheap. Dunno yet, there's a myriad of great products on here so it's hard to make a decision, lol. smith_69 I haven't heard anything about an inbound package yet, so hopefully it didn't get lost, at least I'm assuming that's why you asked for my address. If you did send something, I'll hold on purchasing anything and do a mini-log within this log for anything you sent
hey buddy

it was sent to the home address by NutraTeam. so it should be there soon

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
15JUN16

Chest/Shoulders:

Flat BB Press:
15 X 135
12 X 185
10 X 205
5 X 225
3 X 225
Seated DB Ahrens Press:
10 X 30's
8 X 40's
6 X 50's
12 X 25's
Incline Reverse Grip Press - Straight Bar SS w/ Reverse Pec Deck:
15 X 55/12 X 90
12 X 70/12 X 90
10 X 80/12 X 90
10 X 80/12 X 90
Incline BB Press SS w/ Single Arm DB Shrugs:
8 X 185/10 X 100
8 X 185/10 X 100
7 X 185/10 X 100
Pec Deck SS w/ Machine Side Laterals:
3 Sets X AMRAP

Short, but good session today. Intensity was high and I'm still moving some decent weight for being in a deficit. Hopefully my pulls haven't lost much, if anything. We'll find out soon enough.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
50 minute bout of fasted cardio with the dog this morning, we walked this time. My feet and shins took a beating for it being the first time I'd run more than a mile or so in a while. Didn't want to risk anything injury-wise, so I upped the time and lowered the intensity.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
50 minute bout of fasted cardio with the dog this morning, we walked this time. My feet and shins took a beating for it being the first time I'd run more than a mile or so in a while. Didn't want to risk anything injury-wise, so I upped the time and lowered the intensity.
God bless my dog for keepin me movin...even when shins and knees say stop...

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
shin splints- ugg, had those once in Disney on the second day out of a 5 day trip. that's what I got for buying a cheap pair of sneakers; never again. one of the worst pains in the world. every step, ouch

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
I've recently read that Yohimbine is almost useless for fat loss if there's any insulin (I think it was insulin anyway) in your blood at the time of ingestion.
Yup, I read probably the same article as you. That is why I only use it when doing fasted cardio activities :D

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
16JUN16

Back:

Rack Pulls - Mid Shin:
15 X 135
12 X 225
5 X 315
5 X 315
5 X 315
5 X 315
Pull-ups SS w/ Seated Cable Rows - Close Grip, Back Straight No Leaning:
9 X BW/10 X 120
8 X BW/10 X 150
8 X BW/10 X 180
7 X BW/8 X 200
Straight Arm Pulldowns SS w/ Single Arm Cable Rows:
12 X 70/10 X 80
12 X 70/10 X 80
12 X 70/10 X 80

Didn't have any carbs since last night, so I felt pretty fatigued today. Not really weak, just more tired. Also, my feet hurt so bad that I was basically limping around the gym. I really hope I didn't tear a tendon and collapse my arch...lol some luck that would be. It's a pretty sharp pain on the inside of both feet, but the right is worse than the lest. Very weird, I've never had this before at all. Workout was short due to me limping around and it being pretty painful. Might have to take tomorrow off if there's no sign of progress.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
God bless my dog for keepin me movin...even when shins and knees say stop...
shin splints- ugg, had those once in Disney on the second day out of a 5 day trip. that's what I got for buying a cheap pair of sneakers; never again. one of the worst pains in the world. every step, ouch
I'll feel more bad about my dog missing his walk/run than if I miss it, so yes he's a huge driving force for me to get up early and do it lol. I'm literally limping around because it hurts so bad. No clue what this is.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Walking on heels, and walking on toes: Probably the single easiest way to strengthen your shins is to walk on your heels.

Toe taps: Standing or sitting, tap the floor with the foot for 2 minutes.

Heel raises: Stand on one leg with a chair turned backwards in front of you. Holding onto the chair back, raise up on your toes keeping your knee straight. Hold for 1 second. Slowly lower to the ground. Repeat 10 times. Toe raises: Same as heel raises only stand on heels and raise toes.

Toe points with ankle weights: Place a weight on your foot. While sitting; flex your foot and then point your toes. Do three sets of 10 with each foot. (you can start these with no weights.)

Exercise bands: Anchor an exercise band to an object on one end and loop the other end around your foot. Move your foot up and down and side to side against the band.

ALWAYS... warm up prior to exercise and stretch well after exercise.

also, take it easy as this could/possibly lead to a stress fracture. New shoes and get heal gels and foot pads for the soles of your shoes as well

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
T
Walking on heels, and walking on toes: Probably the single easiest way to strengthen your shins is to walk on your heels.

Toe taps: Standing or sitting, tap the floor with the foot for 2 minutes.

Heel raises: Stand on one leg with a chair turned backwards in front of you. Holding onto the chair back, raise up on your toes keeping your knee straight. Hold for 1 second. Slowly lower to the ground. Repeat 10 times. Toe raises: Same as heel raises only stand on heels and raise toes.

Toe points with ankle weights: Place a weight on your foot. While sitting; flex your foot and then point your toes. Do three sets of 10 with each foot. (you can start these with no weights.)

Exercise bands: Anchor an exercise band to an object on one end and loop the other end around your foot. Move your foot up and down and side to side against the band.

ALWAYS... warm up prior to exercise and stretch well after exercise.

also, take it easy as this could/possibly lead to a stress fracture. New shoes and get heal gels and foot pads for the soles of your shoes as well
Thanks man. A lot of the info here I read in various articles today. I always try and find a way to figure out and take of my own injuries before resorting to seeing a doctor. I think my main issue was that my calves generally stay pretty tight, I hit legs pretty hard the day prior and, my calves took a beating along with the tibia so that was probably where my downfall was. I didn't stretch after running or legs...so yeah I guess I'll be doing a lot of rolling and mobility exercises for the time being as well as keeping it up to help prevent further issues. It seems to have gotten a bit better today (knock on wood), so hopefully tomorrow I can still walk the dog pain free. I'm guessing it'll be a little bit before I'm running hard like I tried to yesterday. Oh well, as long as I can walk comfortably I should be ok. Static positions don't bother it and neither does bearing any weight, so I should be able to squat/pull/leg press fairly easily.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Jalf-Sparks finally subbing

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
40 minutes fasted cardio this morning, nothing crazy just walking. My feet are feeling better, but still kept things pretty low-intensity this morning. My shins still hurt pretty bad, so I've been stretching quite often.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
About to go hit arms in a bit, gonna do some rolling before I go. If I add any cardio will depend on how my foot acts throughout the session. Thinking of using the rowing machine again, low-impact seems to be the way to go for now.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
17JUN16

Arms:

Machine Preacher Curls:
20 X 50
10 X 70
8 X 90
Rope Pushdowns:
16 X 100
10 X 150
7 X 180
Drop Set - 210/170/130:
BB Curls:
12 X 65
9 X 85
8 X 85
7 X 85
Skullcrushers:
12 X 50
10 X 60
8 X 70
Seated Hammer Curls - One Side @ A Time:
10 X 30
10 X 35
8 X 50
Seated OH DB Tricep Ext:
16 X 45
12 X 65 - Full Ext, Pause @ Bottom
8 X 65 - Full Ext, Pause @ Bottom
8 X 50 - Failure
Cable Curls - Cambered Bar:
12 X 100 - Pause @ Peak
10 X 130 - Pause @ Peak
8 X 160 - Pause @ Peak
22 X 70 - Drag Curl, Continuous Reps
Pushdowns w/ Pad on Assisted Dip/Pull-up Machine SS w/ BW Dips:
10 X 70/7 X BW
8 X 70/4 X BW
12 X 50/4 X BW - Lowered Weight To Get Better Contraction In Tri's
DB Preach Curls - Both Arms Simultaneously:
12 X 25's
10 + 3 Rest Pause X 25's
7 + 3 RP X 25's

Mobility:
2 Sets of 20 Tibia Raises w/ 15lb DB's
3 Sets of Static Stretches (Plantarflexion/Dorsiflexion)

Tried some light calf work to see if that would be help anything, pain started coming about 10 reps in so I cut that. Might not be able to train calves efficiently for a while. At least I was walking pain free (mostly) today. I'll try some Tiger Balm on it tonight and see if it does anything. Wife and I are going out for some Thai tonight, so I might bust my calories a little but I've got close to 1500 left for today. According to myfitnesspal, I should be getting 2600-ish cals per day to lose weight (around 2900 when cardio is factored in within the app). Tracking weight training in the the app is more cumbersome than I have patience for, so the amount of cals/macros I should be getting per day isn't exact. I know I'm in a deficit still because I've haven't 3000 since starting using the app. Either way, it'll be alright to fill up a bit tonight. Staying on track is pretty easy when you've got this kind of tech at your fingertips.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Anyone have any experience with full body training? Or at least something to switch it up? I really think that I could hit most muscle groups more often, but I've been using a single body part split (with the exception of combining chest and shoulder, as well as hitting bi's/tri's as "assistance" work) that I may be missing out on some other aspects of training. I want to increase my volume, just don't know how to do it, and the fact that I've never been this dedicated to a cut means I have no clue how exactly I'm supposed to train during one.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Anyone have any experience with full body training? Or at least something to switch it up? I really think that I could hit most muscle groups more often, but I've been using a single body part split (with the exception of combining chest and shoulder, as well as hitting bi's/tri's as "assistance" work) that I may be missing out on some other aspects of training. I want to increase my volume, just don't know how to do it, and the fact that I've never been this dedicated to a cut means I have no clue how exactly I'm supposed to train during one.
german volume training

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
18JUN16

Legs:

BB Back Squat:
20 X 135
15 X 205
10 X 255
7 X 275
6 X 300
3 X 300
Walking Lunges - Short BB:
10 Each Leg X 105
10 Each Leg X 125
10 Each Leg X 135
High Stance Leg Press:
20 X 4 PPS
15 X 5 PPS
12 X 6 PPS
8 X 6 PPS*
7 X 6 PPS*
6 X 6 PPS*
4 X 6 PPS*
*Sets w/ 20 sec rest
Calf Raises w/ Sled Leg Press - Done DC Style with 4 sec Holds, 5 sec Negs, 15 sec holds @ Bottom:
6 X 1 PPS
4 X 2 PPS
3 X 2 PPS
Lying Hamstring Curls SS w/ KB SLDL's:
15 X "4 Plate"/12 X 20kg - KB In Each Hand
10 X "5 Plate"/10 X 20kg
10 X "6 Plate"/10 X 20kg
Leg Extensions:
25 X 105
20 X 150
15 X 210
10 X 210
5 X 120 - 10 sec Holds

No fasted cardio since the last update. Been trying to let this tendon issue sort itself out. No pain when squatting or pressing, so that's a plus. I rolled my calves on one of those bumpy rollers and those ****ers were super tight, painful to roll but I hit the middle, inner, and outer sides and I've felt a lot better since. I was able to do some light calf exercises in the leg workout, and using the DC method made sure that my form was tight. Great session, squats felt really good and the 300's are finally feeling good. Small jumps work better for me, instead of going from 225 straight to 3 plates. Strength is still going up from the looks of things, the deficit is going pretty well. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
german volume training
I've never tried this. 10 sets of 10 reps, right? Is that for every movement or just one specific one? Like, 10 X 10 of incline press, Flyes, etc. or just for the main movement? I think this would be good since I feel that some more volume would be needed for a deficit.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
smith_69 Package from Nutra apparently arrived at my parent's place last Wednesday, but they forget to tell me about it. They'll be shipping it my way soon, can't thank you and NutraTeam enough for the generosity!

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
smith_69 Package from Nutra apparently arrived at my parent's place last Wednesday, but they forget to tell me about it. They'll be shipping it my way soon, can't thank you and NutraTeam enough for the generosity!
glad to hear it bro and enjoy

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I've never tried this. 10 sets of 10 reps, right? Is that for every movement or just one specific one? Like, 10 X 10 of incline press, Flyes, etc. or just for the main movement? I think this would be good since I feel that some more volume would be needed for a deficit.
if you have a day with nothing else planed and dont have much to do the next day and really want to push yourself, go all out
i did 2 exercises for each body part with 40-60 % of max. make sure you have gatorade with you and throw in some bcaa's

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
19JUN16

Chest/Shoulders:

Flat BB Press:
15 X 135
10 X 205
8 X 225
4 X 245
3 X 245
3 X 245
Seated DB Ahrens Press:
12 X 35's
8 X 45's
5 X 55's
4 X 55's
6 X 25's
Cable Face Pulls @ Eye Level SS w/ DB Incline Press - Hard Squeeze @ Peak, 3 Count Negs:
12 X 70/12 X 50's
12 X 100/10 X 70's
10 X 120/6 X 80's
10 X 120/5 X 80's
Seated Machine Shoulder Press SS w/ Single Arm DB Shrugs:
10 X "7 Plate"/10 X 100
10 X "9 Plate"/10 X 100
6+4+3 X "11 Plate" - Rest Pause/10 X 100
Cable Flyes - High Position:
20 X 40
20 X 60
9 X 80 - Failure
13 X 50 - Failure
Seated DB Side Laterals - DB In Crook of Arm:
20 X 25
15 X 20
10 X 15
12 X 10
*No Rest, One Big Dropset

Ended up being wayyyy under my daily total for cals by the end of the day. Feel like poopoo today, iffy on if I want to train or not. I'm positive that not sleeping well last night had the most impact on how I feel today, but being under my mark on cals didn't help either. Anyway, chest and shoulders was a great session. By the time I got to the incline DB's, my chest was worn out. Got some good negative work in there though.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
if you have a day with nothing else planed and dont have much to do the next day and really want to push yourself, go all out
i did 2 exercises for each body part with 40-60 % of max. make sure you have gatorade with you and throw in some bcaa's
Sounds insane. I'll have to try that on a day when I'm coming off of a rest day and don't have much to do. I'm sure I'll be pretty sore from that much volume in one session. Exercise selection seems like it would be key here as well.

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
Lmao, ya'll crack me up. Whenever I make my way to Germany I'll be sure to do some German Volume Beer Drinking. I'll even convert it to kilos for everyone.
LOL @ the conversion :D, you'll convert it to something, I have no doubt :scool:

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
LOL @ the conversion :D, you'll convert it to something, I have no doubt :scool:
Haha no doubt. I'm no chemist, but probably converted into sugars and ethanol as its broken down and passed through the body Maybe I have the process backwards, like I said, I'm no chemist. Lol

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
20JUN16

Back:

Conv Deadlift:
15 X 135
12 X 225
8 X 315
1 X 405
1 X 405
12 X 275 - "Widowmaker"
Seated Cable Rows - Underhand Grip:
12 X 140
10 X 170
8 X 200
8 X 200
8 X 200
Neutral Grip Chins - 4 Count Neg:
7 X BW
6 X BW
5 X BW
6 X BW
Prone Supported T-Bar Row - Neutral Grip, 2 Sec Holds:
12 X 1 Plate
8 X 2 Plates
7 X 3 Plates
6 X 3 Plates
8 X 1 Plate - Failure
Straight Arm Pulldowns SS w/ Close Grip Chins - V-Bar Draped Over Cable Station, Alternating Sides:
15 X 70/5 Each Side X BW
12 X 80/5 Each Side X BW
10 X 100/3 Each Side X BW

Conditioning:

KB Swings - Single Arm:
20/20 X 20kg
15/15 X 20kg
12/12 X 20kg

Glutes are on FIRE. Felt great once I got to the gym. Turned out to be way too nice of a day to not do anything. It warmed up nicely so that made me want to go even more. Kept up a great sweat, contractions, pumps, all the good stuff today. I've just gotta keep working on my pulls. I can't bang out a triple of 405 for the life of me. I think I'm getting close though. Only time will tell. Lat Pulldown machine is still broken. Might have to check out a different gym if it stays that way for a while, although using pull-ups more often isn't a bad thing.

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
nice set. and I am jealous of any machines you may have :D

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
nice set. and I am jealous of any machines you may have :D
True that, in perspective, I have access to more equipment than most home gym guys. Shouldn't be complaining then, huh? Lol

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hairy-Sparks reporting for duty.
Subbed.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
No cardio since Friday, trying to let this tendon/calf issue run its course. It's getting better each day, and I want to get to running with the dog again, but I also don't want to aggravate or re-injure anything.