Working towards 475 deadlift@148 bw

imlee888

Awards
Last time I maxed I got a 445 pull, hopefully in a month or two I can pull 475, and ultimately get closer to a 1000 lb total @ 148 lbs bw or under

Here's a vid of the 445 pull

http://youtu.be/SVqiSpIgaIo

Update, 450 pull

http://youtu.be/1lhtcG8I-_s

I got 425 for a triple three days ago. I'll try and post video updates for anyone interested

Any advice on training, form, or anything really is greatly appreciated,. Also, I know that my upper back rounds, I'm not very worried about it, I'm working on it, but I'm not going to sacrifice 75 lbs to focus entirely on fiingx it when it hasn't posed any problems yet and when I'm this close to a lifetime deadlift goal.

I figured I'd post video updates and do a video log of my progress

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Better off getting a video straight from the side.

It doesn't look like you open up your hips very well though. Should really be trying to get the hips as close to the bar as possible.

What you're doing looks more like a wide stance conventional.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And for the love of God man, eat a sandwich!

How's your training even set up? From the video it sounds like you just max out every week?

imlee888

Awards
Lol I want to compete in the weight class I'm in, but yeah i pretty much pull it like a conventional pull but with my hands on the inside. It just feels best to me. And I do little peaking cycles, but I do 3 week cycles, almost like a super butchered version of 5/3/1
The only reason I tried this weight again the next week is because I knew I could get it, I had just had an off week.

When I open my hips up more though, it makes the pull seem like it's all glutes and hams, and I can't even get 75% of my "max" off the floor. I'd say I use more of a semi sumo approach, really it's just a conventional pull with my hands inside my legs

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol I want to compete in the weight class I'm in, but yeah i pretty much pull it like a conventional pull but with my hands on the inside. It just feels best to me. And I do little peaking cycles, but I do 3 week cycles, almost like a super butchered version of 5/3/1
The only reason I tried this weight again the next week is because I knew I could get it, I had just had an off week.

When I open my hips up more though, it makes the pull seem like it's all glutes and hams, and I can't even get 75% of my "max" off the floor. I'd say I use more of a semi sumo approach, really it's just a conventional pull with my hands inside my legs
That's likely because you have weak glutes and hams.

Nothing wrong with semi sumo, in fact Ed Coan pulled that say. But he didn't pull it like you do, he still got his hips in and drove with his legs.

Personally, I think you'll be more competitive at a higher weight class (long term). As far as training itself, I'm not a fan of deadlifting for reps or even pulling that frequently.

Using squat variations to build the deadlift is better, and safer in the long term. Always remember, squatting builds your deadlift but deadlifting doesn't build your squat.

imlee888

Awards
That's true, I have been working on using my hams and glutes more, as well as opening my hips and just better form in general, but I usually do it at lower weights up until my working set which is probably counter productive honestly

imlee888

Awards
Last workout before I test, pulled some singles today, got an easy 435,425, and 415. Feel like ima get 455 when I test. Hopefully.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not that you asked... but your shoulders are way out in front of the bar on the first vid (fail), and slightly less so on the second. That can prompt slight rounding of the back which makes it hard to nail that lockout (like you see in the second video).

This video helps me with that, FWIW:

https://youtu.be/eHfS05aGsQ8

Nice work though.

imlee888

Awards
Everyone points out that I start with my shoulders far over the bar like that, but I don't believe I have any foward bar travel or anything and I lose a lot of power for some reason if I start with he bar closer to my shins. I don't mind the upper back rounding so much as I'm worried about my lower back rounding

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Another 66kg! Not many of us floating around lol

Looks like you have loose lats when you pull as well. Jim nailed the wedging your hips in better.

Good job pulling though!

imlee888

Awards
Yeah, I've never done lat work until lately, hopefully I'll be able to improve that as well

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I've never done lat work until lately, hopefully I'll be able to improve that as well
After grabbing the bar, I always "screw" my elbows into my obliques and tuck my lats to get them tight. Small cues pay off man!

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
Your arms are so long, they are just saying you would pull a lot more changing your form but you cant
expect a perfect dead lift just being a recreational lifter. So its not bad.

But just for some motivation...
I sponsor a girl who pulled 440lbs in competition......at 130lbs...2nd meet ever a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpyFS2nYaPw

imlee888

Awards
I want to compete and **** tho, but I want to be able to get like an 1100 lb total first. I got 350 on squat the other day, and am close to 225 on bench, do give it another year and I wanna start competing

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
I want to compete and **** tho, but I want to be able to get like an 1100 lb total first. I got 350 on squat the other day, and am close to 225 on bench, do give it another year and I wanna start competing
When it comes to totals. There is always one lift that will prob lag. For u its bench bc ur arms are so long. So you gotta blow out pulls and squat. Like 480 pull. 400 squat. 275 bench. Your a guy who can b known for pulls. A lot of powerlifters dnt even care abt total and focus on the one thing they are very good at. For u that will b pulls.

imlee888

Awards
When it comes to totals. There is always one lift that will prob lag. For u its bench bc ur arms are so long. So you gotta blow out pulls and squat. Like 480 pull. 400 squat. 275 bench. Your a guy who can b known for pulls. A lot of powerlifters dnt even care abt total and focus on the one thing they are very good at. For u that will b pulls.
That's basicaly what I have been doing, but when I see 50 lb progress on both squat and deadlift in 5 months, and 10 lb progress on bench in the same amount of time, I go from being hyped on being able to pull so easily for my weight, to being pissed that the ratio of my bench compared to my other lifts is ****

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
Nah mechanically ur arms are too long for a high bench. U go wider..you use less chest...you close ur grip you use a lot of tris. So for someone w very long arms its a lose lose. Your built like a wide reciver or basketball player. That type of frame benches for reps or does way better on incline dumbbell press versus bench. For instance me. Im 5'8" w long legs. I cant traditional dead but can go crazy sumo style.

imlee888

Awards
Nah mechanically ur arms are too long for a high bench. U go wider..you use less chest...you close ur grip you use a lot of tris. So for someone w very long arms its a lose lose. Your built like a wide reciver or basketball player. That type of frame benches for reps or does way better on incline dumbbell press versus bench. For instance me. Im 5'8" w long legs. I cant traditional dead but can go crazy sumo style.
You're the same height as me. Any tips for people with arms like mine to get their bench up?

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
You're the same height as me. Any tips for people with arms like mine to get their bench up?
W ur arms. U need stronger tris. Dips post workout. Tri kick backs. Will help u a lot last 1/3 of the bench. Also incline dumbells for front delt power on ur type of arms. Also you need to find the best grip on bench for ur body. That has a lot 2 do w it also. I bench abt 4" wider than shoulders. But post bench day I do these burn outs w 135lbs. Close grip 10x wide grip 10x then my competition grip 10x for 30 reps basically a superset/drop set combo

But dnt expect to jump in bench like pulls. Thats why I said for now...shoot for 275 bench. At 148 thats not bad. At 169 i was only benching 380 in comp. No equipment.

imlee888

Awards
That's such a huge difference though lol, and paused i can only get 215 :(

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
That's such a huge difference though lol, and paused i can only get 215 :(
Well ur 148 w long arms. Rapers wanna b basketball players. Football players wanna rap. Pulls and squat is ur go 2 for now. Train for a 2x bodyweight bench. Also dont be surprised if u gain 5 of 10lbs. Power lifting raises test and gh levels. But at 170lbs sht u might end up pulling 600lbs.

imlee888

Awards
Honestly I don't feel my deadlift slowing down any time soon. I know from 500-600 is a big jump, but I honestly think I could do it at this bodyweight