TNlifting's 5/3/1 Boring But Big Log

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Whats up fellas? I finally decided to start a training log to help keep me more accountable and dedicated to my workouts. This will be my first log of any kind, so feel free to let me know any pointers I could add to this.

First a little background on me:

21 years old, been training on and off for about four years now, but seriously for only about the last year. I'm 5'6" around 155 (I will do an accurate weigh in tomorrow morning), and about 14-15% bodyfat. My goal for this log is to work on furthering my strength foundation. Throughout my training experience, I have managed to make some decent gains compared to where I started at, but I have been kinda lazy about my diet and did random workouts I read in magazines for way too long when I first started. I never really built a solid foundation of strength that I feel is a critical aspect of training, especially for those who are newer to the weight game. As a result, my big 3 are super weak compared to what I feel they should be and I really want to work on improving them.

Training
I decided to do Wendler's Boring But Big variation of 5/3/1 because ive read some really good feedback on it and I feel like it is simple enough that it will be easy to stick to, yet still produce good gains. I will be training 4 days per week, each day dedicated to one of the 4 main lifts. It utilizes the 5/3/1 progression on the main lifts and then 5 sets of 10 for assistance work. You are supposed to pick 2 compound assistance exercises per workout. So for bench day, my assistance lifts are overhead press and and dumbbell rows. For squat day, they will be front squats or leg press and abs. For overhead press day, they will be bench and lat pulldowns. And for deadlift day, they will be leg curls or glute ham raises and abs. I probably didnt explain that well at all, but hopefully it makes more since once you see it written out.

Diet:
I will be eating right around or slightly above maintenance (2600 cals for me) to help keep my weight as lean as possible since I put on a little more fat than I intended over the holidays. Carbs will be coming from white and brown rice, oats, beans, sweet potatoes, and occasionally some whole wheat pasta and such. Proteins are the usual. Lots of poultry, eggs, whey, occasionally fish and beef. Fats will be coming from peanut butter, my meats, and olive and coconut oil.

Supplements I will be using
Multi, whey, V1TALITY, occasional preworkout. Nothing fancy at all here.

Today was my very first workout with this program. So here it is:

Week 1: Bench Day
The weights I will be using will be calculated from my 3RM which is 175 for bench. Realistically, it is probably a little higher, but I decided to go on the lighter side since this is my very first cycle ever with this routine. The weights for my overhead press here are about 50% of what I will be using for my working sets on my overhead press day. I just picked moderate weights for the back exercises.

Flat Bench
Warm up
115x5 reps
130x5 reps
150x6 reps

Overhead Press
Warm up
65x10
65x10
65x8
55x10
45x10

I used very strict form here since the assistance work is supposed to be lighter. And holy chit the burn I felt in my shoulders was intense! First time I have done that much volume on overhead presses. I couldnt even complete my third set so I dropped the weight down for my last two sets.

DB rows
35x10
35x10
35x10

Neutral Grip Cable Rows
70x10
85x10

I decided to split my back assistance work between both dumbbell rows and the cable rows because I feel like it will give me more well rounded back development since for me DB rows hit my lats hard and the cable rows hit my mid back hard. Combined, it is still 5 sets of 10 which is what the program calls for, so I think it will work well.

Overall, it was a really good workout. Thats all I have for now. Sorry if I went into too much detail, but I wanted to make sure I was nice and thorough for whenever I read back through this later. I'm off to go eat now. Please feel free to give me any comments or pointers you may have and thanks for reading!

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Worked a 13 hour shift today, so needless to say I had a rest day. I was way too tired afterwards and theres no way I could have squatted. Im off tomorrow though, so I will get plenty of rest tonight and hit the gym in the morning. I only ate 2300 cals yesterday. Its the first time I have tracked my macros this closely in a while, and I have forgotten how hard it is to eat enough while keeping everything clean. I Will update again tomorrow after I get back from the gym from my squat workout.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Week 1 Squat Workout

Took 1/2 scoop of Vitality mixed with 1 scoop of some old preworkout that Im trying to use up
Took the other 1/2 scoop of Vitality post workout
Also forgot to add that I weighed in at 157.0 lbs yesterday morning

Back squats
135x5
155x5
175x8

Front Squats
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10
85x10

Ab wheel rollout (not exactly sure what you call these lol)
x10
x10
x6

Hanging Leg Raises
x10
x10

Seated Calf Raises
25 on each side x 10
25x10

The program doesnt call for any calf exercises to my knowledge, but calves are definitely a weak point for me so I thought I would at least do a couple light sets and really focus on form and squeezing the muscle. Really solid workout here. It was definitly very difficult doing so much volume on squats even though it wasnt with very much weight. My next workout will be my overhead press day. I work another 12 hours tomorrow, so I will most likely just go to the gym Saturday morning. I'm going to spend the rest of my day today prepping some food so I have plenty to eat this evening and tomorrow at work.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Week 1 Overhead Press Workout

OHP
warm up
75x5
85x5
95x7

Flat Bench
warm up
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10

DB rows
50x10
50x10
50x10

Seated Neutral Grip Cable Rows
70x10
85x10

Overhand Grip EZ Bar Curls
35x25
35x15

Straight Barbell Curls
45x12

I think I under estimated my training maxes for over head press and bench because todays workout was pretty easy. I still had plenty of energy after my main exercises so I did three sets of curls just to hit my forearms and biceps a little. Im betting things will get more difficult in future weeks. Even though it was an easier day, I still got a good pump. I had a cheat meal last night so maybe it was all the extra calories lol. On a side note, my legs are still ridiculously sore from squats a couple days ago, so that is a good sign! Ive got deadlifts tomorrow. The program calls for 5x10 of deadlifts after the main 531 work. High volume deadlifts usually dont get along well with my lower back no matter how close I seem to pay attention to my form, so I may just have to do them super light. If that doesnt work, then I guess Ill just do glute ham raises or leg curls instead.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Didnt get around to updating yesterday, but here is my deadlift workout I did yesterday morning.

Week 1: Deadlifts

Sumo DL
warmup
135x5
135x5
155x5

I didnt worry about the percentages today and instead just focused solely on my form. I hurt my back ego lifting with deads when I first started out and now its almost impossible for me to do very many deadlifts without it giving me trouble. Switching to sumo has helped quite a bit, but Im still trying to get my hips and glutes to activate properly before I try anything heavy.

Glute Ham Raises
4 sets x 6-10 reps (I wasnt counting :( )

First time ever doing these, and I must say my hamstrings are reallllly sore today.

Ab wheel
3 sets x 6-8 reps

Hanging Ab Raises
x25
x15

Trap Bar Farmer's Walk
115 x 3 sets

Not exactly sure the distance here, maybe 50 feet each set. I did these with light weight here just to get a little conditioning and work on grip strength.

Overall, I'd say I've had a pretty good first week. I'm enjoying the program so far. My diet wasn't the cleanest the past couple days, but it wasn't terrible either. Also, I want to add that I'm really enjoying V1TALITY. I bought a tub of every flavor since it is so cheap right now. Currently going through the wicked melon and I honestly didn't care for it much at first. Taste is very strong, but It's growing on me now! I know it isn't really marketed to be a pump product, but I have noticed better pumps and as a result more DOMS since I have started taking it. I start week 2 tomorrow with bench day. Gonna try and get some pictures up for a baseline comparison here soon.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Just a quick update

Week 2: Bench Day

Flat Bench
warm up
125x3
135x3
155x8*

the last set of the 5/3/1 work has you do as many reps as possible with the goal being at least 3 in this particular instance

OHP
65x10
65x10
65x10
55x10
45x10

DB Rows
35x10
35x10
40x10

Neutral Grip Cable Rows
70x10
85x10

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
IMG_0880 (2).png

IMG_0881 (2).png

IMG_0883 (2).jpg

use this one (2).png

Apologies for taking so long to get some pictures up. Been crazy busy with work and school.

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
Subbed, brother. Excited to see hoe 5/3/1 works for you

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Week 2: Squat Workout

Back Squats
warm up
145x3
165x3
185x6

Probably had a couple left in the tank on the last set there, but didnt want to gas myself too soon

Front Squats
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10

Definitely noticed an increase in endurance during my front squat sets this week. Didnt feel nearly as tiring as last weeks sets.

Ab wheel
2 sets x10 reps

Reverse crunches
2 sets x 10 reps

Hanging Ab Raises
1 set of 15 reps

Seated Calf Raises (really trying to focus on the contraction with these. I have issues properly targeting my calves.)
25 on each side x10
25x10
20x10

Finished everything up with some stretching/foam rolling and yoga poses. Really good workout today.

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
Everything is coming together man. The thing I liked about boring but big was that if you used 95% of your 1mr for training max you can usually pretty easily hit a triple for your "1+" set on the third week. Helped my confidence go up alot. And even when I wasn't feeling 100% I could still get a clean single.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Everything is coming together man. The thing I liked about boring but big was that if you used 95% of your 1mr for training max you can usually pretty easily hit a triple for your "1+" set on the third week. Helped my confidence go up alot. And even when I wasn't feeling 100% I could still get a clean single.
Yeah I bet! Im using about 90% of my 1RM for my training max. I figured I would err on the side of too light instead of too heavy at first just to get a feel for everything. I'm about to hit the gym for my overhead press day here in a little. Praying I dont get stuck in the snow lol.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Week 2: Overhead Press

OHP
warm up
80x3
90x3
105x5*

Flat Bench
warm up
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10

DB Rows
40x10
50x10
50x10

Neutral Grip Cable Rows
70x10
90x10

Was feeling really good today, so I did some light biceps/forearms work too.

Seated Hammer Curls
17.5x12
17.5x12

Overhand Straight Bar Curls
45x12

Another really good workout. Weights were moving nice and smoothly. Got a nice pump. Gonna do my deadlift day tomorrow, and then that will wrap up week 2. I'm excited to see what I put up on my 1+ sets next week.

Also gonna finish this post with my post workout meal..

IMG_0899.JPG

10oz steak
1 sweet potato
1 cup of rice
Was delicious!

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Here is Sunday's deadlift workout

Week 2: Deadlifts

Sumo DL
warm up
135x3
150x3
165x3

Glute Ham Raises
4 sets x bodyweight x 10 reps

Still trying to get my form down 100% on these since I am completely new to this exercise, but I am liking them so far.

Hanging leg raises
x20
x15

Planks
2 sets x30 sec hold

Just kinda a "meh" workout. I can tell the weight on the deadlifts is definitely light, because they are quite easy, but my back keeps giving me trouble. Its like my spinal erectors fire way harder than my glutes/hamstrings/quads and as a result I get debilitating pumps in my lower back. I wore my belt for the last set and it seemed to help some, so maybe I will try wearing a belt the whole time for my next deadlift day. I researched this issue a ton yesterday and the day before and I think the cause is a combination of postural issues from sitting too much, and a muscular imbalance from my early days of deadlifting with chit form. From now on, Im going to foam roll my lower body quite a bit on my squat and deadlift days and see if I can loosen up some and get my leg muscles to fire more.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Week 3: Bench Workout

Just got back from the gym this morning, and I must say today went really great. I had a rest day yesterday, and made sure to eat well over maintenance in preparation for today's workout, and I was really in the zone today.

Had my V1TALITY when I left the house, and then I finished off a tub of MAN Sports Game Day preworkout I have had forever once I got to the gym.

Flat Bench
warm up
130x5
150x3
165x6, with pause on last rep.

Benching felt great today. The weights were feeling light, and I managed to get 6 very clean reps on my 1+ set. Now keep in mind I did low ball my training max just a bit for this first cycle with this program, but I am still pleased with my performance today.

Overhead Press
65x10
65x10
65x10
65x10
65x10

Again very clean reps. Felt much much easier than in the previous weeks. Really got a good pump in my shoulders and traps.

DB Rows
40x10
50x10
60x10

Seated Neutral Grip Cable Rows
70x10
100x10

Pretty happy with how today went. Let's hope the rest of the week goes this well too!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Subbed. Looking good in here man.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Week 3: Squats

Back Squat
warm up
155x5
175x3
195x4 paused

Went nice and slow on the descent and really tried to control the movement and get some quality reps here. My form felt really solid today.

Front Squats
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10

I tried to up the intensity with these since I did so well with them last week. I used the same weight, but I cut back on rest time between sets. Last set was kinda rough. I felt so gassed going into it. I guess I need to work on my conditioning lol. My legs were like jello by the time I was done. I'll probably be feeling these tomorrow.

Hanging Leg raises
4sets x 10reps

Oblique wood choppers on the cable machine
2sets x 10 reps on each side

Finished up with some foam rolling and stretching. Overall, another good day. I can tell my squat will definitely go up if I stick to this.

On a side note, diet has just been so so. Im getting plenty of calories, but they could be cleaner. I need to do better with prepping my food so I have something healthy to eat when I get home from work/school.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
OHP day from Friday:

Week 3: OHP day

Overhead press
warm up
85x5
95x3
110x5

Really happy with my last set here. Ill be closing in on my first ever 135lb OHP soon if I keep this rate up.

Flat Bench
95x10
95x10
95x10
105x10
105x10

Bumped up the weight a bit on my last couple of sets because 95 was just too easy.

DB Rows
40x10
40x10
40x10

Neutral Grip Cable Rows
70x10
100x10

Felt pretty tired towards the end here so I didnt go as hard as I normally do on my back exercises. Just wasnt feeling them.. But my pressing went pretty well so Im happy about that.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Week 3: Deadlifts

Just got back from the gym about an hour ago. Spent a TON of time foam rolling my quads/hip flexors and doing some stretches to get my glutes activate more in order to help keep the stress off of my lower back.

Deadlifts
warm up
135x5
155x3
175x1

I wore my belt during all of my sets today. Seemed to have helped some. My back was just barely bothering me on my last set. Overall, these actually felt decent today. Not happy with my chitty deadlifting. Could have done more, but dont want to push it too soon and wind up regretting it later. Its a work in progress I suppose lol.

Glute Ham Raises
x10
x10
x10
x7
x6

Planks
2 sets x 30 sec hold gonna go for longer next time

Hanging Leg Raises
x10
x10
x10

Well this concludes my 3rd week. Next week is my deload so it wont be very exciting. Will try and post more diet related things up. Now I have a question, preferably for those who have ran 5/3/1 before, but anyone please chime in. After my deload, how should I go about increasing my training max? I was considering adding 10lbs to my bench max, 15lbs for my squat, 5 or 10 for my OHP. I was planning on keeping deadlift the same and actually doing the 5/3/1 progression this time around since hopefully my lower back issue continues to improve. Any suggestions guys?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It'll get better. I rarely feel it in my back unless I go 8+ on some significant weight.

135 OHP soon!

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for no updates recently. Deload week has indeed been pretty boring and my workouts have been really short so I didn't see a need to go into detail. I will say it's going well though, but I'm itching to get back to the more challenging stuff. Diet has been pretty good this week, still feeling kinda fluffy though.

On a different note, I'm considering starting an ostarine cycle here within the next couple of weeks. I have everything I need for it, just need to get some bloods done. It would be my very first cycle of anything considered anabolic. I was planning on doing a short 6 weeker at 15mg daily to start and possibly bumping up to 20 for the last two weeks. I know osta is normally ran for at least 8 weeks, but I want to keep it short the first time around just to see how I react to the compound. Anyways that's all I've got to say for now. Let me know what you guys think.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Today starts a new cycle for me. I upped by bench and overhead press training max by 10 lbs, squat by 15, and kept DL the say for the sake still trying to perfect my form before attempting to go heavy.

So my training maxes for this cycle are as follows:
Bench 185
Overhead Press 125
Squat 220
Deadlift 185

Week 1: Bench

Flat Bench
warm up
120x5
140x5
155x8

Overhead Press
warm up
70x10
70x10
70x10
70x8
65x7

doing 5 sets of 10 is so tough even though they are light. Couldnt complete last two sets. Killer pumps though

DB Rows
45x10
50x10
50x10

Chest Supported Tbar Row
35x10
35x10

Pretty good workout. I decided Im going to postpone doing an ostarine cycle for now.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Shoulder has been bothering me both yesterday and today.. Not sure what's up with that, but I'm really hesitant to do anything today for fear of making it worse. Gonna take today off and see how it feels tomorrow.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
So shoulder is fuk'd. I can barely move it above parallel to the ground without this impingement type pain. I have no idea how I could have hurt it. I don't feel like it happened in the gym. My only guess is that I hurt it moving a huge patient at the hospital I work at.

I'm really fuk'n pissed about this too. It's like as soon as I feel like I'm making some good progress I get injured. So frustrating. Overhead pressing is definitely out of the question. I did some light benching today and it felt pretty decent actually, but I'm not going to risk hurting it worse by going heavier. I haven't been consistent with the rest of the program this week either. I think I'm going to take a full week off with nothing but maybe some cardio and bodyweight stuff if I can, and then re evaluate from there.