HokiePride...{The Return}...2016

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last
  1. HokiePride...{The Return}...2016

2015 Started off as a year on shaky ground. I was working for a Consol Energy. I was recently transferred from the Virginia Operation where I originally was hired as an Instrumentation Technician. I worked within the Electrical Department. Following a few years of positive growth and earning a Master Degree I was shipped asked to transfer to Pennsylvania to work within the drilling department, Winter 2012. This in turn started the downturn of my family demise. They then decided my services was no longer needed and terminated my employment February 2015. Feeling distraught and breaking away from the gym, I was playing semi pro football for the Indiana Tomahawks. During this period, AnabolicMinds experienced some issues with their website and I had difficulty logging onto my account and felt I was being added to their Blacklist for not completing a product run. It was a misunderstanding on my part. I then picked up the pieces day by day and struggled to find employment but eventually I landed a job. It wasn't what I felt would quit get our family through. I then parted ways and continued to look. Finally, a job I applied to a year earlier opened it's doors and the rest is now history. Fast forward to today and I'm back on the grind. This log will be the start of a permanent reference where I will log my workouts, nutrition and lifestyle. If your in, then welcome. If your just stopping by, leave a comment. If you wish to remain on board, subscribe. On that note, my first workout will commence tomorrow when the gym is open after I leave work.

2. Sunday January 4th, 2016

First workout of the year. After getting off work head home but too a detour and jumped on Route 30 headed East, to hit the gym. After realizing I forgot to eat I quickly downed a sandwich from my lunchbox and swallowed a lean body RTD. Love these by the way, for on the go. Once entering the gym got myself together and realized I will once again be without a spotter. But tracking back to 11/26 when I first began my WAVE Bench program, it was created to get strong enough to bench without a spotter on hand. This WAVE is tricky since I have now entered new territory and I was successful in completing it without help. Although, there was a guy who noticed what I was doing and quickly ran over to assist. I explained don't touch the bar or give me a lift off. I'm doing this on my own. For your own sanity you may stand by. just in case. The reps are 3,2,1 with a five minute rest post wave. You follow the from top to bottom, then move to the right, then down until completing all three WAVES.

Chest Day!
    Bench Press Wave 13!
    365 370 375
    380 385 395
    385 400 405

This is all I had the energy for due to lack of sleep and food in my system. So tonight will be accessory movements on Chest, Triceps and Biceps. This initially will be a 6 week program I'm utilizing to bring up not only Bench but arms. Arms will be worked 1-3 times a week. It will all be noted during throughout log. Also, breaking down supplementation, simply three meals a day, 3 RTD with aminos, L-Carnitine {liquid} and Quadracarn.

I'll leave you with this for Motivation: How Bad DO You Want It!
    https://youtu.be/lsSC2vx7zFQ
    •   

3. Thursday, Jan. 7, 2016, Day 7/365

Trained everyday up until yesterday. Hitting back, arms, chest twice throughout the last week. Tonight after work headed home to see family. Working 12hrs and traveling is grueling, but I do it for the love of my little peoples. My hand is still at 60% strength although it hasn't stopped any push progress but hinders any pulling movements. This month makes It 8 months post surgery and the scary tissue continues to be a battle with allowing full motion. Going back to surgeon for a second time for an evaluation since November in hopes he goes back in a cleans out tissue.

Meanwhile, My 3 yr. old will turn 4 on January 15. I'm eyeing up my first meet in two years with RPS Power. Seeking to destroy three records in bench/squat. Dead will come once I figure a new way to grip a bar for pulling movements to build on it. I still hold a World Record with York Barbell and I have plans to smash it around my birthday. Lastly, I'm going to cross over a milestone on January 20, 2016. This will designate my final day on probation with my new employer. Being on probation for 6 months is tough and it will be great celebration for things to come. This is an exciting month and many more great days to come for 2016.

Taking the next five days off to spend with family, time for relaxation and rejuvenation and hit it hard in preps for meet in February.

Mike Rashid and Big Boy, Bench Press Marathon!!!
    https://youtu.be/yN-IDltZl9k
  4. Jan. 13, 2013 Week III, Bench Day, Wave 11

So, I'm back from home for another week in my absolute and complete transformation to becoming more defined and cut. I'm definitely looking forward to the next 10 days of maximizing gym time while training on my next job at work. I have one week of probation left, from the original 6 months and I'm union. Yeahhhhh. In two days my oldest son turns 4 but he will have his birthday party next Saturday where he can celebrate in front of his huge family that we get together on both sides. It's going to be awesome.

Todays Workout:
    Bench Press Matrix
    3 375 380 385
    2 390 395 405
    1 395 410 415

This is all the workload I had time for. The way this works is each column represents a wave. 375x3, 390x2 & 395x1. Take five to 7 minute break and repeat next column.
    Lets Say you do everything that you are supposed to do. You check all the boxes. You Believe, you prepare, you work, you fight, and you know your why, and Life still catches you on your blindside..... Just remember Failure Is Never Final !!!!

5. Hokie! That how bad do you want it video was my go to for motivation for years!!!!! You get tons of reps for that!
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Hokie! That how bad do you want it video was my go to for motivation for years!!!!! You get tons of reps for that!
    Thanks bunches, @puccah8808, making this the best log I've ever done, with all kinds of motivation.
    Lets Say you do everything that you are supposed to do. You check all the boxes. You Believe, you prepare, you work, you fight, and you know your why, and Life still catches you on your blindside..... Just remember Failure Is Never Final !!!!

7. Quote Originally Posted by HokiePride View Post
    Thanks bunches, @puccah8808, making this the best log I've ever done, with all kinds of motivation.
    That's exactly what we need here!
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-

8. I want in!

I'm having a hard time understanding your workout rep/sets?
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬

9. @puccah8808, I will do my best. @RegisterJr, I'll explain in more detail.
  10. Januuary 14, 2016. Another Day in the life.

I get off work in the AM, @5:00 to be exact and return to my current residence where I'm boarding with family until I can buy another home once my current one sells. I settle in to sleep and guess what? It doesn't happen. I laid awake all morning, It wouldn't have been so bad except that I get a call to come in for OT. Of course, I'm not going to turn down extra pay, so I say yes. Then the battle continued and I lost. So around 2pm I get ready, grab my stuff and head to my playground on no sleep.

Back Day {Light}
    Pulldowns 5 x 20
    Banded Pullups ~{Black Band} 8x8
    Hammer Pulldown~5 x 20

Biceps
    Bar Curl 40lbs.~ 6 x 30
    Hammer Curls ~ 25lbs x 4 x 30

Todays Motivation Video "That One Day you didn't get up can push you back, I don't know How long.":
    https://youtu.be/Ln_lm5p6HZk?list=PL...Ll3t8oCdFvidDN

Imagine if Steph Curry would have listened to his critics:
    https://youtu.be/WLb8AwuZ7N8
  11. January 20, 2016 Bench Day

Today is the first day back for this week. I repeated the bench matrix. It goes like this:

Warm Up:
    135 x 20, 225 x 15, 315 x 10

Work Sets
    380 x 3, 390 x 2, 395 x 1
    385 x 3, 395 x 2, 410 x 1
    385 x 3, 405 x 1,

Began Reverse Pyramid:
    365 x 3, 315 x 8, 275 x 10, 225 x 10

I finished with Cable Corssovers Mid/Low

After finishing the sets I decided to call the quits since I had to work tonight. I'm also going to begin incorporating cardio into my program. I need to do so without sacrificing muscle or strength. The more I think about it, the more I almost think I should forget the gains in order to tear down weight in some capacity and then rebuild but it's a toss up. For now, I'll log it and add it in 2-3 times a week. I must also add work requires an excessive amount of walking 4-7 miles depending on the job yet I haven't improved cardio vascular wise. Some input can be helpful. Any reasons as to why?

12. Considering you already lift walking may not really increase your HR much, and not enough to burn calories. Adding in cardio while adding in some BCAA should prevent any major muscle loss. I can't remember where, probably from a Meadows article, that it's more beneficial to cardio exercise after weight lifting.

Try some stairs or incline cardio.

As always, strong benching man.
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬

13. Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    Considering you already lift walking may not really increase your HR much, and not enough to burn calories. Adding in cardio while adding in some BCAA should prevent any major muscle loss. I can't remember where, probably from a Meadows article, that it's more beneficial to cardio exercise after weight lifting.

Try some stairs or incline cardio.

As always, strong benching man.
    After being snowed in like most people on the East Coast, My wife and I dug out our vehicles at our Mother-In-Laws Apartment complex. We had to drop off our newly purchased SUV for repair. Fresh off the dealers lot. Seems to be leaking fuel and will cost me upwards $1,100. Get this the dealer asked me to come in and purchase a warranty so it can be covered. Really? You won't accept any liability for selling me a vehicle that is basically a moving bomb. I didn't have money at the time to purchase but don't you love the dishonesty of people these days. It's awesome.

@RegisterJr, I see what you mean...I feel adding in hill walking will be just the answer to my issue. I think your right, my HR isn't being raised enough but the amount of walking is excessive. Almost, to the point of not wanting to workout. I can't let work win so I will find a way. adding in cardio w/ aminos will be my next step.

Today marks week 3 of 2016. Finally got back to a solid 405 Bench and now I will work to maintain it and bring up my cardio. I Squat/Dead will be minimal in terms of weight and PR. Working to keep the #'s medium and high volume. If you've been watching or lurking I'm holding myself accountable and to the highest degree.

14. Quote Originally Posted by HokiePride View Post
    After being snowed in like most people on the East Coast, My wife and I dug out our vehicles at our Mother-In-Laws Apartment complex. We had to drop off our newly purchased SUV for repair. Fresh off the dealers lot. Seems to be leaking fuel and will cost me upwards $1,100. Get this the dealer asked me to come in and purchase a warranty so it can be covered. Really? You won't accept any liability for selling me a vehicle that is basically a moving bomb. I didn't have money at the time to purchase but don't you love the dishonesty of people these days. It's awesome.

@RegisterJr, I see what you mean...I feel adding in hill walking will be just the answer to my issue. I think your right, my HR isn't being raised enough but the amount of walking is excessive. Almost, to the point of not wanting to workout. I can't let work win so I will find a way. adding in cardio w/ aminos will be my next step.

Today marks week 3 of 2016. Finally got back to a solid 405 Bench and now I will work to maintain it and bring up my cardio. I Squat/Dead will be minimal in terms of weight and PR. Working to keep the #'s medium and high volume. If you've been watching or lurking I'm holding myself accountable and to the highest degree.
    That freaking sucks! My mom bought her RAV4 brand new in 2010 and she's had so many freaking recalls. They should fix it for free!!

15. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    That freaking sucks! My mom bought her RAV4 brand new in 2010 and she's had so many freaking recalls. They should fix it for free!!
    I found even more devastating news about my newfound vehicle. It has surface rust on the entire underside of the vehicle. After paying 1k to fix the fuel tank and lines I'm so over this vehicle already. What can you do except accept what I purchased and live with it for awhile until I pay down on the principle. Meanwhile, I have a large 4,000lb ornament in my driveway {Lincoln Navigator} that has blown air ride system. By the way, I found the Cadillac Escalade also has a blown air ride system as well except it's only used for towing. It's not completely necessary like it is for the Lincoln. Anyways, I paid 3k for the Lincoln to get worked on and it's still sitting after the dealership nickel and dimed me over it. The only vehicle I don't have issues with is the one I purchased Brand New in 2003, Nissan Altima. It's still going strong and hard.
  16. Friday January 29. Winter 2016. The beginning of Calisthenics/Powerlifting:

I started my journey to slim down, weigh less and get back to a more reasonable weight. I've finally admitted the difficulty I have moving around, although I have tons of strength. It's nothing when you can't complete simple tasks without breathing like you ran a marathon and all I did was walk up steps. Lifting heavy weight with poor cardio is a terrible mix. I've begun training on a treadmill to complete semi HIIT. My work effort compared to most is laughable but here again, I'm admitting to myself the struggle and making a mends to begin doing what I've been leaving out for quit some time. Here is what I completed last few days.

Wednesday
    Bench:
    Warm Up: 135x15, 225x10, 315x10
    Wave 1: 375x3, 385x2, 395x1
    Wave 2: 380x3, 395x2, 410x1
    Wave 3: 405x3
    Finished off with Cable Crossovers, Incline Flyes

Thursday:
    Close Grip Pulldowns: 4x15
    Machine FLyes: 4x15
    Close Grip Pullups: 1, 2, 3, 3
    Treadmill: 2.5 {Resting}, 4.5 {This is considered a sprint for now, sad I know}
    20minutes

Again this is my starting point and me admitting my cardio is in the trash. Everyone has to begin somewhere. This is my restart.

17. Quote Originally Posted by HokiePride View Post
    I started my journey to slim down, weigh less and get back to a more reasonable weight. I've finally admitted the difficulty I have moving around, although I have tons of strength. It's nothing when you can't complete simple tasks without breathing like you ran a marathon and all I did was walk up steps. Lifting heavy weight with poor cardio is a terrible mix. I've begun training on a treadmill to complete semi HIIT. My work effort compared to most is laughable but here again, I'm admitting to myself the struggle and making a mends to begin doing what I've been leaving out for quit some time. Here is what I completed last few days.

Wednesday
    Bench:
    Warm Up: 135x15, 225x10, 315x10
    Wave 1: 375x3, 385x2, 395x1
    Wave 2: 380x3, 395x2, 410x1
    Wave 3: 405x3
    Finished off with Cable Crossovers, Incline Flyes

Thursday:
    Close Grip Pulldowns: 4x15
    Machine FLyes: 4x15
    Close Grip Pullups: 1, 2, 3, 3
    Treadmill: 2.5 {Resting}, 4.5 {This is considered a sprint for now, sad I know}
    20minutes

Again this is my starting point and me admitting my cardio is in the trash. Everyone has to begin somewhere. This is my restart.
    Admitting the truth to yourself is the beginning. I am in the same boat and had to do the same thing. "Oh, I'm not that big, I have a lot of muscle and strength!" Nah, I'm out of shape!!!

You got this!

18. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    Admitting the truth to yourself is the beginning. I am in the same boat and had to do the same thing. "Oh, I'm not that big, I have a lot of muscle and strength!" Nah, I'm out of shape!!!

You got this!
    Thanks @Puccah, for sure. Im going to track my development daily. The goal is to do something daily to move towards my goal and be finished by August 2016.
    It will be challenging but micro steps.

19. I'm right there with you. I need to up the cardio and lower the junk.

20. Update: life has been hectic and I'm on track to continue building on cardio. I see its been almost a week since last post but my mother-in-law can't afford internet and my employer has striped us of all rights to a cpu. This is coming from my iPhone. Pretty ****ty situation but my only option until I sell my house and move my family closer to home.

Anyways, strength is on track and I plan to hit a bench only meet with RPS POWER. An organization that holds meets locally and state wide. I was supposed to compete there a fee years ago, paid my fee and couldn't make the meet. Lost my fee. Here is another opportunity and I plan to see where I stand. Then I'll work to do a full power, while cutting weight.

21. Update: Hitting some back & Bis. Accidentally found out i can hit 135lb BB CURLS with minimal English. Guess what Im going to do. Add them in weekly of course. On another note. Just anticipating Saturday to smash some PRs.

22. Competed yesterday and walked away with first place but not without incident. Dropped 415lbs off my chest and walked out the place like a boss! In the gym back at it again....Benching of course!

23. Nice job Hokie!

24. That moment when you fond out your told your work life is more improvement than your family and they don't matter. Wow. This is something o have a hard time separating. One is affecting the other badly. I just can't fathom why I never thought differently. Stay tuned, I'll explain later.

25. Today was a short day in the gym. Been working towards a bigger Squat/Bench/Dead. Been awhile since posting but I will always move forward within this log. I
    just have limited access to a cpu since I work and live with my mother-in-law and my family {kids & wife} are in a different local. Mother-in-law doesn't
    have a cpu and work doesn't allow personal access. Once I'm moved to my hometown I will post much more. I recently attended a powerlifting competition with RPS Powerlifting. It was conducted at the AMVETS in Lancaster, PA {February 23, 2016} . It was an awesome event. although I dropped 415 on my chest due to the amount of chalk that was on the bar. People kept adding more andf more to the bar as the lifting occured throughout the day. Since I still have a bad grip with my left hand the chalk didn't allow me to hold it correctly and it slipped and fell on my chest. I heard the gasps and the crowd went silent. I got up and asked if I could hit it again but it was a fail since it was unracked. I walked away with a World Record for Military/SHW/Master 40-44. I will break it next year as well as the record I hold in York, Pa with the IPA Power Federation. I plan to remain local for the time being until I'm moved, settled and can focus on work.

Flat Bench
    Warm Up: 135x40, 225x20, 315x10
    Work Sets: 405x3, 455x1, 455x1, 425x1 405x3
    Cool Down: 365x5, 315x10, 275,10, 225x20

Cable Crossovers: 4x15x{Feeler Weight}
    Machine Pullover: 4x15x70lbs
    Bdwght Dips: 4x15x375lbs {yes I weigh this much}
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 11:51 AM
  2. The Return Of Saluu
    By ryano in forum General Chat
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 01:46 AM
  3. Pride USA - the Return of Fedor
    By jas123 in forum MMA
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 04:08 PM